• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dadasch

Watzke said that an agreement is near, but nothing is signed yet. So it appears the rumours are very true, but I do hope that it's 120 mio and not 110 or less. Also: The Bonus conditions are hopefully nothing too crazy...

sammex

538 CL odds

DIA_oUjXgAAdmZ3.jpg

Audioboxer

Ibrahimovic's full interview with ESPN about resigning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmw-t-h-l8c

Dude just wants that EPL medal. Better hope Mourinho can out-fraud the rest this season. I'm sure Zlatan will get paid nicely even for a duff season at United, but he genuinely wants that medal.

His CL medal hopes are buried, so he'll need to be happy with a Europa League medal. Maybe should have signed for Arsenal on a free this season to get that 100% guaranteed 2nd Europa League medal. Could be his biggest mistake signing for United. I would have gone with Arsenal. Wenger is going to tear the world apart in these final 2 seasons. Trophies everywhere.

MikeBison

Just realized Dembele is gonna be the world's second most expensive player if he does move to Barca.

Rules have gone out the window. Neymar most expensive. This kid the second most expensive. Then Mbappe will likely leapfrog him.

The real winners are United who get to hide a little from the fact that they spent £89 million on Paul fucking Pogba. The fraud. Can't be having him is the most expensive player of all time.

Audioboxer

Rules have gone out the window. Neymar most expensive. This kid the second most expensive. Then Mbappe will likely leapfrog him.

The real winners are United who get to hide a little from the fact that they spent £89 million on Paul fucking Pogba. The fraud. Can't be having him is the most expensive player of all time.

image.php

2nd ava quote today.

Pogba wasn't worth 89m when he moved, but he's one of the rawest talents in flamboyant midfielders. Give him one more season with Matic in a side and he'll be someone Real Madrid will be wanting to sign for around £100m. He's 24, by 26 he'll be one of the best in the world in central midfield. Not as a fucking holding midfielder, but box to box.

You mean United got him on a bargain. Not even 12 months later hyperinflation kicked in.

Audioboxer

You mean United got him on a bargain. Not even 12 months later hyperinflation kicked in.

70~75m should have been tops for Pogba if you ask me. Making him the most expensive player in the world at that time was a mistake. The good thing is the world has gone crazy and now Pogba can stop being the focus of all the criticism that is 200% worse when you're the most expensive. He had a poor first season due to being played incorrectly and having that price tag.

Now there are no excuses, Matic is here to be the holding midfielder and the most expensive tag is gone. I expect a good season this year, with development, furthering the aim to be one of the best if not the best in the world by 26~27 in his position.

If United cannot hold onto Pogba in a few years they will at least make a decent profit.

Tottenham have a nice sequence of games...

Oct 17 - Real Madrid vs Spurs
Oct 22 - Spurs v Liverpool
Oct 28 - Man Utd v Spurs
Nov 01 - Spurs vs Real Madrid

MikeBison

image.php

2nd ava quote today.

Pogba wasn't worth 89m when he moved, but he's one of the rawest talents in flamboyant midfielders. Give him one more season with Matic in a side and he'll be someone Real Madrid will be wanting to sign for around £100m. He's 24, by 26 he'll be one of the best in the world in central midfield. Not as a fucking holding midfielder, but box to box.

But what does he really do? Is it lots of goals? No. lots of assists? No. well then he's a destroyer who breaks up play? No, he can't tackle. For anywhere near the fees he went for, Man needs to do more than spray a few cross field passes around.

YouTube player. He started last season ok as well. Couple of goals and assists and totally dried up. Feel free to do the avatar quote and come back in two years as he would fade into obscurity if not for his obsession with being in the spotlight for anything other than his footballing ability.

70~75m should have been tops for Pogba if you ask me. Making him the most expensive player in the world at that time was a mistake. The good thing is the world has gone crazy and now Pogba can stop being the focus of all the criticism that is 200% worse when you're the most expensive. He had a poor first season due to being played incorrectly and having that price tag.

Now there are no excuses, Matic is here to be the holding midfielder and the most expensive tag is gone. I expect a good season this year, with development, furthering the aim to be one of the best if not the best in the world by 26~27 in his position.

If United cannot hold onto Pogba in a few years they will at least make a decent profit.
He had a first poor season for a 84m player for sure but not all was bad. He can show of some decent stats considering our goal tally and general offensive play was an absolute disgrace.

Audioboxer

But what does he really do? Is it lots of goals? No. lots of assists? No. well then he's a destroyer who breaks up play? No, he can't tackle. For anywhere near the fees he went for, Man needs to do more than spray a few cross field passes around.

YouTube player. He started last season ok as well. Couple of goals and assists and totally dried up. Feel free to do the avatar quote and come back in two years as he would fade into obscurity if not for his obsession with being in the spotlight for anything other than his footballing ability.

You're right, Man Utd should really just cut their losses and sell him to Newcastle for 7.5m tbh. He might give Jonjo Shelvey a run for his place.

Good guy Hummels btw ~ http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40958871

MikeBison

You're right, Man Utd should really just cut their losses and sell him to Newcastle for 7.5m tbh. He might give Jonjo Shelvey a run for his place.

Good guy Hummels btw ~ http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40958871

Just shouldn't have bought him in the first place. Seemed more like a marketing deal for adidas than anything else. The way he was announced was shambolic. Stormzy rapping and stupid hashtags and emoji sets? How about just a picture of him signing.

Audioboxer

Just shouldn't have bought him in the first place. Seemed more like a marketing deal for adidas than anything else. The way he was announced was shambolic. Stormzy rapping and stupid hashtags and emoji sets? How about just a picture of him signing.

I can agree to the marketing garbage, but not sign at all? Pretty certain Pogba is better than Fellaini, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Rooney (last few seasons form) and Herrera (as an attacking player). Herrera is a slightly more attacking focused Carrick, but still more about ball-winning/hold up play than attacking. Matic is an out and out Carrick replacement. Pogba has pace, can dribble, is strong as fuck, can pass a ball even if he's still a bit rough here, and he can finish/score from range, but again finishing needs improvement. There is potential and ability, it just needs to be worked on.

Man Utd have been stuffed with holding midfielders or defensive midfielders for years. We needed a flamboyant attacking central midfielder with potential at a youngish age. I said Pogba was expensive, but to suggest not sign at all means you're going to have to give me the answer to who they should have signed instead? The wrong answer is no one, because as I just said our central midfield has been fucking terrible for years when it comes to attacking quality.

Like it or not even in an average first season Pogba still helped the club to a Europa League trophy. While not that prestigious it put the club back into the CL and the other EPL clubs would hardly turn their noses up at winning the Europa League. Considering no Premier League club is winning the CL.

edit: IIRC Pogba hit the woodwork like 8 or 9 times last season. A little bit more precision, focus and luck and a central midfielder getting into double figures for goals is good. As I said he needs to work on finishing, but hopefully this season Matic allows him to be more attacking. Already 2 goals in 2 games.

near

Gold Member
Pogba is a beast in the midfield, and if we're beyond questioning he's football ability and moved onto he's value for money, he's also a fucking beast in merchandising for Utd. Win win win.

MikeBison

Pogba is a beast in the midfield, and if we're beyond questioning he's football ability and moved onto he's value for money, he's also a fucking beast in merchandising for Utd. Win win win.

The merchandising argument. When you can't argue a players value on the pitch.

Exit Gent, exit Oostende, exit Bruges. God, all our teams are unbelievably shit this year. Anderlecht is likely to exit with 0/18 and then Zulte Waregem is the only team who is likely to scrabble some points together.

near

Gold Member

There is no merchandising argument, nor one that involves he's value on the pitch, they're both evident on there own. If we're discussing Pogba's value for money while taking into account the price inflation in football across the board then there is no argument here at all. Pogba is absolute value for money. If you want to discuss if any player is worth £89m then that's a separate topic.

Weird how many United fans became experts (not) in shirt sales when they announced Pogba.

I'm no united fan.

Audioboxer

Weird how many United fans became experts (not) in shirt sales when they announced Pogba.

I mean, you're not wrong calling it cringey/pathetic/sad/etc, but you're wrong if you want to start attacking the actual finances that come from player marketing

Manchester United has once again top the shirts sale charts in 2016 after recruiting big name players in Ibrahimovic, Paul Pogba and Henrik Mikhiratyan. The sales sky rocketed at the start of the 2016-17 season with over 40% increase compared to last year. Ibrahimovic and Pogba Jersey's selling the most in England and worldwide in general. Only Real Madrid came close to United's shirt sale numbers after Spanish giants saw a whooping 32% increase in shirt sales.

7UfmCNm.png

caygbU8.png

Source: http://www.totalsportek.com/football/clubs-with-most-shirt-sales/

And Sports Direct's latest shirt sales list provides even more encouraging reading for Adidas. Pogba and Ibrahimovic's arrival proves that even out of the Champions League, United can still attract the kind of big names that can drive merchandise sales.

Pogba's popularity in particular will be toasted among company execs. The young midfielder is an Adidas-sponsored athlete on a deal worth a reported £3m a year.

KJ5VVIp.png

Source: http://www.cityam.com/251501/adidas-stand-profit-manchester-uniteds-paul-pogba-tops

Ronaldo and Messi get whored out just as much as any other "big player" does. Financially Pogba does pull his weight which is why the club whores him out across social media and with marketing.

But yeah, no one really gives a shit about what Pogbas new haircut is, unless you're a 12 year old Man Utd fan.

MikeBison

There is no merchandising argument, nor one that involves he's value on the pitch, they're both evident on there own. If we're discussing Pogba's value for money while taking into account the price inflation in football across the board then there is no argument here at all. Pogba is absolute value for money. If you want to discuss if any player is worth £89m then that's a separate topic.

I'm no united fan.

No, I'd want to argue his value for money on the pitch when signed a year ago. Fuck it, lets even say during this mad window. Spend £90m on a player, he should deliver. But again, no united fan can tell me what makes him one of the most valuable players in the history of the game. It ain't goals. It ain't assists. It ain't tackling or breaking up play. It's apparently a few diagonal sprays. However you cut it, pay that much for a player and they should deliver almost instantly.

I mean, you're not wrong calling it cringey/pathetic/sad/etc, but you're wrong if you want to start attacking the actual finances that come from player marketing

Ronaldo and Messi get whored out just as much as any other "big player" does. Financially Pogba does pull his weight which is why the club whores him out across social media and with marketing.

But yeah, no one really gives a shit about what Pogbas new haircut is, unless you're a 12 year old Man Utd fan.

Don't clubs only get like 10% of shirt sales?

MikeBison

7UfmCNm.png

caygbU8.png

http://www.totalsportek.com/football/clubs-with-most-shirt-sales/

KJ5VVIp.png

Source: http://www.cityam.com/251501/adidas-stand-profit-manchester-uniteds-paul-pogba-tops

Ronaldo and Messi get whored out just as much as any other big player would be.

My point is, I fully couldn't give a shit. I'd rather a player delivered on the pitch than sold shirts if he signed for my club. One usually follows the other. I also remember waiting until a player delivered before getting their name on a shirt (not that I've ever done it, it's also cringeworthy, but I get it)

Oh and messi and Ronaldo have proved to be arguably (!) the 2 best players in the history of the game. So, whore away. Pogba has stupid haircuts going for him.

Audioboxer

Don't clubs only get like 10% of shirt sales?

Well, what United mainly got was a 750m marketing deal with Adidas. So, part of what goes on to securing such a deal is something like Adidas shirts/merchandising making bank from the fans.

Contrary to received wisdom, that doesn't mean United will be directly recouping the £160m shelled out on transfers this summer.

Instead, it's Adidas who will be making back the £75m paid out to United. The vast majority of money raised from kit sales will go to the suppliers who have paid huge fees to licence a Premier League brand.

After signing the deal, Adidas predicted that by the end of the 10 year partnership the company would generate £1.5bn in sales from Manchester United merchandise.

Early signs are good — the firm enjoyed record football sales of €2.2bn (£1.7bn) last year.

And Sports Direct's latest shirt sales list provides even more encouraging reading for Adidas.

It's all linked as to why merchandising is such a powerhouse part of club finances.

My point is, I fully couldn't give a shit. I'd rather a player delivered on the pitch than sold shirts if he signed for my club. One usually follows the other. I also remember waiting until a player delivered before getting their name on a shirt (not that I've ever done it, it's also cringeworthy, but I get it)

Oh and messi and Ronaldo have proved to be arguably (!) the 2 best players in the history of the game. So, whore away. Pogba has stupid haircuts going for him.

Okay, but he's had one season at United. Let's see what happens this year. Sounds like you've got a bit of irrational Pogba hate in you, and that's coming from a United fan who'll slam all the cringey marketing and criticise Pogba on the park no problem. It's just objectively looking at him anyone with a pair of eyes should see there is ability, and there is lots of potential. In a United side starved of central midfield attacking quality for years too it does feel good to have someone like Pogba in the current lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom