• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

My cousin just landed in Miami for vacation along with his wife and 2 kids. They plan on driving a rental to Orlando like right now.

How screwed are they? Are we looking at a 10 hour drive? You think rental companies are allowing that? I mean, driving straight to a Cat5 area? Is it to late to drive there?!

My sister in Miami is riding this one out. Just had all windows and frames replaced and is sitting just outside a flood zone near the airport. She's staying at a hotel in Miami Springs anyway but a friend of hers is staying at her house in Virginia Gardens.

I'm amazed AA authorized a flight from Sao Paulo to Miami in this scenario really. How many more tourists are landing in Miami with no idea about what to do?!

My nerves are getting wrecked over here...

I'm as dumbfucked as you. Maybe thinking it's not that bad? It's not like Brazilian news are doing live updates on this monster's path anyway.

What I can tell is there's still a lot of flights landing in Miami and Orlando from abroad.

Your cousin and her husband are pretty dumb to pull that move, especially with two kids.

For those thinking of traveling north:

A lady in our hotel had arrived and was saying how she left from West Palm Beach last night at 7 pm, and arrived here in Orlando at around 9 am. So you are looking at a 12+ hr drive at the least.

Of course, this is just one person's experience, but I figured it might help others plan their trip.

Good luck everyone, and be safe. Buy water every chance you get.

Holy shit.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
Finally managed to convince my friend to leave miami and get his ass over here to NJ, he's driving with his family, wife and 2 little girls, thank god.

Z3M0G

Katia, Irma, and Jose

LDEu7Dn.gif

http://i.imgur.com/k1FH1mR.mp4

OH RIGHT! I forgot about that site...

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=293.32,36.62,671

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
New NHC Forecast compared to previous:

giphy.gif

I'm in Gainesville, my apartment sent out a notice telling residents to not board up windows. They figure damage done by boarding up will be worse than the storm. I agree it shouldn't be bad here but explicitly telling your residents to not prepare to their comfort level doesn't sit well for me.

Also they are doing cosmetic construction on my building's siding right now. The workers have been just leaving their materials out in the parking lot. I'm hoping they take it all off site so that I don't have loose wood flying around during a cat 3.

Also in Gainesville, so much nearby consruction. Stay safe

I have to work tomorrow and Sunday at the beaches in North Florida. I wonder if I should call offor tomorrow as well as Sunday.

I just don't wanna be stuck at the beach side of town if people really start panicking to leave late Saturday evening. I can imagine being unable to come home after work due to traffic or the bridges closing.

Live in Wesley Chapel, in a townhouse with three windows total. Wife and I stocked up on food, water, portable chargers, and pet supplies as we ride it out.

Trying to convince her parents who live in a mobile home in Dade City to stay with us or go to a shelter. They're being stubborn though.

The latest advisory that has it weakening into a tropical depression in northern Georgia is better news for those in Atlanta, natives and evacuees alike. If that's the case, my family will be riding it out in this cabin near Atlanta. The question after that will be when we can get out back to Miami and how long it will take. Hopefully we can get on a plane instead of having another insanely long car trip back to Miami.

Wag

I told my elderly parents to go hide in the bathroom for the night.

My parents cheaped out and didn't get storm shutters for their house and have a glass enclosed porch with a tin roof. Well...

Lkr

Live in Wesley Chapel, in a townhouse with three windows total. Wife and I stocked up on food, water, portable chargers, and pet supplies as we ride it out.

Trying to convince her parents who live in a mobile home in Dade City to stay with us or go to a shelter. They're being stubborn though.
Dade county AND a mobile home? They should get out

Dade county AND a mobile home? They should get out

No, Dade City. It's in Zephyrhills, which is also considered Pasco County, actually a little more inland than us.

We're just very worried since the home isn't in the best shape and fear any strong wind will topple it. Wife is on the phone now trying to get them to come over tomorrow morning/afternoon.

Gattsu25

Banned
Who said this?
That was my read after seeing this new projection. Looks to be much slower and with a higher chance of spending more time over ground, which normally weakens hurricanes.
New NHC Forecast compared to previous:

giphy.gif
Weaker is good, but isn't slower bad?
Yeah, that's a risk.

-----
Again, this is just my take on the new projections. I recommend listening to the experts over myself.

Just talked to my folks in Ft Myers. They "aren't worried". They have 48 bottles of water and a freezer full of food, their words. My dad grudgingly put the hurricane shutters up. They need more water. My mom said she's going out today to try and find some "if she sees it".

This is them taking it seriously.

sflufan

Banned
A significant slowdown is awful as it will spend more time feeding off of the warm waters of the Florida Straits.

There is NOTHING good about it slowing down, nothing at all.

Looking at the psychedelic website it seems like here in Atlanta about 25 mph winds are going to be the upper end. That would be great news.

DOWN

Banned
The last set of 4’s weren’t that crazy in Palm Beach County tbh. Some of y’all are scaring yourselves. You can calmly supply up my friends.

Just talked to my folks in Ft Myers. They "aren't worried". They have 48 bottles of water and a freezer full of food, their words. My dad grudgingly put the hurricane shutters up. They need more water. My mom said she's going out today to try and find some "if she sees it".

The new westward track shows a possible direct hit on Ft. Myers unfortunately. Could easily change again though.

Alebrije

But it could return to cat 5 due to warm water near Florida, right?

Anyway even a cat4 is very dangerous, basically nothing changes.

Lkr

That's a whole case of water each, doesn't sound too bad tbh
UCF finally decided to cancel their football game lol

MrNelson

Banned
My sister

It's still likely to be a Cat 4 at landfall, maybe 5 if it spends enough time over the water and stays off Cuba. That's still enough to fuck a lot of shit up, and the storm surge it had built up while a Cat 5 all that time will not be diminished just because it is currently sitting 5 mph below Cat 5 classification.

Dinokill

I'm in a Zone D zone In Sarasota and the projection is that when Irma gets here it will be a CAT3 hurricane. Finally some "good" news after all this shitshow.

The last set of 4’s weren’t that crazy in Palm Beach County tbh. Some of y’all are scaring yourselves. You can calmly supply up my friends.
Frances/Jeanne? Those weren't Cat 4. They were 2 and 3 when they hit Palm Beach County. And I was out of school for like 2 weeks as a result.

Kusagari

What are you even talking about? When was the last time a 4+ even threatened Palm Beach? Because Charley didn't.

It's going to be extremely Erie in this thread when the towers/power goes down and none of us can communicate any more.(at least the ones not leaving.) Keep the thread alive for us, talk about chicken tender subs while were gone

Something else, with out power(cause it will go away) for weeks a lot of people won't be able to track jose. Fucking a this is bad. If you have the means to leave, go.

Lkr

Frances/Jeanne? Those weren't Cat 4. They were 2 and 3 when they hit Palm Beach County. And I was out of school for like 2 weeks as a result.
I feel like we missed a month of school in Orange in 04. Charley did most of the damage and frances and Jeanne just added on a bit.

Top Bottom