• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I tried squats for the first time in like a year using my new New Balance flat soled shoes and knee wraps. Had no knee pain or swelling or anything weird, so success so far. I went light though (185) since I haven't done it in so long. We'll see how things hold up when I eventually get to heavier weights.

Oh, and coconut oil is delicious in chocolate protein shakes.

Knee wraps for 185? Why? You sure you don't mean knee sleeves?

Mully

Any reason why my left knee cracks when I'm doing 250+ lb ATG squats? It doesn't hurt, but I've always noticed it makes a cracking noise when I'm squatting that much.

Cagey

Banned
Any reason why my left knee cracks when I'm doing 250+ lb ATG squats? It doesn't hurt, but I've always noticed it makes a cracking noise when I'm squatting that much.

Is it a "popping" sound like some part of your leg bone is moving? If so, I have the same issue.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Knee wraps for 185? Why? You sure you don't mean knee sleeves?

They were cheap, my knees feel more stable, I don't get the normal cracking noises while wearing them that I usually get (even squatting with no weight). I'm looking into knee sleeves though too, won't have money to buy them at the very least until next paycheck.

SeanR1221

They were cheap, my knees feel more stable, I don't get the normal cracking noises while wearing them that I usually get (even squatting with no weight). I'm looking into knee sleeves though too, won't have money to buy them at the very least until next paycheck.

If you don't crank knee wraps they could act like a sleeve I suppose.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Ah, so they aren't like heavy wraps? More like ace bandage? I'm guessing you leave them on? If that's the case, yeah, it's kind of like a sleeve. I'd get a good pair of neoprene sleeves when you can though.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
If you don't crank knee wraps they could act like a sleeve I suppose.

Oh I'm not cranking them so that they squeeze all the blood out of my knee in order to put up more weight. They're tight, but not crazy tight. The heating aspect of a neoprene sleeve sounds like a good idea though.

Ah, so they aren't like heavy wraps? More like ace bandage? I'm guessing you leave them on?

They're a bit thicker than ace bandage but not heavy. Yeah I just leave them on.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040XR5OC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

f0nz0

I tried squats for the first time in like a year using my new New Balance flat soled shoes and knee wraps. Had no knee pain or swelling or anything weird, so success so far. I went light though (185) since I haven't done it in so long. We'll see how things hold up when I eventually get to heavier weights.

Oh, and coconut oil is delicious in chocolate protein shakes.

Adding coconut oil to lightly toasted pbnj sandwiches takes them to another level...sogood

SeanR1221

Oh I'm not cranking them so that they squeeze all the blood out of my knee in order to put up more weight. They're tight, but not crazy tight. The heating aspect of a neoprene sleeve sounds like a good idea though.

They're a bit thicker than ace bandage but not heavy. Yeah I just leave them on.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040XR5OC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yeah I actually got some lighter wraps myself to use as compression but CAN crank when I go into the upper 300s (someday)

I'm reading about Preworkout supplements, and they're all caffeine stimulants. Problem is, I work late and don't usually get to my workout until 9-10pm. I also have a 1.5hour commute that tires the hell outta me. I just want a supplement that gives me energy, focus, assists in giving me that extra boost to keep lifting. I don't want something that will keep me up hours after the workout or give me a massive crash.

Why not just eat a small snack 2 hours before your workout?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
why does noone ever answer my questions in this thread :(
It was only 10 posts ago!
Should you take a protein shake after running? (60min)

After 60 minutes of running or 60 minutes after running? Protein shakes aren't magic, they're just an easy way of getting more protein in your diet. Are you running for weight loss or just general cardio? Are you lifting and/or on a bulk? If you're trying to put on weight and don't want the cardio to cut into your gains then go for it, if you're trying to lose a little fat then don't bother. Running doesn't create much stimulus for muscle growth.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
It was only 10 posts ago!

After 60 minutes of running or 60 minutes after running? Protein shakes aren't magic, they're just an easy way of getting more protein in your diet. Are you running for weight loss or just general cardio? Are you lifting and/or on a bulk? If you're trying to put on weight and don't want the cardio to cut into your gains then go for it, if you're trying to lose a little fat then don't bother. Running doesn't create much stimulus for muscle growth.

Are you saying don't bother (for weight loss) cause he should get protein from whole food sources that will curb appetite more, or because you don't think protein intake is important in weight loss?

I'm reading about Preworkout supplements, and they're all caffeine stimulants. Problem is, I work late and don't usually get to my workout until 9-10pm. I also have a 1.5hour commute that tires the hell outta me. I just want a supplement that gives me energy, focus, assists in giving me that extra boost to keep lifting. I don't want something that will keep me up hours after the workout or give me a massive crash.
Sorry to say but you're out of luck. There's nothing out there that gives you 1-2 hours of energy and focus. All "energy" products have some type of stimulant (typically caffeine) which is probably going to keep you awake if you're taking it that late.

blackflag

Sorry to say but you're out of luck. There's nothing out there that gives you 1-2 hours of energy and focus. All "energy" products have some type of stimulant (typically caffeine) which is probably going to keep you awake if you're taking it that late.

There's a couple that I think work pretty good. Hemavol is great for pump and endurance. Caffeine free Focus XT is good for mental focus.

Tablespoon of coconut oil might also work.

Davidion

Personally, taking caffeine of any kind later in the day used to almost always keep me up at night; it was rather horrible. However, I've been on the habit of sinking a coffee before I workout and even at night, it never affects my sleep. Between a long day and the workout, I've found that the caffeine just can't keep me up like it would do if I didn't exercise.

Try it one night when you can afford the schedule; you might find out that it won't affect you all that much.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Are you saying don't bother (for weight loss) cause he should get protein from whole food sources that will curb appetite more, or because you don't think protein intake is important in weight loss?

I said don't bother because the question was about timing of protein intake after exercise. When the exercise is (assumed to be) 60 mins of LISS cardio it doesn't matter that much. Without knowing nilbog's goals or current diet I can't really say if a protein shake would be a useful tool in reaching macro requirements or not.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)

You could get a BCAA supplement and eat some MCT oil or coconut oil beforehand. Neither of those seem to keep me awake.

Petrie

Banned

Pretty obvious he means the first one. Protein shakes really have no place in a primarily weight loss program. They become more useful if muscle retention is a major part of the end goal.

entremet

Yeah I totally agree, my goals are pretty much aesthetic.

SS is great to built your foundation, but if your want aesthetics you need another program. SS lacks a lot of direct arm work.

The whole point SS is that as a beginner you're entire body is a weak point. After you build your strength base and foundation you start working on the details.

Don't neglect strength. Some of the best bodybuilders, natural or enhanced, are wicked strong.

despire

So I've got a question about ketosis since I still need to lose some weight and I figured ketosis would be as good of a way as any. I've tried getting into ketosis before but I've never managed to get into "deep ketosis". Everytime I've tried and eaten very few carbs for days I still haven't gotten into ketosis properly. I haven't gotten the keto breath and ketostix say I'm in the lowest "stage" of ketosis. Never been able to get any deeper if you will. But apparently my body can get into the lower stages pretty easily since I can go for very long times withouth eating and it's no problem. Yesterday I had about 11h between my breakfast and "lunch" due to various circumstances if you will and I didn't even get really hungry.

So what I'd like to know is what's the fastest and safest way to get into full blown ketosis? I've heard something about a depleting workout?

abuC

Bought two pairs of $1 work gloves that I see all the strong dudes in the gym using, my nike gloves ripped open while doing DB rows.

s0458146_sc7

LOL, I don't expect them to last very long but for a dollar they'll do.

Sec0nd

Sure! I recommend reading the op as well, it's got a lot of good info.

So what are your goals? What equipment do you have? What is your age, height, weight?

Thanks. I don't really have a goal anymore, also another reason why I'm getting bored with working out. I'm already pretty happy with my upper body but I'd like to gain a bit more muscle and tone it a bit (if there even is such a thing). I workout at a decent gym so I've got access to some nice equipment. Age 20, height 178 cm and I'm around 67 kg.

Not much to go on but I just desperately need a new workout routine. :(

Edit: My bad for not reading the OP and using the template lol.

PBY

Banned
Thanks. I don't really have a goal anymore, also another reason why I'm getting bored with working out. I'm already pretty happy with my upper body but I'd like to gain a bit more muscle and tone it a bit (if there even is such a thing). I workout at a decent gym so I've got access to some nice equipment. Age 20, height 178 cm and I'm around 67 kg.

Not much to go on but I just desperately need a new workout routine. :(

Edit: My bad for not reading the OP and using the template lol.

Do SS.

CrankyJay

Banned
Today was one of those classic mornings where I felt like shit, didn't want to work out, was looking for an excuse to bail...but went anyway and then push one of my best/hardest workouts ever.

Now I have the weekend to re-feed and rest.

Szu

Today was one of those classic mornings where I felt like shit, didn't want to work out, was looking for an excuse to bail...but went anyway and then push one of my best/hardest workouts ever.

Now I have the weekend to re-feed and rest.

Allergies are starting to make me feel like shit. I'm wondering how I can get my workout done, but then remind myself that I've done it before and I'll do it again.

I'm a stubborn asshole.

Allergies are starting to make me feel like shit. I'm wondering how I can get my workout done, but then remind myself that I've done it before and I'll do it again.

I'm a stubborn asshole.

Yup. I usually feel good afterwards too.

And I need a haircut. Look good, feel good. Feel good, play good.

Petrie

Banned
my gym's "cafe" carries the Cinnabun Quest bars. grabbed 2 today, girl only charged for 1.

pretty good, though tough. could use 10 secs in the microwave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom