• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Barcelona now attempting to sabotage our deal with Lemar. And here I thought no one had a joke of a window more than us, 'ello..

Barcelona in this window are like a guy that goes to a party with his girlfriend, they have a fight and she storms off, so he gets really drunk and pisses off everyone else at the party by overtly flirting with every woman there.

West Ham's net profit must be up about 10mil on the last two seasons.

They were talking about it today on SSN

Actually it's gonna be interesting seeing who pulls the biggest profit this summer after seeing WBA have spent 38m but could sell both Evans and Chadli before the window shuts that could mean at least 40m back to the club.

GHG

Klopp is a far better manager than Wenger these days. I reckon he could improve Ox.

Of course neither are Conte who can turn shit to gold. I'm amazed by what he's done with Moses and Alonso.

?

Working with a manager you think can improve you sounds pretty reasonable to me

Considering how this thread has gone the last few days, I'd say Lashley is glad he got banned when he did.

Lashley, if you are lurking; It's not personal.

I don't know if I really blame AOC on this one, Wenger seems to be sucking the enthusiasm out of his players the last few years.

So Wenger is forcing Ox to run down blind alleys and give the ball away under no pressure at all? Wenger is forcing him to have no composure in front of goal? If Liverpool have a bad few months and sack Klopp then what, is he then going to be incapable of putting in a shift and kicking a football again?

As for the whole Conte thing... Ox is already a better RWB than Moses even though he's currently playing under Wenger, hence Chelsea want him for that position. Conte hasn't worked any magic with Moses, he's just put him in a position that plays to his strengths and masks his obvious flaws.

I agree that Wenger is past it, but some of these footballers have lost the plot these days. The likes of Frank Lampard didn't need a buck toothed over the top coach to kiss him on the cheek to get him to train hard and put in extra sessions in order to be the best that he could be. Same goes for C. Ronaldo. Ox needs to take a look at himself first and foremost instead of pointing the finger elsewhere to try and explain why he's barely a better player now than he was 5 years ago.

NHale

I really don't get the Aurier signing for Tottenham because of multiple reasons. They already have Trippier and Walker-Peters that from what I've seen so far are capable and deserve a shot at the position. The other part is that Aurier is exactly of what Spurs usually avoid buying, they like low profile players that don't like to moan publicly (Danny Rose is now the exception). Aurier is the explosive bombshell of a player with a lot of baggage and that easily explodes off the field when things aren't going his way.

I could definitely see Aurier playing for douchebags that demand respect because of what they achieved like Pep, Conte or Mourinho but for Poch and Levy? It's a strange combination to say the least.

Who do you support btw? Always assumed it was Utd cos of the Mourinho pic but that doesn't seem to be the case

giphy.gif

My club is FC Porto but I lost the desire to really care nowadays because of the low quality of the Portuguese League and the fact that everything is filled with corruption (my club included).

I know it seems like a stupid answer but I simply enjoy football everywhere else. I do however have some affinity for clubs with a tradition of having portuguese managers/players in their history. I like Dortmund because Paulo Sousa played for them (and that's one of the reasons I follow and like Klopp for example), I tend to follow Mourinho and AVB teams because I respect the fact that he was a boss early in his career during his Leiria days and Porto years, still I don't like Mou that much because of his park the bus tactics in big games. Most of the times I simply root for the underdogs or the teams that didn't win a title for a long time (which probably makes me a Tottenham fan, doesn't it?).

I do "hate" some teams like Barcelona, but who doesn't really?

MikeBison

So Wenger is forcing Ox to run down blind alleys and give the ball away under no pressure at all? Wenger is forcing him to have no composure in front of goal? If Liverpool have a bad few months and sack Klopp then what, is he then going to be incapable of putting in a shift and kicking a football again?

As for the whole Conte thing... Ox is already a better RWB than Moses even though he's currently playing under Wenger, hence Chelsea want him for that position. Conte hasn't worked any magic with Moses, he's just put him in a position that plays to his strengths and masks his obvious flaws.

I agree that Wenger is past it, but some of these footballers have lost the plot these days. The likes of Frank Lampard didn't need a buck toothed over the top coach to kiss him on the cheek to get him to train hard and put in extra sessions in order to be the best that he could be. Same goes for C. Ronaldo. Ox needs to take a look at himself first and foremost instead of pointing the finger elsewhere to try and explain why he's barely a better player now than he was 5 years ago.

Klopp has one of the safest positions in the PL. Could probably have a nothing couple of shit years and he'd still be here. Think the owners and fans buy into a rebuild job and we're not typically a hire and fire club anyway.

NHale

Is Lucas Perez still up for sale? I'd happily sell Gayle and get Perez in as a replacement.

Apparently he really wants to go back to Deportivo. He hopes to play in the World Cup if he regains his form there and he knows he will play every game for Depor. It makes sense.

It makes sense that Ox would want to be assured of playing... and in the positions he wants to play in.

I would have liked him at Chelsea, but not a great loss really. Still, need a wing back for sure.

I don't know when anyone ever said this. But there is certainly a difference in how much managers work individuallywith players, to improve certain aspects of their games, not to mention their whole attitude and style. Not sure how this is all that puzzling. We dont know much if anything really, about how Wenger, Conte, Klopp or whoever works on the training pitch. But it's not silly to think a player would prefer one over the other, certainly not when one of the managers is Wenger.

GHG

You guys will see with Ox over time, you haven't watched him week in week out for the last 6 years.

He's not as good as you (or he) think he is. He has good raw attributes but is severely lacking in footballing intelligence and composure when it matters. England has always produced players like him. He will join the list... Sean Wright Phillips, Lennon, Zaha, Townsend etc. Immensely talented players who all worked under top managers but never took things up to the next level for various reasons. Like all of those other players mentioned, as soon as he starts to decline physically he will have very little to offer any top club.

kromeo

This has to be the worst state the team have been in since Rioch was manager.. Kronke obviously doesn't care as long as the share prices stay high but I really don't understand what Wenger and Gazidis think they're doing

Unless something miraculous happens tomorrow I can only see a fight with Everton for 6th this season

Doc_Drop

You guys will see with Ox over time, you haven't watched him week in week out for the last 6 years.

He's not as good as you (or he) think he is. He has good raw attributes but is severely lacking in footballing intelligence and composure when it matters. England has always produced players like him. He will join the list... Sean Wright Phillips, Lennon, Zaha, Townsend etc. Immensely talented players who all worked under top managers but never took things up to the next level for various reasons. Like all of those other players mentioned, as soon as he starts to decline physically he will have very little to offer any top club.
I agree to an extent, but I think the other thing that those players lacked was significant game time and were pushed out in favour of the management bringing in more established talent from overseas.

But yeh I don't know how things are behind the scenes so it is more than likely they just weren't good enough

GHG

This has to be the worst state the team have been in since Rioch was manager.. Kronke obviously doesn't care as long as the share prices stay high but I really don't understand what Wenger and Gazidis think they're doing

They're too comfortable to give a shit.

I think Gazidis has tried pushing back on Wenger in th last year (saying we need a DoF etc) but Wenger has overruled him and got his way every time.

To be honest they all need to leave or we will just keep on going backwards.

TimmmV

Of those players, only SWP at Chelsea and Townsend in his last year under Pochettino actually worked with a top manager. Ox is more talented than either of them, and Klopp much better than Mourinho at working with young players, I dont think they're as comparable as you do.

There are definitely huge question marks over signing Ox at Liverpool, but the logic of wanting to improve under Klopp is perfectly fine for Ox to have. You reacting so strongly to it seems more down to anger at whats going on at Arsenal at the moment then it does to Ox transferring

Klopp has one of the safest positions in the PL. Could probably have a nothing couple of shit years and he'd still be here. Think the owners and fans buy into a rebuild job and we're not typically a hire and fire club anyway.

The Keita deal did make me think 'Shit we actually have plans for a year or two in advance. Nice.'

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The Keita deal did make me think 'Shit we actually have plans for a year or two in advance. Nice.'

Yea that was weird alright. It was the kind of move that Bayern would make. I was well impressed (for once).

Sky sports reporting we've opened talks with Ox. Hope it doesn't effect the Lemar stuff :/

There is no Lemar stuff.

Should be a fun deadline day for an Arsenal fan, will be sitting with the radio on with multiple bottles of whisky and plenty of tissues to dry my tears. I honestly can't remember being at this point of a season in such poor shape since that year we signed Arteta, Mertesacker, Benayoun and Santos all at the death. And Park. And to think after getting Kolasinac and Lacazette done so early, we were supposed to be prepared as fuck this year.

Drink.

Unless something miraculous happens tomorrow I can only see a fight with Everton for 6th this season

Fans are to blame as well, stadium's always full, money comin' in, why bother

T-Rex.

Banned
giphy.gif

My club is FC Porto but I lost the desire to really care nowadays because of the low quality of the Portuguese League and the fact that everything is filled with corruption (my club included).

I know it seems like a stupid answer but I simply enjoy football everywhere else. I do however have some affinity for clubs with a tradition of having portuguese managers/players in their history. I like Dortmund because Paulo Sousa played for them (and that's one of the reasons I follow and like Klopp for example), I tend to follow Mourinho and AVB teams because I respect the fact that he was a boss early in his career during his Leiria days and Porto years, still I don't like Mou that much because of his park the bus tactics in big games. Most of the times I simply root for the underdogs or the teams that didn't win a title for a long time (which probably makes me a Tottenham fan, doesn't it?).

I do "hate" some teams like Barcelona, but who doesn't really?
Nah, that makes perfect sense.

This just isn't true. It's been reported by multiple reliable sources that they are/have made a bid. I'm skeptical myself but it's within the realms of possibility.

Monaco aren't selling and the player hasn't really shown any desire to force a move, it might be that there's interest but not anything that'll go anywhere. It's nothing, it's certainly not a transfer on the verge of completion that will be scuppered by a deal for Oxlade-Chamberlain.

azyless

Oxlade Chamberlain feels like the eternal "great potential" player. But he's 24 now and I feel like he's barely progressed in all these years, am I still supposed to believe he can become great ? I don't.
And don't get me wrong he would probably be a decent squad option for a few years, but it's just not very exciting honestly. Lemar is to me. I would rather we do everything we can to get him.

Beefy

Why?

Premier league teams have way too much money and the market it batshit insane. When 2 teenagers both with one good season are gonna be sold for 150 million each, 38 for a solid, proven player is gonna be the norm.

Because prices are fucked. Drinkwater is average as fuck.

Kyoufu

Apparently he really wants to go back to Deportivo. He hopes to play in the World Cup if he regains his form there and he knows he will play every game for Depor. It makes sense.

:(

We would have given him the #9 shirt. Plenty of games to play :(

Beefy

More money, means higher prices. Of course players are more expensive now than a couple of years ago. In a couple of years we're gonna see players go for half a billion.

It's going to drive fans away, it's already starting to do that. Prices are way to detached from the normal world.

MikeBison

Yeah, looks like Lemar is off/wasn't there in the first place.

Hype erection deflated somewhat.

VVD would swell that shaft significantly though. Get it done.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
More money, means higher prices. Of course players are more expensive now than a couple of years ago. In a couple of years we're gonna see players go for half a billion.

I think there comes a point where a club should just consider that a player is not worth buying for that kind of price. It's throwing money out the window.

There is a logic in paying insane amounts for world class players that simply doesn't apply to average players.

Moobabe

This is why Ox wanting to go to Pool strikes me as odd.

He's not going to oust one of your 60 attacking players - and is now competing with Hendo/Gigi/Keita/Can for a role in the middle of the pitch...

T-Rex.

Banned

He's not going to oust one of your 60 attacking players - and is now competing with Hendo/Gigi/Keita/Can for a role in the middle of the pitch...
He'll be competing with Lallana and Coutinho for a spot imo. Coutinho's probably off next year, if not this window, and Lallana is 29 and is picking up a lot of injuries recently.

MikeBison

No bids since you did that statement according to journos close to the club.

For sure. Every chance we're being good guys and "we said we'd back off, so we've totally backed up"

Also every chance that some point in the next 24 hours we throw a big sack of money on Sotons desk and say "fuck it, will this do? You'll be counting this for years"

Beefy

For sure. Every chance we're being good guys and "we said we'd back off, so we've totally backed up"

Also every chance that some point in the next 24 hours we throw a big sack of money on Sotons desk and say "fuck it, will this do? You'll be counting this for years"

Can't see it now, it's way too late. We need a replacement first, we aren't Arsenal....

Moobabe

He'll be competing with Lallana and Coutinho for a spot imo. Coutinho's probably off next year, if not this window, and Lallana is 29 and is picking up a lot of injuries recently.

Your formation remains a mystery to me I suppose - Firmino/Studge/Origi/Ings/Solanke as 9 (I guess?) - Salah and Mane as the wide men, Coutinho/Lallana/Ox as a number 10?

Then Keita/Can/Gigi/Hendo as the 2 holders?

PowderedToast

we have a shit ton of games in the new year. its something like one every 2.7 days.

and injuries ruined us last season, everyone will play imo

T-Rex.

Banned
Your formation remains a mystery to me I suppose - Firmino/Studge/Origi/Ings/Solanke as 9 (I guess?) - Salah and Mane as the wide men, Coutinho/Lallana/Ox as a number 10?

Then Keita/Can/Gigi/Hendo as the 2 holders?
Pretty much yeah. We play with 3 midfielders but their roles are completely different so it's not that Ox, if he signs, will be competing with all the midfielders, just the ones that play his position which from his POV would be appealing considering the reasons I listed before (Coutinho leaving, Lallana getting on a bit).

Against the park the bus teams we may decide to sacrifice stability (lol) and play 2 creative midfielders in the midfield, so Hendo + Ox + Coutinho, so I think he'll get plenty of game time. Lallana's out until November as well.

Beefy

5 CBs without him and he hasn't played for 6 months for you anyway.

I said why we would need a replacement before.

First team

Van Dijk
Hoedt
Yoshida
Stephens

U23's

Bednarek
Jones

Gardos is all but gone.

It's a bit like counting your U23 Cbs. The only reason Bednarek played in the cup is because of Van Dijk be a dick, he is a U23 player. We would need a replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom