• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, TG does support rowing motions. Actually part of my routine I use. Whatever I do has certainly helped since I haven't had any issues with my back, which is partly because of work I used to do. Just when you're 23 and having off and on back problems that's a little concerning, to say the least.

As for dumbbells, any advice on what weight to go for? I've been able to move on 25lbs with heavy resistance, but enough to keep form.

Yeah I'm 22 and I found the 2 occasions on which I couldn't move kind of frightening. One was after playing bball while very out of shape. The other was after the first day lifting at the end of a couple months' lapse.

I have no idea what to recommend for only buying a limited number of dumbbells. I say buy an adjustable pair that take standard plates so you can tweak it. My exercise has never been dumbbell centric though.

Imm0rt4l

Well shit, if you think that then I really do need to get on there.

It really is coming down to that leap. I say I'm gonna do it every year then wuss out.

I can understand the apprehensiveness. I feel small when I'm sub 190(hard to maintain it anyhows but thats a different story. Contest prep really does seem to be no joke though, cutting down to a minimum of 4% bodyfat would undoubtedly take a toll on anyone doing this naturally from your personal life, energy and test levels etc. I don't think I'll ever do it, but I admire those who do. I'm subscribed to John Otis Hollywoods feed on facebook, and seeing where he gets his clients to is pretty amazing. Same goes with some of the guys at 3DMJ like Chris Lavado(who lost a lot of size to get shredded) and Robbie Sardinia

I admire the work, I'll never have shredded glutes though.

That's impressive! I tried a year or so ago and got 19. Now you've got me curious! I'll give it a shot Monday but I'm not touching 23. Nice work!

Thanks man, I'm sure you can hit at least 20, I hit 23 and I don't even think it was a good day since I didn't go in wanting to lift very heavy.

Kabuto

Great and very informative OT Squiddy.

What time does fitness-gaf usually go to work out? I usually go around 10:30pm but I want to change that and go around 8pm.

oh and I finally I got to one of my little goals at the gym yesterday of incline benching 135lbs 4 sets! whoo

_Isaac

What time does fitness-gaf usually go to work out? I usually go around 10:30pm but I want to change that and go around 8pm.

oh and I finally I got to one of my little goals at the gym yesterday of incline benching 135lbs 4 sets! whoo

I like to go in the morning. Like around 6:15 am. There are less people, so you have more access to the equipment. It also kinda wakes me up and gives me energy for the rest of the day.

Today's log:

Front Squat 210x5x3 good!
Overhead Press 125x3x5 fucking aced it
Deadlift 360x1x5 Solid

keto:
Cals 2,651
Carbs 40
Fats 194
Protein 155
Sodium 6,476

Wtf is wrong with keto? I feel hazy and hungry in the afternoon, but when it's time to lift, I feel energetic and strong. My suspicion is that hitting just the right amount of protein on a daily basis is improving my lifts. maybve it was the coffee and water with salt 1 hour before lifting that did the trick!

sphinx

the piano man
Right off the bat, you've got to let the bar rest on the ground for a little bit more in between reps. Nothing too big, usually 1-4 seconds is enough, anything more and you are blurring the lines between one set and the other.

Right now you are using some of the momentum still left on the bar and yourself to move the bar upward. That will only lead to sloppy reps down the road as there is no time to contract all the muscles just out of the negative.

The rest of the form is all right, the bar is too light right now, increase the weight because deadlift can be weird at very low weight.

this is something, I am not very sure what am I supposed to do, regarding the start position between reps.

a trainer told me I shouldn't let the bar/weight rest in the floor, that I should always be in tension through the whole set. Other people suggest putting the weight down for seconds, like you say... are both ways o.k? or what's the deal here?

and on another topic, my wrist straps just arrived ^_^ I am so excited to try them today on shoulder day.

and regarding age, it's cool to be young (15-25) and strong but I will go and say a trained man looks better in the 25-35 age range than younger. When someone says they train and are under 25, I can't help but imagine someone with the looks of the current Justin Bieber, which is cool in a certain way but hardly an example of someone I'd look and consider strong.

despire

Been thinking about jumping on to the UD 2.0 bandwagon as it seems few people here are doing it now. It seems pretty hard core and detailed approach but I think I'm the right kind of person to pull it off. Depletion workouts will be interesting since I've never trained like that before.

But I'm still too high in body fat so it doesn't make sense to start it now. I'm sticking with RFL until the end of this cycle, after which I need to have the required diet break anyway. After the break I might start with the UD 2.0 if I'm lean enough.

Also awesome to be in the new thread! The OP is better than ever, great work Squiddy!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Wait, so the weight is supposed to touch the floor on every rep when deadlifting..? I must have read my Rippetoe sloppy!

despire

Wait, so the weight is supposed to touch the floor on every rep when deadlifting..? I must have read my Rippetoe sloppy!

Yes, that's the whole point. It's deadlifting. The weight needs to be dead weight on the ground. Otherwise it's just an RDL.

You can do it touch-and-go (just be sure not to bounce the weight) or take a short break (few seconds) at the bottom before pulling again.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Yes, that's the whole point. It's deadlifting. The weight needs to be dead weight on the ground. Otherwise it's just an RDL.

You can do it touch-and-go (just be sure not to bounce the weight) or take a short break (few seconds) at the bottom before pulling again.

well, shit, there goes the one move I figured I had nailed form wise :D

pretty crazy since I have seen probably like one guy bang the weights between every rep in the three months I have been doing it and wondered what he was doing, everyone else is just getting it up and going from there.

gonna give it a go today. those nice numbers will have to come down but better learn it right early I guess!

sphinx

the piano man
why is it that I can knockout 10 close grip pullups but struggle to six with the wide grip

Some months back Szu gave a good explanation of that, hopefully he can chime in and explain this to you, if I remember correctly, It's basically that you are using different muscles (closed grip, more bicep, wide grip more back/lats)

pretty crazy since I have seen probably like one guy bang the weights between every rep in the three months I have been doing it and wondered what he was doing, everyone else is just getting it up and going from there.

gonna give it a go today. those nice numbers will have to come down but better learn it right early I guess!

yeah, I am glad we are discussing it here because it's been something that's been bugging me for weeks. I was like "resting between reps? (even for a split second) that has to be wrong" and yet, everyone I've seen does the repetitions touching the floor, that's why I do it like that in my video, but wasn't sure I was doing the right thing.

more opinions from experienced fitgaffers here would be greatly appreciated, just so we get more reassurance

My understanding is that it doesn't matter if you have a few seconds break or not so long as the weight is dead on the ground when you start lifting. There shouldn't be any redound or carry through from the previous rep.

Personally i like taking that 1-4 second break just to get myself prepared and make sure my form is right.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...A1-mcd01.hydra

Very interesting article on steroids in athletes at the olympic level and how they were introduced to sports.

I never new that "D-bol the breakfast of champions" was actually a real thing, literally.

Good read, cheers. The general gist of it wasn't especially new to me or I guess to a lot of posters in this thread but the level of detail was fairly revealing. The thing about the STASI destroying all the documentation relating to the use of pig GH was pretty crazy.

deadbeef

Morning crew checking in. Up at 4:30AM. I've almost been doing this for a year. I can't even sleep in past 6AM on the weekends now, haha. Ordered some Optimum Nutrition pre-workout supplement yesterday.

Petrie

Banned
more opinions from experienced fitgaffers here would be greatly appreciated, just so we get more reassurance

You definitely want to rest the weight. I like to take a couple breaths with the weight on the ground between reps just to ensure I don't use any momentum whatsoever.

SeanR1221

Finally made a PT apointment for two weeks.

Since yesterday pain has been radiating down my leg. I'm convinced its my sciatic nerve.

When can I get back to legs? Wheeeeennnn!?!?

Szu

Congrats!!!

I usually go after work at and start my workout around 6:30 pm - 7 pm. I am working on trying to get there an hour earlier.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also A+ at the Muscle Shaming being in the OT. We need our swole acceptance.

Congrats!!!

I usually go after work at and start my workout around 6:30 pm - 7 pm. I am working on trying to get there an hour earlier.

At the gym i go to there are 2 squat racks and around 7 is usually peak hour so i try to avoid that. Depending what shift i work try to either go in the morning but more often later at night when the place is empty. Feels like your own personal gym, can just do what you want.

this shit is trash

786560050012.jpg

needed a quick bite on the road and left my quest bars at home so I went with the above

brb gota shit

kharma45

Does anyone here have an experience with Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM? I've pretty bad knees and some days they're pretty fucking agonising but that's a rare occurrence. One pharmacist I was working with a few weeks ago suggested this and said it had helped him, was wondering if any of you guys had used it?

Exis

Alright so I'm 36, sphinx and Cooter are right behind me. Anyone else mid to late 30s?

I'm 34... and fat.. 218 pounds 25% Bodyfat.

Current numbers
SQ: 275lb DL: 210lb
BP: 140lb OH: 100lb

Diet 2000 calories a day, around 200-250 protein and experimenting with intermittent fasting.

Visceir

Does anyone here have an experience with Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM? I've pretty bad knees and some days they're pretty fucking agonising but that's a rare occurrence. One pharmacist I was working with a few weeks ago suggested this and said it had helped him, was wondering if any of you guys had used it?

Last year I injured my shoulder with bench press and a friend recommended trying Glucosamine. My shoulder did heal up and I stopped taking it right after, no clue if it favored or sped up the healing process but it was inexpensive enough for me to give it a try. Can't say I regret buying/trying it.

I've read reports on the internet saying that it's bs though.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm 34... and fat.. 218 pounds 25% Bodyfat.

Current numbers
SQ: 275lb DL: 210lb
BP: 140lb OH: 100lb

Diet 2000 calories a day, around 200-250 protein and experimenting with intermittent fasting.
You won't be 25% for long if you stick to your current routine! Consistency rules all. Use this place to pull you through those low motivation periods. Good luck!

Imm0rt4l

this shit is trash

786560050012.jpg

needed a quick bite on the road and left my quest bars at home so I went with the above

brb gota shit
Yep, I've had that before. I bought one of these and I think a peanut butter one to take with me into a movie theater. They were both horrible.

kharma45

Last year I injured my shoulder with bench press and a friend recommended trying Glucosamine. My shoulder did heal up and I stopped taking it right after, no clue if it favored or sped up the healing process but it was inexpensive enough for me to give it a try. Can't say I regret buying/trying it.

I've read reports on the internet saying that it's bs though.

Cheers for the feedback. Might give it a go, can't make them any worse.

TheJerit

Great job on the new OP Squiddy. I lurked in the OT5 for awhile, but finally started posting here and there.

Going to be 30 next month and I thought I was an old man in here ;p

I started taking it for my knees, but I mainly think of it as a universal joint lubricant (which is good since I have an inflamed/damaged SI joint). I like to think it helps, but I keep taking it because I get it for free.

On deadlifting: I have to take like a 10 second break in-between reps 3-4-5 because I get lightheaded and I fear I might faint in the gym :( same goes for power cleans for some reason

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You won't be 25% for long if you stick to your current rourine! Consistency rules all. Use this place to pull you through those low motivation periods. Good luck!

Can't stress this enough. Hearing others having their bad days, or subpar gym days, and knowing it happens to EVERYONE has done a lot for my confidence, self-esteem, and stick-to-itiveness with my program.

Knowing I WILL look at myself and go "man I look like dogshit" when I shouldn't - knowing this is the way of the world? It helps. It helps a lot. And consistency is king.

Most important things I've learned on my fitness journey:

1. Diet is king
2. It takes months to wrap your head around a truly realistic timeframe for results
3. You'll never regret a gym visit even if you feel like dogshit

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Having a "I'm small, fat and weak day". Damn you body dismorphia. Damn youuuu!!!

like this dude here.

I look in the mirror and say "shit doesnt look good"

I know that's part and parcel of the Fitness Experience*

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Can't stress this enough. Hearing others having their bad days, or subpar gym days, and knowing it happens to EVERYONE has done a lot for my confidence, self-esteem, and stick-to-itiveness with my program.

Knowing I WILL look at myself and go "man I look like dogshit" when I shouldn't - knowing this is the way of the world? It helps. It helps a lot. And consistency is king.

Most important things I've learned on my fitness journey:

1. Diet is king
2. It takes months to wrap your head around a truly realistic timeframe for results
3. You'll never regret a gym visit even if you feel like dogshit
Great post. There are times I'm feeling lethargic and all I want to do is go home and set up camp on the couch but then I will read a post from Sean or Sphinx about how they killed it today and that previous attitude will be totally replaced by a desire to replicate their passion.

Your body changes every day. One morning you look amazing, the next, you look flat, fat, and bloated. Can't worry about it as hard as that is. In it for the long term.

Be like my hero, Tanahashi. AMAZING!

this is something, I am not very sure what am I supposed to do, regarding the start position between reps.

a trainer told me I shouldn't let the bar/weight rest in the floor, that I should always be in tension through the whole set. Other people suggest putting the weight down for seconds, like you say... are both ways o.k? or what's the deal here?

and on another topic, my wrist straps just arrived ^_^ I am so excited to try them today on shoulder day.

and regarding age, it's cool to be young (15-25) and strong but I will go and say a trained man looks better in the 25-35 age range than younger. When someone says they train and are under 25, I can't help but imagine someone with the looks of the current Justin Bieber, which is cool in a certain way but hardly an example of someone I'd look and consider strong.

Straight from the horse mouth: Starting strength 3rd edition.

On breathing:
"To implement [the valsava manouver] for pull from the foor, inhale while the bar is on the floor...not while you're supporting a heavy weight at the top.

A set of deadlifts should start at the floor, meaning that each re begnis and ends at the bottom, with the back getting set and a new breath taken between reps while the bar is on the floor. Many people like to pull the first rep off of the floor, breathe at the top of the lockout, and finish the set by bouncing the bar off the floor for the remaining reps... You need to develop your ability to set your back and control your position each time you pull the bar"

So if you are bouncinglifting and deadlifting, you are most likely not setting your back and breathing at the bottom. Stop that. I don't trust any random PT over Rippetoe on these things, and you shouldn't either. Still there is more in SS 3rd edition (the page is 135)

AVOIDING A BOUNCE

"One of the key features of the dealift is that it requires the production of force from a dead stop...[explanation of bounce]...one of the reasons a heavy deadlift is so brutally hard is that it starts out of the bottom without the benefit of the bounce that helps [the squat at the bottom]. If a bounce is incorporated into all the reps of a set of deadlifts except the first one, much of the value of doing them is lost.

The energy expended in [resetting and holding] is a major part of the energy expended during a deadlift... A set of [bounced] deadlifts is just one deadlift and a set of RDL's [Romanian Deadlifts]. Training this way, you will never develop the strength needed to hold the lumbar position for heavy weights, because for 80% of your set you are relying on plate rebound and the elastic energy [stored].

Another problem is [sloppy technique]. It's harded to correct a rounded back when bouncing
"

So yeah, don't bounce it really. The Rippetoe goes on those science rants of him that really show that he is just not a meathead:

So yeah don't do it!

Also sphinx, I am glad you got your wrist straps, but I don't recommend using them until your grip is really liting your lifts. Remember that a wrist strap only really works for pulling movements such as the deadlift, farmer walks, RDL's, shrugs, etc. and at your current deadlift weights, they are not needed. In fact, using them might interfere with the development of grip. Everybody is different of course, but I use wrist straps only if I am lifting over 380 pounds, where my grip starts to falter. Grip develops slower than the deadlift adds pounds, so in a way they are there to let you develop your muscles faster than your grip.

Just a heads up

SeanR1221

Your body changes every day. One morning you look amazing, the next, you look flat, fat, and bloated. Can't worry about it as hard as that is. In it for the long term.

Be like my hero, Tanahashi. AMAZING!

Yup gotta take the outlook that every new day you're a better person for staying consistent.

What about with squats? Possibly a silly question but at the bottom of my reps i tend to 'bounce' back up. Is it supposed to be a controlled motion or is that ok? I do go very deep on my squats but i'll admit that if i try and do it slower it's far more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom