• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
Come on fit gaf help me out here

The only problem with my new gym is the bench press, it doesn't have those "safety" bench press and it makes me scared....since Ive only done it on safety ones so far. Any thoughts on this?

Since I started bench press 3 weeks ago, my max is 60 KG right now. How fast should I up the weight?

Ask a trainer in your gym to help you with those reps while benching, it's the only way to be safe.

about the weight, you should try to add weight every session.

In my experience and that of my friends, novices begin stalling on bench when they start nearing 80%-90% of their own bodyweight, but that's my experience, there is no rule to that.

FUUUUUU-----

I failed my 62,5 kg bench on the very last rep, in the very last set. It's fucking killing me. SO GODDAMN CLOSE. I'm about to go tourettes in this bitch.

And next week I'm going on vacation with the old folks. Have to re-try breaching 62,5 kg in about a week.

Good news is that I upped my squat PR to 97,5 kg/215 lbs.

Come on fit gaf help me out here

The only problem with my new gym is the bench press, it doesn't have those "safety" bench press and it makes me scared....since Ive only done it on safety ones so far. Any thoughts on this?

Since I started bench press 3 weeks ago, my max is 60 KG right now. How fast should I up the weight?

At 60kg, you don't even need to worry about not managing to lift the bar.
Worst case scenariou, you gotta roll it off your chest (down, not up towards your face), the weight won't hurt you.

Had really hard time training my abs today since my right leg is problematic.

Is there any way to train lower abs without using your legs?

Not really, though I guess you could always do planks?
Google them.
Increase it by 2.5kg every week if possible, stick to the weight if you're struggling to hit the required number of sets&reps, and if you fail three weeks in a row, lower the weight (again by 2.5kg).

sphinx

the piano man
At 60kg, you don't even need to worry about not managing to lift the bar.
Worst case scenariou, you gotta roll it off your chest (down, not up towards your face), the weight won't hurt you.

you can't say that without knowing how much he weights.

if he weights anything under 70 kgs, then 60 kgs is a signifcant weight to bench and he should be careful.

Kawl_USC

Blah shitty day at the gym. Didn't get what I wanted on squats or bench and then didn't even try dead lifts.

My body has just been wrecked for the past week and a half and that's coming off a deload week. I've failed across the board on all my lifts the past week and my body just hurts.

Think my body is telling me that it's time to switch to another program. SS is just too intense now with all those reps at these weights. Probably start 5/3/1 when I get back home and take next week as a light recovery week for my last week out in Texas.

My weight is 78,5 kg, should I worry?

Just ask someone in the gym to spot you-- tell them you're expecting X reps and any decent spotter will only help you out if the bar is going in the opposite direction it should be.

I used to have anxiety about asking people to spot, but really they don't mind unless you ask right before/during one of their sets.

Some trainers in my gym a rude as shit. They take a client over to the squat rack for 45 minutes straight. Talking away. Their entire workout session involved them using the fucking rack. I just wanted to do 1 exercise with 3 sets. Done in 5 minutes....doesn't even offer to work in. There are only 3 racks in my gym and they are always in use. Sucks that you have to fight tooth and nail for it

Funny that these trainers look as bad as their clients that they train.

SeanR1221

Slowly overcoming my greatest weakness: Bench. 175 3+ day and I got 9. Back in the fall I was luckily to get 4 reps at this weight. Slow but steady progress.

ACE 1991

So i'm about 5lb into my cut (looking to lose 10 in total) and my ribs are already starting to poke through... My genetics blow super hard, I have trouble putting on any kind of noticeable muscle and when I bulk I end up getting fatter around my mid section almost instantly, rather than more muscular. Here is where I'm at, 169 vs. 164:

169: http://imgur.com/a/Vemlo

164: http://imgur.com/sRu50cn&Ak9vQQp#0

What should I do, GAF? It's pretty frustrating how I've sort of changed my whole lifestyle in terms of eating habits and regular exercising, but I wish I had more to show for it. I feel like even if I bulk using correct macronutrients and logging all my caloric intake I'll still end up fatter and only slightly more muscular after so many months.

god NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, what a nightmare video.

I actually thought some 6'5 tall powerlifter would arrive and take the challenge but it was that scrawny guy, fuck, did he suvive?? that could kill have him! :O

I had 25 munchkins before and felt like I was gonna die.This dudes stomach must be made of granite

Nelo Ice

Banned
Ask a trainer in your gym to help you with those reps while benching, it's the only way to be safe.

In my experience and that of my friends, novices begin stalling on bench when they start nearing 80%-90% of their own bodyweight, but that's my experience, there is no rule to that.

Yep I know that feel. I weight 138 lbs atm and my bench stalled big time as soon as I got to the 115-125 range.

sphinx

the piano man
Yep I know that feel. I weight 138 lbs atm and my bench stalled big time as soon as I got to the 115-125 range.

yeah, I've seen it everywhere in guys lifting less than a year or novices/beginners

I weight 150 pounds and 132, 137 and 143 are some motherfucking hard weights to bench, for me, at least.

last time was 137. 5x3 with a spotter but we both conluded I have to get better at that weight, it's not good enough to up the weight, I did some half reps and stuff and I already had a minor accident with 143, it's fucking hard and without a spotter, no way I am trying that again.

Detox

I'll be seeing my doctor for my problem but in the meantime you guys may be able to offer some advice or exercises. My knees sometimes 'lock' (I use this term loosely) while I'm sitting and when I click them straight I get an immense pain in my knee that will last for 5-20 mins where I just have to keep my leg straight. It's now impacting my squats and any other exercise where I have to go low with heavy weights. I get to a certain point while bending where my knees click and I just drop into a sitting position. I can't get back above that click point with anything other than my bodyweight.

Cudder

So I was able to do a set of 15 bodyweight dips today. Time to buy a belt and start doing weighted dips?

Perhaps. Or you can just drop a few reps in each successive set and still feel it, chances are doing 12 reps on set 2 would be a challenge, then 10 on set 3 etc. Or just do weighted dips lol

agrajag

Banned
Perhaps. Or you can just drop a few reps in each successive set and still feel it, chances are doing 12 reps on set 2 would be a challenge, then 10 on set 3 etc. Or just do weighted dips lol

This was my deload week, I only did one set. I'm sure doing 12 or even 10 reps on the next set would be a challenge. And I just started doing lying triceps extensions.n

Simplet

This is god's honest truth. I weight 90kgs with a bit of flab and I am STUCK at 85kgs. I think I'm actually more afraid of the bar falling on my face than before. I probably need a spotter but I'm a really shy guy...

At this rate it really seems like I might hit 200kgs on deadlift before I cross 100k on the bench. That doesn't seem normal to me...

Get a spotter and go for it, or set up a bench in the power cage. I'd put money on it that you can do it.

Is this a good idea to do? What's a power cage, the place where you do squat or like a smith machine?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
So i'm about 5lb into my cut (looking to lose 10 in total) and my ribs are already starting to poke through... My genetics blow super hard, I have trouble putting on any kind of noticeable muscle and when I bulk I end up getting fatter around my mid section almost instantly, rather than more muscular. Here is where I'm at, 169 vs. 164:

169: http://imgur.com/a/Vemlo

164: http://imgur.com/sRu50cn&Ak9vQQp#0

What should I do, GAF? It's pretty frustrating how I've sort of changed my whole lifestyle in terms of eating habits and regular exercising, but I wish I had more to show for it. I feel like even if I bulk using correct macronutrients and logging all my caloric intake I'll still end up fatter and only slightly more muscular after so many months.

You look fine. I'm not sure where this idea that upper ribs starting to show = obviously no muscle mass came from, but you'd be better off forgetting it. The only real muscle in that area is the serratus anterior, which is flat, broad and get this, somewhat resembles rib bones. It will also not hypertrophy much during the early stages (years) of training, unless you're say, a boxer. If you want to cut, cut. If you want to bulk, bulk. The only things you should worry about are - am I getting stronger? and - am I gaining or losing weight too quickly?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I worked out two days ago and my body is still slightly sore. Not sore enough that it would prevent me from lifting, but is it okay to continue, or should I rest until I'm at 100%?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I worked out two days ago and my body is still slightly sore. Not sore enough that it would prevent me from lifting, but is it okay to continue, or should I rest until I'm at 100%?

Power through! Some of the best advice I received when I just got started a month ago.

Snowdrift

Is overhead press in the squat rack or power cage bad gym etiquette? There really isn't a station in my gym dedicated to it. I'm usually in the gym 4:30-5:30AM, so its not that busy anyways.

Zoe

Is overhead press in the squat rack or power cage bad gym etiquette? There really isn't a station in my gym dedicated to it. I'm usually in the gym 4:30-5:30AM, so its not that busy anyways.

No. Otherwise you would have to clean the bar to get it into the starting position.

Have you been browsing /fit/? If so, the dude repeatedly comparing OHP in the squat rack to curls in the squat rack is either trolling or a psycho. Your options are pretty much limited to clean and press or press from a rack. No sane person will insist that everyone do clean and press.

abuC

Is this a good idea to do? What's a power cage, the place where you do squat or like a smith machine?

m-Legend-power-cage-3121.jpg

When I didn't have a spotter and wanted to go heavy 350+ I'd set up the safety bars as low as possible which was maybe an inch or two above my chest if I arched a bit.

Lucky for me, I go to a gym where nobody cares what you're using the equipment for as long as you're actually using it.

_Isaac

I say go for it. That's what I do. I even asked the same question around here, and most people also approved.

OK here is the scoop:

I can't use my weightlifting belt. Apparently my torso is small enough that it gets in the way both at the top of the squat when it hits my ribs and at the bottom where it gets in the way with my hips. I decided not to use it until I get a new one. Bummer

Squat 320lb 5/5/3. Second Strike. Felt strong, but my hamstrings/glutes felt really weak on the last set. Just the same as with the Deadlift. Hope to do it on Monday.

Press 135 5/5/4. Third Strike. Couldn't hit the last rep again! Time for a Deload, which is fortunate, because I am changing my technique to what Rippetoe recommends now.

Power Clean 155x5x3 Just ok.

So there is that, time to get a narrower weight lifting weight. Any ideas? I've got the 10mm wide, 9cm tall, two buckles belt from Inzer. Anyone interested?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Power through! Some of the best advice I received when I just got started a month ago.

Oh I'm totally willing and able, I'm just asking if it's a good idea, or will it end up being counterproductive working out again so soon?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I realize that this may come off as lame and not even worth posting. Kind of like the guy who complains about his penis being too large but bear with me or at least allow me to ramble.

The gym is boring to me right now, Ever since I hit the 45lb muscle up my motivation has been terrible. My diet is dialed in so precisely that even maintaining abs seems to be pretty easy. I have no desire to gain mass but I would like to get stronger and increase my lifts. The problem is staying between 180-185 and expecting to have my lifts continually go up is borderline delusional. I'm having a hard time seeing how I get my OHP above 195x4 at this weight and my bench feels pretty much tapped out at 315x4 or 5 on a good day. My squat is damn hard at 385x5 and pushing it higher is almost unimaginable.

In short, I'm happy the way my body looks right now. I'm basically where I've always wanted to be when I started lifting and the thought of being in permanent maintenance from here on out is slightly sad to me. I want to keep pushing and setting goals but I'm not sure that is possible without accepting the fact that I would have to put on mass.

Anyway....Thanks for listening.

rando14

I realize that this may come off as lame and not even worth posting. Kind of like the guy who complains about his penis being too large but bear with me or at least allow me to ramble.

The gym is boring to me right now, Ever since I hit the 45lb muscle up my motivation has been terrible. My diet is dialed in so precisely that even maintaining abs seems to be pretty easy. I have no desire to gain mass but I would like to get stronger and increase my lifts. The problem is staying between 180-185 and expecting to have my lifts continually go up is borderline delusional. I'm having a hard time seeing how I get my OHP above 195x4 at this weight and my bench feels pretty much tapped out at 315x4 or 5 on a good day. My squat is damn hard at 385x5 and pushing it higher is almost unimaginable.

In short, I'm happy the way my body looks right now. I'm basically where I've always wanted to be when I started lifting and the thought of being in permanent maintenance from here on out is slightly sad to me. I want to keep pushing and setting goals but I'm not sure that is possible without accepting the fact that I would have to put on mass.

Hah, I know how you feel. I too am about as good as I feel I am going to get without any AAS at this point, and I am kinda feeling plateau'd. I still go to the gym regularly but when gains start becoming more and more rare it definitely hits motivation. :\

Why don't you switch your objectives? Try sprinting? Learning some olys?

sphinx

the piano man
Cooter, you could try new areas of the fitness world, go bicking, go swimming, do gymnastics (rings, vault, pommel horse), whatever ignites you passion.

perhaps you've have labeled yourself too much as a weightlifter. You'd probably do well to boarden your fitness horizons, beyond lifting and the gym.

abuC

Shoot for 205lbs @ 10% body fat.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking to lose some weight with a combination of cardio and weight lifting. Definitely willing to put in the work to drop about 50lbs. Are there any supplements that will help speed up the weight loss process? I'm not looking for a miracle pill, just something to make the process more effecient. Also, has anyone tried the slow carb diet? I've done Atkins a few times and while the results are great it's just not something I can commit to for long periods of time. The slow carb diet sounds similar but also reduces dairy intake and allows 1 cheat day a week. I feel like I would have a much better chance of committing to that.

This is the weight lifting program I'm going to do starting Monday: tracker.dailyburn.com/workout_programs/72319

In addition to that I will do a half hour of cardio every day and an hour on Friday and Saturday. I will use Sunday as my rest/cheat day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom