• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomic Odin

That's a good signing, I have always rated him. I wanted Liverpool to sign him instead of Carroll 6 years ago. I'm surprised it didn't work out for him at Juve

They do it so often to other teams, it's nice to see come around on them.

Yeah I'm having fun watching it unfold, sweet revenge for Salah

edit: looks happy enough, hope he'll do great

FdFh2sX.jpg

MikeBison

If the situation with Van Dijk can be worked through, LFC are prepared to make him the world’s most expensive defender. (Melissa Reddy)

sopranos.png

Orgen

Surprised to see that Mangala still hasn't found a team. He was the best player on our team last year (yeah, everyone was shit) and I think he could be a great defender if he plays with a more experimented defender by his side. It's just like Mustafi, a normal defender when he neads to lead everyone or a great defender when he is accompanied by a great leader.

Man, what a wonderful duo were Otamendi and Mustafi on Valencia... let's see if we can get another great one between Garay, Gabriel and Murillo.

By the way, Nani to Lazio on a loan seems to be done.

TimmmV

If the situation with Van Dijk can be worked through, LFC are prepared to make him the world’s most expensive defender. (Melissa Reddy)

sopranos.png

Its noticable how this morning all the usual LFC journalists seem to be tempering expectations compared to how positive things were yesterday - I wouldn't expect anyone else to happen now

Obviously despite that I will still keep checking the internet every 5 seconds today for new signings...

casiopao

Watch highlights of the Arsenal game, he was fucking everywhere in that game. He is developing into a complete midfielder. He can play offensively, defensively and was used to great effect as a centre back in his first season. He can break up play, make late runs into the box, has fantastic short passing and can score spectacular goals. Over his time at Liverpool he has gotten better and better and he is still only 23. I'll be gutted if we lose him, and would sacrifice someone like Lemar if it meant we paid him what he wants.

So he is a multi talented player huh.♡♡ Just what Allegri liked. Hope if he join us, he will be ready for all kind of crazy position lol. Like how Mandzukic now is winger for Juventus lol.

Its noticable how this morning all the usual LFC journalists seem to be tempering expectations compared to how positive things were yesterday - I wouldn't expect anyone else to happen now

Obviously despite that I will still keep checking the internet every 5 seconds today for new signings...

Yeah, I believe the club are legitimately trying for Lemar but Monaco want fuck-off money, in which case why not just keep Phil for the year?

Gotta admit the last few days of madness has been good PR for them, even if the only result incoming from those days right now is Ox.

Liverpool have a better manager and overall squad than Arsenal do, and Arsenal will also have Europa games this season. The negative atmosphere at Arsenal at the moment only makes things harder for them too (Liverpool can confirm this with how the club was under Hicks and Gilette, and under Hodgson)

Those were dark times. The lowest I've ever felt about the club.

Fuck Juventus, hopefully that piece of shit club doesn't get Can. I'd rather see him go to Bayern on a free then Juventus.

Floody

Never really check him playing but what is play style? Is he like Khedira there? I mean considering Khedira aged, many of us fans believe that this year is going to be his last season with us.

I haven't really watched enough of Khedira to compare them.
I will say Can is by no means the finished product yet and by far his biggest problem is his consistency. He can go from a player who is completely controlling a game, playing a part in everything, looking like he's only ever going to become a world class player, to just a waste of a spot on a game to game basis at times. But he's been very good so far this season and seems to just be getting better and better. He plays in 3 man CM and is probably the more defensive of the 3 (not saying much though), but he's good going forward, helping the attack flow better too. Very good short passer, not afraid to throw in a tackle and can score the occasional wonder goal too.

Mou, Woody pls

I'm so confused, i thought every single person said manchester united would easily walk away with the league, fan's, pundits and all the media have been saying united are unstoppable and they have crushed all opposition so far without even trying.
Why would they need anymore signings?

Atomic Odin

Tom28 said:
He is staying I'm told. No acceptable bids are expected today. Be interesting too see how this plays out over the next few weeks and months.

Expect one incoming to get over the line today.

Happy Transfer deadline day

Oh well :(

Moobabe

What an odd window it's turning into for us...

I'm happy with the players who have come in - Caballero, Rudiger, Bakayoko and Morata - and reasonably happy with the outgoings (assuming we get Costa shipped out...), and happy that we've kept Christensen at the club.

Yet there seems to be an air of panic about our business now... Losing out on Llorente by a reported £3m? Ox going to pool to play CM? Spunking ourselves over Drinkwater?

If we can get Mahrez/Barkley over the line I think it's a decent window, but it looks like I'm alone in that thinking.

I'm so confused, i thought every single person said manchester united would easily walk away with the league, fan's, pundits and all the media have been saying united are unstoppable and they have crushed all opposition so far without even trying.
Why would they need anymore signings?
It's a bit shit watching fans of other teams get to have all the fun. And we could use a proper winger.

What an odd window it's turning into for us...

I'm happy with the players who have come in - Caballero, Rudiger, Bakayoko and Morata - and reasonably happy with the outgoings (assuming we get Costa shipped out...), and happy that we've kept Christensen at the club.

Yet there seems to be an air of panic about our business now... Losing out on Llorente by a reported £3m? Ox going to pool to play CM? Spunking ourselves over Drinkwater?

If we can get Mahrez/Barkley over the line I think it's a decent window, but it looks like I'm alone in that thinking.

Mahrez and Barkley, with Drinkwater and Llorente and I'm more than pleased. Sure defensively on the wings we probably could have used anther player, but keeping Christensen we can always have Azpi and Rudiger play on the wings if necessary.

casiopao

I haven't really watched enough of Khedira to compare them.
I will say Can is by no means the finished product yet and by far his biggest problem is his consistency. He can go from a player who is completely controlling a game, playing a part in everything, looking like he's only ever going to become a world class player, to just a waste of a spot on a game to game basis at times. But he's been very good so far this season and seems to just be getting better and better. He plays in 3 man CM and is probably the more defensive of the 3 (not saying much though), but he's good going forward, helping the attack flow better too. Very good short passer, not afraid to throw in a tackle and can score the occasional wonder goal too.

That sounds like the a young version of Matuidi and Marchisio actually.

And if there is doubt on his defensive output, coming to Juventus will whip him into defensive master lol for how much Juventus build on cleansheets.^_^

Those were dark times. The lowest I've ever felt about the club.

Fuck Juventus, hopefully that piece of shit club doesn't get Can. I'd rather see him go to Bayern on a free then Juventus.

Lol. Whats with the hate lol? I dont think Juventus had done something bad towards pool there right? Dont get angry on us just because we are succesful lol. Hell, ur team is even richer than us there bruh.

NHale

According to BBC Arsenal are not in the running for Mahrez. Suppose they'd be looking for a CB

At this rate in 2 years Wenger would need a 2 hour press conference to tell the story about the players he almost bought but didn't.

Mahrez at Chelsea would be a huge signing in my opinion because he would replace William which quite frankly is not good enough offensively for a team like Chelsea. I like his work rate but sometimes the pace of the attack just stops when William gets the ball. Playing a little more inside and behind a striker would fit Mahrez pretty nicely.

I think United still desperately need winger and full back.

Yep. Both places are huge holes for United. Mata's qualities are lost when he play as a right winger and Lingard is trash anywhere he plays, so they don't have anybody for that role. Which is odd considering they were in the market for a left winger (Perisic). Baffling.

For some reason they weren't rumored to be in the market for a left back but unless Mourinho let Shaw out of the doghouse, they are going to pay for the decision to let Blind and Darmian as their only options.

They are fucked either way because they don't have the depth required to compete against City.

I don't know why Wenger always feels the need to say how he nearly signed every half decent player there's ever been, it makes him look a chump, not cool.
Even the most deluded Arsenal fan can see through that shit.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Fun Richard Keys Fact: He is currently divorcing his cancer-stricken wife, to whom he been married for 30+ years, as he is having an affair with one of daughters pals.

I don't think anybody better personifies juvenile lad-culture in football.

An awful human being on every level.

spidye

The way ancelotti talked about possible transfer in the last few days, I thought there will be a surprise anouncement of a new player.

We just shipped sanches to swansea. And I thought he can't disappoint me more.

spidye

Injuries are gonna fuck us over again. Our squad has big issues.
It really is mind boggling. Like what is rummenigge's or hoenes' endgame?
We were fucked in 2014, 2016 and 2017 because our most important players were injured or were coming from an injury.
Now our squad is even smaller, the injury prone players are still there just older.

casiopao

The way ancelotti talked about possible transfer in the last few days, I thought there will be a surprise anouncement of a new player.

We just shipped sanches to swansea. And I thought he can't disappoint me more.

Actually shipping Sanchez to Swansea seems a better move in future if u guys wanted to get him in the future again.

Sending him to Juve or Milan would be guarantee than Sanchez wont return to Bayern anymore.

I am just more interested on Muller and the posibilities of Juventus getting him next season lol.

El Topo

It really is mind boggling. Like what is rummenigge's or hoenes' endgame?
We were fucked in 2014, 2016 and 2017 because our most important players were injured or were coming from an injury.
Now our squad is even smaller, the injury prone players are still there just older.

I wouldn't have a problem with this if Ancelotti rotated a lot more and gave our youth players match time. He doesn't, probably because our youth talents are not that great. But yeah, I don't get it.
Although I understand that they don't want to be dragged into the current offseason madness.

spidye

Actually shipping Sanchez to Swansea seems a better move in future if u guys wanted to get him in the future again.

Sending him to Juve or Milan would be guarantee than Sanchez wont return to Bayern anymore.

I am just more interested on Muller and the posibilities of Juventus getting him next season lol.
Müller won't leave. The fans would kill rummenigge or ancelotti if müller left.
I wouldn't have a problem with this if Ancelotti rotated a lot more and gave our youth players match time. He doesn't, probably because our youth talents are not that great. But yeah, I don't get it.
Although I understand that they don't want to be dragged into the current offseason madness.
He didn't let coman and kimmich play although both had excellent debut seasons under pep.
I'v said it before and I say it again. Ancelotti was the biggest mistake we made in recent times because he's not the right mananger in the transition phase we are in right now. He's a great manager without question but not a manager for OUR future.
Ancelotti just treats this job as his paycheck and he's not interested in building a squad for the next few years. He probably says to himself he will be gone in 2 years so why take a risk with young players.

Man, I miss heynckes

J Jizzle

Deadline day deals traditionally caused a lot of inflated panic buys. With how the market is at the moment though on these stupidly high fees, I would've done everything to avoid doing any deals today.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Some rumors around Spanish press that Tottenham and Barça are the ones bidding for Mahrez. Uhm....

Hope this is true. Phil may have pissed off the fans but I still don't want him to leave.

Is there any other CB we could go for today? I can't bear to see Lovren starting still come the next game.

I haven't seen a single one mentioned all summer. Is Subotic still decent for Dortmund?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom