• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark1

What would be a good muscle building routine to go into? I'm restarting everything from scratch learning from previous mistakes. My dad is setting up a muscle building diet for me.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
What would be a good muscle building routine to go into? I'm restarting everything from scratch learning from previous mistakes. My dad is setting up a muscle building diet for me.

If you've got a degree of strength, something like 5/3/1 for Bodybuilding. If you're not (e.g. squat and bench less than bodyweight, deadlift less than 1.5 or so), a Starting Strength variant.

Mark1

If you've got a degree of strength, something like 5/3/1 for Bodybuilding. If you're not (e.g. squat and bench less than bodyweight, deadlift less than 1.5 or so), a Starting Strength variant.
What do you mean by these numbers? 5/3/1, less than 1.5? I use weights for squats, bench presses and deadlifts.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
What do you mean by these numbers? 5/3/1, less than 1.5? I use weights for squats, bench presses and deadlifts.

5/3/1 is a program. 5/3/1 for Bodybuilding is a variation of it. The 1.5 is a multiplier of bodyweight. For example, if you weigh 80kg but currently squat less than 100kg and deadlift less than 120kg you're better off focussing on improving your strength, though you could throw in some accessory exercises such as calf raises, curls, lying triceps extensions etc... if you're concerned about size.

Size focussed programs like PHAT are much more effective when a base level of strength and mass has been developed.

Mark1

5/3/1 is a program. 5/3/1 for Bodybuilding is a variation of it. The 1.5 is a multiplier of bodyweight. For example, if you weigh 80kg but currently squat less than 100kg and deadlift less than 120kg you're better off focussing on improving your strength, though you could throw in some accessory exercises such as calf raises, curls, lying triceps extensions etc... if you're concerned about size.

Size focussed programs like PHAT are much more effective when a base level of strength and mass has been developed.
I think I'll do a starting strength variant, like the one shown in the OP. How long would I have to wait between sets? I've heard 30 - 60 secs from some places while I've heard 5 minutes for stuff like Starting Strength.

despire

Here's something different. My fiancees grandfathers brother. Pretty jacked up for a man who probably never touched a barbell in his life. I'd guess only farmwork and maybe some calisthenics...because the picture is from the end of the 1930's.

GjHDTFb.jpg

Bigger: http://i.imgur.com/R4rYUWy.jpg

Sadly he died in the Winter War in 1940. Only 22 years old then so he was pretty young in the photo as well.

Anyway thought to post this photo here since it's interesting.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm looking to lose some weight with a combination of cardio and weight lifting. Definitely willing to put in the work to drop about 50lbs. Are there any supplements that will help speed up the weight loss process? I'm not looking for a miracle pill, just something to make the process more effecient. Also, has anyone tried the slow carb diet? I've done Atkins a few times and while the results are great it's just not something I can commit to for long periods of time. The slow carb diet sounds similar but also reduces dairy intake and allows 1 cheat day a week. I feel like I would have a much better chance of committing to that.

This is the weight lifting program I'm going to do starting Monday: tracker.dailyburn.com/workout_programs/72319

In addition to that I will do a half hour of cardio every day and an hour on Friday and Saturday. I will use Sunday as my rest/cheat day.

I have lost some 55lbs this year, no miracle pill I am afraid, but good news is that it shouldn't take much more than half a year to do. I have tried everything from low GI / slow carbs to keto, but what I find best is 5/2 fasting, 1800kcal/day and avoiding breads, pasta, beer etc. - super simple. Adding in a couple of fasted cardio sessions a week and a good lifting program is essential.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'll do a starting strength variant, like the one shown in the OP. How long would I have to wait between sets? I've heard 30 - 60 secs from some places while I've heard 5 minutes for stuff like Starting Strength.

The general rule with a strength program is to take as long as you need. In the initial stages you may only need a minute or two but towards the end of a program like starting strength (or if you've graduated to an intermediate strength program like Texas Method or 5/3/1) rests of 5 or even 10 minutes aren't uncommon. A lot of magazines and such may say that certain tempos and rest times are essential for maximising size, but such philosophies are best saved for accessory movements like curls (if at all).

Cooter you're reaching max lv. 200 in this real life RPG. The experience gauge till next lv. means you'll have to slay alot of dragons.

Now you can reap the fruits of envy.

But like Abuc mentioned, try going for lower bodyfat %.

Mark1

How long would I do the Starting Strength variant routine shown in the OP for? I might set up an appointment with a trainer at my University gym to make a specific muscle-building programme for myself.

Petrie

Banned
I realize that this may come off as lame and not even worth posting. Kind of like the guy who complains about his penis being too large but bear with me or at least allow me to ramble.

The gym is boring to me right now, Ever since I hit the 45lb muscle up my motivation has been terrible. My diet is dialed in so precisely that even maintaining abs seems to be pretty easy. I have no desire to gain mass but I would like to get stronger and increase my lifts. The problem is staying between 180-185 and expecting to have my lifts continually go up is borderline delusional. I'm having a hard time seeing how I get my OHP above 195x4 at this weight and my bench feels pretty much tapped out at 315x4 or 5 on a good day. My squat is damn hard at 385x5 and pushing it higher is almost unimaginable.

In short, I'm happy the way my body looks right now. I'm basically where I've always wanted to be when I started lifting and the thought of being in permanent maintenance from here on out is slightly sad to me. I want to keep pushing and setting goals but I'm not sure that is possible without accepting the fact that I would have to put on mass.

Anyway....Thanks for listening.

Cooter, you are an inspiration to me, and have essentially gotten to my current long-term goalpost. I don't think what you are saying is lame, it can be tough to spin your wheels at something when you don't feel there's room to grow, and you've been at this for a lifetime.

My only real advise would be perhaps alter your training a bit and enjoy the fruits of your labor. I know you train hard 5 days a week, perhaps more strength gains could still be made if you weren't squatting multiple times a week and that sort of thing? I know you've been doing it long enough to know your body, but with that experience can come a degree of complacency, and maybe just try to break yourself from that and see what happens.

Just my 2 cents. I hope you find that motivation again, as you're one of a few posters I'd truly be upset if we lost, as along the way you've been a true motivator.

Shit...I'm starting to notice that this body has a great potential. I'm going to stick through it for a year, giving it all 110%, I can definitely see me reaching my goal. Thanks dad for your genetics! Only good thing that came out of you

Zyzz here I come!

entremet

I realize that this may come off as lame and not even worth posting. Kind of like the guy who complains about his penis being too large but bear with me or at least allow me to ramble.

The gym is boring to me right now, Ever since I hit the 45lb muscle up my motivation has been terrible. My diet is dialed in so precisely that even maintaining abs seems to be pretty easy. I have no desire to gain mass but I would like to get stronger and increase my lifts. The problem is staying between 180-185 and expecting to have my lifts continually go up is borderline delusional. I'm having a hard time seeing how I get my OHP above 195x4 at this weight and my bench feels pretty much tapped out at 315x4 or 5 on a good day. My squat is damn hard at 385x5 and pushing it higher is almost unimaginable.

In short, I'm happy the way my body looks right now. I'm basically where I've always wanted to be when I started lifting and the thought of being in permanent maintenance from here on out is slightly sad to me. I want to keep pushing and setting goals but I'm not sure that is possible without accepting the fact that I would have to put on mass.

Train powerlifting style and go for 500 pound bench, 600 squat, and 700 deadlift

Easy_Money

Neo Member
How long would I do the Starting Strength variant routine shown in the OP for? I might set up an appointment with a trainer at my University gym to make a specific muscle-building programme for myself.
Oh lawd no. Do SS until you reach (for example) your bodyweight on the bench, 1.5xBW on the squat and 2xBW on the deadlift.

After that, go with whatever feels best, be it a brosplit, 5/3/1, PHAT, P/P/L, Upper/Lower etc.

Congratulations!
Imho, it sounds like you should try to do something radically different, as you've hit the point of drastically diminishing returns by the sound of it. Sure, you could probably reduce your BF% even further, and squeeze out even more LBS, but would you enjoy it?
IF you think you would, then by all means go ahead with it, if not, it might be worthwhile to take up a physical activity where you're relatively fresh - and where you can progress just as much as you've progressed in your lifting-adventure.

You'll get it bro. I remember when I was psyched to hit 275. Now I got 345.

Haven't tried in a couple weeks might have dropped a bit since I'm cutting but I can still get 315 x 4

Get a spotter and go for it, or set up a bench in the power cage. I'd put money on it that you can do it.

<3

We will see when I try officially test my 1RM next week!

@Cooter, Have you thought about trying more of bodyweight type of training? I'm talking Ninja Warrior style.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Thank you guys. I appreciate having all of you and this place for a sounding board. Especially kind words from you Petrie. It meant a lot so thank you.

Regarding bulking up to 205 at 10%, it really doesn't sound all too appealing to me. I've been 210 before and while I was nowhere near 10%, I didn't enjoy being that large or the space I took up. Hard to explain. At 5'10 I begin to look "bulky" at a certain weight IMO and I don't like it. Rightly or wrongly that's how I see myself and I have to be comfortable in my own skin.

I think I am going to look into cleans. They look fun and like an exercise I can really excel in. Either way I'm not going anywhere. Without this place my motivation would really be tested. Although some are aware how inspiring and motivating having this thread can be for the monthly grind of training, others need to realize what a valuable resource this place is.

Off to the gym!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Much easier to stay motivated if you're doing a sport or martial art, where your athletic performance will translate into competitive performance and where you'll have a huge new set of goals to conquer that aren't about getting bigger muscles.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai, Judo, amateur sports leagues, etc.

Petrie

Banned
Thank you guys. I appreciate having all of you and this place for a sounding board. Especially kind words from you Petrie. It meant a lot so thank you.

I'm quoting this and saving it for the next time I get accused of being a robot in here by some fresh face I offend by telling them shit like it is.

Happy to have you around my friend. Still waiting for a care package of red bull zero and Quest bars though. :)

Much easier to stay motivated if you're doing a sport or martial art, where your athletic performance will translate into competitive performance and where you'll have a huge new set of goals to conquer that aren't about getting bigger muscles.

For all the hate Crossfit gets, the Crossfit games going on now are an excellent example of this. Funny how those guys don't train using the program though.

entremet

Yeah. That's why stuff like powerlifting meets are great. They give a goal to base your training off. Which would be in line with the interests of many people here.

Not a fan of "natural" bodybuilding. Getting your bf% to those levels wrecks havok on your hormones, mood, and sex drive. That's if you don't use drugs. Plus, I never found posing in a speedo appealing.

I have interest in MMA/Boxing, but hard to find the time.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I forgot to tell you guys. The guy who said he can get quest bars at cost told me they were $22.45! Whoopdydo!

Definitely agree with this. Since I added road cycling to my exercise routine I've found my motivation to hit the gym is even stronger and in particular, my efforts to add muscle to my legs. Whereas before I kinda half-assed my leg days, now it's the focal point of my exercise routine and I actually look forward to those days because I know an increase in the weight room translates to increased power and speed on the road bike.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hello everyone, I'm new here at fitness-GAF, please be gentle. I'll start with my specs per the OP template, and then my individual circumstances. A lot of the OP went over my head as I've never seriously done a serious workout so I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 230 lbs.
Goal: 180 lbs.
Current Training Schedule: none, just starting
Current Training Equipment Available: Gym with most standard weight equipment, treadmills, ellipticals, electronic bikes etc.
Comments: I can no longer drink coffee and must stick to a gluten free diet.

So here's the story. After plateauing at 215 lbs. while trying to lose weight, I ran into an unexpected problem that has taken me upwards of 6 months to systematically deduce and get under control. Around December of last year I started having extreme pain in my penis and after much trial and error with the doctors we've come to two simultaneous diagnosis' that have finally allowed me to bring this under control.

Interstitial Cystitis
Gluten Intolerance

Because of this I've finally gotten my pain under control (though with the occasional random flare up), so I'm now finally ready to take my diet seriously again. There's just one problem. I can no longer drink caffeine (i.e. no coffee). This was the first aspect of my condition that was discovered, so I've been off of caffeine for the last 6 months. The problem is that I started eating more in the morning while at work to make up for the lack of energy, and have slowly put on 15 lbs., so I'm swinging back in the wrong direction.

I also have a particular workout problem in that I don't have the world's best knees (thanks Dad), so exercises that involve strenuous knee bending are something I'd like to avoid.

I need developing a strategy based on my one real goal: to lose weight. I don't mind building muscle too, but that is a far secondary goal compared to the first of losing the fat (esp. the belly fat) and getting back in shape so I can not be super exhausted with just a little exercise. Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Also, good news. I made up all the weight I lost last week from being sick plus 1 lb. :pimp

The program comes with guidelines for how to know you're done. In short, when you can no longer keep up the pace of progression that it specifies.
Here's a page from the SS wiki.

This page has a section labelled "How long should I stay on the program" but I'd recommend reading the whole thing.

edit: blah double post sorry. Should've used multi-quote. wasn't thinking.

entremet

Hello everyone, I'm new here at fitness-GAF, please be gentle. I'll start with my specs per the OP template, and then my individual circumstances. A lot of the OP went over my head as I've never seriously done a serious workout so I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

Current Training Equipment Available: Gym with most standard weight equipment, treadmills, ellipticals, electronic bikes etc.

So here's the story. After plateauing at 215 lbs. while trying to lose weight, I ran into an unexpected problem that has taken me upwards of 6 months to systematically deduce and get under control. Around December of last year I started having extreme pain in my penis and after much trial and error with the doctors we've come to two simultaneous diagnosis' that have finally allowed me to bring this under control.

Interstitial Cystitis
Gluten Intolerance

Because of this I've finally gotten my pain under control (though with the occasional random flare up), so I'm now finally ready to take my diet seriously again. There's just one problem. I can no longer drink caffeine (i.e. no coffee). This was the first aspect of my condition that was discovered, so I've been off of caffeine for the last 6 months. The problem is that I started eating more in the morning while at work to make up for the lack of energy, and have slowly put on 15 lbs., so I'm swinging back in the wrong direction.

I also have a particular workout problem in that I don't have the world's best knees (thanks Dad), so exercises that involve strenuous knee bending are something I'd like to avoid.

I need developing a strategy based on my one real goal: to lose weight. I don't mind building muscle too, but that is a far secondary goal compared to the first of losing the fat (esp. the belly fat) and getting back in shape so I can not be super exhausted with just a little exercise. Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated.

Try box squats if your knees are an issue.

Interstitial Cystitis
Gluten Intolerance

Weight control is diet more than anything. Do your best to find an alternative energy source to snacking. If that fails, turn to cardio of some kind. Swimming or biking would put you through way less knee stress than running.

I have no idea what kind of knee pain you have so who knows what motions you can safely do. It would be in your best interest to find some form of strength training that doesn't cause it harm. Stronger leg muscles stabilizes the knee and reduces pain. That box squat suggestion sounds like it could be pretty good. Don't have to use weights. Variable heights of boxes let you explore squatting to different depths to see how things feel. If you eventually manage the strength and flexibility to do an unweighted squat through the whole range of motion it may make your legs feel better.

Mark1

The program comes with guidelines for how to know you're done. In short, when you can no longer keep up the pace of progression that it specifies.
Here's a page from the SS wiki.

This page has a section labelled "How long should I stay on the program" but I'd recommend reading the whole thing.

edit: blah double post sorry. Should've used multi-quote. wasn't thinking.
I'm reading the section on Sets to Failure, I'm confused, does the 5th rep, for example, have to be the one done to failure for an increase in size and strength. I've always been told the last rep in a set has to be done to failure. My trainer said for my first program that I had to choose a weight where I had to struggle on the last rep.

andycapps

Regarding bulking up to 205 at 10%, it really doesn't sound all too appealing to me. I've been 210 before and while I was nowhere near 10%, I didn't enjoy being that large or the space I took up. Hard to explain. At 5'10 I begin to look "bulky" at a certain weight IMO and I don't like it. Rightly or wrongly that's how I see myself and I have to be comfortable in my own skin.

I think I am going to look into cleans. They look fun and like an exercise I can really excel in. Either way I'm not going anywhere. Without this place my motivation would really be tested. Although some are aware how inspiring and motivating having this thread can be for the monthly grind of training, others need to realize what a valuable resource this place is.

Off to the gym!

Lucky bastard. But I can see how that would be hard to keep the motivation to stay hungry after you've basically accomplished your goals. I don't have any tips other than to say maybe you could go the natural bodybuilding route and go for aesthetics?

Don't take that the wrong way, your aesthetics are where I'd like to be. But maybe focus almost completely on looks and muscle tone.

I'm reading the section on Sets to Failure, I'm confused, does the 5th rep, for example, have to be the one done to failure for an increase in size and strength. I've always been told the last rep in a set has to be done to failure. My trainer said for my first program that I had to choose a weight where I had to struggle on the last rep.

Nope. What causes progress is adding more weight to the bar. Every single workout you attempt to up the weight a tiny amount. You deliberately start at a weight that is slightly too light for you and go in small, steady steps of weight, always doing 3x5. It will be easy for a couple workouts and get more difficult very quickly.

We do this because, as relative beginners, we have enough room for improvement that we can actually keep up this pace for a good length of time. A linear progression scheme is the fastest way to get stronger.

It gets recommended even if body building is your long term goal instead of strength training because bodybuilding routines can be way more effective when you have some strength to use: if you show up to the gym so weak you can only row 40 pounds and start trying to build a big back, you won't get very far.

Programs for more advanced people do often feature an "as many as you can" set, like that 5 3 1 program someone mentioned before. Beginners programs don't include it because you don't need it. Consistently lifting and eating is all you you need to put on strength; take advantage of a simpler program for as long as you can still progress on it.

It may not do much harm to try the "burnout set" thing, IDK. the real problem is that if you follow the program's rules for adding weight, you will be so close to the limit of your capabilities every workout that just getting through the required reps is a max effort. The program's author and most experienced lifters say "don't fuck with the program" with the possible exception of an ab exercise as a permissible addition (and bicep curls because realistically they aren't gonna interfere too hard with the main lifts).

Trainers frequently make suggestions based on what they think will motivate people, or to give people what they expect to hear.

sorry that this post got so longwinded.

EDIT: to summarize: the reason that every young dude who goes to the gym and messes around with weights isn't already strong as fuck is because most conventional lifting wisdom is not actually helpful to beginners.

RurouniZel

I'm sorry for my delayed response, I went to the gym to do the elliptical and did better than I expected to.

Try box squats if your knees are an issue.

I'll look up how to do this and see how I feel after trying it out. :)

Weight control is diet more than anything. Do your best to find an alternative energy source to snacking. If that fails, turn to cardio of some kind. Swimming or biking would put you through way less knee stress than running.

I have no idea what kind of knee pain you have so who knows what motions you can safely do. It would be in your best interest to find some form of strength training that doesn't cause it harm. Stronger leg muscles stabilizes the knee and reduces pain. That box squat suggestion sounds like it could be pretty good. Don't have to use weights. Variable heights of boxes let you explore squatting to different depths to see how things feel. If you eventually manage the strength and flexibility to do an unweighted squat through the whole range of motion it may make your legs feel better.

I'll look at trying to increase my energy w/o snacks. Any good suggestions that don't involve caffeine?

I haven't gone swimming in a while and my gym does not have a pool. Are electric bikes as good as the real thing for working out?

I'm sorry for my delayed response, I went to the gym to do the elliptical and did better than I expected to.

I'll look up how to do this and see how I feel after trying it out. :)

I'll look at trying to increase my energy w/o snacks. Any good suggestions that don't involve caffeine?

I haven't gone swimming in a while and my gym does not have a pool. Are electric bikes as good as the real thing for working out?

Yeah a stationary exercise machine should be fine for cardio. Elliptical or rowing machines are cool too.

Ummm no I don't really have any suggestions for energy beyond "eat as healthy as you can and get enough sleep." I personally have a terrible caffeine problem. College work and mediocre study habits leave me so frequently exhausted that I just always assume poor sleep is the reason I'm tired. IDK what I'd do if I slept well and were still tired but couldn't have coffee. Sorry.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Tried a QuestBar for the first time (chocolate brownie flavor) and goddamn, I can see why you guys are so crazy about them. They really seem a bit too good to be true.

Cooter, how long did it take you to get to where you are (with the starting point being when you really got serious).

RurouniZel

Yeah a stationary exercise machine should be fine for cardio. Elliptical or rowing machines are cool too.

Ummm no I don't really have any suggestions for energy beyond "eat as healthy as you can and get enough sleep." I personally have a terrible caffeine problem. College work and mediocre study habits leave me so frequently exhausted that I just always assume poor sleep is the reason I'm tired. IDK what I'd do if I slept well and were still tired but couldn't have coffee. Sorry.

That's okay. It'll be on me to find an effective solution I guess. Maybe losing weight will give me more energy.

Welcome to the super-secret "fellowship of the barbell" treehouse RurouniZel!

Thank you! I hope that joining this community will help in keeping me motivated to at least reach my goal, maybe more if I'm up to it. :)

Teggy

How often do you guys take breaks from the gym? I'm going on vacation for 12 days and I'm trying to decide if I should go to the gym while I am away. I've been going to the gym 3 times a week for about 2.5 months. Too soon to take a break?

I don't mind going to the gym, just wondering if it's not a bad idea to take a longer rest every once in a while. I'll also be doing a lot of biking and probably some walking/hiking while on vacation (but eating more than I normally would at home).

In my experience and that of my friends, novices begin stalling on bench when they start nearing 80%-90% of their own bodyweight, but that's my experience, there is no rule to that.
Very true. I'm at 200 lbs. and stalled hard at 180x5. I'm talking weeks. So I ate like a savage the last two weeks and was able to hit 185x8 twice on Thursday. It felt good. Damn good.

Edit: what are some good fitness watches? Anyone use one? Both for runners and for lifters, if possible. Open to all suggestions though.

Visceir

I'm always slacking off with my core workouts and ab exercises, obviously most compound movements train it anyway but I'd like to do something extra. Figured I'd just start doing planks every day.

What's the recommended minimum time/sets for doing planks to actually have good results?

I did 3x90 seconds today.

Petrie

Banned
I'm always slacking off with my core workouts and ab exercises, obviously most compound movements train it anyway but I'd like to do something extra. Figured I'd just start doing planks every day.

What's the recommended minimum time/sets for doing planks to actually have good results?

I did 3x90 seconds today.

A million.

It's just accessory work, there's not really "good results" to be had.

Thanks for the heads up on protein deals! I don't check SD often so this is always welcome. Think I finally found the vanilla protein for cooking.

Glad someone is taking advantage. As an obsessive SD and CAG user I try to bring the deals as quick as I see them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom