• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Rex.

Banned
So that's Ox and Van Dijk wanting to join us over the other big clubs, mad. It wasn't too long ago that the likes of Sigurðsson were turning us down for Spurs lool

Klopp <3

Floody

Ox is a weird guy. Turns down a 150k-180k pw and Chelsea too for us. I would say he has some sort of agreement with us that we'll play him in his preferred position, but we don't even seem to be going all that hard for him. Don't even think we've put in a bid yet.

Sterling and Lacazette could be pretty good together. Is there any truth to the rumours though? He's been one of City's better players so far too right?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
According to some decent sources on Twitter, LFC are still after Lemar, AOC wants Liverpool, but it's one or the other.

Please let it be Lemar, it can be my birthday and Christmas presents combined, please.

Ox wants a role as a CAM rather than wing back apparently

If that's true then he's an idiot to want to go to LFC.

T-Rex.

Banned
I rate him tbh. End product aside, I think he's fantastic at picking the ball up and breaking through the lines to support the attack, something we massively struggle with against the bus parking teams when we're missing Lallana/Coutinho or if they're having a bad game. The more options in our squad that have that ability the better.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
*Cancels Ox Chelsea jersey*

Based on what I have seen, it's still 50/50. If we get Lemar, he's all yours. Tbh I am just glad we are now able to compete with Chelsea for players, we have been feeding on scraps for over a decade now.

casiopao

Hopefully they'll get everything sorted out soon. Juve couldn't carry the whole league alone.

I am more optimisitic about Napoli actually there.

Their main 11 is soo good right now except backline. And their depth for the mid is also great. If they can further improve the team, i can see them go further deeper in UCL and help Serie A coeffision point.( in all this recent years, literally on Juventus is bringing those point for Serie A lol.)

Markitron

I am more optimisitic about Napoli actually there.

Their main 11 is soo good right now except backline. And their depth for the mid is also great. If they can further improve the team, i can see them go further deeper in UCL and help Serie A coeffision point.( in all this recent years, literally on Juventus is bringing those point for Serie A lol.)

What would the Italian teams need to achieve to get that 4th UCL spot back and how soon could they do it? Bayern's 2013 win will stop counting from next year and Juve have been in 2 finals since then.

Chelsea should just buy Lemar now.

Aren't they specifically looking for English players?

Atomic Odin

https://twitter.com/BSmith/status/902791843062185984

Ben Smith&#8207;Verified account
@BSmith
Following
More
Oxlade-Chamberlain turns down Chelsea, wants to join #LFC. Their move for Thomas Lemar is ongoing but it's one or t'other. Not both.

I was fine with us getting AOC but that was before the arsenal game when we all thought this window was going to be a wasteland for us. Still confident we'll get Lemar, Monaco haven't outright rejected the (pretty decent) third bid. Has to be today though.

GHG

https://twitter.com/BSmith/status/902791843062185984

I was fine with us getting AOC but that was before the arsenal game when we all thought this window was going to be a wasteland for us. Still confident we'll get Lemar, Monaco haven't outright rejected the (pretty decent) third bid. Has to be today though.

I want Liverpool to get Lemar and for Ox to be stuck at Arsenal rotting in the reserves missing out on the World Cup.

It's not like we are winning anything anyway this season, even if we somehow managed to get Lemar over Liverpool so I may as well get some entertainment out of it. It also avoids the scenario where Wenger ruins yet another young gifted player.

Markitron

According to Sky, Barca are still after Di Maria. If this is true they have probably given up on Coutinho.

I want Liverpool to get Lemar and for Ox to be stuck at Arsenal rotting in the reserves missing out on the World Cup

If he goes to Chelsea, he will probably miss the World Cup anyway, and Arsenal can spend that money on someone else.

Atomic Odin

I want Liverpool to get Lemar and for Ox to be stuck at Arsenal rotting in the reserves missing out on the World Cup.

It's not like we are winning anything anyway this season, even if we somehow managed to get Lemar over Liverpool so I may as well get some entertainment out of it. It also avoids the scenario where Wenger ruins yet another young gifted player.

I think you guys are better off with him than getting Sterling as part exchange but that's just me. But yes his fascination for a CM spot is bemusing when he is better off on the wings. Lemar thing is just down to Wenger and his stubbornness/ lack of action.

According to Sky, Barca are still after Di Maria. If this is true they have probably given up on Coutinho.

There's still that final &#8364;160m bid they are supposed to be preparing..

GHG

If he goes to Chelsea, he will probably miss the World Cup anyway, and Arsenal can spend that money on someone else.

He's not going to Chelsea because he doesn't want to be a wingback when he would be a nailed on starter for a team that can potentially win back to back titles. Spoilt brat. He's played less than 10 games for us in central midfield, why does he think he will displace seasoned professionals like Fabregas, Kante, Bakayoko, Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum, Lallana, etc? Chelsea are also in the process of signing Drinkwater to fill out their CM spots.

He can't even get ahead of Ramsey, Xhaka, El Neny and Coqelain for fucks sake. Have a word with yourself lad.

oilvomer

I am struggling to see OX motivation here, no player (well very few) should ever be allowed to dictate where they will play (didn't Walcott try it at Arsenal, when he saw himself as a striker?)

Don't get me wrong, I don't see the point going to Chelsea if playing is your main aim here, as he wont be first choice there, but the same is true at LFC, if he will only play in midfield.

GHG

Imagine going home to your wife and telling her that you turned down a job offer that pays triple what you currently earn because you don't want to do the profession you're currently trained in, you wanted them to take you on and retrain you to be a lawyer or something instead.

Banter.

This idea of Ox rotting on the bench is hilarious.

We were spending £30m-£40m on him. How many players who we have spent that sort of money on have just been benched?

Moses cost £8m or something, do some maths

Markitron

We were spending £30m-£40m on him. How many players who we have spent that sort of money on have just been benched?

I think the suggestion is more that he will end up on the bench as he isn't good enough to break into Chelsea's first 11, even at WB.

TimmmV

I'd be happy to take Ox if it was to build up the squad size a bit - the performances at the moment are kind of hiding the fact that our squad is pretty thin if one more player gets injured now.

But if its either/or with Lemar then there is no way we should be considering Ox unless its impossible to get Lemar before the deadline. TBH I would even be happy with really pushing for Lemar and then trying to get Ox on a bosman in January, if hes prepared to reject Chelsea for Liverpool now, it might be worth it. Especially if Arsenal are asking for £40m for him

He's not going to Chelsea because he doesn't want to be a wingback when he would be a nailed on starter for a team that can potentially win back to back titles. Spoilt brat. He's played less than 10 games for us in central midfield, why does he think he will displace seasoned professionals like Fabregas, Kante, Bakayoko, Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum, Lallana, etc? Chelsea are also in the process of signing Drinkwater to fill out their CM spots.

He can't even get ahead of Ramsey, Xhaka, El Neny and Coqelain for fucks sake. Have a word with yourself lad.

I would play most of those players in CM ahead of Ox too, but tbf to him, you don't ask you don't get. If thats what he wants then he has to back himself and make the change - this is also why I don't really fault a player for moving to a bigger team when they will probably just be a bench player

Rodgers is a good manager though.

If Arsenal go for Rodgers after Wenger goes he will be worse than Moyes for United.

He's ok/good tactically but lets his ego get in the way of things, and wasn't very good at signing players.

T-Rex.

Banned
Cy1Ki3AXEAAhul_.jpg
DIYWg9zXoAA_7wM.jpg
Under the right manager he could be a very good player tbh.

(From Ted Knutson on Twitter)

Atomic Odin

If Arsenal go for Rodgers after Wenger goes he will be worse than Moyes for United.

He's ok/good tactically but lets his ego get in the way of things, and wasn't very good at signing players.

Judging by most (well most of who I knew) Arsenal fans' opinion of him when he was with us I don't expect anything less than a riot there

Markitron

I liked Rodgers more than most, but agree with this. He would be a disastrous replacement for Wenger. He doesn't have the character for a big club.

When Spur's squad breaks up and Poch fucks off to PSG/Barca, he would be a good choice to pick up the pieces there.

GHG

Lacazette would like a word.

Bersi

What would the Italian teams need to achieve to get that 4th UCL spot back and how soon could they do it? Bayern's 2013 win will stop counting from next year and Juve have been in 2 finals since then.

Aren't they specifically looking for English players?
Uhm,serie a already got the 4th spot back since this year thanks to that new cl rule,also epl was the closest in terms of ranking not bundes,but none of it matters anymore.

I think the suggestion is more that he will end up on the bench as he isn't good enough to break into Chelsea's first 11, even at WB.

He'll get his chance and games, it's up to him to prove he should stay in that position.

Conte obviously thinks he's good enough to do it otherwise he wouldn't have pushed for him

Lacazette would like a word.

Lacazette doesn't play for Chelsea unless something happened whilst I slept and I said "we"… I'm no Arsenal fan. Any top player who willingly signs for arsenal at this point is just dumb

Atomic Odin

Guillem Balague&#8207;Verified account
@GuillemBalague
Following
More
Coutinho: LFC's signings/negotiations independent of his future. They insist they not selling. No new FCB offer has arrived at this point

GHG

He'll get his chance and games, it's up to him to prove he should stay in that position.

Conte obviously thinks he's good enough to do it otherwise he wouldn't have pushed for him

Lacazette doesn't play for Chelsea unless something happened whilst I slept and I said "we"… I'm no Arsenal fan. Any top player who willingly signs for arsenal at this point is just dumb

You're a closet Arsenal fan, we all know it.

I missed the "we"

The moment when Ox goes to Liverpool only to replace James Milner as a makeshift left back.

Markitron

Uhm,serie a already got the 4th spot back since this year thanks to that new cl rule,also epl was the closest in terms of ranking not bundes,but none of it matters anymore.

I actually didn't know that. So why is the coefficient important then? Is the French league getting close to Serie A now?

Pachimari

I kind of want to fix Arsenal in FM2018 although I'm not a fan of them or any of the Premier League clubs. Or maybe take Southampton go glory although I know nothing about the club.

It will be a fucking shit day if Di Maria ever signs for Barca. Di Maria is like one of my favorite Real Madrid players ever.

TimmmV

I actually didn't know that. So why is the coefficient important then? Is the French league getting close to Serie A now?

Last time I checked, the French league was catching up to the Portugese one

Monaco and PSG doing well in last years CL might have changed that though, so that could well be the case now

Bersi

For the first 4 leagues it doesn'matter anymore,all have 4 teams that from the next year will have direct access to the cl without any playoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom