• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackflag

Does MyFitnessPal do this? I was under the impression that it takes into account your lifestyle (for instance, I'm a waiter, so I'm always moving around), and it gives me maintenance calories at 2410. I didn't think it factored in cardio days and strength training.

Never use myfitnesspal to tell you how much you should be eating. It's absolutely horrible for that. Just use it to track food, nothing else.

Petrie

Banned
Well damn this made want to start tracking my calories now. Always wasnt sure since with all the e recipes i've tried out but guess just track every ingredient. Really should grab a food scale off Amazon to help as well. Def have noticed i haven't eaten nearly enough but have had no idea what high calorie high protein foods to eat that are clean. Off to costco in a bit to stock up then.

Also anyone know how many calories I should be eatif on non workout/workout days? I'm like 5'6 and 137 lbs. I've heard I need to take in around 2300-2500 calories on workout days and puke 2100-2200 on rest days. Man even though I learned how to cook for this reason, I still find getting my diet down difficult. Well I do make it harder on myself since I want to try out new recipes and vary it up rather than just eat the same thing and hit my macros.

IT's a lot easier when you make it a routine for the most part. Good luck though.

Never use myfitnesspal to tell you how much you should be eating. It's absolutely horrible for that. Just use it to track food, nothing else.

This isn't true. Just don't use the default numbers. Plug in your own.

For instance right now mine defaults to 1600 a day for my cut, and then I add in for various cardio and strength training, again using my own numbers. Works great.

Nelo Ice

Banned
IT's a lot easier when you make it a routine for the most part. Good luck though
Thanks, think I will stop being stubborn and just make it routine only changing it up once in awhile. Think I'll try getting that done this week along with lowering the weight and perfecting my form. Also gotta read through SS but sonic and all star racing transformed keeps distracting me. And just noticed I typed puke in my last post damn iOS typing.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination

Really? What do you recommend I use to calculate my daily caloric intake?

Jack_AG

Banned
Girlfriend got me this a few weeks back. Such an awesome pickup. I do about 5 every time I pass by my bedroom door.
I dare... Nay... DOUBLE DOG DARE you to do 6!

Also, I was considering picking something like this up and/or making my own bar since I have a drop ceiling in the dungeon. Does it hold up well?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
New unplanned PR on OHP in memory of Ryan Davis. Ordered fractional plates now though so that I don't have to summon the necessary chest hair for any more straight 5 lb jumps. ;b

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
New unplanned PR on OHP in memory of Ryan Davis. Ordered fractional plates now though so that I don't have to summon the necessary chest hair for any more straight 5 lb jumps. ;b

Dope. I have to make 10lb jumps on mine and it's HELL.

velociraptor

Hmmm...How do I put this.....yes. YES IT IS!

Diet is usually the most important thing keeping people from trimming fat or gaining muscle. The importance of getting your diet customized to accomplish your desired goal cannot be overstated.

What do you expect your body to use to build that muscle and strength?

Depends on what your definition of "shit ton" is and how fast your goals are. To put on muscle, you need to be at a calorie surplus. +500 cals a day is fine. People eat more because it is easier that way.
I understand eating on a caloric surplus is important but I am scared of fat gains. Isn't 500 additional calories per day too much? But truthfully I probably don't eat enough. I believe I only eat just above maintenance. I think I need to eat more. But I'm not sure how to hit a caloric surplus unless I eat like 350 grams of carbs a day; which is apparently a gateway to fat storage. Can someone please tell me that this carbs = bad/fattening 'theory' is bullshit?

thomaser

bo_oXtre3PL-Jk5aVqBYDQXUx75EB6wDb3lSg5X5xcqA

So this guy, Thorvald Andresen from Norway, just set a new world record: he lifted 191 kilos with his throat. The lift is called "Viking guillotine", and the goal is to hold up the bar with your throat for as long as possible. This guy lasted 25 seconds.

Says Thorvald: "Yes, this is very, very hurtful." Also, "This can be dangerous if you're unlucky. I don't recommend that other people do this." Not to mention: "Mum and dad don't like that I do this." But he only does it twice a month because it's such a pain.

Now YOU try.

blackflag

Really? What do you recommend I use to calculate my daily caloric intake?

Find your BMR
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Then multiply by one of these numbers.

1.2 = Sedentary (Desk job, and Little Formal Exercise)
1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Light daily activity AND light exercise 1-3 days a week)
1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately daily Activity & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise 6-7 days a week)
1.9-2.2 = Extremely Active (Athlete in ENDURANCE training or VERY HARD physical job)

add 300-500 for bulking..subtract 500 for cutting.

Start there and wait at least 2 weeks before adjusting.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Find your BMR
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Then multiply by one of these numbers.

1.2 = Sedentary (Desk job, and Little Formal Exercise)
1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Light daily activity AND light exercise 1-3 days a week)
1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately daily Activity & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise 6-7 days a week)
1.9-2.2 = Extremely Active (Athlete in ENDURANCE training or VERY HARD physical job)

add 300-500 for bulking..subtract 500 for cutting.

Start there and wait at least 2 weeks before adjusting.

WOW! Doing all the equations, I could continue losing weight (despite being already very lean) even if I up my daily calories by 350 from where they are now.

So on days that I may do slightly more cardio than average (say, burn 1000 calories), I can accommodate for that accordingly, right, and eat more?

I understand eating on a caloric surplus is important but I am scared of fat gains. Isn't 500 additional calories per day too much? But truthfully I probably don't eat enough. I believe I only eat just above maintenance. I think I need to eat more. But I'm not sure how to hit a caloric surplus unless I eat like 350 grams of carbs a day; which is apparently a gateway to fat storage. Can someone please tell me that this carbs = bad/fattening 'theory' is bullshit?

Excess carbs can make you fat. You still need to eat at a surplus to gain weight. If your goal is to build strength and size without drugs you just kind of have to accept a small bit of fat gain. It's how human metabolisms work.

Plus, there's a pretty big difference in health between "big serving of oatmeal" and "40 grams of sugar from a dr pepper." Don't use sugar to bulk, oh god.

Awesome progress. Yeah I'd say you could slow bulk at this point or just eat at maintenance until late fall and possible recomp some.

Word. I might do this as well. I need to find a routine to go with. A couple of people at the gym are doing Bodybuilding.com - Kris Gethin's DTP. I might do that as well since it is only 4 weeks and focuses more on total reps. I definitely want to work a bit more on size (for a few months) before going all in on some deadlifts and strength strength strength strength strength strength.

My HIIT routines commonly look like

5 minute warmup

1 minute high/ 1 minute low 10 reps(20 minutes)

Anyone have a better routine for HIIT?

If you are going hard for 1 minute, you are doing it wrong. I prefer Layne Norton's HIIT.

50 sec jog / 10 sec sprint
48 sec jog / 12 sec sprint
46 sec jog / 14 sec sprint
44 sec jog / 16 sec sprint
42 sec jog / 18 sec sprint
40 / 20
40 / 20
42 / 18
44 / 16
46 / 14
48 / 12
50 / 10

12 minutes total.

I need to get some as well. 5 lb jumps can be murder.

+500 calories a day won't get you fat. If you are doing things right, you will gain some fat but that will be minimal at best. And no, carbs are not bad/fattening. Hell, you need to eat them to give you more energy and it makes things easier to hit your macros. As fredrancour said though, there is a difference (IMO) between carbs from oatmeal vs carbs from soda. The mistake I made last year during my bulk is that I would just eat everything. Cereal, eggos, cookies, etc. Yeah, I gained muscle but also gained a lot more fat. You can only put on so much muscle a month and eating anything after that will just turn into fat. I can still enjoy my bowl of cereal, I just can't make it an nightly snack at 1 am along with 4 eggos like I did last year :)

blackflag

WOW! Doing all the equations, I could continue losing weight (despite being already very lean) even if I up my daily calories by 350 from where they are now.

So on days that I may do slightly more cardio than average (say, burn 1000 calories), I can accommodate for that accordingly, right, and eat more?

That should be factored in when you pick your activity level but if for some reason you'd rather eat more on certain days, you can subtract from rest days and add to those days.

blackflag

Excess carbs can make you fat. You still need to eat at a surplus to gain weight. If your goal is to build strength and size without drugs you just kind of have to accept a small bit of fat gain. It's how human metabolisms work.

Plus, there's a pretty big difference in health between "big serving of oatmeal" and "40 grams of sugar from a dr pepper." Don't use sugar to bulk, oh god.

Sugar bulk is best bulk. Dat carb backloading.

I'm kidding but only kind of.

agrajag

Banned
This here is great advice.

Thank you! I feel like after reading and posting in this thread so much and dicking around in the gym for a year, I'm finally starting to get some decent ideas about training.

I love them. Definitely my favorite biceps isolation exercise after machine preacher curls. They are hard too; I usually finish off my Friday with incline curls and I basically use the lightest dumbbells in the gym. (Not the pink ones though :p)

Yeah, they're super hard. I also switched to flat barbell curls instead of EZ bar after watching a Jason Blaha video he did about bicep curls. Something about biceps not contracting all the way if you don't use a fully supinated grip.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Where do people get their carbs from during a cut? I'm overshooting my protein/fat macros, but I can't for the life of me hit my carbs. Eating a bunch of fruits/veggies doesn't really get you much, and I'm hesitant to eat a lot of grains. I eat about 3 salads a day, two bananas, a peach, and a glass or two of milk and it's just not enough. I don't have access to brown rice which is unfortunate :(.

Is it better to break the diet and eat a slice of pizza a day or something to get enough carbs or undershoot just eating greens/fruits all day?

How the heck do you calculate exactly how many calories you've eaten during the day?

Isn't this a bit hard? Like:

For breakfast 4 eggs with a slice of bread

2. chicken with 4 potatoes and spinach + sallad

3 A sallad mixed with chicken and fetta-cheese

4. 450G cottage cheese

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How the heck do you calculate exactly how many calories you've eaten during the day?

4. 450G cottage cheese

Weigh it.

Where do people get their carbs from during a cut? I'm overshooting my protein/fat macros, but I can't for the life of me hit my carbs. Eating a bunch of fruits/veggies doesn't really get you much, and I'm hesitant to eat a lot of grains. I eat about 3 salads a day, two bananas, a peach, and a glass or two of milk and it's just not enough. I don't have access to brown rice which is unfortunate :(.

Is it better to break the diet and eat a slice of pizza a day or something to get enough carbs or undershoot just eating greens/fruits all day?

ewww brown rice

rice noodles, potatoes, white rice, oatmeal

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, they're super hard. I also switched to flat barbell curls instead of EZ bar after watching a Jason Blaha video he did about bicep curls. Something about biceps not contracting all the way if you don't use a fully supinated grip.

Can you link to the vid? My curls light my arms on FIRE, want to see what he has. Love me some Jason Blaha.

4. 450G cottage cheese

If you can't weigh it, you can just input the number of items into myfitnesspal (www.myfitnesspal.com).

So for breakfast, you specify that it was 4 eggs, and 1 slice of the bread (bar code scan the package of the bread, and specify 1 slice of said bread).
With the sallad, if you made it, it's just a matter of adding a chicken thigh, half a packet of feta cheese, three leaves of lettuce, two tomatoes, etc. The last one is the easiest, as you simply input 450g of cottage cheese.

Done!
Took you only 5 minutes.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, good luck with that

It's not tough to do. Put food on scale, make calculations. I recommend food scales highly. But if you don't want to put in the work to accurately track your food, I don't know what to tell ya.

Zoe

That should be factored in when you pick your activity level but if for some reason you'd rather eat more on certain days, you can subtract from rest days and add to those days.

I prefer choosing a level at your non-active days and then adding in the actual expenditure per workout.

image.php

Is that how you feel right now?

Don't give in bro!

honestly? yea

Especially working full time...you come home and you want to park your ass on the couch, boot up the console or some netflix and enjoy some chow.

And the thing with me is I'm just not losing weight easily these days...I honestly feel like I have to starve myself completely to see results.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
honestly? yea

Especially working full time...you come home and you want to park your ass on the couch, boot up the console or some netflix and enjoy some chow.

And the thing with me is I'm just not losing weight easily these days...I honestly feel like I have to starve myself completely to see results.

Fuck it. You have focus. Stay focused. You don't need that shit.

I'm telling this to myself too. oh god I want it.

Ok, so I'll buy food thats easy to keep track of in the future.

I've been thinking on bulking: by eating 500 extra kalories per day for 3 months. How much weight would I gain then? Would most of it be muscles if I gym 3 times a week? Would I need Hiit cardio during the bulk?

After those 3 months I'll then start deffing for the next 3 months.

Will I look ripped in 6 months if I do it right?

4. 450G cottage cheese

I think the eggs bread and cottage cheese would all have serving estimates on the package, at least.

Jack_AG

Banned
Well that's it for me for pull type exercises for a bit. Just wrecked my elbow on rep 1 of Pendlay rows. I've had tennis elbow for years and it always just "hurt". I could work through pain, etc.

Today it said "fuck you" and lit me up. Dropped the bar straight to the floor. No fucking way. Shit hurts too much :(

I will take it easy on pull exercises this week and next and give it another go - if it continues to hurt, I might need to swap to underhand exercises. No real way to let this thing rest as I have a physical job. I'd need a good few weeks off with zero mobility to get any kind of healing done, fml.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, so I'll buy food thats easy to keep track of in the future.

I've been thinking on bulking: by eating 500 extra kalories per day for 3 months. How much weight would I gain then? Would most of it be muscles if I gym 3 times a week? Would I need Hiit cardio during the bulk?

After those 3 months I'll then start deffing for the next 3 months.

Will I look ripped in 6 months if I do it right?

Well that's one way to track it easier without using scales, heh.

You can't guarantee you'll "look ripped" especially when you're thinking month to month though. You WILL be stronger and you WILL look better. Just keep your expectations in check, everyone responds differently.

Some questions regarding OHP.

1. With regards to form, come down to your chin or neck?

2. standing vs seated??

I go to my neck but I do dumbbell OHP - and I have an easier time seated. But seated w/o back support, just seated.

I could also be making big mistakes :p

So what do you recommend?

I'm at 78.5 KG and my height is 183-186 CM

I've gone to the gym for awhile now but haven't taken it all serious. I look pretty skinny/normal with broad shoulders. I can see my "4" pack if I flex

For how long should I bulk? And is +500 kcal the recommended?

agrajag

Banned
Well that's it for me for pull type exercises for a bit. Just wrecked my elbow on rep 1 of Pendlay rows. I've had tennis elbow for years and it always just "hurt". I could work through pain, etc.

Today it said "fuck you" and lit me up. Dropped the bar straight to the floor. No fucking way. Shit hurts too much :(

I will take it easy on pull exercises this week and next and give it another go - if it continues to hurt, I might need to swap to underhand exercises. No real way to let this thing rest as I have a physical job. I'd need a good few weeks off with zero mobility to get any kind of healing done, fml.

If you've had it for years, I'm sure you've looked into various ways to deal with the tennis elbow... I had a brief run-in with it a few months ago in one arm and then a month later in another. These are the steps I took to nurse my joints back to health.

1. Stop doing any type of movement that aggravated the elbow pain for at least two weeks. For me it was pull-ups (esp. wide grip), any kind of rows and bench press (even though it's a pushing movement, the weight of the bar put pressure on the joint and it hurt a lot). Deadlift was fine. So I basically only squatted and did ab stuff every workout for two three weeks.

2. Ice the joint down after every workout and at various points of the day. I also "massaged" it a lot and that warmed my elbow up and made it feel better.

3. I invested in compression sleeves. I know they're mostly to keep the joint warm, but the pressure also kept everything "tight" and helped me to eventually re-incorporate all my rowing movements and bench press. I also wore the sleeve at random periods in the day, like in my car on the way to work.

4. Do a lot of light weight hammer curls, that helps the blood flow to the ligament, which carries nutrients to heal it up.

Most of this is probably broscience, but these things helped me. My elbows are golden now, and I don't wear elbow sleeves during my workouts. I still do a lot of those light weight dumbell hammer curls in between other exercises as prehab.

SeanR1221

So what do you recommend?

I'm at 78.5 KG and my height is 183-186 CM

I've gone to the gym for awhile now but haven't taken it all serious. I look pretty skinny/normal with broad shoulders. I can see my "4" pack if I flex

For how long should I bulk? And is +500 kcal the recommended?

Well, the first major questions is what is your workout program like? Sorry if you posted this already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom