• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudder

Alright good - I was under the assumption people could get banned for the simplest shit. I'll do my homework. Thanks Blackflag :)

There are a few that have come under fire for having banned substances in them. OG Jack3d had the 1-3 (though I believe they have a NEW formula now) and Craze was recently under fire for having Amphetamines in it.

Getting the itch to try Craze. I'm not big on preworkout shit but...it sure looks appealing.

Craze is good, tastes like shit though. I get serious cotton mouth whenever I take a pre workout, and depending on how much I take, I look like I just stepped out of the shower with all of the sweat I produce.

edit: oh, I also put up 100lb DBs on flat bench for 3 reps by myself yesterday (5 with help). So stoked about that.

You should squat against a block of wood, trying not to push it over. Do that as a warmup and see how it goes. Also shoving your knees out to the side walls is a good way of preventing them from getting stressed out during the squat.

You've got good form otherwise. Do you need the knee wraps?

Detox

While we are on the topic of warmups I'd like to know are they essential for SS? Some days I need them but others I'm ready to go after a couple of minutes stretching and no weights on the bar maybe 50kg on it for 5 reps but nothing as much as detailed in the book.

Petrie

Banned
While we are on the topic of warmups I'd like to know are they essential for SS? Some days I need them but others I'm ready to go after a couple of minutes stretching and no weights on the bar maybe 50kg on it for 5 reps but nothing as much as detailed in the book.

Skipping warmups is a recipe for disaster in the long run. Just do them.

I do several sets based on an SS warmup calculator. And it's just my right knee that hurts, but it's incredibly uncomfortable. It hurts right now.

You should do even more then and see how they go. Add the TUBOW (terribly useful block of wood) drill and see if it still hurts. Try to get a video from 45° from the front like in my video at exactly minute 1:00 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkMhFS_lVfs)

Absolutely yes. I think Rippetoe says that if you don't have time to warm up you don't have time to work out

WorldStar

Banned

Dynamic stretching is very beneficial when done prior to lifting weights.

Static stretching after you finish your workout. Doing static stretching prior to lifting weights as opposed to dynamic stretching can actually be detrimental.

As for warmup sets, do them.

sphinx

the piano man
Squats have been giving me incredible knee pain lately, and I'm not sure why. Also, I can't (can't!) keep my knees from moving in slightly on my way up. The two problems may be related, but the latter never actually gives me any pain--it's just troubling.

Here's a bad video I took of myself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyFppMIkLHs&feature=em-upload_owner#action=share

Thoughts?

no t sure whether it's a bad thing... but why are you shaking so much when going back to start position? and is that explosive entrance really necessary?

yes sir

IIRC its actually one of the best ways to consume oats, because the blender tears them to shreds which allows you to more easily get to all the goodness in them

the reason oats are cut/rolled to begin with is because the hard outer husk makes them hard to digest. so IMO the more you break them down, the better.

that and blending them in a shake allows you to consume a huge amount of oats in a very easy, convenient manner.

how much did you put in? I want to try this tonight.

Protein, milk, oats, whatever else I want.

WorldStar

Banned
how much did you put in? I want to try this tonight.

Protein, milk, oats, whatever else I want.

going off of memory, but I think I did:

1 scoop of whey
1 cup of oats
2 cups of milk
2 tablespoons of peanut butter

optional:
1 banana
ice
creatine

I think you said you have steel cut oats...those might need to be cooked first. I'm not sure, you might want to google it.

if you get some rolled oats like Quaker and have a coffee grinder laying around, it's not a bad idea to grind them finely in the coffee grinder before adding it to the shake. if you have no grinder, it's no big deal just grind them in the blender. they just wont be as finely ground up.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I went to the gym again today and tried to apply some of the advice I received from A More Normal Bird on my squat form (primarily the imagining that you're sitting back onto a toilet seat part). The gym was crowded, and out of a desire to not record anyone nearby, I couldn't get a video until my final work set (just 120 lbs.), and even then it's not a very good angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtKYMJaV4Yk

I think I'm finally starting to understand what I need to do with the low bar form. It felt like I was using my hamstrings than before in the exercise and my back wasn't nearly as sore as it usually is after a squat session (this may be a coincidence, though).

Anyway, if A More Normal Bird or anyone else would be kind enough to take a look and offer some advice, I'd really appreciate it!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There are a few that have come under fire for having banned substances in them. OG Jack3d had the 1-3 (though I believe they have a NEW formula now) and Craze was recently under fire for having Amphetamines in it.

Craze is good, tastes like shit though. I get serious cotton mouth whenever I take a pre workout, and depending on how much I take, I look like I just stepped out of the shower with all of the sweat I produce.

edit: oh, I also put up 100lb DBs on flat bench for 3 reps by myself yesterday (5 with help). So stoked about that.

Thanks for the additional info :)

Bread

Banned
how often are you guys increasing weight in your bench press? im only 2 months in to going to the gym if that gives you any info.

im pretty scrawny, still low 100s in bench.

agrajag

Banned
how often are you guys increasing weight in your bench press? im only 2 months in to going to the gym if that gives you any info.

My increases are a lot slower than most other people's. Took me forever to get to 135 and almost as long to 145 for sets of 5. Keeping in mind that ve been progressing on maintenance calories (I'm going to start bulking in September), so I don't feel too bad about it. I am 5'7", 164 lbs. for reference.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
So I tried Quest's new white chocolate raspberry flavor. Not before throwing it in the microwave for ten seconds.

So

Good.

Easily one of the best flavors, and nuking it made it turn out just like a delicious dessert. Wanted another one immediately after.

when you do a full round of bench press, how do you sort it out? reps, sets, weight?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Oh, btw, I have pretty much settled on what I believe is the best chocolate sludge ice cream bar recipe. It comes out consistently great each time I make it. Please GAF, I urge you to give it a try and let me know your thoughts.

Mix in bowl or container:

1 scoop chocolate protein powder
1/4 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp Pb2 powdered peanut butter
1 packet Stevia/Splenda
Sprinkle some ground cinnamon
Add a teeny bit of milk or milk substitute for easier mixing

Basically just mash all the ingredients together until you have a nick creamy consistency, throw your bowl or container in the freezer, and wait anywhere from 30 minutes to 6 hours depending on what kind of treat you want (cold pudding or frozen bar). I waited several hours today and the thing came out like a brick. I nuked it in the microwave for about 15 seconds to soften it up and basically ate it like a chocolate ice cream bar.

Calories: 189
Fat: 3.3g
Carbs: 10.5g
Protein: 34g

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight was one of those bad nights. Every set was a chore, I felt off, looked in the mirror and felt shitty, felt desperate, felt like I'll never be where I want to be. No weights went up in number tonight, no gains, no nothing. I know this is all cyclical but man, sometimes you just have bad nights. Fucking bummer. Going to rest up and hope Thursday night is a better night. Just bummed out. Ugh.

Tonight was one of those bad nights. Every set was a chore, I felt off, looked in the mirror and felt shitty, felt desperate, felt like I'll never be where I want to be. No weights went up in number tonight, no gains, no nothing. I know this is all cyclical but man, sometimes you just have bad nights. Fucking bummer. Going to rest up and hope Thursday night is a better night. Just bummed out. Ugh.

when's the last time you took a break bruh

blackflag

Yeah there's been all sorts of claims about Craze because it works so good. They recently had a bunch of tests done by independent labs from random containers at several retailers and they were all clean.

blackflag

Oh, btw, I have pretty much settled on what I believe is the best chocolate sludge ice cream bar recipe. It comes out consistently great each time I make it. Please GAF, I urge you to give it a try and let me know your thoughts.

Mix in bowl or container:

1 scoop chocolate protein powder
1/4 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp Pb2 powdered peanut butter
1 packet Stevia/Splenda
Sprinkle some ground cinnamon
Add a teeny bit of milk or milk substitute for easier mixing

Basically just mash all the ingredients together until you have a nick creamy consistency, throw your bowl or container in the freezer, and wait anywhere from 30 minutes to 6 hours depending on what kind of treat you want (cold pudding or frozen bar). I waited several hours today and the thing came out like a brick. I nuked it in the microwave for about 15 seconds to soften it up and basically ate it like a chocolate ice cream bar.

Calories: 189
Fat: 3.3g
Carbs: 10.5g
Protein: 34g

That sounds good, I always do it with Greek yogurt. Never tried with cottage cheese.

going off of memory, but I think I did:

1 scoop of whey
1 cup of oats
2 cups of milk
2 tablespoons of peanut butter

optional:
1 banana
ice
creatine

I think you said you have steel cut oats...those might need to be cooked first. I'm not sure, you might want to google it.

if you get some rolled oats like Quaker and have a coffee grinder laying around, it's not a bad idea to grind them finely in the coffee grinder before adding it to the shake. if you have no grinder, it's no big deal just grind them in the blender. they just wont be as finely ground up.

yeah I have some rolled oats, just wanted to try steel cut oats.

In any case, I made this. Fantastic. Threw some PB2, whey, oats, peanut butter, and milk all in a blender. Love it.

Gimmie all the calories.

Gruco

Banned
well fuck me for the last 2 weeks i've been getting this sharp pain in my outer knee when I run, and I did some research and found out it is ITBS (IT Band Syndrome)

Anyone ever have this and resolved their problem? This suckkss
Had a nasty case several years ago. Buy a foam roller. Use it everywhere, but particularly IT band and quads. Roll every day.

Szu

So I tried Quest's new white chocolate raspberry flavor. Not before throwing it in the microwave for ten seconds.

So

Good.

Easily one of the best flavors, and nuking it made it turn out just like a delicious dessert. Wanted another one immediately after.

There's a new....flavor. o_O

45981-Sweet-Jesus-mother-of-god-Jura-ytNE.gif

Szu

I was experimenting with the lighting in my bedroom. I thought this pic came out pretty decent.

8OLxNTv.jpg

You can see part of my Quest bar stash under my TV.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Warning Oats-Friends:

Do not consume only oats for 5 days. I did, and I could have lifted off of planet earth and gone into orbit when it was time for the bathroom. I had never had so much gas in my life.

So that's where "oats 'n squats" came from. The source of the hip drahve.

Bread

Banned
maybe ease into your gains by increasing weight with each set.

1. 10x100
2. 10x105
3. 10x110

or

1. 10x105
2. 8x110
3. 6x115 (or to fail)
alright i honestly havent tried going for a max bench because i dont have a spotter, ill do the latter plan...i want to get the weight up in the next month

April? It might be time for...a week? I dunno. Fuuuuuck, I dunno.

you read my mind. a week won't kill you

alright i honestly havent tried going for a max bench because i dont have a spotter, ill do the latter plan...i want to get the weight up in the next month

if you increase the weight in small enough amounts, you shouldn't need a spotter. so yeah, give it a shot for like a month and see if the gains work out for you

WorldStar

Banned
how many reps/sets do you guys do for weighted situps?

for my decline weighted situps, I recently reduced the reps dramatically while increasing the weight a lot, think I'm actually getting better results.

curious what ya'll are doing

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I went to the gym again today and tried to apply some of the advice I received from A More Normal Bird on my squat form (primarily the imagining that you're sitting back onto a toilet seat part). The gym was crowded, and out of a desire to not record anyone nearby, I couldn't get a video until my final work set (just 120 lbs.), and even then it's not a very good angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtKYMJaV4Yk

I think I'm finally starting to understand what I need to do with the low bar form. It felt like I was using my hamstrings than before in the exercise and my back wasn't nearly as sore as it usually is after a squat session (this may be a coincidence, though).

Anyway, if A More Normal Bird or anyone else would be kind enough to take a look and offer some advice, I'd really appreciate it!

Quoting myself to get on the new page. Hope this isn't too annoying!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
you read my mind. a week won't kill you

You may be right. I'll entertain the idea, see how Thursday goes. If it goes the same maybe a week is exactly what I need. Get my mind right. Let my body breeeeathe a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom