• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sup guys,

I was hoping you guys could educate me a bit about exercises for my legs. What are easy things to do at the gym and what are things I should look out for?

Hope you guys can help me out a bit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sup guys,

I was hoping you guys could educate me a bit about exercises for my legs. What are easy things to do at the gym and what are things I should look out for?

Squats squats squats!

Check out Starting Strength and read the chapter on Squats. More squats than you can ever know, the cornerstone of STRENGGGGGTH

rando14

Well thanks guys, but any thing in addition to squads that could be good? Or do squads really cover it all ?

Squats cover a lot, though I feel you should supplement with some other hamstring exercises (such as ham curls).

Others include good mornings, glute-ham raises, deadlift (of couse), etc

For leg day I usually do squats, ham curl, leg press, and that's enough

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well thanks guys, but any thing in addition to squads that could be good? Or do squads really cover it all ?

SquaTs cover a lot :p But for me, in my experience, the best way to build overall strength are heavy squats, supremely heavy deadlifts, monster heavy bench, and weighted pull-ups.

I've been known to do some leg curls but...it ain't the same.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
This may not seem like a big deal to many here, but I'm proud that I'm able to do chin ups for 3 sets of 5 now. Last week was 3 sets of 4. I can do the same for pullups. There was a time when I wasn't able to do any. I feel like I'm making a lot better progress on 5/3/1 now than I was on Starting Strength, especially for upper body. For me, doing so many compound lifts every time I lifted was too much.
First of all that's huge progress. You should be very proud. From here it will just get better! Regarding making better gains by decreasing volume, I totally get it. Rest is THE most underrated and neglected topic in weight lifting IMO. I believe most people doing it naturally don't rest enough and prohibit their gains.

SquaTs cover a lot :p But for me, in my experience, the best way to build overall strength are heavy squats, supremely heavy deadlifts, monster heavy bench, and weighted pull-ups.

I've been known to do some leg curls but...it ain't the same.

Thanks a lot for the intel. Leg day is thursday, so I'll let you guys know how it went.

Squats cover a lot, though I feel you should supplement with some other hamstring exercises (such as ham curls).

Others include good mornings, glute-ham raises, deadlift (of couse), etc

For leg day I usually do squats, ham curl, leg press, and that's enough

Sweet, thanks.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Haha nah I don't usually have enough time to do too many different leg exercises since I do high rep, high set squats :p

Right now I'm working more on my hams and glutes, I think they're a little behind my quads

Mine definitely are. Neither of them engage hard like my quads do on squats, and it put me behind a bit. Humbling doing the ham work when you gotta play catchup to your quads.

andycapps

First of all that's huge progress. You should be very proud. From here it will just get better! Regarding making better gains by decreasing volume, I totally get it. Rest is THE most underrated and neglected topic in weight lifting IMO. I believe most people doing it naturally don't rest enough and prohibit their gains.

I think the difference that is helping me enjoy 5/3/1 is that I only have 1 core lift I have to nail for each time I work out. Once I do that, it's accessory stuff, which is helping my core lifts but it's not like I'm doing 3 compound exercises per day where I'm going balls to the wall on each one.

Whoever mentioned good mornings above. Hell yes. I started those last week and even at light weight, you can really give your hamstrings a killer workout. I felt those for several days.

I'm definitely proud of my progress on chin ups and squats. I've been adding one rep each week, and that's the plan until I get to 15 reps, then I'll start adding weight.

Sup guys,

Leg press machines of course!

SquatsSquatsSquatsSquatsSquatsSquatsSquatsSquats

Szu

Sup guys,

Including Squats, Leg press, Quad extensions, Ham curls, etc., I would also like to add the honorable mentions of the Box Jump and generally kicking things. :)

Matugi

Do you guys ever have the best post-workout pump ever and just want to marvel at yourself in the mirror, but you can't because the locker room is full of other people and it'll feel awkward?

Yeah, that was me yesterday. Such a blown opportunity :(

What sups are you guys on? Does anybody take any?

I currently use Jack3d. I just scored 4 containers of the old stuff which worked REALLY good. Made me last a lot longer and gave me more strength than the new formula, which is pretty bad, once I am done with the new stuff I have 4 months of the old Jack3d to go through. Some guy at GNC said the 1RM was a good replacement for the old Jack3d formula. I guess Ill find out in 5 months when I am finished. I am still going to hit up every Vitamin Shopp and GNC in Manhattan and buy out all the old Jack3d formulas. Some guy gave me a deal buy 1 29.99 get the next one 1/2 off.

My buddy is sending me up a free test booster called A-HD. He said to take it for a month and it will help "dry me out". I'm thinking why not?, its a free cycle of it. Do any of you guys have any experience with those test boosers from GNC? If so how was your experience with them?

sphinx

the piano man
this guy in this video is Mr. Mexico 2010, He calls himself Morris (I posted a tricep gif of him some pages back) and I am fan of his, awesome body.

On the topic of legs, here he does some Lunges with assitance of the smith machine, I had never seen that before and it looks like it would bring great results, I've been meaning to try it but never have a free day to fuck around and try new stuff but I'll do it some day.

He says is mainly glutes but hams seem engaged as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPD4roYPkgw&t=1m21s

SeanR1221

I currently use Jack3d. I just scored 4 containers of the old stuff which worked REALLY good. Made me last a lot longer and gave me more strength than the new formula, which is pretty bad, once I am done with the new stuff I have 4 months of the old Jack3d to go through. Some guy at GNC said the 1RM was a good replacement for the old Jack3d formula. I guess Ill find out in 5 months when I am finished. I am still going to hit up every Vitamin Shopp and GNC in Manhattan and buy out all the old Jack3d formulas. Some guy gave me a deal buy 1 29.99 get the next one 1/2 off.

My buddy is sending me up a free test booster called A-HD. He said to take it for a month and it will help "dry me out". I'm thinking why not?, its a free cycle of it. Do any of you guys have any experience with those test boosers from GNC? If so how was your experience with them?

Creatine, beta and citrulline. I just can't get on board with pre workouts. Black coffee for life.

Az

I really need to improve my chest. I am getting stronger in every aspect of my workout except for chest. Doesn't help that having a fucked up shoulder and hurting every chest day. Not sure what even my max is as I am scared to go all out without a spotter.

frustrating

Creatine, beta and citrulline. I just can't get on board with pre workouts. Black coffee for life.

I did black coffee my entire life until I tried Jack3d (old one) and there is a certain "explosiveness" that comes with the pre work out. I never looked back,

Is creatine a pre workout? or do you take it during your lift? I might try some.

So, FitnessGAF, I'm getting back into the habit of losing weight. A few years ago, I went from 270 lbs to 208 lbs purely from dieting and jogging. Life got in the way (I got lazy), not going to make any further excuse than that and ended up gaining around 45 lbs back. I lost half of that and I'm currently at 225 lbs.

Now, the thing is: I have never stuck to a weightlifting/weight training program. I have done the occasional pushup but other than that I haven't really lifted weights. A friend of mine told me that I would get maximum results from lifting and doing cardio at the same time rather than focusing on cardio and then going to lift weights when I'm at a lower weight.

So, I'll be a complete newbie at this. I'll be joining a gym in the next week or two that recently opened and has great reviews. I read the OP, I feel like I could do (or at least try) to do most of the weight lifting exercises listed under SS, but Power Cleans look...intimidating as fuck.

I know that I'm not going to give up: I've made many life changes in the past year and this is something that I want to commit to. I want to enjoy my 20s!

• Height: 5'8''
  • Weight: 225 lbs
  • Goal: To lose fat, possibly be around 170 lbs? Definitely hate wearing these XL shirts still.
  • Current Training Schedule: I'm free after work at 6pm during the week.
  • Current Training Equipment Available: Going to be joining a gym.

Any pointers for a complete newbie?

bro1

Banned
DAMMIT! This 30mg of Prednisone is making me starving today. I've already had:
1 english muffin with butter
2 pieces of toast with butter
Bowl of Paella (yellow rice with lobster, shrimp, and scallops)
Handful of yogurt covered rasins

I need to stop eating but it's so hard right now. I don't want gain any weight and this is making it tough. Even with these drugs in my system I need to have self control.

Tonight for dinner, I am making pasta with olive oil, fresh diced tomatoes, peas, basil, garlic, orgenao, and a bit of parmesean cheese. Going to have just one serving and call it a night. HATE THIS DAMN DRUG>

ACE 1991

haha yup
They're named after Glenn Pendlay, oly voach.

Stick with >1g of protein. Especially when cutting as more protein may be required to maintain lean body mass. Just fyi it's not 1 gram per pound of bodyweight really, it's 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. So you could actually maybe drop it a bit.

I wouldn't live and die by the opinions of individual commenters on reddit. Their faqs are solid but.

wth is that machine even for?
Thanks! Will my somewhat high sodium intake be a problem?

Pete Rock

Any pointers for a complete newbie?
Have faith in the programming, don't deviate or start attempting to "outsmart" the system because "your body" is different or you "don't like" certain lifts ie subbing in some type of jank 90lb hang-clean jerk-press in place of strict and controlled OHP & PC executions. You'll only set yourself back in big ways.

Start with very low weights, you need to train the motion and build the muscle memory both in your body and your mind, and this takes a lot of time. If you can only do two reps at a given weight, dropping it down by five pounds is not the best idea for your first week of SS. I would also say that as your body and experience develop, the loads will begin to feel significantly different - or more appropriate or inappropriate - depending on how bad your form is deviating. These are not signs that your body is failing ie your knees hurt, it is a sign you are processing the load incorrectly. Don't be too proud to examine your technique or overzealous to move extra weight in any given session.

For example a year ago my work sets on Bench were 95 pounds, today they are 195. I had a lot of stalls in between there because "my right elbow always hurt" and my form was bad in general. My elbow always hurt because I was squatting high bar and actually supporting the weight with that joint, although I did not realize it until looking back at my form and re-watching the SS videos for the third time. Once I corrected this, I started failing in more traditional ways that helped illustrate where my form was off. So I completely threw out my preconceptions of what a normal Bench felt like, learned correct setup positioning and loading order and have been able to make some gains over the last six months.

A lot of people have unrealistic goals for losing fat, spot reducing fat, gaining muscle mass or implementing "specialization routines" well before they can perform even a single double-body weight lift. Save yourself the time and put in the hard work up front, you'll see the payoffs in due time.

SeanR1221

I did black coffee my entire life until I tried Jack3d (old one) and there is a certain "explosiveness" that comes with the pre work out. I never looked back,

Is creatine a pre workout? or do you take it during your lift? I might try some.

Like despire said, no, no, sure take it. I take it post workout, usually with a half cup of orange juice. Don't expect miracles but it gives you a tiny edge. Oh, and don't bother doin a loading phase. Just take 5g a day every day.

I had a crazy level of soreness straight after my final set of OHP today.
Like so sore that I almost thought I had hurt myself (though I haven't, shoulders feel just fine).
But I had to take a break before being able to continue with the other lifts on the agenda.

Anyway, feels good to train.

Also, I think I might need to move up from M-sized t-shirts. Thanks to my sweaty body and dead shoulders, I had to squeeze myself out of my shirt girl-style.

SeanR1221

I had a crazy level of soreness straight after my final set of OHP today.
Like so sore that I almost thought I had hurt myself (though I haven't, shoulders feel just fine).
But I had to take a break before being able to continue with the other lifts on the agenda.

Anyway, feels good to train.

Also, I think I might need to move up from M-sized t-shirts. Thanks to my sweaty body and dead shoulders, I had to squeeze myself out of my shirt girl-style.

Filling out a large already?? Nice!

Wait our American medium is probably your large :p

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Have faith in the programming, don't deviate or start attempting to "outsmart" the system because "your body" is different or you "don't like" certain lifts ie subbing in some type of jank 90lb hang-clean jerk-press in place of strict and controlled OHP & PC executions. You'll only set yourself back in big ways.

Start with very low weights, you need to train the motion and build the muscle memory both in your body and your mind, and this takes a lot of time. If you can only do two reps at a given weight, dropping it down by five pounds is not the best idea for your first week of SS. I would also say that as your body and experience develop, the loads will begin to feel significantly different - or more appropriate or inappropriate - depending on how bad your form is deviating. These are not signs that your body is failing ie your knees hurt, it is a sign you are processing the load incorrectly. Don't be too proud to examine your technique or overzealous to move extra weight in any given session.

For example a year ago my work sets on Bench were 95 pounds, today they are 195. I had a lot of stalls in between there because "my right elbow always hurt" and my form was bad in general. My elbow always hurt because I was squatting high bar and actually supporting the weight with that joint, although I did not realize it until looking back at my form and re-watching the SS videos for the third time. Once I corrected this, I started failing in more traditional ways that helped illustrate where my form was off. So I completely threw out my preconceptions of what a normal Bench felt like, learned correct setup positioning and loading order and have been able to make some gains over the last six months.

A lot of people have unrealistic goals for losing fat, spot reducing fat, gaining muscle mass or implementing "specialization routines" well before they can perform even a single double-body weight lift. Save yourself the time and put in the hard work up front, you'll see the payoffs in due time.

Lots of REALLY good advice here and I can't stress the final paragraph enough. Tons of beginners absolutely have unrealistic goals - or "need to do this by this date" - stop thinking in terms of weeks, and even months. This takes years. Face that reality first.

Thank you.

I will say, a lot of this is overwhelming/intimidating. But, I will keep up with this. Got a job, got a girl, and all I need right now is to get into shape. An office job doesn't help with this at all.

Spin get starting strength on Kindle read it front to back then read it again. Second time round write a checklist for the exercises, it will refresh your mind on what you need to do rather than going off memory.
Oh, most definitely. I've just been basing what I know from the OP as well as youtube videos helping out with form. But, I guess there's a big difference between watching something an actually doing it. I can only do my best.

sphinx

the piano man
HOORRAYY!

my gym got a new power rack, I don't have to wait for the deadlifting guy to finish his stuff + squats are now safer.

blackflag

I've been wondering what my TDEE really is lately since it would be good to know. Problem is that I wouldn't want to go through the process of trial and error of adjusting calories and looking if I lose/gain weight.

I figured that if it would be possible to get some sort of estimate from my previous fat loss since I've kept records. There was a two week PSMF last fall which I used for my calculation because at that point I had already been on a diet a couple of weeks so any extra water weight shouldn't play a part in my weight change. It should mostly be fat because I was able to keep my strength at the time also.

So I calculated it like this:

Time period: 14 days
Total weight lost: 3,2kg
Calories eaten daily: ~1150kcal

-> 3,2 kg * 7000kcal = 22 400kcal

So if I lost 3,2kg fat (at least mostly), my total deficit over the two weeks must've been around 22 400 kcal.

-> 22 400kcal / 14 days = 1600 kcal (daily deficit)

Dividing the total deficit needed for the fat loss by the number of days we get the average deficit per day.

-> 1150 kcal + 1600 kcal = 2750kcal "TDEE"

By adding the daily deficit calories on top of the amount of calories I ate, we get some estimation of my TDEE at that time.

Does my math add up? The estimated TDEE from this formula is pretty much the same I get from different online calculators with "moderate exercise". Should I still find out my TDEE the old fashioned way ie. eating before starting a cut again?

I would be careful basing it off weight you lost during a psmf but 2,700 sounds about normal so it could be right.

The calculators do a really good job as long as you multiply your bmr by the right activity level.

blackflag

If you really are looking for a preworkout try Craze. It is insane. Also, you may already know but if you are buying stuff from GNC you are paying close to 2x what you should.

I use

Controlled Labs Multivitamin
Controlled Labs Fish Oil
Creatine
Whey
Beta Alanine
Ephedrine + Caffeine

despire

I would be careful basing it off weight you lost during a psmf but 2,700 sounds about normal so it could be right.

The calculators do a really good job as long as you multiply your bmr by the right activity level.

Yeah I know I need to be careful with this estimation because of the way I came up with it. I was just surprised that it was so close to what the calculators have given me as an estimation.

Also the problem with calculators is picking up the correct multiplier. Hard to say if 3x lifting a week with zero cardio plus mostly sedentary job is "light activity" or "moderate activity". I think I'll go with the higher option at first and then see what happens. If weight loss is non-existent after a couple of weeks I can be pretty sure my TDEE is lower and I need to eat less.

andycapps

Yeah, euro sizes are generally one size smaller :p
So your american S to american M.

That is one funny thing I remember from my limited time in Europe. Sizes are referred to by the letter and not the size. So they'd say they wanted a size "s" shirt and not a size small, and so on.

Rocking team large here. Used to try to fit into a medium, but if those things got dried once they'd instantly be a belly shirt.

blackflag

Yeah I know I need to be careful with this estimation because of the way I came up with it. I was just surprised that it was so close to what the calculators have given me as an estimation.

Also the problem with calculators is picking up the correct multiplier. Hard to say if 3x lifting a week with zero cardio plus mostly sedentary job is "light activity" or "moderate activity". I think I'll go with the higher option at first and then see what happens. If weight loss is non-existent after a couple of weeks I can be pretty sure my TDEE is lower and I need to eat less.

I'd say moderate as well.

Yeah it is pretty cool that it does seem close to a real expected TDEE. Might as well go with it.

thomaser

This really big, strong guy was in my gym today doing deadlifts, and ended with 200 kilos/440 pounds. I think that's the heaviest I've seen anyone lift here. He was real nice, and kept helping and spotting people in between his own sets. I asked him to check my own deadlift form, and he gave me lots of great advice. For example, he pointed out that I start out with my ass a little too low, and sometimes start lifting my ass before getting the weight off the ground. He also made me try lifting without shoes, since he thought my soles looked too thick. So nice to get advice from somebody like that! Maybe he was too helpful, though... lots of other people went up to him for advice too, so he never got around to doing his squats!

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What kind of whey isolate do you guys use? Why?

I'm using this stuff:

http://naturalfactors.com/products/detail/4454/100-natural-whey-protein

I picked it up on a whim because it was on sale at my local market, had extremely low carbs, and didn't contain a bunch of ingredients. I'm clueless in regards to its quality, though.

Any recommendations from you folks?

LhKTsqq.png

The Lamp

I just read over the part of the OP talking about GOMAD.

Just wanted to give a short version of my story in regards to that.

I don't really recommend going full GOMAD (maybe some extra milk to your diet everyday, but one gallon of milk, especially whole-fat, is downright dangerous).

I did 1 gallon of milk every day for about 5 weeks back in Summer 2011. I doubled my squatting weight and increased my weight on everything else. The strength I gained was startling. However, I put on about 33 lbs. of weight in that month, mostly water, and I had bloodtests done before the diet, after the diet, and 4 months after the diet. I was completely fine before the diet.

My blood results 5 weeks after starting the diet showed that my liver was in a lot of stress from all the milk. I was ordered by my doctor to cut out high fat foods, like whole milks, also tylenol or alcohol containing products, and any protein supplements, like pills or powders, until it was back to normal.

From what I understood, there are two major enzymes from the liver that signal liver stress/disease/damage, ALT (alanine aminotransferase) and AST (aspartate aminotransferase). Low levels of ALT are normally found in the blood. But when the liver is damaged or diseased, it releases ALT into the bloodstream, which makes ALT levels go up. Basically the same case for AST levels.

My ALT enzyme levels were 196 U/L when the normal range is 9-51 U/L.
My AST enzyme levels were 57 U/L when the normal range is 13-40 U/L.

A week and a half after my diet, after following her orders, they went down to 123 and 53 respectively, and then 4 months later, down to a normal 30 and 20.

I just can't recommend that anyone go on the GOMAD diet for longer than a couple of weeks at most, or at least to go full GOMAD. Maybe 1-3 extra glasses of milk a day, but NOT a whole gallon. Your liver is not designed to process all that junk every day and I wouldn't want to find out what would have happened if I had done it for as long as some people claim to do it. I had only planned to do it for about 5 or 6 weeks but I was shocked at how much it was stressing my body. It just wasn't worth it for me. I'd rather gain mass much more slowly if it means being healthy. Everybody's body is different, though, so this is just what happened to me.

If you really are looking for a preworkout try Craze. It is insane. Also, you may already know but if you are buying stuff from GNC you are paying close to 2x what you should.

I use

Controlled Labs Multivitamin
Controlled Labs Fish Oil
Creatine
Whey
Beta Alanine
Ephedrine + Caffeine

Craze is going to be the next sup to be banned. I hear good things about it too. Where do you buy your sups? I always thought that I get some good deals being a GNC Gold Member. I guess I gotta start getting my stuff online from now on.

EDIT: Just checked Bodybuilding.com store. Seems a bit cheaper like a buck or 2 on the protein I get.

I get this protein http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/giant-sports-products/delicious-protein.html Its so good that it taste like a milkshake. I recommend this to everyone that does not like the taste of protein. I never looked back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom