• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Touching the chest is not very desired because it can lead to bouncing off it, but limited ROM is also not very productive. I'm like the official Rippetoe representative around here, and the instruction he gives is that you should aim to "touch your shirt". I trust Dave Tate quite a bit more in terms of the Bench Press but I haven't seen his recommendations on this regard

If you are not touching your chest, you must make sure that it's almost doing it

I think limited range of motion on the bench is not so much of an issue as in the squat (where it can really can fuck up things), but it's a matter of setting a standard by which you will measure all of your reps

Teggy

Another thing Rippetoe has said is to pretend there is a piece of glass on your chest, and you should touch it without breaking it.

abuC

I didn't agree BTW. It's still a proper bench if you don't touch but it better be pretty close!

It's close, I can touch on decline but on flat bench I can feel something in my shoulder getting caught and then it pops.

(long arm problems)

andycapps

It's close, I can touch on decline but on flat bench I can feel something in my shoulder getting caught and then it pops.

(long arm problems)

I know that feel. I have no problem with not touching chest. Us long armed brethren are having to extend it further than those with shorter arms anyway. Sometimes I really wish I were shorter and had a stockier frame for this reason. But eh, cards I was dealt so I'll deal like everyone else.

When doing bench presses I really try to focus on keeping my elbows tucked in. I try to control the movement and keep my eyes focused on the bar. I avoid touching my chest but get as close as possible.

When doing bench presses I really try to focus on keeping my elbows tucked in. I try to control the movement and keep my eyes focused on the bar. I avoid touching my chest but get as close as possible.

What do you mean by tucked in? Elbows should be parallel all around:

Bench_Press_Arms.jpg

And it's better to pick up a spot in the ceiling and focus on that. Focusing on the bar can lead to the bar dancing around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM8NwWal_7c

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I touch and when I'm doing NFL combine 225 reps I bounce the shit out of that bar!

Checking in with the new thread. It has been a bit over 5 years since I first picked up a weight at the gym. A lot of it, actually, was due to the OT1 of this series of threads; I even remember Captain Glanton taking his ball home in a hissy fit and deleting the original 1st post in that thread. Anyway, I was very consistent for a couple years, but since starting my PhD have not hit the gym quite as regularly as I'd like. I used to get in a consistent 5 days a week of lifting, but went for around a year with no more than maybe 3-4 times at the gym per month... lost a ton of muscle since then, but, I'm happy to say I've been back on track for the past six months, getting in around 3 sessions a week and slowly increasing that count week-to-week. Hoping to be at a consistent 4-5 days a week soon.

5'9", 170 lbs, ~18% body fat, approximate 1RM on DL = 340#, BP = 200#, Squat = 275#. I'd love to be back at my peak and to even surpass that honestly. I try not to make excuses, but it is difficult to keep up with my lifting as much as I'd like when I devote ~75 hours a week to my PhD, but hey, "no one ever excused his way to success." So, no excuses, just successes. I'm lucky to maintain a solid 7-8 hours of sleep 95% of nights and cook the vast majority of my meals, so I'm at least 2/3rds of the way towards being as strong as I can be.

SeanR1221

Checking in with the new thread. It has been a bit over 5 years since I first picked up a weight at the gym. I was very consistent for a couple years, but since starting my PhD have not hit the gym quite as regularly as I'd like. I used to get in a consistent 5 days a week of lifting, but went for around a year with no more than maybe 3-4 times at the gym per month... lost a ton of muscle since then, but, I'm happy to say I've been back on track for the past six months, getting in around 3 sessions a week and slowly increasing that count week-to-week. Hoping to be at a consistent 4-5 days a week soon.

5'9", 170 lbs, ~18% body fat, approximate 1RM on DL = 340#, BP = 200#, Squat = 275#. I'd love to be back at my peak and to even surpass that honestly. I try not to make excuses, but it is difficult to keep up with my lifting as much as I'd like when I devote ~75 hours a week to my PhD, but hey, "no one ever excused his way to success." So, no excuses, just successes. I'm lucky to maintain a solid 7-8 hours of sleep 95% of nights and cook the vast majority of my meals, so I'm at least 2/3rds of the way towards being as strong as I can be.

I would look into the 5/3/1 2 or 3 day a week program. You have good starting numbers for 5/3/1 and this would allow you some wiggle room if school gets stressful.

I would look into the 5/3/1 2 or 3 day a week program. You have good starting numbers for 5/3/1 and this would allow you some wiggle room if school gets stressful.

Thanks, I'll look into it. I've basically stuck to a Starting Strength-style routine. I used to stick to it very closely for a few years, but after my semi-hiatus from lifting, I modified it slightly by adding in a few smaller movements, but otherwise keeping it the same. Probably about time to move away from a program with "Starting" as a part of its name, as damn good as it is.

I'm sure I'll have some questions for GymGAF once I read into it more.

Thanks, I'll look into it. I've basically stuck to a Starting Strength-style routine. I used to stick to it very closely for a few years, but after my semi-hiatus from lifting, I modified it slightly by adding in a few smaller movements, but otherwise keeping it the same. Probably about time to move away from a program with "Starting" as a part of its name, as damn good as it is.

I remember you. Starting strength can only take you so far, I know I can only do it for 2-3 months before starting to get destroyed by the workouts. I would graduate to something else now. 5/3/1 is really advised around here.

SeanR1221

And I know them feels. I put on about 20 pounds in grad school. Late nights in the lab, diet totally out the window (so much Philly cart food) and overall stress but I only have myself to blame. It's a shame too because my school (Drexel) had a pretty amazing gym. It even had a rock climbing wall.

sphinx

the piano man
good that we are talking about bench.

so many things to comment.

.- Bronzewulf, Petrie and Despire, thanks for commenting on the Deadlift. Regarding the wrist straps, I just wanted to see how they feel and wanted to use them while benching.

.- I don't know if it was because of the straps or the epic music I had on my MP3 but today I beat 132 lbs / 60 kgs on bench for good. Complete 5x3 with the possibility of squeezing 1 or 2 more reps if I had a spotter, solid reps with good ROM, very near the chest, no fear, no nonsense. There was no spotter around as always but this time the weight felt right, you know, like it's going to happen, I'd even say the weight feels comfortable, in a certain way. I was so excited, I wanted to scream out loud " WHO'S THE BOSS, YOU FUCKING BENCH?? HUH???". I am pumped to go next time into 62.5 kgs with a solid basis, man, with a spotter I'd soooo pull it off.

.- Cooter, WOW, I am honored you mentioned me some posts back, I never thought any of you veterans cared or followed what we newbies say or do. I read the post before heading into the gym and it inspired me. Thank you. Being alone in a foreing country with almost no friends and single makes this thread even more important. Nobody around me cares if I bench 62.5 or 60 or if I bench at all....

.- haha when I saw Spacebridge mentioned the smith machine I thought " o.k, here we go, Fitgaf policemen are surely rushing to the crime scene as I read this, lol", the panic gif was perfect. Spacebridge, don't feel bad because you used the smith machine, but make sure it was the last time, you need a proper squat rack for proper squatting,

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
.- Cooter, WOW, I am honored you mentioned some posts back, I never thought any of you veterans cared or followed what we newbies say or do. I read the post before heading into the gym and it inspired me. Thank you. Being alone in a foreing country with almost no friends and single makes this thread even more important. Nobody around me cares if I bench 62.5 or 60 or if I bench at all....

We newbies? Sphinx brah. You've got a veteran mindset and you're in the right place. I look up to YOU brah.

Plus ass envy.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I remember you. Starting strength can only take you so far, I know I can only do it for 2-3 months before starting to get destroyed by the workouts. I would graduate to something else now. 5/3/1 is really advised around here.

I'ts starting to kill me and I'm a little over 3 months into training. Takes me at least 10 mins in between squat sets now. And it's taking me at least 2 days to move up 10 lbs in squats and deads. Only thing I'm really lagging in in is power cleans like I've mentioned before, mostly due to form feeling off.

sphinx

the piano man
I actually pulled my muscle when I did this. I should have warm up or stretch before tackling a heavy set.

it took awhile for it to recover

you guys mean you go into heavy compounds lifts with no warm up??? what planet to you come from? I'd be in the hospital by now.

before getting into the compounds I do the following bodyweight exercises to warm-up:

Bench : 50 push-ups slowly, 4 variations and dips, 3 sets, 5 reps.
OHP: Handstand push-ups, 4 sets 5 reps
Squat: Pistol Squat, 3 sets x 6-8 reps (x2 for each leg)
Deadlift: Lowerback Hyperextensions, 4 sets x 5 reps.

We newbies? Sphinx brah. You've got a veteran mindset and you're in the right place. I look up to YOU brah.

Plus ass envy.

if you knew how ignorant I am regarding nutrition and programing, you'd say "holy shit...please educate yourself". I've only got passion going for me, I lack other things. but I am working on it. I do follow some personal variation of SS, but I am yet to officially do the program... I'll either do that or if I reach an intermediate level on all my compounds in terms of strength in the next weeks, ´(which isnt that far away, squat is there already, OHP and Bench only several kilograms away, DL still needs work), I may go direct to wendler's.

regarding my ass, boooo you everyone hahahaha :D nobody cared about my ass and nobody besides falling Edge participated ;-( Sean, I am NEVER trusting you again. lol

abuC

My carb up starts after my workout, this accurately describes how I feel about it -

tumblr_mgwl8s7C9h1s1zzm3o1_400.gif

Dinner will be spaghetti and chicken parm (low fat mozz), I'm giddy as hell!

Both the front squat and high bar squats have much more quad and glute activation than low bar since the role of the hamstrings is diminished so the glutes have to pick up the slack to extend the hips.

Quads sure, but not sure if I agree on glutes. The closed hip angle in the bottom position on low-bar stretches the glutes more as well as the hamstrings, allowing them to contribute more to the movement on the way up:

high-bar-vs-low-bar-squats-back-angles.jpeg

Also, there is no slack to pick up since you can handle less weight on highs and front squats. I believe that's where the confusion comes from. Low-bar is simply the best way to train the posterior chain (glutes and hams).

Exis

The thing about reading this thread is reading the smith machine comment and not having to reply due to it being already handled.

I wish they were useful for the squat it is already annoying when the one squat rack in my gym is taken up by someone doing shrugs (never seen a curler) and I have to resort to the leg press to try to mimic the movement. We have a freemotion 'squat' station that I have tried but the movement feels totally different.

abuC

deadbeef, what was your post workout shake while doing UD 2.0? I'm supposed to have 1g of carb per LBM and there's nearly nothing I can think of that will make me hit 208g of carbs in one shake without having a tremendous amount of calories.

So what is a smith machine used for? I swear it looked like a squat rack too, just that the bar was a part of this huge frame.

I saw a dude doing seated military presses with it. He dragged a bench into it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
deadbeef, what was your post workout shake while doing UD 2.0? I'm supposed to have 1g of carb per LBM and there's nearly nothing I can think of that will make me hit 208g of carbs in one shake without having a tremendous amount of calories.

Shake w/pan of brownies? No, no...

velociraptor

you guys mean you go into heavy compounds lifts with no warm up??? what planet to you come from? I'd be in the hospital by now.

before getting into the compounds I do the following bodyweight exercises to warm-up:

Bench : 50 push-ups slowly, 4 variations and dips, 3 sets, 5 reps.
OHP: Handstand push-ups, 4 sets 5 reps
Squat: Pistol Squat, 3 sets x 6-8 sets (x2 for each leg)
Wouldn't that take a lot out of you?

If I'm doing an upper body exercise, I'll do pushups, dips, chinups (depending on muscle group worked) but only for a small number of reps. Then I'll use 2/3 warmup sets and then it'll be my working sets.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
So what is a smith machine used for? I swear it looked like a squat rack too, just that the bar was a part of this huge frame.

I saw a dude doing seated military presses with it. He dragged a bench into it.
I only use it for behind the back shrugs.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I do shrugs with DBs. Would something else be more effective? 20 reps, which is overkill, but that's when I feeeel it.

I do shrugs with DBs. Would something else be more effective? 20 reps, which is overkill, but that's when I feeeel it.

Hang cleans can be pretty brutal with them trapzzz, and those you gotta do with 5reps or less. Farmers walks and rows. My traps didn't start growing until I started doing power cleans (not like they are hooge now)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hang cleans can be pretty brutal with them trapzzz, and those you gotta do with 5reps or less. Farmers walks and rows. My traps didn't start growing until I started doing power cleans (not like they are hooge now)

Hang cleans look like they'll be rouuuuugh, I'm all in.

Visceir

If I'm doing an upper body exercise, I'll do pushups, dips, chinups (depending on muscle group worked) but only for a small number of reps. Then I'll use 2/3 warmup sets and then it'll be my working sets.

50 push ups + all the other stuff seems quite a lot to mee too. I imagine it drains quite a lot of energy.

I usually just do some arm circles, then some exercises to warm my shoulders and wrists up and do a few stretches. I figured the warm-up sets with bar only and lighter weights should really be enough after that.

Petrie

Banned
.- Cooter, WOW, I am honored you mentioned some posts back, I never thought any of you veterans cared or followed what we newbies say or do. I read the post before heading into the gym and it inspired me. Thank you. Being alone in a foreing country with almost no friends and single makes this thread even more important. Nobody around me cares if I bench 62.5 or 60 or if I bench at all....

Anyone who posts more than a few times makes my radar. If they come across as willing to learn, they make the list. I very much enjoy your journey and continue to try to remember posters like yourself not in the US when spouting off deals and such (rare as they are internationally) though I will never grasp your dam kilos.

For traps, I'm doing various shrugs, rows, and high pulls. I've got all year to really focus on them. Hitting them 2-3 times a week.

sphinx

the piano man

possibly for someone else but not for me, that bodyweight stuff is the kind of things I used to do before getting into free weights and grabing the barbell, my body is adapted to all of those so I do small sets, (few reps) and they work wonders. 50 pushups is a bit overkill for a warm-up but again, it has been working and I want the chest and arms to wake up, it works.

I have said a couple of times but I am not sure anyone is listening. so here it goes again: Pistol squats are the BEST assitance exercise anyone can ever do to improve on a regular barbell squat, IMO.

there is a reason I am by far more advanced in squats than in the other compounds and I have no doubts, it's due to pistol squats.

I use plates but the biggest are 45 lbs / 20 kgs so I am stuck with that weight, I'll have to use DBs as well if I want improve on that. I also go for 20 reps in that exercise... nice to see I am not the only one.

Cudder

I use this for shrugs because I can load it up

CS-HSPL_GBSL-hero.png

I use this most of the time too, but my mind was blown when I found out these things were actually single leg squat machines.

One of the staples for my shoulder/trap days are Plate Raises combined with Plate upright rows.

plateraise2.jpg

Chittagong

Gold Member
Last Friday, on my Helsinki trip, I decided to participate a drunken post sauna arm wrestling competition. It's what kids in Finland do when drunk. Thanks to my Fit-gaf grooming I won all matches except my last left, at that point I was all depleted.

My biceps have not still fully recovered and I am wondering when should I start to worry. It feels like the muscle insertions would be sore, doing any pulls or even lifting the empty barbell out from the rack feels same as a really hard painful stretch would. I don't think it's DOMS either because my arms are not stiff.

Similar feels in delts and tris but definitely most pronounced on the lower bicep close to the joint. I have been punishing them pretty hard in the last weeks with preacher curls now that I think of it.

sphinx

the piano man
Anyone who posts more than a few times makes my radar. If they come across as willing to learn, they make the list. I very much enjoy your journey and continue to try to remember posters like yourself not in the US when spouting off deals and such (rare as they are internationally) though I will never grasp your dam kilos.

haha, yeah I hate this metric vs imperial thing, I wished we'd all use the same system.

in any case, to get lbs you multiply the kilos X 2.2 ... easy but still a hassle :p

one thing that I think puts someone in everybody's radar is sharing pictures. If a fitgaffer shares even just one image, then right there a generic forum account suddently transforms into a human being, it's a person there not just a box of text.

and man, for someone how just recently finished his 2nd year of serious training, what you have achieved in terms of strength is truly impressive, I remember you shared that info in one of the last pages in OT5, I said wow. That will be hard to top.

did my eyes deceive me or is this guy's ass WRINKLED O_O

never going that low with my BF, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom