• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szu

This is what I am shooting for
]

Or you can go all out Zangief mode.
capsnk2zangief01.png

Pavaloo

So I started 5/3/1 today and it feels soooooo good after months and months of SS. Definitely should have dropped SS sooner. (I probably was on it for ~3 months too long) It's just way less stressful

question: Should I be doing replacing my DB rows with powercleans like in SS while doing BBB?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So I started 5/3/1 today and it feels soooooo good after months and months of SS. Definitely should have dropped SS sooner. (I probably was on it for ~3 months too long) It's just way less stressful

I rarely see you in here - give us a big update on how your months of SS went!

question: Should I be doing replacing my DB rows with powercleans like in SS while doing BBB?

Did you just drop it because you stalled 3 times as the programs says? Or did it get just too stressful?

I am doing SS right now and it's becoming a nightmare. I am in the best disposition to take it though (vacations, good money for food, etc.) and it certainly is building mental resilience.

Is 5/3/1 the Texas method? That's what I did when I completed SS

Pavaloo

I rarely see you in here - give us a big update on how your months of SS went!
Ah yeah, I had to start lurking, it was much easier to post regularly when you can just read gaf in the office lol.

But yeah for sure, I'll definitely get an update together and compare some of my old progress pics. :)

Did you just drop it because you stalled 3 times as the programs says? Or did it get just too stressful?

I am doing SS right now and it's becoming a nightmare. I am in the best disposition to take it though (vacations, good money for food, etc.) and it certainly is building mental resilience.

Is 5/3/1 the Texas method? That's what I did when I completed SS

I know I definitely stalled 3 times this year and that's probably when I should have stopped. For the last few months I've been cutting on SS and mostly maintaining strength in my lifts, but as I lost weight I had to drop weight off my squat and deadlift. So honestly it was after about 2 months of my lifts going nowhere that I decided to move on. I just got to a point with my numbers where I feel like it's okay for me to squat once a week rather than three times.

Plus I think I've also been doing SS for about 9-10 months lol.

I looked into the Rippetoe Texas Method , but I'm doing Wendler's 5/3/1 program. I plugged my info into this strength calculator and got my routine from there too

MjFrancis

My gym is now under new management and it's run by some fucking bigots. I see other people deadlift(though not often), and they hear not a word. I do some deadlifts, and they're all on my ass with this planetfitness nonsense, this is a Gold's Gym.

Gold's Gym North Las Vegas is bigoted towards people who lift heavy weights. How the fuck am I supposed to ever reach my goal of 600 lb deadlift if you won't let me lift some heavy ass weights? I'm not going to make it brah. I had to deadlift like a ninja, by going around midnight. This is some bullshit.
image.php

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
My gym is now under new management and it's run by some fucking bigots. I see other people deadlift(though not often), and they hear not a word. I do some deadlifts, and they're all on my ass with this planetfitness nonsense, this is a Gold's Gym.

Gold's Gym North Las Vegas is bigoted towards people who lift heavy weights. How the fuck am I supposed to ever reach my goal of 600 lb deadlift if you won't let me lift some heavy ass weights? I'm not going to make it brah. I had to deadlift like a ninja, by going around midnight. This is some bullshit.

Hand them the loaded bar when they come over.

jimbor

Banned
I know everybody is different, gains vary, move on after three stalls etc etc but is there an 'average' time that people stay on ss?

velociraptor

I'm so jealous of you guys complaining how hard it is to put on weight. I'm just trying to get that last bit of fat off at my waist. I loooooooooooove to eat, can't imagine complaining about it :)
I have to eat like 3000 calories to gain weight.

Eating (quality) food is hard.

blackflag

In for 6,000 calories. I'd love to do this eryday.

I feel like I'm dying and starving to death on my cut and it ain't even that low. Between 2,700-2,200 cals depending on the day of the week.

velociraptor

Nope.

I could eat 6000 calories of quality food every day and still be hungry. I'd kill for the reverse.
I want to eat more - I wish I could. But I just find that I quickly get full.

The other day I stuffed my self but it was pretty horrid - I was on the verge of vomiting. My gag reflex went into overdrive.

I feel like I have to force feed myself sometimes.

Dude, be prepared to the addiction of PR every day.

Today I continue with SS, I arrive at the magical milestone of 315 squat. Today's workout:
- Squat 3x5 315 (PR?)
- Overhead press 3x5 135 (second chance)
- Power Cleans 5x3 145 (getting back slowly to my recorded max)
- Chinups 3x15 bodyweight (194#) can only do 6/5/4 ATM

I am curiously not as frightened of today's workout as last Friday. I am excited to break the 315...

- Squat. All right I did it! The bar felt HEAVY for the first time in a while! It's like going from 310 to 315 activated a switch in my head that wanted to pull a Challenge Denied meme on me. My abs were all kind of sore, even my shoulders and lats! Tried to fix my wrists-bend issue, but the form creep is too big, it's going to take a while. Here is the evidence (plus some critique?):
http://youtu.be/_-i91IvLMGo

- Overhead Press, did 5/5/4! Missed the very last rep! WTF. Second failed chance
- Power Cleans were uneventful, just getting the form right
- Decided to do Pullups ala Practical Programming did only 4/3/3. These are

sphinx

the piano man
I want to eat more - I wish I could. But I just find that I quickly get full.

The other day I stuffed my self but it was pretty horrid - I was on the verge of vomiting. My gag reflex went into overdrive.

I feel like I have to force feed myself sometimes.

#teamsmallstomach

but today I made i...., reached 2500 calories.... I ate good stuff but is way too much, I noticed it helped to have the food in the plate, not watch it, just cut and into the mouth while watching something on your phone or tablet for distraction. This isn't about taste or joy, it has to get in, period.

later on workout was good but shoulder day is so exhausting, I think is my weakest bodypart.

- Squat. Here is the evidence (plus some critique?):

eh :D are you in Mexico? that looks EXACTLY like the gym I went to when I visited my parents.

sphinx

the piano man
Count me in the #6kclub

Give me all of your fuel

lol I am sure you guys have cooked chicken breasts lying around, under the couch and under your pillow. 6000 is unthinkable for me, it's nearly 2.5 times what I ate today, I'd die.

that christopher waltz burger .gif comes in handy right now.

Chittagong

Gold Member
- Squat. All right I did it! The bar felt HEAVY for the first time in a while! It's like going from 310 to 315 activated a switch in my head that wanted to pull a Challenge Denied meme on me. My abs were all kind of sore, even my shoulders and lats! Tried to fix my wrists-bend issue, but the form creep is too big, it's going to take a while. Here is the evidence (plus some critique?):

- Overhead Press, did 5/5/4! Missed the very last rep! WTF. Second failed chance
- Power Cleans were uneventful, just getting the form right
- Decided to do Pullups ala Practical Programming did only 4/3/3. These are

M********* those are deep, and with that weight too. All while Daft Punk is playing on the background. Doesn't get much better than that!

Petrie

Banned
Are we brothers who were separated?

Seems that way.

I don't get full. I just control my urge to eat. I could eat constantly all day every day.

And I'd love every minute of it.

I keep pushing the limits on how long I fast though and my results have been good, despite the stupid diabetes. Last I at was last night around 10-11pm and it's almost 8pm the next day now. Has me considering trying to go to fasting on 2 off my non-lifting days during the week and eating far more on lifting days. Thoughts?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Two PRs that I'm gonna contribute to my mammoth sushi feed last night.

150 DB bench x5
265 BB Incline bench x4

I would stick to what you're doing until you hit a plateau Petrie.

SeanR1221

Seems that way.

I don't get full. I just control my urge to eat. I could eat constantly all day every day.

And I'd love every minute of it.

I keep pushing the limits on how long I fast though and my results have been good, despite the stupid diabetes. Last I at was last night around 10-11pm and it's almost 8pm the next day now. Has me considering trying to go to fasting on 2 off my non-lifting days during the week and eating far more on lifting days. Thoughts?

Sounds like eat stop eat which I'm almost done reading. I'm saving it for if I plateau. Right now 2000cal and 200g of protein is working great.

Count me on team 6k. I could eat and eat.

Wolf, nice job. Throwing around 315 like its nothing.

cryptic

So Gaf I just have to ge this off my chest.

I was squatting heavy today and while I'm doing it this very hot girl I like, that I have been exchanging glances with for the past few weeks just shows up in the machine behind me.

She's got a crazy look, just fierce blue eyes and she was working hard and I got this weird feeling I can't really explain when I saw her struggling. Almost like a " i can't watch this is too embarassing" but I don't feel that way it all. I love the fact she works out and tries hard.

Anyway though, that and the fact she just appeared just surprised me and I had no idea what to say so I just finished my sets(new PR 250 lbs. ATG).

What should I of done GAF, all these weird emotions, should I have just went over there and muttered some shit like Rippetoe and hope it went well?
I'm upset man, appreciate any gym and women advice.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I was squatting heavy today and while I'm doing it this very hot girl I like, that I have been exchanging glances with for the past few weeks just shows up in the machine behind me.

She's got a crazy look, just fierce blue eyes and she was working hard and I got this weird feeling I can't really explain when I saw her struggling. Almost like a " i can't watch this is too embarassing" but I don't feel that way it all. I love the fact she works out and tries hard.

Anyway though, that and the fact she just appeared just surprised me and I had no idea what to say so I just finished my sets(new PR 250 lbs. ATG).

What should I of done GAF, all these weird emotions, should I have just went over there and muttered some shit like Rippetoe and hope it went well?

Disregard females acquire aesthetics

Ripclawe

Banned
anyone else tried these?
41pyRvig6SL._SY450_.jpg
282.JPG

Life Lift™ Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
INGREDIENTS: Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate, Dairy Protein Rice Crisp); Isomalto-Oligosaccharide (100% Natural Prebiotic Fiber Derived From Plant Sources), Almond Oil, Sunflower Butter, Peanut Butter, Erythritol, Natural Flavors, Apple Fiber, Natural Chocolate Chips [Maltitol (As Sweetener), Unsweetened Chocolate (Processed With Alkali), Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin (As Emulsifier), Natural Vanilla Extract], Purified Water, Sodium Chloride And Sunflower Lecithin.
CONTAINS: Milk, Peanuts, Tree Nuts (Almond) & Soy (As Soy Lecithin) Contains No Soy Protein.
ALLERGEN WARNING: Manufactured On Equipment Which Process Milk, Egg, Soy, Wheat, Peanut & Tree Nuts
Drink An Additional 12 Ounces Of Water With Each Life Lift Bar.
20g fiber 20 grams of protein, it comes off as a poor mans questbar but it tastes meh in a pinch but costs about 10 cents less than quest.

velociraptor

#teamsmallstomach

but today I made i...., reached 2500 calories.... I ate good stuff but is way too much, I noticed it helped to have the food in the plate, not watch it, just cut and into the mouth while watching something on your phone or tablet for distraction. This isn't about taste or joy, it has to get in, period.

later on workout was good but shoulder day is so exhausting, I think is my weakest bodypart.

eh :D are you in Mexico? that looks EXACTLY like the gym I went to when I visited my parents.
Not only I find my small stomach is an issue, I simply don't know what to cook or eat. It's hard making a meal which is 600-700 healthy calories to help fit my macros, unless I eat chicken breast + rice + milk for every meal. Lol.

Petrie

Banned
Not only I find my small stomach is an issue, I simply don't know what to cook or eat. It's hard making a meal which is 600-700 healthy calories to help fit my macros, unless I eat chicken breast + rice + milk for every meal. Lol.

Well there you go, you found your meal. Enjoy it.

Variety is overrated.

agrajag

Banned

I think this is the thread you're looking for

SeanR1221

12 ounces of tuna, 4tbsp of mayo and 4 eggs

4 sausage links with onions and peppers

Ground beef stuffed into a pepper covered in provolone cheese

2 salmon fillets and a sweet potato cut and baked into fries.

Revenant

Height: 6'5"
Weight: 230
Goal: lower body fat, lose weight
Current Training Schedule: Hockey Tuesday and Saturday (Goaltending) 3 hours total, Hockey Sunday (Forward) 2 hours total, skating/practice drills 4-5 days a week 50-80 minutes each.
Current Training Equipment Available: free weights, gym access, bike
Comments:

alright, basically i just graduated college recently and while all of that was great and fun I'm trying to craft a better lifestyle now that i work a desk job and and all the cheap beer and pizza are behind me. what's above has been my fitness schedule since late may as i try to stay active. my questions sort of come down to

if i want to lose 10-15 more lbs:

- what kind of diet would work best so that i'm burning fat efficiently if that makes any sense. should i still be taking in a decent amount of protein? should i try to keep my carb intake extremely low?

- should i have some sort of weight training to accompany the current activities i do? i always tend to hear you can't burn fat and gain muscle at the same time which is fine, but would it still have benefits?

Nilaul

So Gaf,
Any good youtube videos explaining nutrition, in order to say lean and ripped (with no secret paywall traps)?

From what I gathered its all about cutting out junk and processed food. 100 percent organic and free range?

About sports drinks...gatorade, powerade, etc. Electrolyte replenishers. Probably a dense question, but are these things actually "good"for you? If so, should I only drink them during/after workouts? Ate they ok to have just as a "snack" drink instead of sodas and whatnot?

I drink nothing but water like 99% of the time and my diet is fairly clean, but I'm just curious if it's something that has an actual benefit or use. I do work out a lot, and twice a day some days.

rando14

About sports drinks...gatorade, powerade, etc. Electrolyte replenishers. Probably a dense question, but are these things actually "good"for you? If so, should I only drink them during/after workouts? Ate they ok to have just as a "snack" drink instead of sodas and whatnot?

I drink nothing but water like 99% of the time and my diet is fairly clean, but I'm just curious if it's something that has an actual benefit or use. I do work out a lot, and twice a day some days.

ingredients: water, sugar, salt

I never drink sports drinks even after heavy lifting/cardio, I usually let my post workout meal take care of those

I can only imagine them being useful if you're an actual athlete who needs to perform and can't have a meal in between

Cagey

Banned
5/3/1-GAF, I've stalled on overhead press. Still making great gains in the big three lifts, but overhead press has stagnated. Should I simply drop the weight a bit and "reboot" on that one, while continuing ahead with the rest as planned?

rando14

5/3/1-GAF, I've stalled on overhead press. Still making great gains in the big three lifts, but overhead press has stagnated. Should I simply drop the weight a bit and "reboot" on that one, while continuing ahead with the rest as planned?

OHP is without question the first major lift that one will stall on

Since it's mostly a triceps exercise, strengthening your triceps will help the most. Heavy dips, CGBP, etc will be very beneficial

I never drink sports drinks even after heavy lifting/cardio, I usually let my post workout meal take care of those

I can only imagine them being useful if you're an actual athlete who needs to perform and can't have a meal in between

Cool, just making sure. Take a protein shake after workouts, but nothing but actual home cooked food for all other meals. Just making sure I wasn't missing out on something I needed. Thanks for the info. What about some of the amino acid supplements you can get to sip during workouts with your water? Skip those too?

rando14

Cool, just making sure. Take a protein shake after workouts, but nothing but actual home cooked food for all other meals. Just making sure I wasn't missing out on something I needed. Thanks for the info. What about some of the amino acid supplements you can get to sip during workouts with your water? Skip those too?

I'm assuming you're talking about BCAAs? I've never taken them but some people who do intermittent fasting like to take them before working out. I don't personally take preworkouts but coffee is all I'd ever need.

IMO intra-workouts are a waste of money unless you're a hardcore powerlifter or something

agrajag

Banned

one time I was fucking around at work and I made a lemonade, but I also squeezed some blood orange in there for color and mixed in a little salt and I swear the god it tasted just like the red gatorade. It's the salt! Everyone who tried it said so too.

I'm assuming you're talking about BCAAs? I've never taken them but some people who do intermittent fasting like to take them before working out. I don't personally take preworkouts but coffee is all I'd ever need.

IMO intra-workouts are a waste of money unless you're a hardcore powerlifter or something
Guess I'll just stick to my good ole water jug. Thanks for the info :)

one time I was fucking around at work and I made a lemonade, but I also squeezed some blood orange in there for color and mixed in a little salt and I swear the god it tasted just like the red gatorade. It's the salt! Everyone who tried it said so too.

Oh damn, I kinda want to try this once just to see lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom