• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 | OT3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razor554

Messiii. 1-0. Barca is playing amazing football in Tata's first game at the bench. And we dont even have Neygod in field yet

If Arsenal had kept RVP, do you think they would have competed for the title.

United certainly wouldn't have won it. How many points was RVP worth to them. 10-15 ish?

Why wouldn't we have won it without RVP? If he was worth 10 points to us, we'd still have won it because we won the league by 11 points, despite going into cruise control for the last few games since the league was already wrapped up.

Sane_Man

I've got nothing against them. For the most part their supporters are a sound bunch. But their annual 4th-place trophy giving some of them such a holier-than-thou attitude is ridiculous considering they're without silverware for nearly a decade.

We actually won something 2 seasons ago. Shit cup but Arsenal fans would pimp out their own Grandma's for it if they were being truthful. In all honesty I have nothing against Arsenal. They're a good club that do business in a responsible way, but this Suarez stuff is just absolute bollocks and it makes no sense for Suarez to move there.

LNBL

What's wrong with saying Arsenal have a chance to win the CL compared to Liverpool? We do as we're actually in the competition, is it good chance? No, seeing as we'll be competing against RM, Bayern, Barca, Juve, Man Utd and the likes. Anyways I don't want to start a my club is better than yours argument, so I'll just leave it at this.

Arsenal still has to qualify for the CL right?

Brinbe

TadkV.gif

jtb

Banned
You're missing my point. I agree that finishing a couple of points off first is competing for the title but how can you make a distinction between the target of winning the title or the target of missing out on the title by 2 points? It makes no sense. It's one game! Arsenal are not title contenders because there's no way you finish a few points off 1st. It'll be a bigger gap than last year.

I disagree. I think Arsenal will finish 3rd or 4th (okay, we'll finish 4th) but I don't think the gap will be anywhere as near as you think it will be. United, City, Chelsea, and Spurs won't all have perfect seasons (Arsenal too, for that matter), and 3 or those four have new managers so there's bound to be some kinks to work out. We've got a solid, unspectacular squad that's not as bad as people make it out to be, but still obviously not quite at the level of competing for the title. I don't think it's out of the question to say that 2-3 quality signings in the right positions could put us into title contention. Outside of City, I don't think any of the other top 5 squads are unassailable.

We've been shedding our best players year after year and replacing them with shit and we're still clinging on to 4th. Stop the rot, bring in some new players... call me an optimist, but the title beckons!

Sane_Man

I disagree. I think Arsenal will finish 3rd or 4th (okay, we'll finish 4th) but I don't think the gap will be anywhere as near as you think it will be. United, City, Chelsea, and Spurs won't all have perfect seasons (Arsenal too, for that matter), and 3 or those four have new managers so there's bound to be some kinks to work out. We've got a solid, unspectacular squad that's not as bad as people make it out to be, but still obviously not quite at the level of competing for the title. I don't think it's out of the question to say that 2-3 quality signings in the right positions could put us into title contention. Outside of City, I don't think any of the other top 5 squads are unassailable.

I don't see it, but I hope you're right. Liverpool were really strong in the second half of last season and our most effective players in that period (Coutinho and Strurridge) have barely had time to settle in. Add to that Lucas regaining form and the new signings as well as potentially Papadopoulos and Costa and if Arsenal really can push for 3rd of 4th then I see no reason why Liverpool can't.

I should again point out that I don't believe Liverpool will finish 3rd of 4th, my point is that as it stands now I don't see a huge gap between us and Arsenal.

L1NETT

We did 3 points better without RVP this season than with him in 2011/2012.

Yeah selling RVP was a really good decision wasn't it. Good point.

Edit: Ugh please ignore Piers Moron. What he did when he was editor of the Mirror was horrendous.

phaze

I'd take Hodgson instead of Wenger. Real Talk.

Yeah selling RVP was a really good decision wasn't it. Good point.

Edit: Ugh please ignore Piers Moron. What he did when he was editor of the Mirror was horrendous.

Of course it wasn't. With him up the front we would probably do even better. But it's not like his departure was some killer blow for us. The new arrivals and the rest of the team managed to step up and fill the void.

jtb

Banned
Wenger was such a fucking idiot last season, transfer-wise. Selling Song w/o replacement, idiotic. and imo, he should've just let RVP leave on a free or took a reduced fee from Juve. What's the point of 20m if you're not going to spend it?

I'd take Hodgson instead of Wenger. Real Talk.

I wouldn't. Wenger needs a DOF-type though.

Razor554

Pedro is a bit useless tho. Bring Neygod in, Tata pls

e: right after this post he makes nice header assist to Iniesta who almost scores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom