• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammex

LFC agree £35m fee with #Arsenal for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain after he snubbed #CFC. - Melisa Reddy

:lol didn't Chelsea offer £40m? Why would Arsenal accept less.

Cos the player wouldn't go to Chelsea and they want rid asap.

Melissa Reddy says we're still in for Lemar, even after getting AOC... !

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm not all that enthused about AOC but he's joining LFC and he deserves a chance. I'm glad LFC are throwing their weight around for once though.

If that's true then Phil is probably going, we're not gonna have all 3.

Danchi

LFC agree £35m fee with #Arsenal for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain after he snubbed #CFC. - Melisa Reddy

:lol didn't Chelsea offer £40m? Why would Arsenal accept less.

The initial reports were £35m when Chelsea came in too. It was probably only £40m if you include add-ons.

T-Rex.

Banned

Yeah but at that point they were refusing to sell him to us so really only Chelsea were in for him then.

Liverpool are continuing negotiations with Monaco over a deal in excess of £70m inclusive of add-ons for Thomas Lemar. (@MelissaReddy_)

sammex

If that's true then Phil is probably going, we're not gonna have all 3.

Possibly? I have no clue what the plan is at the moment, this kind of activity from us this summer is pretty unusual.

Gonna be difficult for Klopp to undo 5 years of bad coaching at Arsenal. AOC has the raw attributes but can he use them intelligently at this point? Either way he's a def upgrade on Milner. Probably Milner will be off in Jan/next summer to someone like Newcastle.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Is LFC going to end up selling Coutinho at the end of this? It's getting crowded and supposedly still trying to get Lemar.

They are still adamantly saying know. Definitely not if we don't get Lemar anyway.

What if Liverpool actually wins it this year guys?

Liverpool could sign MSN, BBC, the Invincibles and the 1970 Brazil World Cup squad and I still wouldn't think they would win it.

Imagine of Liverpool spend all this money and still don't fix their defense.

They won't and it's going to be hilarious.

MikeBison

Imagine of Liverpool spend all this money and still don't fix their defense.

Don't need to imagine. We've only really got one defensive target and that target happens to be just about the hardest player for us to go out and get.

Klopp going for that Fifa 99 pace all over the pitch strategy though. Fuck it, wasn't overly thrilled by Ox deal but now he's coming, will fully support and hope he does well. Klopp wants to shape him. So good luck to the mutant turtle.

Markitron

Don't need to imagine. We've only really got one defensive target and that target happens to be just about the hardest player for us to go out and get.

Klopp going for that Fifa 99 pace all over the pitch strategy though. Fuck it, wasn't overly thrilled by Ox deal but now he's coming, will fully support and hope he does well. Klopp wants to shape him. So good luck to the mutant turtle.

Whatever happens, it's going to be a dramatic season for Liverpool fans and an entertaining one for the neutrals watching them.

Sane_Man

They need a new keeper so bad.

Mings has been alright for a while now. I would definitely love a class keeper but I don't think it's a priority. If we don't get an immense CB we have no chance at winning anything though, no matter who we sign.

If we get Lemar there's no chance Coutinho is staying. I don't mind.

CrayToes

Our keepers are fine honestly. We need a top class CB and that's not gonna happen this year. We're going to be an interesting team to watch, for sure.

Floody

No you need a new number one not new number four.

We don't though, Ward, Migs and Karius (though he should be 3rd choice not Ward) our fine enough at the moment. No one who we can get would make a difference if we always make stupid mistakes, leaving the keeper wide open.
Would also push Ward even further down the pecking order, which I personally don't want until he gets a chance, as I think he's really solid and will only get better with more playing time.

1 who is amazing > 3 who are fine

Yeah, because Karius looked shit before he came to us. Looking good in another team doesn't mean you'll look good as the Liverpool GK.

Y'all laughing now but when Stevie takes Ox aside to unlock his potential score bangers out of nowhere you'll be saying nothing!

I'm gonna choose to be optimistic about this one!

Also does this mean Welbz is the last Arsenal player in the England squad?

GHG

Y'all laughing now but when Stevie takes Ox aside to unlock his potential score bangers out of nowhere you'll be saying nothing!

I'm gonna choose to be optimistic about this one!

Also does this mean Welbz is the last Arsenal player in the England squad?

Walcott would get back in if he got his head down and focused on his game.

But he's too busy writing children's books to care.

40m for Ox is daylight robbery.

40m euros for a completely mediocre player, well done Liverpool.

joker.gif

Floody

Walcott would get back in if he got his head down and focused on his game.

But he's too busy writing children's books to care.

40m for Ox is daylight robbery.

Shame your board our likely going to just pocket it and not replace him. Is a very good deal though, would have much preferred to just wait a year and get him for free.

Seems Klopp rates him though and he's not really made a terrible signing yet, plus I like Ox so pretty happy with it (after ignoring the fee). If we get Lemar too be a solid window after looking like a disaster a few days ago.
Don't think my heart can take another "we're just going to outscore everyone" season again though.

T-Rex.

Banned
Eh, people were laughing/crying when we wanted Mane. I think I'll trust Klopp and Conte on this one :p

From what I've seen of him, he looks to be a good Lallana understudy/replacement.

Danchi

In the last decade or so, there aren't that many Arsenal players that have been sold who actually went on to become better players.

Ashley Cole, Lassana Diarra, and...?

Just saw the AOC news. Not what I was expecting with Lemar potentially being on the horizon, but if Klopp rates him then okay I guess. Seems the mentality is to drown teams with goals again, except he wants to be able to slot in more players when we hit our patented 'injury phase' we go through most seasons. I don't think my heart can take another season of 4 or 5 goals needed to win a match, but I can imagine the neutral will be rubbing their hands looking forwards to it all over again.

Few rumours Van Dijk has come around to staying 🤔

Come around, or finally realised that he either plays or sits on the bench for at least a season? :p

Expect the same will happen with Coutinho, complete with a sickening interview where he says he's fit and ready to fight for the team and all that shite.

Rmagnus

Banned
Come around, or finally realised that he either plays or sits on the bench for at least a season? :p

Expect the same will happen with Coutinho, complete with a sickening interview where he says he's fit and ready to fight for the team and all that shite.

As long as he performs I don't give a shit what he says

It'll be tough to like him.

I'm personally one of those fans who places a lot of stock in having a group of players you like admire, as well as them being good. I'm done with Coutinho in that regard though. I'll appreciate his contributions if he stays, but he can do one on a personal level.

tldr: friendship ended with Coutinho, Mane is my best friend now

Beefy

I don't mind as long as he plays well, dude is going to have to make it up big time to fans.

--------------------

This proves how weird transfers rumours are. According to Shef Wed fans are say Josh Sims is close to joining them on loan. Despite the fact he is out for a season. 🤔

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Selling AOC for 10 million less than they paid for Lacazette is an exceptional deal for Arsenal. It doesn't solve the many problems that they have though.

Agreed. He'll need to if he wants international play next year. A year on the bench right before the WC right around the peak of his career isn't something he's gonna want, no matter how much he wants to play for Barca. And if Klopp is flooding the front of the team, he's nowhere near as secure in a selection as he was last season. I couldn't care less about his career, but if he wants a career, he needs to give us more goals than ever it seems.

Rmagnus

Banned
It'll be tough to like him.

I'm personally one of those fans who places a lot of stock in having a group of players you like admire, as well as them being good. I'm done with Coutinho in that regard though. I'll appreciate his contributions if he stays, but he can do one on a personal level.

tldr: friendship ended with Coutinho, Mane is my best friend now

I gave up after Torres saga. Now I just want the team to win. They can sod off after bringing silverware back. As long as the club is winning, we can attract high quality players or having a great manager like Klopp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom