• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

rando14

one time I was fucking around at work and I made a lemonade, but I also squeezed some blood orange in there for color and mixed in a little salt and I swear the god it tasted just like the red gatorade. It's the salt! Everyone who tried it said so too.

haha yup, multibillion dollar sport drinks industry basically comes down to sugar, water and salt.

squeeze in some fruit punch kool aid in a jug of water, toss in some salt and you've got a sport drink for 30 cents a gallon

abuC

Welp, won't be doing legs this week and I expect to have a huge bruise on my thigh tomorrow. Dropped a 140# DB on my thigh while sitting up too fast after benching. I was upright before the DB was on my leg, stupid mistake and needless to say I'll just drop the weights from now on.

2 month progress report on SS

I tried a few weeks at maintenance, not making much progress. Been eating well since.

6'2 185->190lbs
Squat bar->145lbs. Having issues with hurting my shoulder because of lack of flexibility.
OHP bar-;>95lbs
Bench 125->140lbs.
Deadlift 135->225

My bench and OHP have been stalling at least once per increase. I thought there were supposed to be no stalls for awhile? Had me kinda worried. Are these normal progress numbers?

2 month progress report on SS

I tried a few weeks at maintenance, not making much progress. Been eating well since.

6'2 185->190lbs
Squat bar->145lbs. Having issues with hurting my shoulder because of lack of flexibility.
OHP bar-;>95lbs
Bench 125->140lbs.
Deadlift 135->225

My bench and OHP have been stalling at least once per increase. I thought there were supposed to be no stalls for awhile? Had me kinda worried. Are these normal progress numbers?

What do you mean by stalling? Do you mean failing 3 times in a row? That's a stall. If you stall, then deload and then go pass your plateau, don't worry! It's normal! keep on trucking! Also, the OHP is a very slow growing exercise. I have seen people advice even 2.5 lb increases on that lift! The Bench is very technique dependent also, so keep focus on keeping your elbows damn straight and your body super tight.

Those are great numbers for 8 weeks of SS training by the way. Your squat is kind of lacking though. What are your main flexibility issues? Maybe post a video?

Thanks! Stalling as in I fail to complete 3x5 once or twice, not 3 times. I assumed you would be able to move up every workout at first.

My flexibility issues with the squat I believe is closed shoulders. It hurts just to put the bar into position. I've been doing shoulder dislocations and they have been helping, but I think I need to take it easy while they heal. I hurt something in both shoulders. I think I was having problems trying to keep my elbows up while getting in position. I tried letting my arms hang today, then raising my elbows once I was in position, it felt a bit better

Thanks! Stalling as in I fail to complete 3x5 once or twice, not 3 times. I assumed you would be able to move up every workout at first.

My flexibility issues with the squat I believe is closed shoulders. It hurts just to put the bar into position. I've been doing shoulder dislocations and they have been helping, but I think I need to take it easy while they heal. I hurt something in both shoulders. I think I was having problems trying to keep my elbows up while getting in position. I tried letting my arms hang today, then raising my elbows once I was in position, it felt a bit better

Official SS stall definition is "you ate and slept properly and still failed to get the 3x5 3 workouts in a row." The upper body lifts do slow down pretty quickly.

Ah so you haven't stalled yet! That's good!

Also, your flexibility will only improve so don't get discouraged

Chittagong

Gold Member
Partial frontal nudity time! Would Fit-GAF want to give me an estimate my fat-% here? I am thinking around 20%.

Ap1aO6H.jpg

For reference, here are old pics of my progress through January to May.

Moppet13

I figured I should post this here

I have been working out for about 5 months and an issue I have had is not having enough energy and being too weak to lift what I really can. I sat down and looked at what I've been eating and realized that I am only getting about 700 calories a day. I'm trying to figure out how to eat more but since I started working I haven't had a lot of time for food. When I wake up I eat about 2 eggs, go to work then go home eat a can of Tuna, go to the gym, and then maybe eat another can of Tuna and go to bed. Really not healthy.

I guess what I'm saying is I need some suggestions for food that contains a fair amount of protein that's easy to work with on a budget. For about 4-5 years I was lactose intolerant but that randomly stopped, so I haven't had a lot of dairy for a long time so I guess I should start there? I could really use some suggestions, I am a really picky eater but I'm definitely willing to try new things.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Holy crap Moppet, you should be happy to be alive, let alone lift. 700kcal, good god. How much do you weigh? I am guessing very little so putting on weight is a priority. GOMAD would be my first suggestion for cheap and effective bulk but given you are lactose intolerant that might be tricky.

Try fatty ground meet, fatty yogurt, peanuts, buy a bottle of olive oil and soak all your veg in it, try and find cheap chicken and eat it with skin. Also frankfurters are great, cheap and calorie dense.

Moppet13

Holy crap Moppet, you should be happy to be alive, let alone lift. 700kcal, good god. How much do you weigh? I am guessing very little so putting on weight is a priority. GOMAD would be my first suggestion for cheap and effective bulk but given you are lactose intolerant that might be tricky.

Try fatty ground meet, fatty yogurt, peanuts, buy a bottle of olive oil and soak all your veg in it, try and find cheap chicken and eat it with skin. Also frankfurters are great, cheap and calorie dense.

I have gained about 20 pounds since I started working out surprisingly, I weight about 160, but ever since I started working again I've been lucky to maintain my weight. I actually have trouble thinking of ways to get more calories because I'm so often not hungry.

I'm not lactose intolerant anymore so I can totally get on that again, I was thinking of buying milk to start, does it really matter what kind? I'm liking your ideas for food too so far. Was thinking of mixing natural peanut butter into my protein shakes, that's probably a good idea too right?

Chittagong

Gold Member
I have gained about 20 pounds since I started working out surprisingly, I weight about 160, but ever since I started working again I've been lucky to maintain my weight. I actually have trouble thinking of ways to get more calories because I'm so often not hungry.

I'm not lactose intolerant anymore so I can totally get on that again, I was thinking of buying milk to start, does it really matter what kind? I'm liking your ideas for food too so far. Was thinking of mixing natural peanut butter into my protein shakes, that's probably a good idea too right?

yeah in your case you just need to get the calories up as a first priority so semi skimmed or full fat milk is what you want to go for, and fatty proteins. Can't really quite imagine what pb does in a shake, but yeah nutritionally pb is great, pure protein and fat. I eat it quite a bit.

despire

I have been working out for about 5 months and an issue I have had is not having enough energy and being too weak to lift what I really can. I sat down and looked at what I've been eating and realized that I am only getting about 700 calories a day. I'm trying to figure out how to eat more but since I started working I haven't had a lot of time for food. When I wake up I eat about 2 eggs, go to work then go home eat a can of Tuna, go to the gym, and then maybe eat another can of Tuna and go to bed. Really not healthy.

I guess what I'm saying is I need some suggestions for food that contains a fair amount of protein that's easy to work with on a budget. For about 4-5 years I was lactose intolerant but that randomly stopped, so I haven't had a lot of dairy for a long time so I guess I should start there? I could really use some suggestions, I am a really picky eater but I'm definitely willing to try new things.

What in the world..? Dude, how can you live like that?

Visceir

Got myself some ON Gold Standard 100% Whey, milk chocolate flavored. Been using it for a few days now.

I'm not quite sure but I think that is the cause of my stomach being all upset and bloated. I used a different whey protein before and had no problems.

Yesterday was really bad, today I'm feeling better already but still got that bloated feeling. Since I still have 2 months' worth of that stuff I will obviously continue using it and hope I will get used to it.

SeanR1221

For the love of god, Moppet, eat more! I had two cans of tuna for lunch alone and I'm trying to lose weight.

Chitta, I'm bad at estimating BF% but great progress so far

ILoveBish

Great tricep day at the gym, i think this is the last week i'll be doing any tricep days anymore and just fit them into my accessories from here on out. Great gains and everything i do is easier, triceps are essential for success. I also am happy to report i weigh'd myself now that im on SKD keto, and ive dropped 1.5lbs since i was stalling on CKD, and this is all while making gains still. Im going to keep SKD going for at least another 2 months, then cycle back into CKD. Really damn happy tho.

So the past two months or so, I've been on a mission to shed the gut/love handles and gain more muscle. I've been coming up with a routine to do for five weeks, and at the end of each period, that's when I step onto the scale and check the results. I never weigh myself in-between or change anything mid-stream, I just stick with it and hope for the best.

I've been trying to stick to eating 1500-1700 calories a day, with the weekend being my "cheat days" where I don't pay close attention to what I eat. I eat a pack of oatmeal 30-45 mins before I workout, and have a protein shake a half hour afterwards. I also try to make a conscious effort to get as much protein as I can. Drinking tons of water too throughout the day (64 ounces at the minimum).

I'm 33 years old, male and 6'1" tall...

May 11th (the start): 190 lbs
June 14th: 182 lbs
July 20th: 174 lbs

But the nice thing is I haven't noticed any loss of muscle mass -- seen slight gains if anything -- and it does seem like my waistline is shrinking. I'm almost out of holes on my belt to tighten it. :)

What sucks is with fat disappearing everywhere, it just makes the love handles look bigger. I'm hoping that will eventually dwindle.

Most men lose all around their gut rather then the gut much quicker. I have the same issue myself, if my stomach fat was gone, i'd look totally in shape, but the stomach fat is the last to go. Just keep working on it.

What i would suggest is taking a day out of the week to go shopping, go get ground beef and chicken, cook it, then throw it in the freezer and have it ready for the rest of the week. This is what i do, so that i always have good clean food ready to make within 30 minutes. Depending on lifestyle, its tough to eat right, but i find freezing cooked food has worked for me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The time is coming where I shift to 5/3/1 BBB. Anyone have a be-all to end-all guide on it? All I can find are scattered interviews. Or do I need to grab a book? (Probably a book)

or I could just go to

http://www.strstd.com/

and not have to overthink it.

Cagey

Banned
OHP is without question the first major lift that one will stall on

Since it's mostly a triceps exercise, strengthening your triceps will help the most. Heavy dips, CGBP, etc will be very beneficial

That's odd. My triceps (dips, decline CGBP) are a strong point. Maybe there's a form problem in addition to that.

My triceps are totally my strong point, it and probably contributes to the relative ease I've had when it comes to bench and OHP.
I love tricep pull-downs with a rope attachment, by far the best tricep exercise in my opinion.

Sean, took your advice and am adding some dips, pull-ups as well as chin-ups (afaik, both engage the triceps to a degree) to my routine, so hopefully they'll get even stronger and bigger.

Monday - OHP
Lateral raises
Tricep pushdowns
Preacher curls
Pull-ups (3x10)
Dips (3x10)

Tuesday – Gentle Cardio 30 minutes

Wednesday - Deadlift
Glute-ham raise
Lower back machine
Weighted AB crunch
Hanging leg raise (3x10)
Side plank (3x10)

Thursday – Gentle Cardio 30 minutes

Friday - Bench Press
DB decline
Bent over DB rows
Hammer curls
Chest DB flyes
Chin-up (3x10)

Saturday – Gentle Cardio 30 minutes

Squatday

Leg press
Calf raises
Glute-ham raise
BB lunges
Oblique cable

[BROSCIENCE] Added the cardio days because I figured it couldn't hurt to increase blood flow to my tired muscles on my rest days, as that might improve my recovery, and so long as I kept the cardio very gentle and not too long it shouldn't impede with my recovery [/BROSCIENCE]

Chittagong

Gold Member
Chitta, I'm bad at estimating BF% but great progress so far

Thanks!!

I think around 20% sounds about right.
Excellent progress btw, it looks like you were 30% in that first pic, so you've made an amazing drop in BF% in addition to weight.

Thanks! Very happy of the progress so far, but getting that last 6-8% off will probably be crazy hard work. I can't even visualize being there, I have never been 12-14%.

Dude, are you me? We have pretty similar build.

Post pics! Want to see what that build is like, I am kinda blind to my own physique.

terrible @ estimating bf as well but there is a clear difference in your body composition. keep it up!

---------

back to the gym today. After Vegas, I was fine. It was the week after of nothing but fast foods that really fucked me up lol. It is okay, after 2 weeks, I will be back to normal. Still need to figure out what I want to do as far as a routine goes.

Finally dropped the water weight, the face and the weist is back to normal and I can finally see my real gain.

Ive gained 1 KG in roughly 2 weeks, which is exactly what I was after.

Thinking of using roids to get ripped quick....but its just a thought for now

Yeah dips are godlike. They destroy my tris. I then do light rope pushdowns and facepulls for a 5x15-20

Man, I feel ashamed now.
Did the dips and pull-ups at the end of everything else, and couldn't manage them without some assistance.

I got a tremendous pump on though following my new routine, and did it faster than my previous ones (cut down on rest-time, 30 sec max in-between sets, 45 sec max in-between exercises). Now I gotta wait for the pump to go away before I can get myself out of this t-shirt.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Finally dropped the water weight, the face and the weist is back to normal and I can finally see my real gain.

It'll go away as soon as you stop. It doesn't stay there. It's not a quick fix. It won't jumpstart you and then you can stop using them.

5/3/1! 5/3/1! 5/3/1!

Yeah I thought you (FE) said you were going to do 531+BBB challenge?

I haven't fully decided yet. I been doing variations of 5/3/1 for the better part of a year. The gains keep coming so I should keep going. That being said, I really want to focus on the deadlift and want size to be a goal of mine for the rest of the year. I'm looking into doing the Coan/Phillipi 10 week Deadlift Routine or the Magnusson-Ortmayer Deadlift Routine. Leaning towards the latter just because I like the structure more. Looking into Chad Waterbury as well as his 8x3 routine seems real interesting.

I do know that I want bigger arms, traps, and back. Focus on calves and abs/core. Really want to hit these 2 or 3 times a week. Legs and chest will be on the backburner for now. Shoulders are prolly in the same boat.

sphinx

the piano man
so, I've been looking for alternative exercises to incline BP that work the upper chest and a friend of mine suggested me to watch this guy and this exercise,

is basically a close grip dumbbell incline press, It looks easy to do but I wonder if it's an efficient exercise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebOots24nKA

anyone does it like this? I've tried ICB but it feels odd and I'd like to do stuff that isn't as dangerous as barbell presses.

by the way, the guy dislikes flys for chest.. never heard anyone talk against flies, I though they were loved by everyone.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I know but if I don't stop, I'll have the perfect body whole the time?

You still have to put in significant work. Honestly, I don't like judging people like this, but your mind does not seem to be in the right place for this. I wouldn't do it.

Just because you do roids doesn't mean you will get ripped quick. You still have to bust your ass in the gym to get to where you want. You can reach your ideal look without roids. Plus the amount of money, time, and other drugs you need in order to keep everything in check just make it not worth it.

Seriously, you are just a beginner. It will come with time. It takes a while.

sphinx

the piano man
I know but if I don't stop, I'll have the perfect body whole the time?

like Sunflower, I wouldn't judge but that seems to be stuff someone could try as an advanced athlete/lifter, one who has a lot of knowledge in fitness, nutrition and very clear idea of why should that be used and how exactly is that supposed to help your goals.

I wouldn't entertain the thought now, there's plenty of things to learn about this discipline before considering that.

just think about it thoroughly.

Roids is only ever time-energy efficient if you're rich (and know your stuff).
Just spend that roid money on more protein rich foods, more creatine, and maybe a couple of pre-workout stimulants instead (coffee+pepsi, or BCAA).

Also, you need to set short-term goals, or else you will give up as you realize that you've in a year only managed to work yourself one-fifth or one-fourth towards you ultimate ideal physique. Just focus gaining 5lbs in muscle weight first, and once you've reached that target in a couple of months, another 5lbs, and so on until you one day realize you've hit your ideal physique.

Frostburn

Had a Personal Health Assessment/Screening at work today. 5'7" and 146 lbs. I'm pretty happy with my BF% but I do want a more defined chest, currently I work on it 2-3 times a week, anything I can do besides bench (bar and bell), incline, flat, decline, cable cross, dips and OHP? I feel like nothing I do helps much, though it is more defined and larger than it was a year ago progress is extremely slow.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also re: roids - you can do them wrong. You have to be very knowledgeable about the body and how they actually work.

Ok, whats realistic body type if you bulk correctly for 6-7 months and cut after that? Will you be anywhere near this:

lean-body.jpg

?

Of course. I vaguely remember your pics. I want to say you are a year+ away from that. Maybe less? imo, I just think you should not worry about that and just lift heavy and hard. Easier said than done.

Had a Personal Health Assessment/Screening at work today. 5'7" and 146 lbs. I'm pretty happy with my BF% but I do want a more defined chest, currently I work on it 2-3 times a week, anything I can do besides bench (bar and bell), incline, flat, decline, cable cross, dips and OHP? I feel like nothing I do helps much, though it is more defined and larger than it was a year ago progress is extremely slow.

Don't work so often on the chest.
Try doing it once a week, but do it really, really hard.
You don't really need to do anything but flat bench DB, decline bench DB, chest flyes - and go low rep, high weight.

If you don't have access to bench, you're probably not going to get a very large chest.

Lovely Salsa: Save the money, use that cash on some good quality protein powder, healthy protein bars, creatine, etc. That stuff will help you out way more than a personal trainer (you can always continue asking FitnessGAF for free advice).

sphinx

the piano man
Of course. I vaguely remember your pics. I want to say you are a year+ away from that. Maybe less? imo, I just think you should not worry about that and just lift heavy and hard. Easier said than done.

damn, I'd like to see Salsa's pics, cause that pectoral is extremely well defined for a guy who has been lifting for less than a year, don't know, maybe I've been doing it wrong all this time. .

SquiddyCracker, Im using Whey 100% gold standard edition and eating healthy. Should be enough?

I need a PT so I can do it all correctly , have some problems with parts of my body since I had a car accident.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I just think a year is an incredibly short timeframe for achieving a quality body like that and does not acknowledge the massive amount of work that goes into it, from the full pecs to the round delts, to the lean body fat.

I mean, I am really happy with my 6 month progress I posted earlier, and think I have worked almost as hard as anyone could and clearly I can see already now that a body like in the pic above is a multiyear commitment. It's sculpture, and clay isn't readily available.

Ok, whats realistic body type if you bulk correctly for 6-7 months and cut after that? Will you be anywhere near this:

lean-body.jpg

?

Depends on a lot of things. The shape of your muscles are a big one. Everyone has different muscle cuts and insertions. Can you get to 10-12% body fat? Sure, depending on where you are at now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom