• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

agrajag

Banned
Take a small amount of time off from bench. Eat well. Get rested. Then attack!

I don't take creatine but I should.

Check your protein powder, a lot of them have creatine mixed in already, so do pre-workouts if you take any of those..

I'm lifting today last time this week and then I'm going for a trip to LA on Friday for 3 days, so that's five days off from lifting, and then I want to deload next week. I should be all healed up by then :)

I really need to work on my compound exercises. I find it odd that these are my stats:

3 sets 5x185lbs Bench press
3 sets 3x195lbs Deadlift
3 sets 5x155lbs Squats

My bench is essentially the heaviest... Damned lower back. At least I've improved from a few months ago. Started deadlifts at 95lbs!

agrajag

Banned
That's how it is, I've had times where I feel like a monster then come back a week later and can barely move that same weight I pushed the week before.

What's weird that happens to me sometimes is that one lift will drop and another one will go up, on the same day! I'm about to do some squats, let's see if that's the case today..

Noema

I really need to work on my compound exercises. I find it odd that these are my stats:

3 sets 5x185lbs Bench press
3 sets 3x195lbs Deadlift
3 sets 5x155lbs Squats

My bench is essentially the heaviest... Damned lower back. At least I've improved from a few months ago. Started deadlifts at 95lbs!

Most people who havent trained for strength before are usually strongest in bench. Its pretty common.

Are you doing SS? Your lower body lifts will catch up in no time. :)

agrajag

Banned
Most people who havent trained for strength before are usually strongest in bench. Its pretty common.

Are you doing SS? Your lower body lifts will catch up in no time. :)

my deadlift is so far ahead of my other lifts, it's ridiculous. Twice my bench, more than 3x my OHP

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
so guys, I need suggestions. I want to focus on size. Any routines that are based on that? Be willing to go to the gym 4-5 times a week.
I'd keep doing what you're doing and eat lots of red meat if I were you. Maybe add an extra exercise or two per muscle. Kinda boring advice. I'll admit that I don't really focus on size however. I guess I hear all the bodybuilder types talking about hi rep and lower weight type programs. Might want to look into that?

Those 4 dudes would probably help you if you asked, people in the gym are a lot more helpful than you'd think. Everyone knows starting out is tough, only a straight up asshole would make fun of a new person.

This is so true. Some of the people I've met at the gym are the nicest people, and I have a ton of respect for a lot of them.

Noema

my deadlift is so far ahead of my other lifts, it's ridiculous. Twice my bench, more than 3x my OHP

Heh, tell me about it. I can Deadlift 500lb+ but I can barely bench 225lb and my squat doesnt even deserve to be called mediocre. Mediocre is too good a word to describe my squats.

Do you have long arms+short torso? That usually means good deadlifter but shit at everything else.

agrajag

Banned
Heh, tell me about it. I can Deadlift 500lb+ but I can barely bench 225lb and my squat doesnt even deserve to be called mediocre.

Do you have long arms+short torso? That usually means good deadlifter but shit at everything else.

I have no idea, I'm a short guy, but I have no idea what my proportions are.. the tips of my fingers only reach about mid thigh, so I don't think I have long arms

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not gonna lie, it's kind of frustrating to appear as though the ol' love handles have gotten bigger because of, I'd assume, all of the fat elsewhere melting away. I know it'll eventually get there and start to vanish from my waist, it's just taking its sweet ass time.

Oh, man, I can totally relate with this. I got down to 145 lbs. from a max of around 225 lbs. over a year ago, but that still wasn't enough to get rid of the lower abdominal fat. It was mostly completely gone from my belly, but it stuck around in the lower back, hip, and butt area. At least for me, this appears to be the most stubborn area.

A couple of weeks ago I started strength training and am hoping that, by putting on muscle, I'll be able to finally get down to a low enough fat % where I don't have love handles when sitting down or wearing tight pants and can have some visible abs.

Cudder

I think in the next couple weeks I'm going to try to do 100lb dumbbells for flat bench. I might get my dad or someone to film me lol. I remember when just starting out I would see people doing 100's and over and just kept thinking, "man, that shit is so out of the realm of possibility for me." Raising 3 digit dumbbells is absolutely gonna be a big milestone for me. :)

Noema

I have no idea, I'm a short guy, but I have no idea what my proportions are.. the tips of my fingers only reach about mid thigh, so I don't think I have long arms

Rule of thumb is if your armspan is longer than your height= long arms.

For instance, I'm 6'2" but my armspan is something like 6'5".

I look like the floaty aliens in Close Encounters of the 3rd kind.

abuC

so guys, I need suggestions. I want to focus on size. Any routines that are based on that? Be willing to go to the gym 4-5 times a week.

Try a bodybuilder routine, start using dumbbells for your chest and don't be afraid to hit the same body part multiple times a week. I try to hit 12 reps now since I noticed that Jay Cutler and Kai Greene shoot for those ranges, I also give myself 1 power set at the end where I do as many reps as I can with heavy weights.

This is so true. Some of the people I've met at the gym are the nicest people, and I have a ton of respect for a lot of them.

Yup, I've made some friends at my new gym and almost always talk to a new person when I'm there whether they're asking me for a spot or advice.

sphinx

the piano man
So, I'd like to report on the topic of CALVES.

I have been trying to hit them harder than ever, as they seem to not want to respond to normal stimulus so I am on a neverending quest to show them who's the boss.

I use two isolation exercises for calves:

A) Standing Calf Raises

B) Calf raises holding on to a wall or bar, doing a "T" with the free leg and then going "on point" with the foot on the floor, (gif here)

calves_zpsc21731ca.gif

now, if I understood this correctly (some please correct if wrong, I'll greatly appreciate it) the calf muscle is divided in two parts, the Gastrocnemius and the Soleus. With normal calf exercises, you are mostly working the Gastrocnemius, which is the larger calf muscle, forming the bulge visible beneath the skin and it has two parts or "heads," which together create its diamond shape. I think the Soleus is barely or indirectly affected, but not sure about that

so in order to hit both sides of the diamond in the gastrocnemius with both exercises, I perform them in 3 different stances:

A) front
front_zpsf2e7c4e0.jpg

B) Inside
inside_zps358a29b7.jpg

C ) Outside
outside_zpsc93c3467.jpg

routine goes as follow,

(Range of motion is very important, standing at the highest you can for a second or two before going back down is crucial. The weight changes every session of course, is just to illustrate):

FRONT (used as warmup mostly)
Calf Machine 20 reps 55 kgs.
Bodyweight calf raises 15 reps
Calf Machine 20 reps x 75 kgs

INSIDE STANCE

OUTSIDE STANCE

I came up with this, I noticed the fitness world does not give a shit about calves so I felt completely free to experiment and improvise. The outside/inside stances aren't my idea though, the trainer of a friend told us to do it like that so I assume it was useful.

and holding the free leg in T position for the whole set of 15 reps.... by the 8th rep you'll look to the sky with tears in your eyes thinking " God, why have you abandoned me??".. hahaha, it's VERY hard.

This is where I am at with calves, took the pic today and I have seen some progress. I know this aren't impressive calves by any standards but to actually see some definition of the gastrocnemius, that's something I would have never thought I'd see, like many guys, I have terrible genetics for calves.

pantorillas_zpsfb1c177d.jpg

So I am going to improve on this and see where it brings me

agrajag

Banned
Rule of thumb is if your armspan is longer than your height= long arms.

For instance, I'm 6'2" but my armspan is something like 6'5".

I look like the floaty aliens in Close Encounters of the 3rd kind.

I should measure my wing span. But by the looks of it, I have a longer torso than arms.. I think I just got the hang of dl mechanics better than other movements

So, I'd like to report on the topic of CALVES.

I have been trying to hit them harder than ever, as they seem to not want to respond to normal stimulus so I am on a neverending quest to show them who's the boss.

I use two isolation exercises for calves:

A) Standing Calf Raises

B) Calf raises holding on to a wall or bar, doing a "T" with the free leg and then going "on point" with the foot on the floor, (gif here)

calves_zpsc21731ca.gif

now, if I understood this correctly (some please correct if wrong, I'll greatly appreciate it) the calf muscle is divided in two parts, the Gastrocnemius and the Soleus. With normal calf exercises, you are mostly working the Gastrocnemius, which is the larger calf muscle, forming the bulge visible beneath the skin and it has two parts or "heads," which together create its diamond shape. I think the Soleus is barely or indirectly affected, but not sure about that

so in order to hit both sides of the diamond in the gastrocnemius with both exercises, I perform them in 3 different stances:

A) front
front_zpsf2e7c4e0.jpg

B) Inside
inside_zps358a29b7.jpg

C ) Outside
outside_zpsc93c3467.jpg

routine goes as follow,

(Range of motion is very important, standing at the highest you can for a second or two before going back down is crucial. The weight changes every session of course, is just to illustrate):

FRONT (used as warmup mostly)

INSIDE STANCE

OUTSIDE STANCE

I came up with this, I noticed the fitness world does not give a shit about calves so I felt completely free to experiment and improvise. The outside/inside stances aren't my idea though, the trainer of a friend told us to do it like that so I assume it was useful.

and holding the free leg in T position for the whole set of 15 reps.... by the 8th rep you'll look to the sky with tears in your eyes thinking " God, why have you abandoned me??".. hahaha, it's VERY hard.

This is where I am at with calves, took the pic today and I have seen some progress. I know this aren't impressive calves by any standards but to actually see some definition of the gastrocnemius, that's something I would have never thought I'd see, like many guys, I have terrible genetics for calves.

pantorillas_zpsfb1c177d.jpg

So I am going to improve on this and see where it brings me

Man, really interesting stuff.
I would make use of this if I didn't have naturally strong calves (Yay, former overweighty!).

agrajag

Banned
I'm not sure if this article has been posted in this thread yet but I quite like this routine I found on T-nation:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_answer_for_massive_calves

Essentially you do 100 calf raises every day but you make sure to flex hard for about 2 seconds at the top of the raise.

I've done that and it didn't do shit for me... heavy low rep calf presses on the leg press machine made my calves grow more.. that and sometimes I do this thing on the seated leg curl where I point my toes down so you're using the calves to do the curl

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Currently the only pill I take is a multivitamin.

Could someone who takes a 'standard' amount of fish oils, etc pills detail what good it does them so I know whether or not I should spring for them?

sphinx

the piano man
Man, really interesting stuff.
I would make use of this if I didn't have naturally strong calves (Yay, former overweighty!).

I have hyuouge calves since a) I was a fat teenager and b) I walk a lot.

I am sooooo glad you guys don't have to reinvent the fucking wheel to work those calves, lol. (ex)Skinny small guys like me gotta hit them hard.

I'm not sure if this article has been posted in this thread yet but I quite like this routine I found on T-nation:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_answer_for_massive_calves

Essentially you do 100 calf raises every day but you make sure to flex hard for about 2 seconds at the top of the raise.

yes, it has been posted several times, one more reason to include the bodyweight raises, trying to follow the ballet thing mentioned there: stay "on point".

Ghost23

Ok, so I need some alternatives for my meals. I am in shape and have been doing P90X, but my abdominal fat is getting in the way of my goal of a six pack. I am a runner, so my body fat is pretty low, but I still can't shake that stomach fat off. Here is an example of my meals:

Breakfast: Cereal (frosted mini wheats usually) and either two packs of instant oatmeal or an english muffin with PB&J

Snack: Balance bar or nature valley granola bar

Lunch: Since it's summer, I usually replace lunch with a balance bar and protein shake after my P90X workout

More Snacks: Greek Yogurt, Wheat Thins, Nuts, Banana, Graham Crackers, etc

Dinner: Greatly differs. Homemade meals include tacos, grilled chicken, steak, pork chops, meat loaf, spaghetti, etc with bread, vegetables, and other side items. When I don't eat at home, I usually go to this local chinese place, subway, or Jimmy John's.

Can you guys replace the things I shouldn't eat with better alternatives to lose my abdominal fat? It may be helpful to note that I will be attending college in the fall, so college recommendations would be nice as well.

I need some advice here, GAF.

Do any of you NOT use supplements pre/post workout? I think supplements are messing up my stomach.

I used to take this creatine regularly before my workouts and have plenty of water before, during and after lifting. But I would almost always lose my appetite for most of the day afterward, which is bad considering I'm trying to eat a lot and gain weight. I quit using it after being nauseous and unable to eat for an entire day after taking it.

I have also been taking Beyond Raw Anaoblic Mass Builder (vanilla cake batter, if it matters) after lifting in the last few days. Today, my stool has had a light green color to it. I've read about it and heard it can be a sign of too much protein or solid food. I haven't felt sick or anything along with the green stool, but it still makes me nervous.

Has anyone else had these problems when taking supplements? I'm pretty small. 5'9", 135lbs if it matters. I'm considering stopping with the protein entirely for a while and seeing if my stomach goes back to normal.

Cudder

Ok, so I need some alternatives for my meals. I am in shape and have been doing P90X, but my abdominal fat is getting in the way of my goal of a six pack. I am a runner, so my body fat is pretty low, but I still can't shake that stomach fat off. Here is an example of my meals:

Breakfast: Cereal (frosted mini wheats usually) and either two packs of instant oatmeal or an english muffin with PB&J

Snack: Balance bar or nature valley granola bar

Lunch: Since it's summer, I usually replace lunch with a balance bar and protein shake after my P90X workout

More Snacks: Greek Yogurt, Wheat Thins, Nuts, Banana, Graham Crackers, etc

Dinner: Greatly differs. Homemade meals include tacos, grilled chicken, steak, pork chops, meat loaf, spaghetti, etc with bread, vegetables, and other side items. When I don't eat at home, I usually go to this local chinese place, subway, or Jimmy John's.

Can you guys replace the things I shouldn't eat with better alternatives to lose my abdominal fat? It may be helpful to note that I will be attending college in the fall, so college recommendations would be nice as well.

How many calories are you consuming a day? There's a lot of stuff in your day it looks like, I hope you're not just eating for the sake of eating and expecting the P90x to get you your abs.

Get rid of the kids cereal and a pack of oatmeal in the morning. Seriously, why would you need to have cereal AND TWO packs of oatmeal?

agrajag

Banned
My gym has one squat rack and one power rack. They were both taken today. I'm not usually one to snap photos of people at the gym, but the ridiculousness of what I saw was just too priceless to pass up.

Ice0pBZ.jpg

So one guy is doing reverse wrist curls in the squat rack, while the other one is using the power rack to do some bosu ball push ups with his feet propped up on a step stool. Oh lawd.

edit: you can also see an elastic band hanging off the power rack. He was using it to superset his pushups with kipping pullups with a band on one foot.

Cudder

I need some advice here, GAF.

Do any of you NOT use supplements pre/post workout? I think supplements are messing up my stomach.

I used to take this creatine regularly before my workouts and have plenty of water before, during and after lifting. But I would almost always lose my appetite for most of the day afterward, which is bad considering I'm trying to eat a lot and gain weight. I quit using it after being nauseous and unable to eat for an entire day after taking it.

I have also been taking Beyond Raw Anaoblic Mass Builder (vanilla cake batter, if it matters) after lifting in the last few days. Today, my stool has had a light green color to it. I've read about it and heard it can be a sign of too much protein or solid food. I haven't felt sick or anything along with the green stool, but it still makes me nervous.

Has anyone else had these problems when taking supplements? I'm pretty small. 5'9", 135lbs if it matters. I'm considering stopping with the protein entirely for a while and seeing if my stomach goes back to normal.

That's not creatine..

I'll look into this.

Try a bodybuilder routine, start using dumbbells for your chest and don't be afraid to hit the same body part multiple times a week. I try to hit 12 reps now since I noticed that Jay Cutler and Kai Greene shoot for those ranges, I also give myself 1 power set at the end where I do as many reps as I can with heavy weights.

Yup, I've made some friends at my new gym and almost always talk to a new person when I'm there whether they're asking me for a spot or advice.

do you have one in particular? Really, don't want to try to mess around with anything on my own yet.

Petrie

Banned
So today while changing in the lockerroom at my gym I noticed a used syringe that was capped and just casually left in the back of my locker.

I was like, "Oh, ok then." And put it on a bench in clear view of everything then went to work on my arms.

Just assume it belonged to me and fell from my bag, feel better?

Ghost23

How many calories are you consuming a day? There's a lot of stuff in your day it looks like, I hope you're not just eating for the sake of eating and expecting the P90x to get you your abs.

Get rid of the kids cereal and a pack of oatmeal in the morning. Seriously, why would you need to have cereal AND TWO packs of oatmeal?

I burn a lot of calories. I used to run 70 miles a week, which took so much out of me that I pretty much needed to eat every couple of hours. Isn't it recommended to eat something every 3 hours or so?

I know my breakfast is definitely my weakest point. Is Kashi cereal ok? I've heard eating something like Kashi with protein powder in your milk is a good breakfast that can fill you up.

Cudder

I burn a lot of calories. I used to run 70 miles a week, which took so much out of me that I pretty much needed to eat every couple of hours. Isn't it recommended to eat something every 3 hours or so?

Far as I know, it's a fable.

If you run that much I can see being hungry often. Snacking throughout the day on a cut is fine imo, I used to do it when I was cutting a few months ago. It kept my general hunger levels down throughout the day, because the snacks I would have would keep me satiated which then amounted to having smaller actual meals (lunch/dinner) when it was time.

Petrie

Banned

I know my breakfast is definitely my weakest point. Is Kashi cereal ok? I've heard eating something like Kashi with protein powder in your milk is a good breakfast that can fill you up.

Kashi uses soy protein, you don't want that.

Your entire diet is pretty bad. Full of sugar and carbs with very little protein, and that's going to prevent a 6-pack. The first thing I'd do is measure your food and track it all for a few weeks to see how much you're really eating, and replace that morning meal with some eggs and bacon or something, lose all the crappy balance bars, and all around eat more real, filling, satiating food. It looks like even running that much you're eating far too much, which I'd attribute to a bunch of sugar and unfilling empty foods.

No more Jimmy Johns, Subway, and Chinese. Less bread. Your diet needs a ton of work if you want a 6-pack.

Noema

My gym has one squat rack and one power rack. They were both taken today. I'm not usually one to snap photos of people at the gym, but the ridiculousness of what I saw was just too priceless to pass up.

Ice0pBZ.jpg

So one guy is doing reverse wrist curls in the squat rack, while the other one is using the power rack to do some bosu ball push ups with his feet propped up on a step stool. Oh lawd.

This. This right here.

This is what we're up against.

Ghost23

Kashi uses soy protein, you don't want that.

Your entire diet is pretty bad. Full of sugar and carbs with very little protein, and that's going to prevent a 6-pack. The first thing I'd do is measure your food and track it all for a few weeks to see how much you're really eating, and replace that morning meal with some eggs and bacon or something, lose all the crappy balance bars, and all around eat more real, filling, satiating food. It looks like even running that much you're eating far too much, which I'd attribute to a bunch of sugar and unfilling empty foods.

Is there a bar that I can replace for the balance bars? I thought I was getting a lot of protein with the shakes, bars, greek yogurt, and chicken. Is that really not enough?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a bar that I can replace for the balance bars? I thought I was getting a lot of protein with the shakes, bars, greek yogurt, and chicken. Is that really not enough?

You could probably use more, but the biggest issue with your diet has to be its focus on sugar and carbs.

It might be enough grams of protein, but there are still more carbs than you can get away with eating if you want to drop stubborn fat.

Cottage cheese is a pretty tasty food for snacks or as a breakfast item. Good carb to protein ratio.

Petrie

Banned

If you're trying to cut, you'd be better off skipping the shakes and bars, as they won't keep you full, which is part of why you're hungry so much.  If you want a bar, get Quest bars as the fiber helps keep you fuller longer.

Look at all the simply carbs and food I'd call "garbage" you have as part of your diet. Cereal is just sugar, so are wheat thins, graham crackers, balance bars to a degree, and all the eating out. You can't eat that way regularly and expect to have a 6-pack unless your career is that of an olympic athlete or something.

*edit*

my suggestion of more protein is mostly because you're eating a fuckton of carbs, which is fine if you don't want a 6-pack. Replace it all with brocolli and you'd be fine too.

agrajag

Banned
This. This right here.

This is what we're up against.

I kept giving them death stares. Thankfully the wrist curl bro only did two sets and left. It was too bad, because I like squatting in the power rack a lot more (the pin height is uncomfortable for me on the squat rack), but I got it done regardless.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I didn't hear anyone address your college recommendations, I highly recommend Princeton and Yale.

Petrie

Banned
I didn't hear anyone address your college recommendations, I highly recommend Princeton and Yale.

Impossible to address the college thing unless he tells us what that means. No clue what college changes, I'd eat the exact same things home, college, or elsewhere.

Ghost23

It might be enough grams of protein, but there are still more carbs than you can get away with eating if you want to drop stubborn fat.

Cottage cheese is a pretty tasty food for snacks or as a breakfast item. Good carb to protein ratio.

You could probably use more, but the biggest issue with your diet has to be its focus on sugar and carbs.

This is all disappointing to hear but expected. I can't decide if it's even worth to lose all enjoyment out of eating for something no one will see past summer season. I am in shape and feel good, but I guess it really does take extreme dieting to get the absolute BEST results.

Sorry I was typing on my phone so it wasn't clear. I was just wondering if college is easier/harder to find healthy alternatives to what I'm eating, like in dining halls. At home, my family loves to buy sugary crap which is why my diet is probably awful in the first place.

blackflag

You guys got any decent protein pancake recipes?

I was thinking something along the lines of 120g of whey, 100g of flour, 1 egg, some milk, and a tablespoon of baking powder.

there's a bunch.

I use a waffle one that is

protein powder
eggs
ground oatmeal and that's basically it. And it's so good.

If you want to start cooking with protein, Trutein is really by far the best option. It is expensive but so worth it.

Szu

http://i.imgur.com/Ice0pBZ.jpg?1

edit: you can also see an elastic band hanging off the power rack. He was using it to superset his pushups with kipping pullups with a band on one foot.

For a second there, I was wondering why he was in there.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This is all disappointing to hear but expected. I can't decide if it's even worth to lose all enjoyment out of eating for something no one will see past summer season. I am in shape and feel good, but I guess it really does take extreme dieting to get the absolute BEST results.

Diet like a machine. Food is not a pastime food is a job you must eat to survive you must eat to build muscle food is not a pastime food is a job only do job do not eat for pleasure feed your body for muscle deprive the body of carbs be the machine food is not a pastime food is not a pastime food is a job you must take no joy in your job you must do your job without joy

Ghost23

Diet like a machine. Food is not a pastime food is a job you must eat to survive you must eat to build muscle food is not a pastime food is a job only do job do not eat for pleasure feed your body for muscle deprive the body of carbs be the machine food is not a pastime food is not a pastime food is a job you must take no joy in your job you must do your job without joy

Must have taken some effort to only use one period in that post.

OHP is so damn hard. I'm shooting for 45kg today, the 42.5kg barrier has proven much tougher than I thought it would be.

Preparation! You'll get it.

OHP is up on my list thursday. Shooting for a new PR...

Annnnnnnnnnnd it's done!

1UP

You could almost say... the pressure went above my head.

csi-miami-opening-o.gif

Okay, I'll stop

Next time its 42,5kg!

Also, I seriously need to buy some friggin new boxers. I bought new ones about a month ago and they're already curling up in the gap between my thighs.

I even made a hole in my new pants right around the inner thigh section. :-(

Petrie

Banned

I'm not sure what you're talking about, all the things you should be eating are fucking delicious,they just don't come out of a wrapper ready to inhale. bacon and eggs kicks rhe shit out of mini wheats, seasoned chicken with brocolli and a some sweet potatoes or brown rice is a fuckton better than Subway, and there's a million other examples, they just take a bit more work and preperation, which is minimized by planning ahead.

And you can still have your faves, you just can't have them every day at every single meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom