• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what do you recommend?

I'm at 78.5 KG and my height is 183-186 CM

I've gone to the gym for awhile now but haven't taken it all serious. I look pretty skinny/normal with broad shoulders. I can see my "4" pack if I flex

For how long should I bulk? And is +500 kcal the recommended?

I think the two answers are either gonna be "judge based on your appearance" or "find a way to measure body fat percentage and stop bulking at a certain percent" though I don't know what percentage is generally recommended.

Ravidrath

Thoughts on good / tasty / clean sources of carbs and fat?

Trying to fill out this new diet, and keep coming up short on those two.

May just end up supplementing with more egg yolks and almond butter, but interested in seeing what people say.

Thoughts on good / tasty / clean sources of carbs and fat?

Trying to fill out this new diet, and keep coming up short on those two.

May just end up supplementing with more egg yolks and almond butter, but interested in seeing what people say.

Nuts?

Almonds, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds?

sphinx

the piano man
After those 3 months I'll then start deffing for the next 3 months.

Will I look ripped in 6 months if I do it right?

you mean you want to start lifting today and want to know what are going to be the results in 6 months if you follow this plan you mention?

man, 6 months is absolutely nothing, honest, is really nothing, consider it a preparation of the good things that will come in the later years,

Petrie

Banned
you mean you want to start lifting today and want to know what are going to be the results in 6 months if you follow this plan you mention?

man, 6 months is absolutely nothing, honest, is really nothing, consider it a preparation of the good things that will come in the later years,

Yup. With that attitude going in, I don't see him getting far.

You have to see this as a long-term commitment, 6 months is enoug time to maybe build a base to then really dive in.

And that's if you are truly dedicated. I fucked around too much and it took much longer to get to where I am now compared to where I should be.

yeah 6 months is nothing but just a small step. Keep motivated and keep going!

sphinx

the piano man
I started lifting weights in october last year, so I am actually going through the newbie phase, kind of. It's my 9th month now and I can confirm there are changes, nice ones, good ones, but "ripped"? haha, nowhere near that,

The muscle isn't there, it has nothing to do with eating more or less or with going more or less to the gym, you have to create the muscle and that takes a lot of time, many many years so in the mean time, you are building a base, like Petrie says and basically focusing on strength, form, nutrition and just improving on everything,

but here is a word of motivation to people who don't have much patience: people will notice you are working out after six months, but keep it realistic and try to focus on more relevant goals than looking ripped.

Had a little argument with my buddy at the gym earlier today.
He was saying that I don't breathe enough (was doing DB incline bench at the time), that I should breathe as much as possible throughout the entire movement, whereas I insisted on only breathing in once (when taking the dumbbells down) and breathing out once (when pushing the dumbbells up).

Tell me I'm right, or I'll feel shame.

grumble

He was saying that I don't breathe enough (was doing DB incline bench at the time), that I should breathe as much as possible throughout the entire movement, whereas I insisted on only breathing in once (when taking the dumbbells down) and breathing out once (when pushing the dumbbells up).

You're both wrong IMO, you shouldn't breathe at all when the dumbbells are going up or down. You'll lose stability. Breathe at the top of the movement.

bjb

Banned
Question for FitGaf; Anyone have any solid recommendations or resources for female strength training routines?

My girlfriend wants to start working out with me, but outside of squats or select core/leg work, not entirely sure whats benefical and important for girls without overwhelming her.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

If you're lifting heavy you take a deep breath and hold for the whole rep to increase intra-abdominal pressure, stabilizing your torso. If you're doing 100 reps with 5 lbs while handstanding on a bosu ball then you probably want to be breathing the whole time so you don't asphyxiate and crush a yoga pants girl.

Petrie

Banned
I started lifting weights in october last year, so I am actually going through the newbie phase, kind of. It's my 9th month now and I can confirm there are changes, nice ones, good ones, but "ripped"? haha, nowhere near that,

The muscle isn't there, it has nothing to do with eating more or less or with going more or less to the gym, you have to create the muscle and that takes a lot of time, many many years so in the mean time, you are building a base, like Petrie says and basically focusing on strength, form, nutrition and just improving on everything,

but here is a word of motivation to people who don't have much patience: people will notice you are working out after six months, but keep it realistic and try to focus on more relevant goals than looking ripped.

As Arnold says: you can't chisel a pebble.

Oh man, I know exactly what I am going to do in September.

Either the Magnusson-Ortmayer Deadlift Routine or Coan/Phillipi Deadlift Routine. Time to get that 500 lb deadlift this year! (hopefully)

blackflag

IT's a lot easier when you make it a routine for the most part. Good luck though.

This isn't true. Just don't use the default numbers. Plug in your own.

For instance right now mine defaults to 1600 a day for my cut, and then I add in for various cardio and strength training, again using my own numbers. Works great.

That's what I mean..don't let myfitnesspal tell you how much to eat.. You gotta figure it out and modify it yourself.

Question for FitGaf; Anyone have any solid recommendations or resources for female strength training routines?

My girlfriend wants to start working out with me, but outside of squats or select core/leg work, not entirely sure whats benefical and important for girls without overwhelming her.

The general rule is that chicks do the same lifts as guys; the weight increases are just smaller.

blackflag

How the heck do you calculate exactly how many calories you've eaten during the day?

Isn't this a bit hard? Like:

For breakfast 4 eggs with a slice of bread

2. chicken with 4 potatoes and spinach + sallad

3 A sallad mixed with chicken and fetta-cheese

4. 450G cottage cheese

It's incredibly easy and takes me at most 10 minutes per day once you get the hang of it.

Satch

Banned

girlgaf here! she can do starting strength - its in the OP

on a side note: if any of you do 5 standing calf raises in one of three squat racks and then sit in that squat rack while texting for 3 minutes of rest (yes i was angry enough to time him) then i hope you fuck up on your diet a million times and lose all of your gains and i want you to know youre a prick

Petrie

Banned
girlgaf here! she can do starting strength - its in the OP

on a side note: if any of you do 5 standing calf raises in one of three squat racks and then sit in that squat rack while texting for 3 minutes of rest (yes i was angry enough to time him) then i hope you fuck up on your diet a million times and lose all of your gains and i want you to know youre a prick

I'm at the point where if someone is wasting equipment like that, I don't give a fuck, I'm telling them they use it or I start my sets. Fuck that noise.

SeanR1221

Oh man, I know exactly what I am going to do in September.

Either the Magnusson-Ortmayer Deadlift Routine or Coan/Phillipi Deadlift Routine. Time to get that 500 lb deadlift this year! (hopefully)

My buddy and I had great results on the first coan cycle but kind of fell flat the second. It can get really hard, especially when you're doing the 2x8s or 2x5s. First time I added 50 pounds to my deadlift. Second time only 10 but I was eating less in anticipation for my wedding.

The general rule is that chicks do the same lifts as guys; the weight increases are just smaller.

Yuuup. My wife is doing 5/3/1.

SeanR1221

I'm at the point where if someone is wasting equipment like that, I don't give a fuck, I'm telling them they use it or I start my sets. Fuck that noise.

Yup. And if you're curling or doing barbell raises in the squat rack and you have more than one set left I literally tell them I'm working in, I don't even bother asking.

Petrie

Banned
Yup. And if you're curling or doing barbell raises in the squat rack and you have more than one set left I literally tell them I'm working in, I don't even bother asking.

Yup. I'm guilty of curling in the rack when the gym is dead, but the minute anyone comes even near I ask if they need it.

bjb

Banned

Cool thanks. Last question: was reading somewhere that certain chest exercises ( i.e. benching) is bad for women as it affects their chest (breasts) composition differently than males. Any truth to this?

sphinx

the piano man
speaking about pricks.....I dont't know what to do with that guy that takes 10 minute pauses between his many 3RM deadlift sets, he basically obstructs the squat rack for a complete hour, it happened twice in two weeks.... I am thinking about what I am going to say the next thing it happens...

speaking about pricks.....I dont't know what to do with that guy that takes 10 minute pauses between his many 3RM deadlift sets, he basically obstructs the squat rack for a complete hour, it happened twice in two weeks.... I am thinking about what I am going to say the next thing it happens...

just tell him that you are going to use the racks. he doesn't need it to deadlift.

SeanR1221

Cool thanks. Last question: was reading somewhere that certain chest exercises ( i.e. benching) is bad for women as it affects their chest (breasts) composition differently than males. Any truth to this?

Never really heard anything about this. My wife has been benching a year and a half now and her boobs haven't changed.

blackflag

Yup. I'm guilty of curling in the rack when the gym is dead, but the minute anyone comes even near I ask if they need it.

yeah my rule is if 2 squat racks are empty, I'll curl in 1. If someone starts squatting in the other, I'll move and free it up.

My buddy and I had great results on the first coan cycle but kind of fell flat the second. It can get really hard, especially when you're doing the 2x8s or 2x5s. First time I added 50 pounds to my deadlift. Second time only 10 but I was eating less in anticipation for my wedding.

Gotcha. Yeah, I plan to be eating with a surplus. I'm guessing my 1RM is @ 425 (at a deficit) so if I can get 50 lbs, that would be fantastic. 500 lbs would be the sweet spot.

SeanR1221

Gotcha. Yeah, I plan to be eating with a surplus. I'm guessing my 1RM is @ 425 (at a deficit) so if I can get 50 lbs, that would be fantastic. 500 lbs would be the sweet spot.

It helped him place second in a local competition. I think he ended up with a 525 squat, 365 bench and 545 dead.

He's back to 5/3/1 now but I think he's gonna do the cube method before the next meet

It helped him place second in a local competition. I think he ended up with a 525 squat, 365 bench and 545 dead.

He's back to 5/3/1 now but I think he's gonna do the cube method before the next meet

Did you focus on primarily the deads or you do all three? I would assume that I would just focus on deads while squats and bench take a back seat. My squat by proxy should go up.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Not sure about pricks but what's with people moving the holder outside of the power rack? I've seen it twice where people move the weight holder outside of the rack and start doing squats there without the safety bars.

sphinx

the piano man
just tell him that you are going to use the racks. he doesn't need it to deadlift.

well the thing is, it seems like he need it...look, this is the squat rack we have at the gym (from the pics I posted some pages back) , if you see the metal, gray structure, to the side, it has like a platform at mid level where you can place the barbell.

The guy puts the fully loaded barbell on the platform. From there, he grabs it, with 2 guys watching over if he messes up, he then proceeds to do 3 reps and puts the barbell back on the platform, where he can comfortably change plates,

Since he is DLing a lot of weight, I thought he really needed to do it that way because it would be a pain in the ass to change plates having the barbell on the floor...

is he doing it wrong? Noema also told me he doesn't need the rack for anything..

SeanR1221

Did you focus on primarily the deads or you do all three? I would assume that I would just focus on deads while squats and bench take a back seat. My squat by proxy should go up.

We focused on all three plus OHP. Each got its own day. We did 2x10s as accessory with a 10 rep warmup before each accessory. We also did OHP seated since it wasn't needed for the meet but I eventually switched to standing.

If you're interested I think it was like....

Bench
Close grip
Incline
Flys
Skull crushers
Rope pull downs

Deads
T bar row
Cable row
Shrugs (5 sets)

OHP
Light bench
Lateral raise
Front raise
Incline curls
Barbell curls

Squat
Good morning
Leg press (5 sets)
Leg curl
Decline sit-up

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
boYFfQ9.jpg

Okay. So the personal trainer at my gym is tying a resistance band to his client's arm and pulling laterally while he does pushups to make sure he keeps his elbows out? Or something? But all this is doing is making his entire body lean in that direction since he's doing it to one arm at a time and not both at once.

???????????????????????????

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Okay. So the personal trainer at my gym is tying a resistance band to his client's arm and pulling laterally while he does pushups to make sure he keeps his elbows out? Or something? But all this is doing is making his entire body lean in that direction since he's doing it to one arm at a time and not both at once.

MDlFE1s.gif

Hey, guys! Looking for some help.

I am trying to build a workout plan around my injury*, and I have a decent idea of where to start, but I want to construct something a little bit more consistent than "do what doesn't hurt." As we all know, different body parts hurt on different days, and most of us who have had injuries know that sometimes you can't do the same thing you did the week before without feeling pain.

*torn ligament in the wrist and compressed ulnar nerve. Underwent ulnar decompression surgery and arthroscopic wrist surgery in Feb.

I am trying to sort out a 3-4 day split.

I cannot do the following lifts:
Bench press
Pull-ups
Wrist curls
Curls (can do hammer)
Tricep pulldowns
Dips
Military press/shoulder press

Can still do all my leg lifts, but because I have some ankle problems, my cardio mostly consists of biking and I stay away from the squat rack where it's harder to keep my feet/legs symmetrical (I do leg press instead). I do box jump circuits as well.

Right now I'm at 6'2", 160 (down from 190 when I got hurt), and I'd like to get up to 175 within the next three months. I've retained good but not great definition since the injury, but I'd like to improve upon that primarily. Mostly going for aesthetics and general athleticism.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Reposting because this is important to me. Damn, lol last post per page? Expect this to be reposted again in a few pages if I can't get any insight by then.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have any decent book recommendations relating to food intake versus strength training? There's a lot of information out there, but I'd like to take the time to gain a pretty thorough understanding for myself.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Great progress Matugi! Definitely was worth doing brah!

entremet

I've been reading Louie Simmons, of Westside Barbell fame, stuff of late and listening to his lectures. Fascinating stuff. Although his stuff is more for geared lifters, some great insight.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
You should be pleased Matugi! You have a good foundation and good symmetry. Wait until your delts and traps get some more size! Keep at it and in 2 to 3 years you will be very pleased! Nice work.

blackflag

boYFfQ9.jpg

I can usually figure out what they are trying to accomplish but in this case....NOPE. No idea.

Hey, guys! Looking for some help.

I am trying to build a workout plan around my injury*, and I have a decent idea of where to start, but I want to construct something a little bit more consistent than "do what doesn't hurt." As we all know, different body parts hurt on different days, and most of us who have had injuries know that sometimes you can't do the same thing you did the week before without feeling pain.

*torn ligament in the wrist and compressed ulnar nerve. Underwent ulnar decompression surgery and arthroscopic wrist surgery in Feb.

I am trying to sort out a 3-4 day split.

I cannot do the following lifts:
Bench press
Pull-ups
Wrist curls
Curls (can do hammer)
Tricep pulldowns
Dips
Military press/shoulder press

Can still do all my leg lifts, but because I have some ankle problems, my cardio mostly consists of biking and I stay away from the squat rack where it's harder to keep my feet/legs symmetrical (I do leg press instead). I do box jump circuits as well.

Right now I'm at 6'2", 160 (down from 190 when I got hurt), and I'd like to get up to 175 within the next three months. I've retained good but not great definition since the injury, but I'd like to improve upon that primarily. Mostly going for aesthetics and general athleticism.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Can't really help you but reposting so that others can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom