• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

UCF Alert: Due to Hurricane Irma, all academic programs/classes are cancelled starting Thursday, Sept. 7. Campus will be closed Sept. 8-11. More info ucf.edu

itshappening.gif
Last year UCF waited until the day before Matthew to close

That's good, it'll give me enough time to drive west.

kendrid

Banned
I have been watching a live cam from St. Thomas all morning. It looked like this hours ago:

Jr999wg.png

And just before the camera went down:
44ejP8j.png

I can't imagine being in one of those buildings.

Live in Palm Springs (technically right near the border of Greenacres), hoping the trends of it going more eastward stick since that would keep the NE side of the storm away from the east coast of Florida. Still going to get crazy wind and rain regardless, though.

Luckily my family has a metal building behind our house that basically can withstand a Cat 5, although I have no idea if the house itself will take it if the storm trends more westward. v_v

Not really feasible due to family member conditions to evacuate unless absolutely necessary, but since I'm far west of I-95 and the coast, I don't think they'll do mandatory evacuations for my area and our building would be intact regardless so still planning on hunkering down in there unless thing drastically change.

Mouse Cop

Dude, you're house was built after Andrew, like someone had already said. I would be VERY worried if you haven't prepared at all. I went out today to Home Depot, Walmart, and supplies are scarce as it is now. The longer you wait, the worse it will be. If you don't have shutters, plan to wait in line for plywood. If you're in southwest Kendall, you're not too far from where I'm at. The Home Depot on Bird and 117th ran out of of wood, water, and sand. Miami-Gaf, down 127th there are garden nurseries that have sand! I was able to get bags from there and they get constant shipments. I would recommend getting sand if you live near a lake or don't have shutters. Please make efforts to stock up on everything if you haven't already, don;t overestimate Florida's capabilities in handling hurricanes to not prepare. Get gas, get cash, get supplies now. Category 4 is no joke and we can be facing a lot of flooding.

If you have the means to evacuate, then I'd do it sooner rather than later, but we're not going to get flattened like the Caribbean islands either. Just prepare as much as you can

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Comcast Opens Xfinity WiFi Hotspots to All Across Florida During Hurricane Irma

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...-Florida-During-Hurricane-Irma-442899183.html

Comcast "hotspots" are just them allowing people to use their customers' cable modems' wifi without the customer knowing it's happening. One of the first things I do is turn off my modem's wifi when I get a new installation to prevent this from happening. If you don't, you could potentially have your connection ground to a halt from other customers using your bandwidth (I live next to a coffee shop that doesn't have it's own wifi...that's how I figured out why my bandwidth was so terrible).

I guess it's kind of nice of them to temporarily allow non-comcast customers to use their customer's bandwidth to get some hurricane PR... but it's pretty cynical.

One of the vendors at my job just left me detailed instructions with how she would like furniture arranged, should it arrive on Monday. Aka the day the storm is projected to reach my city. She, of course, will be evacuating on Friday. Just smile, take notes, and scream on the inside.

caffeware

Banned
Official Statement by the Hon. Gaston Browne, Prime Minister of Antigua and Barbuda. September 6th, 2017

My first words must be of thanks.
Thanks to Almighty God in all his forms for standing at our side at a time of great adversity.
There is no doubt that the Good Lord is on our side. We in Antigua have weathered the most powerful hurricane ever to storm its way through the Caribbean and we have done so with stunning results. The forecast was that Antigua would be devastated, our infrastructure demolished, people killed and our economy destroyed.
In the light of day, the picture is very different. In Antigua, no life has been lost – all the people survived. The guests in our hotels are all well. Even our animals were protected from this massive storm. Our airport will be open for flights into and out of Antigua by 2pm today. The people of Antigua should all be very proud of the part that each of them played in our impressive story of readiness and resilience.

I dare to say that no other country in the Caribbean would have been as well prepared as we were.

People heeded the warnings of my government to treat Hurricane Irma with absolute seriousness, and everyone did.
Properties were properly shuttered and protected, and neighbours and friends opened their homes to less fortunate persons to shelter through the long night. There was a chain of brotherhood and sisterhood that strengthened our collective resolve.

The work that the government initiated in advance of the storm paid remarkable dividends. The drains, gutters and reservoirs that were cleared in advance, ensured that the island experienced no flooding, hence eliminating the possibility of water-borne disease. While there has been property damage, it is not anywhere near the horrendous injury that was feared.

The essential point is that our main infrastructure has stood-up and our country can resume normal life within hours.

From early this morning, the Antigua and Barbuda Defence Force has been on the streets clearing fallen trees and debris.
They were followed by contingents from the Solid Waste Unit.

Ours has been an exceptional story of resilience, honed by past experience and by the high level of our preparedness to confront the challenges of the world's mightiest and most dangerous hurricane.

With regard to Barbuda, preliminary reports indicate damage to rooves and to some buildings, but I have had no report of any fatalities. Barbuda too benefited from a high level of readiness, responsive to the urgings of the government and from the preparations that were made in advance, including the shelter constructed for that purpose.

I was able to drive through many areas of Antigua since 5.30 this morning and I was heartened by what I saw. I intend to visit Barbuda at the earliest opportunity to see conditions on the island for myself.

Meantime, it is clear that Antigua and Barbuda has stood up to a mighty test. Our preparedness led to impressive resilience.
Our people are safe, our country is secure and our piece of paradise remains open to be shared by people from all over the world.

God bless you, and God continue to bless our beloved land – Antigua and Barbuda.

I want to believe.

Local Orlando radio station is talking about some tough-guy sheriffs saying that people without IDs will be turned away from shelters. I don't think now is the time to play tough on immigration when a disaster is on your doorstep!

Delta flight managed to land then take off from San Juan as Irma was approaching, incredible.

H8X3ns4.jpg

Holy shit...can't imagine being on that flight. Talking about threading the needle there.

Even if there was no rain, the wind and downdrafts/updrafts must have been insane. That would make normal turbulence look like the kiddy rides at Disneyland by comparison.

SOLDIER

Miami resident here, prepared and dreading Hurricane Irma.

I would have much preferred getting crushed by the soft mounds of Hurricane April.

Lkr

Local Orlando radio station is talking about some tough-guy sheriffs saying that people without IDs will be turned away from shelters. I don't think now is the time to play tough on immigration when a disaster is on your doorstep!
Goddamn I thought we were better than that in Orlando :(

geomon

Miami resident here, prepared and dreading Hurricane Irma.

I would have much preferred getting crushed by the soft mounds of Hurricane April.

Miami-GAF will find each other after the storm and build a new utopia on the rumble of the old.

rambis

Banned
Comcast "hotspots" are just them allowing people to use their customers' cable modems' wifi without the customer knowing it's happening. One of the first things I do is turn off my modem's wifi when I get a new installation to prevent this from happening. If you don't, you could potentially have your connection ground to a halt from other customers using your bandwidth (I live next to a coffee shop that doesn't have it's own wifi...that's how I figured out why my bandwidth was so terrible).

I guess it's kind of nice of them to temporarily allow non-comcast customers to use their customer's bandwidth to get some hurricane PR... but it's pretty cynical.

I mean you agree to it, its not hidden as you are suggesting. But honestly its a great idea that provides wifi in areas you would otherwise not have access to.

UCF Alert: Due to Hurricane Irma, all academic programs/classes are cancelled starting Thursday, Sept. 7. Campus will be closed Sept. 8-11. More info ucf.edu

itshappening.gif
Last year UCF waited until the day before Matthew to close

Looks like UF will be last again this year. They sent out an alert pretty much saying "We're gonna wait and see" earlier.

Setmeni

Goddamn I thought we were better than that in Orlando :(

Doubtful that's an Orlando or Orange County Chief/Sheriff. The Polk County sheriff said that though.

Which isn't shocking because Polk County.

It's not immigration based on the press conference. He's more interested in people with warrants as Lakeland is overrun by criminals right now. It's seriously like living in Gotham.

The current projection cone sucks ass. If it's accurate and it re-enters the Atlantic between Florida and South Carolina could it regain strength from that?

Kusagari

So you get the unhealthy ass chicken tenders sub, but puss out and don't wet that moe-foe down with wing sauce?

You should be banned from getting any more pub subs.

Getting a tenders sub without wing sauce destroys the entire fucking point of it.

It's not immigration based on the press conference. He's more interested in people with warrants as Lakeland is overrun by criminals right now. It's seriously like living in Gotham.
Doing this in the midst of a possible humanitarian crisis isn't the time to do it, though. And what if people don't have IDs? The police can say all they want it has nothing to do with immigration, but it really does.

I actually tried a pub sub with tenders tossed in buffalo sauce and ranch for the first time today,

One of you in this thread suggested it and I'm so sorry for never doing this before wow. That was SO DAMN GOOD.

Lkr

People still need a place to go. Just provide security for everyone there
Looks like UF will be last again this year. They sent out an alert pretty much saying "We're gonna wait and see" earlier.
I figured they would have shut that down already since many people in the northeast region will flee there
I mean you agree to it, its not hidden as you are suggesting. But honestly its a great idea that provides wifi in areas you would otherwise not have access to.
Just buy your own modem and router. No one can use your connection but you can still use any xfinity network that appears

Lkr

I actually tried a pub sub with tenders tossed in buffalo sauce and ranch for the first time today,

One of you in this thread suggested it and I'm so sorry for never doing this before wow. That was SO DAMN GOOD.
They finally added the option to toss with buffalo on the online order. So I checked it and got no buffalo the last time I went. This might be an unpopular opinion, but that sub sucks without the buffalo.

Redmoon

The hotspots should be running on excess bandwidth (perhaps even their own pool) and has a global cap Reguardless of connected devices. This has been my experience at least when dl/ul on both my main and public line, and don't cause slowdowns of my main line. Maybe it's different elsewhere.

Top Bottom