• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

azyless

Wait what, the 4th team doesn't even have to qualify from next year?
Nope. The first 4 teams from the first 4 associations will go directly to group stage. Same for Europa League winners (they will no longer have a play off).

The full changes if you wanna know more :
Changes

The UEFA Europa League winners will automatically qualify for the UEFA Champions League group stage (currently they can potentially take part in a play-off round).
The top four clubs from the four top-ranked national associations will now qualify automatically for the group stage of the UEFA Champions League.
The full details of the access list for both competitions will be finalised by the end of the year.
A new system for the club coefficients: clubs will be judged on their own records (deletion of the country share for individual club coefficient unless that coefficient is lower than 20% of the association's coefficient).
Historical success in the competition will also be acknowledged in coefficient calculation (points for previous European titles with a weighted system for UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League titles)
Financial distribution to clubs will be increased significantly for both competitions.
A new four-pillar financial distribution system (starting fee, performance in the competition, individual club coefficient and market pool) will see sporting performances better rewarded, while market pool share will decrease.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

No they don't, which is why I was so sure Liverpool would fuck it up this year.

Historical success in the competition will also be acknowledged in coefficient calculation (points for previous European titles with a weighted system for UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League titles)

As a Liverpool fan I am liking this. Fucks Arsenal over, but at least Villa and Forest will have a leg up if they ever make it back :)

TimmmV

Thanks guys, I didnt realise that!

A new system for the club coefficients: clubs will be judged on their own records (deletion of the country share for individual club coefficient unless that coefficient is lower than 20% of the association's coefficient).
Financial distribution to clubs will be increased significantly for both competitions.

All of those sound very much like moves towards a European super league tbh

No they don't, which is why I was so sure Liverpool would fuck it up this year.

Would have thought exactly the same lol

You're entirely correct. Half of the spots in the group phase are automatically assigned to the four best competitions.

Leaving 16 spots to be distributed over 26 countries. It's absolutely ridiculous. UEFA once again bending over for money.

You're entirely correct. Half of the spots in the group phase are automatically assigned to the four best competitions.

Leaving 16 spots to be distributed over 26 countries. It's absolutely ridiculous. UEFA once again bending over for money.

Keeping the small leagues small.

Also, saw that the biggest purchase in the Dutch league this transfer window was a whopping 8 million or about 1/33th of a Neymar. Why they even still bother I don't know.

Pachimari

Yeah, the change is fucked up. I hate it, and gives the smaller teams less of a chance to qualify.

casiopao

Uhm,serie a already got the 4th spot back since this year thanks to that new cl rule,also epl was the closest in terms of ranking not bundes,but none of it matters anymore.

Yeah. But still having many Serie A team deep into UCl would be benefecial there. Not for Inter though. They can rot forever there.

Napoli and Roma better quickly grow so they can show Europe how good Serie A is.

Gavin Robertson

Neo Member
What's that? An elegant, capable defensive midfielder is available and keen on a move to England? At a decent price? That would massively improve Arsenal in the middle of the park? And he's at a club that Wenger has a great relationship with? Fantastic, let's get right on that.....

***Breaking news*** Grzegorz Krychowiak set for medical at WBA

Oh... :(

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The news of any good player moving to a Pulis team is a tragedy of Bee-Gees proportions.

Tony Pulis: Where football goes to die

Doc_Drop

Fulham have bid 15m for Dwight Gayle 😮
At the start of the season I would say do one, but honestly as much as I appreciate what he did last year, he seems championship level and 15m ain't bad.

Given our recent offloads, hopefully this means a couple of purchases before the window is closed

Pachimari

Seems we are done making transfers as Zizou is content with his squad. I'm pretty happy too, and hope that Marcos Llorente truly stays. I'm fine with not getting another striker too, we just need Bale to gain his confidence back, partly Benz too.

At the start of the season I would say do one, but honestly as much as I appreciate what he did last year, he seems championship level and 15m ain't bad.

Given our recent offloads, hopefully this means a couple of purchases before the window is closed

Yeah I would take it Championship seems right for him.

GHG

What's that? An elegant, capable defensive midfielder is available and keen on a move to England? At a decent price? That would massively improve Arsenal in the middle of the park? And he's at a club that Wenger has a great relationship with? Fantastic, let's get right on that.....

***Breaking news*** Grzegorz Krychowiak set for medical at WBA

Oh... :(

"There were no players available"

Arsenal need to stop fucking round acting like they have all the time in the world to get the best price, they leave it to late and they won't get a penny.

GHG

Considering Firmino's contract contains an anti-Arsenal clause we should definitely take Liverpool for a ride so that they get neither him or Lemar.

Then make Ox rot on the bench for the next 12 months.

azyless

Considering Firmino's contract contains an anti-Arsenal clause we should definitely take Liverpool for a ride so that they get neither him or Lemar.

Honestly I couldn't care less about AOC not joining us. I don't rate him at all and the amount they're asking for a player who hasn't proved anything at Arsenal and is free to go next summer is a bit ridiculous.

Floody

I don't think we'd mind all that much waiting a year for Ox, if Arsenal don't want to sell. Lemar seems to be by far the priority target at the moment, with Ox being a back-up. Monaco could probably take us for a ride, making us get neither though.

Markitron

I don't think we'd mind all that much waiting a year for Ox, if Arsenal don't want to sell. Lemar seems to be by far the priority target at the moment, with Ox being a back-up. Monaco could probably take us for a ride, making us get neither though.

I'm fine with us not getting AOC if it means we go all out on the attempt for Lemar, whether we get him or not.

DrDamn

If it's AOC or Lemar for LFC then bidding for both is probably still a necessity at this stage. They could always not go through with AOC if Lemar does happen. Alternatively there is talk that both are wanted if Coutinho does go. My preference would be to keep Phil for one more year and get Lemar.

Arsenal need to stop fucking round acting like they have all the time in the world to get the best price, they leave it to late and they won't get a penny.

Surely it's already too late as wenger is off on his holiday already so they can't get anything finalised until his return on friday.

The window closes on Thursday at 11pm iirc, so Arsene had better be working on his holiday or nothing will be finalised
He is working...on his tan.
Back on friday morning and will ask did anything important happen whilst he was away.
wenger5.jpg

Ah, what a time to be an Arsenal fan.

4-0 Loss to Liverpool. Loss to Stoke. Scraped a win against Leicester using players removed from the Liverpool game.
Baffling positioning decisions and player decisions.
Chamberlain off to Chelsea/Liverpool.
Sanchez off to Man City.
One of our best defenders out for loan or sale despite our defense being actual shit.
No links to purchase anyone.
Only spent a net of £4m, will have made money if we sell even one of the above.

I hate to get all 'Arsenal Fan TV' on Gaf but i'm just a bit fucked off. Was payday a few days ago and I was excited to buy a kit but just can't bring myself to right now.

NHale

As much as I'm enjoying watching the panic buys I would love United to complete another deal.

I'm still amused that Man United are happy to try to play this season with Doghouse Shaw, Blind, Rojo and Darmian as their left back choices.

Even last weekend Mahrez did what he wanted of Blind everytime Leicester dared to attack. Can't imagine what a team like City or Liverpool would do to United just by exploiting their left back weakness.

Also they still need a pure right winger in my opinion. I like Mata but he's not a right winger.

Ah, what a time to be an Arsenal fan.

4-0 Loss to Liverpool. Loss to Stoke. Scraped a win against Leicester using players removed from the Liverpool game.
Baffling positioning decisions and player decisions.
Chamberlain off to Chelsea/Liverpool.
Sanchez off to Man City.
One of our best defenders out for loan or sale despite our defense being actual shit.
No links to purchase anyone.
Only spent a net of £4m, will have made money if we sell even one of the above.

I hate to get all 'Arsenal Fan TV' on Gaf but i'm just a bit fucked off. Was payday a few days ago and I was excited to buy a kit but just can't bring myself to right now.

I have no idea how Kola and Lacz didn't start against Liverpool. Wenger's game plan whatever it was was all sorts of bad.

It also feels like 3 at the back doesn't work for Arsenal.

When Arsenal bought Lacz I actually thought maybe they will finally have a good transfer window...LOL

I'm still amused that Man United are happy to try to play this season with Doghouse Shaw, Blind, Rojo and Darmian as their left back choices.

Even last weekend Mahrez did what he wanted of Blind everytime Leicester dared to attack. Can't imagine what a team like City or Liverpool would do to United just by exploiting their left back weakness.

Also they still need a pure right winger in my opinion. I like Mata but he's not a right winger.

Yeah I was hoping we would take a look at Sandro when he was linked to Chelsea but that's not happend and then I saw Mendy play this weekend and I was instantly jealous of City.

Tunoku

I have no idea how Kola and Lacz didn't start against Liverpool. Wenger's game plan whatever it was was all sorts of bad.

It also feels like 3 at the back doesn't work for Arsenal.

When Arsenal bought Lacz I actually thought maybe they will finally have a good transfer window...LOL

It's the same cycle every time. We signed Sanchez pretty early as well and then nothing else really happened. Getting Özil on deadline day is the exception to the rule and that shit is never happening again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom