• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Huge cheat day last night to celebrate my Niners getting their ass whooped and it showed at the gym today.

150x5 DB bench
135x4 BB curls
275x4 BB bench incline (PR)

J. Bravo

I have come to the conclusion that I need to do more back/pulling work. I'm doing 5/3/1 BBB. What can I add, and where should I add it?

Finally felt the deadlift work my ass and legs today. So much so that I actually collapsed to the ground after my second set.

Felt good about it cause I always hear guys talk about how deadlifts kill their legs but I've never experienced that before.

Were you doing anything different? I just started deadlifting and I'm not really feeling it in the ass and legs much right now

Szu

Well, I saw my doctor yesterday. They did a few dexterity and grip strength tests on my left hand. According to him and based on the level of numbness and atrophy, the best course of action is surgery.

I'm going to get a second opinion this Thursday, but I do trust this current doctor. He worked on my right elbow. Granted, we caught it early, so the recovery time should be minimal.

On the bright side, I'll have matching scars on both my arms now.

Irobot82

So I'm up to 230lb on my squats. Ever since around over 200, all my squat sets leave my lower back just exhausted. To the point where its hard to relax. I have to take several minute break before going to the next routine. Is this normal? It doesn't hurt, but it's like I just crammed 12 hours of back breaking manual labor into 15 minutes.

Also, on Friday I'll be attempting 150lb bench press. Very excited.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
So, with my Squat Rack I've made the transition from front squats to back squats rather smoothly. Front squats were difficult as fuck. I'm now at 112.5lbs on squats and plan to make nice gains because I didn't struggle with that 112.5 at all. Succesful 150lb Deadlifts last night as well. Bench Presses are a bitch...man, I'm only at 92.5 and somewhat struggled on my last set.

I'm gonna see if I can move my OHP to 85 on Wednesday.

Well, I saw my doctor yesterday. They did a few dexterity and grip strength tests on my left hand. According to him and based on the level of numbness and atrophy, the best course of action is surgery.

I'm going to get a second opinion this Thursday, but I do trust this current doctor. He worked on my right elbow. Granted, we caught it early, so the recovery time should be minimal.

Scars are always a plus. When you're back in the gym after your recovery, the scars will look good as hell when you're hittin' the weights.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Anyone have any good suggestions for power racks that aren't insanely expensive and do not need to be bolted down to the floor?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Look at it this way - get it fixed, then you're good. Forget scars, they're nothing!

I have come to the conclusion that I need to do more back/pulling work. I'm doing 5/3/1 BBB. What can I add, and where should I add it?

If you're doing it by the book you're doing chins on press day (and a couple between bench sets) and DB rows on bench day, right? I added in shrugs after deadlifts and you could do back extensions after squats, or full-range glute-ham raises instead of leg curls if you have one of the stations.

You might also consider switching to the periodization bible if you want to focus more on back stuff since it allows for a little more variety at the cost of the awesome BBB sets.

MjFrancis

It's important to be able to stay positive about probable surgery. Should that be the case I wish you a speedy recovery.

Dude. Kap is my QB in fantasy. He screwed me!!!
Seattle's 12th man did it's part Sunday. The first half was ugly on either side, but the 49ers just fell apart after halftime. I'm sure he'll be back to form next week.

Irobot82

So I'm up to 230lb on my squats. Ever since around over 200, all my squat sets leave my lower back just exhausted. To the point where its hard to relax. I have to take several minute break before going to the next routine. Is this normal? It doesn't hurt, but it's like I just crammed 12 hours of back breaking manual labor into 15 minutes.

Also, on Friday I'll be attempting 150lb bench press. Very excited.

A co-worker recommended I push my squats to the end of the workout? Is that a better idea?

A co-worker recommended I push my squats to the end of the workout? Is that a better idea?

Do YOU think it's a better idea to move the most complex lift that requires the most attention to form and technique to the end of the workout, when you'll have be more tired and have already taxed the body parts said lift hits?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Squats and deads are first for me, every time. I wouldn't be able to progress well without it being first on the list.

Irobot82

Do YOU think it's a better idea to move the most complex lift that requires the most attention to form and technique to the end of the workout, when you'll have be more tired and have already taxed the body parts said lift hits?

It's hard to say, I only do three lifts a workout session. Bench Press, OHP, Rows, and Deadlifts don't wear me out anything like the Squat does. When I finish those three sets of squats my lower back is exhausted. I don't know. I guess that's normal.
As my weights are getting very high for me, I need to deal with taking longer to recover? Makes sense.

Go_Ly_Dow

Yes. Don't use a smith to squat.

Yes, very much.

Damn, that student gym sucks :( My university gym has three squat racks on a platform. So one person can do squats and another person can do DLs or BB rows outside of the squat rack (a third person can do either DLs or BB rows off the platform on the ground too). During very busy hours, three people are at each 'station'; those are fun.

Last Friday I did squats with 80 lbs, completed all the reps. So I increased it to 85 lbs today; had to dump the weight on the last rep of the last set, so close :|

Slightly off-topic: My group and I were giving an oral presentations for our Process Design course and after class my friend said, "your traps are insane" lol.

Well FUCK. Goodbye leg gains and progress. Ugh,

J. Bravo

If you're doing it by the book you're doing chins on press day (and a couple between bench sets) and DB rows on bench day, right? I added in shrugs after deadlifts and you could do back extensions after squats, or full-range glute-ham raises instead of leg curls if you have one of the stations.

You might also consider switching to the periodization bible if you want to focus more on back stuff since it allows for a little more variety at the cost of the awesome BBB sets.
Ya that's what I'm doing on those days. I might just add a few more exercises on those days. I did the Bible for a cycle but decided to switch to BBB.
Well FUCK. Goodbye leg gains and progress. Ugh,
Just because you don't progress on back squats doesn't mean you can't make gains on legs. Use the leg press, leg curls, ab/adductors, bw squats, split squats, lunges, calf raises, leg extensions, and anything else you can think of doing.

Cooper

OK FitGAF, I need help with my OHP. I've been doing the standard novice routine for a month (17 workouts so far), and most of the lifts are progressing as expected. My OHP, however, just never really got started, and I'm already stuck at 55 lbs.

This first video is my warm-up with the empty bar.
http://youtu.be/neoM-_P_JBo

The second one is my working set at 55 lbs, where I fail after 2 reps. :p
http://youtu.be/iWCdlkGxwHQ

Any help is appreciated. I don't think recovery or diet are factors since the other lifts are progressing normally, but I'm willing to make some possible tweaks there too. For the record, the progress of my other lifts in the same time period has been:
Squat: 45 -> 125
Deadlift: 95 -> 175
Bench: 45 -> 65 (2.5 lb increments)

Thanks!

J. Bravo

Quit holding the weight for so long before you start lifting. Don't need to walk back that far. When you unrack the weight, get under it like a front squat and get it off the rack with your legs. As soon as the bar clears your head, push your head forward so the weight goes behind your head. Also don't bend your back so much, as I think that puts more of the load onto your spine which is no bueno.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Quick question, and this seems like the best place to ask it. I hate working out. Hate it. I love being active and doing stuff like hiking, kayaking, playing basketball, etc., but working out for the sake of working out... it's awful.

However, I also don't get to do that kind of stuff as often as I would like; I'm 34, work full time, and taking a half load of classes in grad school. I've decided, somewhat at random, that I am going to start doing the following mini-workout M-F before I go to work:
  • Pushups
  • Pullups
  • Situps or crunches
  • Body weight squats

Two sets each of as many reps as I can do. Given my goal of simply maintaining some semblance of musculature and keeping weight off -- NOT getting ripped or bulky or anything -- is there anything wrong with this? I've always heard that you should give your muscles at least 24 hrs to rest between workouts, but I'm not going to be pushing myself to the max here. Thanks in advance for any help.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question, and this seems like the best place to ask it. I hate working out. Hate it. I love being active and doing stuff like hiking, kayaking, playing basketball, etc., but working out for the sake of working out... it's awful.

However, I also don't get to do that kind of stuff as often as I would like; I'm 34, work full time, and taking a half load of classes in grad school. I've decided, somewhat at random, that I am going to start doing the following mini-workout M-F before I go to work:
  • Pushups
  • Pullups
  • Situps or crunches
  • Body weight squats

Two sets each of as many reps as I can do. Given my goal of simply maintaining some semblance of musculature and keeping weight off -- NOT getting ripped or bulky or anything -- is there anything wrong with this? I've always heard that you should give your muscles at least 24 hrs to rest between workouts, but I'm not going to be pushing myself to the max here. Thanks in advance for any help.

To be honest, it sounds like an inefficient use of time. You can do higher weights with a few compound lifts and spend less time doing it. Go mon-wed-fri, swap the pushups for bench, do the pullups, do an ab wheel if you like, and put some weight on the squats and maybe throw in some deadlifts and baby you got a soup goin'.

Dash27

OK FitGAF, I need help with my OHP. I've been doing the standard novice routine for a month (17 workouts so far), and most of the lifts are progressing as expected. My OHP, however, just never really got started, and I'm already stuck at 55 lbs.

This first video is my warm-up with the empty bar.
http://youtu.be/neoM-_P_JBo

The second one is my working set at 55 lbs, where I fail after 2 reps. :p
http://youtu.be/iWCdlkGxwHQ

Press is a tough one to get up for me too. That said if you look at the basic standards here, depending on what you weigh 55 lbs isnt bad. http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf

As for things wrong give this a quick look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAXPJ3PfdyY

You want your elbows forward, back straighter and generally be very tight in the core. You also want to really get your head through there. Also note what he said about kicking the hips back at the end. I kinda feel like this is cheating a bit but who am I to argue with the guy.

Pete Rock

OK FitGAF, I need help with my OHP.!
I struggled in the same way for a long time. Immediately in the video you can see your lower back is already flexed out (or I should really say your hips are too far forward) and your elbows aren't far enough forward "underneath" the bar after unracking. Your chest is down and your head is already tilted backwards. You immediately lean backwards to put your arms in a more appropriate position when you attempt the rep, however this puts your spine in really poor alignment and effectively you are not "squared" under it able to generate appropriate force for this reason. This makes the weight feel tremendously awful and is similar to poorly exaggerated form on any lift, it just feels crushingly bad on OHP because there is nothing for it to collapse onto efficiently when you're so contorted backwards. Your chest and the crown of your head should be shoved up, not back or slumped down, so the spine is in better alignment for the entire lift. Watch from 0:16 to 0:17 and you can see it very clearly, the immediate motion is with the head and away from the bar instead of generating force up and through its travel path. You also see it the other direction when you fail the last rep because you're already leaned so far back, it almost looks like you are shoving the bar away from your body outwards at like a 12' angle because that's exactly what's happening as a sort of automatic counterbalance to your rear lean. I exhibited these same symptoms for a long time and always have to be mindful of these points.

The only movement of your back should be a very slight forward movement at the end on the final lockout, and it should come more form the chest and not from leading by leaning your head forward. Rewatch the SS videos and take notes. A good tip I read a long time ago is to imagine your lats as the shelf base, there should be no deviation to the rear or really any movement of your body - particularly leading with the back of your head - in that direction at all. Also bent over rows with correct form are a good accessory lift to help things along.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
5/3/1 BEGINS TODAY

SO READY! HYPE HYPE HYPE

Got my printouts and log ready, time to do this!

5/3/1 BEGINS TODAY

SO READY! HYPE HYPE HYPE

Got my printouts and log ready, time to do this!

I just started last week. I've been working out steady for 4 years now and felt like trying something new to get stronger. I usually focus on bodybuilding style workouts, but I figure with the weather getting colder here I can afford to try something new. I like the concept of basing workouts are the 4 core exercises. Really looking to improve my OHP.

abuC

Brother in law called me Vin Mulatto......lol

Depletion days have gotten so much easier for me in the last two weeks, they used to be so difficult.

thomaser

Finally felt the deadlift work my ass and legs today. So much so that I actually collapsed to the ground after my second set.

Felt good about it cause I always hear guys talk about how deadlifts kill their legs but I've never experienced that before.

I started to feel it in the legs, too, when I reached 130kg or so. I feel it a lot in the calves for some reason, but also the ass.

SeanR1221

Up to 155lbs on squats now. Slight tightness, no pain. You guys can't imagine how happy I am. My PT warned me disk recovery doesn't follow linear progression. Some days will be worse than others. But right now? I'm riding a high.

Also cut my legs on snatch grip DLs. Awwwww yisssss

Cooper

Thanks for the comments and tips. I'll have to watch the videos listed. I read the SS chapter on the OHP last night, but this might be one of those picture = 1000 words things.

When you unrack the weight, get under it like a front squat and get it off the rack with your legs.
I've never actually done a front squat, but it sounds like the main thing to focus on when taking it out of the rack is to use my legs, rather than actually trying to lift it out with my arms like I do.

Press is a tough one to get up for me too. That said if you look at the basic standards here, depending on what you weigh 55 lbs isnt bad. http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf
Thanks for the video; I'll watch it tonight. I'm 130 lbs, so I guess 55 isn't horrendously far off for my level. Is that chart 1RM numbers, or working set weights? Either way, I want to improve, of course.

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanations. Looks like I have some homework to do before my weekend gym visit!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Brother in law called me Vin Mulatto......lol

Depletion days have gotten so much easier for me in the last two weeks, they used to be so difficult.

Good to hear you've been seeing such awesome progress lately. That Ultimate Diet 2.0 is the real deal it sounds.

So, yesterday after a year or so on the gym i took an evaluation to see how my body composition had changed. I still haven´t gotten printed, but here´s the basic changes:

I´m 5´11

weight - 184 lbs >>> 176lbs (i was at 168 two months ago, but i think it was less mass)

muscle weight (lean mass) 79lbs >>> 88lbs

bodyfat % - 16.35 >>> 11.52

Another measure i remember: arms went from 11.4 inches to 13.4. Still room for more bulk but good start i guess.

Despite the weird training and the bad eating habits, i´m quite happy with the results. I lost 3.15 inches on the belly and that was the biggest gain according to the lady doctor that measured me.

I wonder if i ate a little better and wasn´t travelling so much how far i could have gotten. Definately pumped to get bellow 10% BF, which i thought it was very hard to do. Based on the measures, it´s just about getting the six pack to show, because all other reagins have little fat on it, so that´s a good sign as well.

I know some of the results are good, but what does fit gaf thinks about it? Should i strive for less than 10% by january or is it too early?

I´m about to be 31 and this is the best shape of my life. I´m really pissed off that i wasn´t hitting the gym hard back when i was 17-18 because it´s way easier when you are younger.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Good to hear you've been seeing such awesome progress lately. That Ultimate Diet 2.0 is the real deal it sounds.

Seriously.

abuC, have you also read The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook? Is there one you would recommend over the other if I'm going to buy and read one?

Got a boxer's fracture on my right hand. Been able to lift with it but nowhere near my maxes. Just trying to maintain for now, been healing for 2 weeks and feels near healed just no grip strength yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxQVdLX7dVI

I can't imagine ever being this strong. That shit is humbling.

Seriously inspirational stuff.

I've been following a 5/3/1 routine based on the Triumvirate plan (1 big lift and 2 assistance lifts per session). This is what I'm doing now, which I think has some imbalance in terms of my assistance lifts being done with the wrong big lift:

Current/old routine said:
Day A
Squats 5/3/1
Barbell lunges 3x10
Dumbbell side bends 3x15

Day B
Military Press 5/3/1
Preacher curls 3x15
Shrugs 3x10

Day C
Deadlift 5/3/1
Cable rows 3x15
Bent-over rows 3x15

Day D
Bench 5/3/1
Seated cable pulldown 3x15
Dumbbell bench 3x15

I want to add another assistance lift to each day and having read through more parts about assistance work from the 5/3/1 2nd edition, I think the 5/3/1 with the Periodization Bible for assistance lifts sounds like an ideal plan. So, here's what I'm proposing for my next mesocycle (which starts in a couple days):

My new/proposed routine said:
Day A
Squats 5/3/1
Barbell lunges 5x10
Dumbbell side bends 5x10
Not sure what to add here

Day B
Military Press 5/3/1
DB Bench 5x10
Preacher curls 5x10
Shrugs 5x10

Day C
Deadlift 5/3/1
Leg Press 5x10
Cable rows 5x10
Not sure what to add here

Day D
Bench 5/3/1
Bent-over rows 5x10
Dips 5x10
Tricep pushdowns 5x10

Warm-ups are not included in the above.

Any advice for the two bolded parts for another assistance lift? I'm thinking of adding front squats on my squat day, but otherwise I don't know what seems worthwhile. I think it overall looks like a decent training regimen. Also, the Periodization Bible suggests 5x10-20 for each assistance lift; is it acceptable to switch to a 3x10-20 and increase the weight accordingly for the sake of time?

I'm open to any suggestions. Beyond my lifting schedule, I have some other minor activities I engage in each week:

I bike ~20 miles a week, do 10 minutes of HIIT twice a week on a stationary bike, stretch for 15 minutes 3 days a week, and foam roll my upper back, lower back, glutes, and IT bands 25-50 times 2-3 days a week.

Hoping all of this keeps me in/gets me into better shape by my wedding in September of next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom