• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Imagine saying ''At least we aren't Arsenal'' as a fucking Everton fan

What a time to be alive!

At this point I would be surprised if Arsenal finished above them, which is mental when you think about it.

I have no idea how Kola and Lacz didn't start against Liverpool. Wenger's game plan whatever it was was all sorts of bad.

It also feels like 3 at the back doesn't work for Arsenal.

When Arsenal bought Lacz I actually thought maybe they will finally have a good transfer window...LOL
Yeah, I thought that too. Then Welbeck came back and has been doing well playing on the left and suddenly it's like 'well, hes a striker' even though I've been really impressed with his work down the wing and I haven't really rated him before.

I have no idea what Wenger was doing with shipping off Mustafi & Gabriel when you guys are starting to play with 3 at the back.
This is it though. I can put up with crap sales and crap buys but something like this defies logic and reason.

faridmon

At this point I would be surprised if Arsenal finished above them, which is mental when you think about it.

While I would love that to happen, I can see Arsenal pulling their usual 4th spot trophy business. I can never count Arsenal out, even though they didn't do it last season.

7th Place is whee we at the moment :(

ElyrionX

I'm still amused that Man United are happy to try to play this season with Doghouse Shaw, Blind, Rojo and Darmian as their left back choices.

Even last weekend Mahrez did what he wanted of Blind everytime Leicester dared to attack. Can't imagine what a team like City or Liverpool would do to United just by exploiting their left back weakness.

Also they still need a pure right winger in my opinion. I like Mata but he's not a right winger.

Wait what. Shaw and Rojo are excellent though the latter is probably better at CB. Darmian is okayish. As for Blind, I have no idea why he's still in the squad.

Yeah, I thought that too. Then Welbeck came back and has been doing well playing on the left and suddenly it's like 'well, hes a striker' even though I've been really impressed with his work down the wing and I haven't really rated him before.

Sure, Welbeck had some good games but I don't see him as someone who can actually stretch defense and move people OOP. You bought Lac and Kola to provide something both of which were sorely missing in the Liverpool game. Obviously Wenger had some game plan in mind that did not work at all.

Sure, Welbeck had some good games but I don't see him as someone who can actually stretch defense and move people OOP. You bought Lac and Kola to provide something both of which were sorely missing in the Liverpool game. Obviously Wenger had some game plan in mind that did not work at all.
Maybe I've just lost a bit of faith in Wenger but I have no idea how that can be a 'game plan' or any idea what the fuck he was trying to achieve.

TeddyBoy

All of those sound very much like moves towards a European super league tbh

It's because it is, they are mostly concessions as a way to keep the big clubs from just straight up leaving UEFA.

I get a lot of stick from both GAF and real life for my opinion that a European Super League is almost inevitable. Moves like this from UEFA delay that as the biggest clubs just want all the pie and couldn't care less about the smaller ones.

Chelsea paid £33M for Michy Batshuayi and spent an entire year on the bench.

You know what? Fair point.

Although I would say that ox is up against Moses and Michy was competing with Diego when we didnt have champions league either. The plan was for Michy to play more this season, so we'll see how that goes.

MikeBison

It's just exciting to be involved in deadline day madness as a Liverpool fan. The story out of our camp is usually 'maybe a few outgoings, no one new coming in.'

Embrace it, Jurgen. Start throwing silly cash at Monaco and Southampton. Be a baller.

3pOLc6d.jpg

Aurier to Tottenham maybe done

I like how Liverpool are signing a lot of brothers in the team. Not to long ago I was asking myself, why doesn't Liverpool have a lot of brown players in their team. Since Klopp arrived, there has been a lot of them in the team.

Floody

I wonder if the Arsenal board know they're still in a European competition, even though they didn't get top 4. Their squad will be so thin if they get rid of Sanchez, Ox, Mustafi and Perez too and add to that how often they pile up the injuries and they could be absolutely fucked at the midway point of the season.

I do feel for the fans though, the club is just taking the piss at this point. Also, sad seeing Wenger pissing away his Legacy.

MikeBison

I like how Liverpool are signing a lot of brothers in the team. Not to long ago I was asking myself, why doesn't Liverpool have a lot of brown players in their team. Since Klopp arrived, there has been a lot of them in the team.

Got the 3 best/most expensive players in Africa now. Albeit one joining up with us in a year.

Atomic Odin

Paul Joyce reporting that Arsenal are seriously pissed at Ox and are doing business just so they can cut ties with him as early as possible.

Also says Klopp is prepared to play him in midfield.

Got the 3 best/most expensive players in Africa now. Albeit one joining up with us in a year.

Yup

List of guys just around the 1st team
Gomez
Gini
Matip
Clyne
Mane
Salah
Sturridge
TAA
Sakho (at one point)
Origi

Hopefuls are
Lemar

Next year
Keita
de Souza (work visa permitting) ...yeah he's Brazilian but 99% of white folks will say he is brown.

T-Rex.

Banned
I'm really happy with Ox if it goes through. Said it when the rumours first started before last season even ended, I think he's perfect for the Lallana role. Apparently we want both him and Lemar btw.

Obviously the money's mental, but I don't care. We've had a shit squad for far too long and it's part of the reason why we don't win things anymore.

TimmmV

Going from Klopp saying "Lallana will be like a new signing" to potentially buying Lemar and Ox, and keeping Coutinho in the space of a couple weeks is mental

Won't the african cup kill off Liverpool? Mane alone caused such a slump last season.

It got moved to the summer, should be only as problematic as any other tournament now

Cairnsay

Banned
I really don't see what the Ox see's as his endgame. Surely he must know that no team in the top 4 (or even top 6) is going to bring him in as a first choice CM/CAM. Or is he that delusional? If he wants to play in the center he has to be willing to take risk/wage hit and drop down to someone like us (Newcastle), West Ham, or Bournemouth etc.

Aurier on his way to Spurs then:

Serge Aurier, who suggested as such with his super-cryptic Twitter post earlier, has indeed received clearance for his work permit, so his €25m move from PSG to Tottenham will be completed shortly. Interestingly, the French courts have downgraded his previous two-month suspended jail sentence to a fine. Previously he would’ve had to wait five years to work in the UK, but now he’s been able to successfully submit a normal application.

CrayToes

It still warms my heart to this day thinking about how different Arsenal's recent history might've looked if they hadn't been cunts when trying to sign Suarez. I reckon they would've won the league with him at least once.

Floody

I really don't see what the Ox see's as his endgame. Surely he must know that no team in the top 4 (or even top 6) is going to bring him in as a first choice CM/CAM. Or is he that delusional? If he wants to play in the center he has to be willing to take risk/wage hit and drop down to someone like us (Newcastle), West Ham, or Bournemouth etc.

Seems he mostly just wants to play for Klopp. Its extremely unlikely we'd offer him better wages than either Arsenal or Chelsea had/would.

According to Paul Joyce (Liverpool's most reliable journalist)
Oxlade-Chamberlain has informed Arsenal that he does not want to move to Chelsea despite the clubs agreeing a £35 million deal on Monday. He favours a switch to Anfield where he believes Jürgen Klopp, the Liverpool manager, will bring the best out of him
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/arsenal-ready-to-cut-ties-with-oxlade-chamberlain-fbz66jrcx

sammex

Yup

List of guys just around the 1st team
Gomez
Gini
Matip
Clyne
Mane
Salah
Sturridge
TAA
Sakho (at one point)
Origi

Hopefuls are
Lemar

Next year
Keita
de Souza (work visa permitting) ...yeah he's Brazilian but 99% of white folks will say he is brown.

Solanke too, then Ejaria and Ojo who have had some 1st team minutes.

Floody

Well, he's probably right that Klopp could improve him, at least.

Yep, mostly why I'd be happy if we get him. Think he can become pretty good under Klopp.

Guessing he'd be competition for Gini too, so we can just play him for away games and Gini in home games, where he usually shows up.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Would there be any conflict for Keita if Liverpool and Leipzig both progress from the group stage of the CL and play each other?

No, he's still registered to them, it's not like Liverpool bought him and loaned him back. If plays a blinder and gets them knocked out, Liverpool fans won't hold it against him.

Paul Joyce reporting that Arsenal are seriously pissed at Ox and are doing business just so they can cut ties with him as early as possible.

Also says Klopp is prepared to play him in midfield.

He'll have a lot to prove if he comes to us, but I'll be open minded about him. If it's true about him resolutely turning down Chelsea to be part of the project it's a good sign he'll do whatever it takes.

What is the better Aurier gets in trouble within 5 months?

Gets his name in the papers so Danny Rose doesn't have to wiki him. It's a win-win!

Markitron

He'll have a lot to prove if he comes to us, but I'll be open minded about him. If it's true about him resolutely turning down Chelsea to be part of the project it's a good sign he'll do whatever it takes.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, I don't really want him and would prefer if we direct all of our efforts towards Lemar, but I'll get behind him if signs. I can see the slight benefit for LFC, but I don't know what's in it for him.

MikeBison

No, he's still registered to them, it's not like Liverpool bought him and loaned him back. If plays a blinder and gets them knocked out, Liverpool fans won't hold it against him.

Yup. Win-win really. We go through or our new signing is killing it.

What i do wonder, is if come January, Leipzig are out of the CL and looking firmly mid-table in the bundesliga, do we try and accelerate the move?

Markitron

Yup. Win-win really. We go through or our new signing is killing it.

What i do wonder, is if come January, Leipzig are out of the CL and looking firmly mid-table in the bundesliga, do we try and accelerate the move?

I obviously don't know for sure, but I would guess that the terms are iron-clad. I remember a lot of people calling for Origi to be brought in early after we bought him and loaned him back, and I don't think it was possible then.

Even in the scenario you laid out, I imagine they would want him to help them push on for top 4 or win the Europa League.

Atomic Odin

I think he'd be an asset. Obviously he has to put in a lot of work but I really feel Klopp can get the best out of him. I also think part of the reason he wants to come to us is because of how fluid we allow our front 3 to be. Even if he doesn't play in CM he could flourish in a high tempo interchangeable attacking option.

GHG

The Ox thinks Klopp will improve him?

Fuck me if that's not a sign that these modern footballers lack self motivation I don't know what is.

Clegg

The Ox thinks Koop will improve him?

Fuck me if that's not a sign that these modern footballers lack self motivation I don't know what is.
Klopp is a far better manager than Wenger these days. I reckon he could improve Ox.

Of course neither are Conte who can turn shit to gold. I'm amazed by what he's done with Moses and Alonso.

Markitron

Considering how this thread has gone the last few days, I'd say Lashley is glad he got banned when he did.

Lashley, if you are lurking; It's not personal.

The Ox thinks Klopp will improve him?

I don't know if I really blame AOC on this one, Wenger seems to be sucking the enthusiasm out of his players the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom