• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelo Ice

Banned
That feeling when you achieve a goal you've been working on for over a year. It feels good. Nah, it feels great! I did it guys. I got a 45lb muscle up! Beyond ecstatic right now! :D

Damn!, I'd be happy if I could even do 1 muscle up. Congrats though, that is pretty fucking insane.

ILoveBish

That feeling when you achieve a goal you've been working on for over a year. It feels good. Nah, it feels great! I did it guys. I got a 45lb muscle up! Beyond ecstatic right now! :D

Keep it up cooter. The day i do one muscle up, i will dedicate it in your honor.

Petrie

Banned
In what way? Did they all get gym memberships or something?

A good lengthy chunk of the new Bombcast is all about one of them, I believe Vinny, taking up running, Jeff talking about making healthier choices and taking long walks every night, going to see the doctor and such.

You can tell they wish their friend had taken better care of himself. Sucks.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm honored Count! Thanks Nelo. Your time is coming Cudder!

It was cool because some random dude came up to me after and said, Ï don't ever do this but I have to give you a fist bump for that 45lb muscle up. That was impressive." And my wife had a huge smile on her face. I could tell she was proud. Great day all around. I'd like to think it was even more special because I was super-setting 300lb+ squats with it! ;)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
First I've ever even heard of a muscle up. Holy shit, that looks extremely fun.

I wonder if I can even do one without weight. I think I'll give it a try on Thursday.

decided to combine two different areas during today's workout and did chest and back.

Here's the workout:
dumbbell press | 3 x 10
dumbbell row | 3 x 10
dumbbell fly | 3 x 10
lat pull down | 3 x 10
seated cable row | 3 x 10
decline bench press | 3 x 10
incline bench press | 2 x 8
rear delt fly | 3 x 10

also did some reverse crunches with a plate and just ate a bunch like you have suggested. I'm wondering if this is a good workout for my goal of gaining weight/getting bigger. Should I be upping the weight and doing something closer to 5 x 5?

also, is it better to have one or two good core workouts a week versus working core for a smaller amount everyday?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Okay, I guess since I'm more serious about this now, here it is:

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 340
Goal: I don't really have a goal weight, but I want to lose the fat and gain some muscle, I'm built with a wider frame so I think I can do it without too many problems.
Current Training Schedule: Jog about 2 miles a day.
Current Training Equipment Available: I just got a gym membership so I guess anything.
Comments: Like I said before, I really don't have a goal weight because I don't really know where I want to be other than I want to lose a lot of fat and replace it with muscle. I'm getting serious about the whole thing, I've been eating hard boiled eggs and raw red bell peppers and walnuts other fruits and veggies. Any pointers?

The OP is a great primer on where to start. Read through the whole thing first, then come back with any questions you have.

SeanR1221

decided to combine two different areas during today's workout and did chest and back.

Here's the workout:
dumbbell press | 3 x 10
dumbbell row | 3 x 10
dumbbell fly | 3 x 10
lat pull down | 3 x 10
seated cable row | 3 x 10
decline bench press | 3 x 10
incline bench press | 2 x 8
rear delt fly | 3 x 10

also did some reverse crunches with a plate and just ate a bunch like you have suggested. I'm wondering if this is a good workout for my goal of gaining weight/getting bigger. Should I be upping the weight and doing something closer to 5 x 5?

also, is it better to have one or two good core workouts a week versus working core for a smaller amount everyday?

Way too much stuff for a complete beginner. Keep it simple, man. If you want to gain weight and get bigger, stick to the big compounds for now (squats, deads, OHP, bench, row)

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Tired as fuck from the heat and work wasn't even going to lift today, ended up doing CGBP and BB rows. Felt weak on pressing so ended up going with a bit of volume, tried 120kg/265 x 20 and failed at 15-16, also failed 253and 242. BB rows weren't as bad, I did my final working set at 265 and did a few ~x20 volume sets 90/95/90/100kg which were less sloppy than last week. Got some lat cramps during CGBP and rows which fucking sucked... I'll try to get some decent cgbp on vid if I get my strength back...

210lbs x 20 BB rows

220lbs x 19 BB rows

ILoveBish

Especially early on, you REALLY want to keep things simple. Its why SS is such a great routine, you work your way up from bar all the way up. It will seem easy at first, and then you'll be so glad that you only do 3 major compounds a day due to how heavy it gets. I've reset several times now in almost all of my lifts, and I've blasted through my previous bests every time. There are times i like to take a while off, then deload 10-15lbs depending on lift, then come back strong and lift heavier then I've ever done.

Once you get a good base going, you can start adding on accessories after your compounds to target specific parts, but your main thing should be the main thing, the compound exercises. Also as time goes on, your warm ups will help you get plenty of weight lifted as well. I always start bar only, then 33% of my total for that day, then 66%, then the actual weight im going to go for, for the most part.

entremet

Tired as fuck from the heat and work wasn't even going to lift today, ended up doing CGBP and BB rows. Felt weak on pressing, tried 120kg/265 x 20 and failed at 15-16, also failed 253and 242. BB rows weren't as bad, I did my final working set at 265 and did a few ~x20 volume sets 90/95/90/100kg which were less sloppy than last week. Got some lat cramps during CGBP and rows which fucking sucked... I'll try to get some decent cgbp on vid if I get my strength back...

210lbs x 20 BB rows

220lbs x 19 BB rows

Jesus Christ, man. Good work.

oVerde

Banned
Tired as fuck from the heat and work wasn't even going to lift today, ended up doing CGBP and BB rows. Felt weak on pressing so ended up going with a bit of volume, tried 120kg/265 x 20 and failed at 15-16, also failed 253and 242. BB rows weren't as bad, I did my final working set at 265 and did a few ~x20 volume sets 90/95/90/100kg which were less sloppy than last week. Got some lat cramps during CGBP and rows which fucking sucked... I'll try to get some decent cgbp on vid if I get my strength back...

210lbs x 20 BB rows

220lbs x 19 BB rows

Love the DDR soundtrack :D

Good work, when I grow up I wanna be just like you!

abuC

210lbs x 20 BB rows

220lbs x 19 BB rows

Beast mode, however you need to get a smoke machine and enter the room when the music starts, like a WWE entrance.

PS. Ras Kass *thumbs up*

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Does anyone here have any experience with cancelling a Gold's Gym membership? I hear it's a nightmare...

It's a nightmare to cancel any fitness-related membership in the United States. Everyone has a year long contract, and you can't go through the people you signed up with to cancel because they all use a third party billing company that specializes in not answering the phone and lying to you about the charges being discontinued.

I'm always extremely hesitant to sign up for any recurring membership program.

Zoe

Does anyone here have any experience with cancelling a Gold's Gym membership? I hear it's a nightmare...
It was super easy for me. I did it with the intention of signing up again in the future though (ended up a couple of months later).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Still seeing gains with keto, still happy, still cutting more weight with it.

Great workout tonight means the balance has shifted, expecting a poor one Thursday but I'll give it my all!

Damn, what a difference a mixed grip makes on deadlifts. Last week I managed to do 2 x 130 kg (287 lb) before my grip (overhand) failed but yesterday I was using a mixed grip and managed to 2 x 160 kg (353 lb) and 1 x 170 kg (375) without any problems. My new goal is 200 kg (440) by the end of this year now that my grip problem is solved.

mr stroke

My Favorite LoCarb Bacon food

Bacon Tacos-

jOn6JTr.jpg

sooooooo good

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Set foot in a gym for the first time. Barbells are heavy. Like, just the bar. My face was burning from being so self-conscious. This is going to be so embarrassing and difficult.

ILoveBish

Set foot in a gym for the first time. Barbells are heavy. Like, just the bar. My face was burning from being so self-conscious. This is going to be so embarrassing and difficult.

Ive mentioned this before, but the first day i stepped into the gym 15 months ago, i was 337lbs, severly obese, felt very uncomfy, and i had to fight off the women working out there for the 5lb dumbbells. You get over it quick, no one really cares, they are there to work out and get out, and just you being there, shows to them, you want things to be better. Don't think about it, just go do it, and things fall into place. If the barbell is heavy, then just take it easy with it, and you'll get situated quickly. Your noob gains will be quick and the barbell will feel like a feather soon enough.

Ravidrath

I felt the same thing when I started up a year ago, and after a month or two it was completely gone and I felt confident in the gym.

No one is looking at you, no one is judging you.

Unfortunately you're just going to have to take our word on this for now. But once you get the hang of it, you'll realize you're too focused on your workout to look at or think about anything else. And then you'll realize that's how everyone else around you has been all along, and that you were just psyching yourself out.

deadbeef

I felt the same thing when I started up a year ago, and after a month or two it was completely gone and I felt confident in the gym.

No one is looking at you, no one is judging you.

Unfortunately you're just going to have to take our word on this for now. But once you get the hang of it, you'll realize you're too focused on your workout to look at or think about anything else. And then you'll realize that's how everyone else around you has been all along, and that you were just psyching yourself out.

Nice way of putting it.

sphinx

the piano man

but isn't the spotter the one who fails? The guy failed his rep, exactly that happened to me some days ago but I didn't have a spotter, so plates had to fall.

why are you guys saying the guy on the bench should be embarassed?

Congrats on joining a gym Cosmic :)

we both are 5'4-5'5, in our mid 30's
and gay, lol
so here are some ideas that could help you feel better with all those guys around you:

there's no point in comparing ourselves to those guys because:

• mostly everyone there is in their mid 20's or younger,
  • many (most?) are still dependant on their parents' money. less life stress for them.
  • most have been training for years,
  • most are around 6'0 and taller
  • most have the benefit of good genetics (broad upper body, big bones, etc)
  • other guys new to the gym aren't doing any better, you are not the only one coming to terms with the exercises and the equipment, everybody goes through this.
whenever you feel like you don't fit in there just think

" o.k let's count how many guys my age, my height and my physical consitution decided to grow a pair and came to the gym today... Yeah, thought so, it's only me"

and you'll feel proud of yourself :)

I have no idea if the stuff in my bulletpoints is true but it doesn't matter anyway, it works.

oh and exercises with empty barbells are used all the time, unless you have many years and are damn strong, they are constantly used for warm-ups.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Seeing noobs in our gym, I always love the ones who take just the bar and try to get their form right and learn the move. They will gradually go up in weights anyhow soon. And because things like squat can take months or years to learn right, it's just common sense to start from form not weight.

in fact I massively prefer noobs with just a bar and attempt at good form to 'bigger' guys doing quarter squats with big weights.

also anyone very overweight should not feel self conscious at gym in my opinion. Gym is the place where I would most like to see fat people (having been fat myself too), it means they are doing something about it.

SeanR1221

but isn't the spotter the one who fails? The guy failed his rep, exactly that happened to me some days ago but I didn't have a spotter, so plates had to fall.

why are you guys saying the guy on the bench should be embarassed?

Congrats on joining a gym Cosmic :)

we both are 5'4-5'5, in our mid 30's
and gay, lol
so here are some ideas that could help you feel better with all those guys around you:

there's no point in comparing ourselves to those guys because:

• mostly everyone there is in their mid 20's or younger,
  • many (most?) are still dependant on their parents' money. less life stress for them.
  • most have been training for years,
  • most are around 6'0 and taller
  • most have the benefit of good genetics (broad upper body, big bones, etc)
  • other guys new to the gym aren't doing any better, you are not the only one coming to terms with the exercises and the equipment, everybody goes through this.
whenever you feel like you don't fit in there just think

" o.k let's count how many guys my age, my height and my physical consitution decided to grow a pair and came to the gym today... Yeah, thought so, it's only me"

and you'll feel proud of yourself :)

I have no idea if the stuff in my bulletpoints is true but it doesn't matter anyway, it works.

oh and exercises with empty barbells are used all the time, unless you have many years and are damn strong, they are constantly used for warm-ups.

The spotter fails too, but the guy had no warmups (unless he completely unloaded the bar before shooting which would be odd) so it looks like he jumped right into 315 which is dumb.

SeanR1221

One step forward, 2 back. I think tbar rows aggravated something so they're out now too :/. Fuck.

My gym has one of these I guess I'll do instead

504l.jpg

Szu

Awesome!!!! I'm still working on just doing one muscle up. I know I should be able to hit it but there's still a missing piece in my movement.

andycapps

was the cause of death ever disclosed? I am sorry for everyone's loss by the way.

His father posted something on his Twitter to the effect that sleep apnea is a serious condition, and that people should get sleep studies done at their doctors. So yeah.. :(

There's no silver lining to the situation, but it does seem like we have a lot of new people in this thread. So that in and of itself is good.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
When I see overweight people at the gym, I do a soul-fistbump to them. I'm glad they're there and doing something about it. Especially as an ex-fatty, my soul says "Hell yeah brah" and hopes to see them do well in the future.

I don't think anyone aside from certified dickholes (regardless of their weight) look down at anyone trying to better themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom