• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syder

DevotedInbornBlesbok.gif

Floody

@mattspiro
Monaco accept #Arsenal's £90m bid for Thomas Lemar. However am told player would rather join #Liverpool

Gonna laugh if he turns them down.

There'll never be a better time to up their offer by £1.

That's way too much though, would rather just put those funds towards a CB. We're fine with attacking players.

NHale

Going to get even more crazy in 2019.

Unless there is some major economical crisis in the horizon, this shit will just keep getting crazier every year.

Consider this year madness and then remember that Real Madrid wasn't even fucking involved in anything. This will only get "worse".

EDIT - Betting houses are moving the odds on Mahrez to Chelsea to a point where it's almost impossible they don't know anything about it. It must be a done deal at this point.

T-Rex.

Banned
There'll never be a better time to up their offer by £1.

That's way too much though, would rather just put those funds towards a CB. We're fine with attacking players.
I don't get why we haven't bid for Van Dijk yet. I mean yeah they keep saying he's not for sale, but just offer them £70m or whatever and see how it goes. If they tell us to fuck off then fair play, but we won't know until we put the bid in.

Sane_Man

Guardian are saying Arsenal have pulled out of Lemar deal even though a fee was agreed due to not having enough time to complete it. Gotta be a cover as he's said he doesn't want to join.

Everyone wants a ticket for the Klopp train. We'll be back in a few months Lemar.

Daffy Duck

I don't get why we haven't bid for Van Dijk yet. I mean yeah they keep saying he's not for sale, but just offer them £70m or whatever and see how it goes. If they tell us to fuck off then fair play, but we won't know until we put the bid in.

Maybe we have, maybe it's all being done behind the scenes with no tip offs to journos, or those in the know are told to STFU and not say anything.

Guardian are saying Arsenal have pulled out of Lemar deal even though a fee was agreed due to not having enough time to complete it. Gotta be a cover as he's said he doesn't want to join.

Everyone wants a ticket for the Klopp train. We'll be back in a few months Lemar.

It's standard Arsenal modus operandi, piss of the fans, then say oh look but we tried to sign this mega star player.

MikeBison

Yeah my thinking. Fuck it, if we're gonna pass on Lemar at that price, chuck another 20 mill onto that 70 and blow Les Reeds balls off. They'd be able to spin it as 'we got the mind boggling sum we thought they'd never pay. Look at us go, bloody geniuses' and we'd get our man.

Lot of pennies riding on the hope that Virgil will knuckle down again at Southampton.

T-Rex.

Banned
They wanted Monaco's Thomas Lemar and the French club demanded that they pay 100m euros for him. Which Arsenal indicated they were willing to do. But there appears to be insufficient time for Arsenal to now agree a package with Lemar, particularly as he is in the France squad for this evening's game against Holland – which kicks off in about three hours. Were Arsenal able to get Lemar, they would have been inclined to take the £60m from City for Sanchez. But it is unlikely to happen now.

The Guardian are saying the Lemar deal is off (guess he turned them down?) and Sanchez is staying.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...mas-lemar-alex-oxlade-chamberlain-latest-live

Sane_Man

The rumour has always been that Southampton warned us not to bid for him or they'll report us for tapping up. So we were waiting for other bids to go in and bid higher. Guess nobody else bid. Or stuff is going on behind the scenes (unlikely).

NHale

Another player that Arsene was so close to buying and didn't? The book is almost on the 3rd volume at this rate.

T-Rex.

Banned
Maybe we have, maybe it's all being done behind the scenes with no tip offs to journos, or those in the know are told to STFU and not say anything.
Good point.

Yeah my thinking. Fuck it, if we're gonna pass on Lemar at that price, chuck another 20 mill onto that 70 and blow Les Reeds balls off. They'd be able to spin it as 'we got the mind boggling sum we thought they'd never pay. Look at us go, bloody geniuses' and we'd get our man.

Lot of pennies riding on the hope that Virgil will knuckle down again at Southampton.
Yeah I mean it's easy to say "no sale" when no bids have come in, but when you have a £70m offer on the table then it's a different matter.

You forget how much money Prem teams get for just being in the Prem. I know he isn't going I am a Saints fan. Van Dijk will most likely go this time next year. £70m for a Prem proven cb (one of the best defenders in the Prem) isn't much these days. The transfermarket has gone up a level because of the cash

I'm guessing PL clubs can't keep the spending spree going on every season. Big buys normally mean big salaries, if the transfer fee goes up why shouldn't salary go up as well? That's a bigger burden on a club than any transfer budget.

Also, Chelsea and Liverpool balked at that 70 million valuation, City didn't even bother despite needing a decent replacement for Kompany (Stones and Otamendi don't cut it, IMO), hey could be 100% wrong but don't see VVD getting 70 million next season. For Southampton fans like yourself it would be an amazing deal :)

According to that Kevin Palmer guy. Southampton didn't recieve one single bid for VVD this summer. That's incredible to me. Kick in the nuts for VVD too after all the BS he's done this summer, now he has to return back to Southampton and play for the fans he tried to screw over.

Floody

Reports that Arsenal's Lemar deal has already fell through. I think they'll be better off with Sanchez for 1 more year, than spending 92m on a downgrade now (assuming Lemar would be Sanchez replacement).
Market mightn't be fucked then and they might get CL. Plus City with Sanchez would be crazy strong.

So what big signing will turn out to be shit?

I like Ox and I hope he will perform. But I can easily see him becoming a player ala Stewart Downing that people on Twitter will laugh about. "2 goals, 3 assists! And you paid how much for him again?!?" - @AlexisSanchezGirl2004

CrayToes

According to that Kevin Palmer guy. Southampton didn't recieve one single bid for VVD this summer. That's incredible to me. Kick in the nuts for VVD too after all the BS he's done this summer, now he has to return back to Southampton and play for the fans he tried to screw over.

After the whole tapping up thing, he should've just kept his head down and got on with it. Liverpool literally said they wouldn't bid for him. I'm not sure why anyone is surprised.

Beefy

I'm guessing PL clubs can't keep the spending spree going on every season. Big buys normally mean big salaries, if the transfer fee goes up why shouldn't salary go up as well? That's a bigger burden on a club than any transfer budget.

Also, Chelsea and Liverpool balked at that 70 million valuation, City didn't even bother despite needing a decent replacement for Kompany (Stones and Otamendi don't cut it, IMO), hey could be 100% wrong but don't see VVD getting 70 million next season. For Southampton fans like yourself it would be an amazing deal :)

TV deal is up in 2019. It's currently worth £100m a season for every Prem team. It will be even more in 2019. Money is crazy atm

---------------

Why is Osvaldo so mental?

https://youtu.be/Y5zAZsfz08c

Sane_Man

arsenal story has to be cover. if the deal can be done you get it done.

Word on the street was that Liverpool already carried out a medical last night. So in the unlikely event that this is true we could still get him.

Also if we somehow sign VVD I guarantee all the ITK's who said we wouldn't sign him today will make out they were sworn to secrecy.

Carl2291

Apparently Arsenal could've had Lemar for ~£50 Million in July.

Now they're panicking and spending £90 Million.

Joke of a football club.

NHale

Apparently Arsenal could've had Lemar for ~£50 Million in July.

Now they're panicking and spending £90 Million.

Joke of a football club.

But now they backed off because they don't have time to make a deal. They aren't a joke anymore.

My wild guess is: Let's make a £92M offer (leaking to the press) and when they refuse, we are free to sell Alexis because we tried to get a replacement. Oh shit they accepted it? We don't have time for this guys. Abort. Abort.

Word on the street was that Liverpool already carried out a medical last night. So in the unlikely event that this is true we could still get him.

Also if we somehow sign VVD I guarantee all the ITK's who said we wouldn't sign him today will make out they were sworn to secrecy.

I think the story was that Liverpool had a medical team ready in Clairefontaine if a deal could be sorted. Seems like that didn't materialized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom