• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoodyFog

It makes no sense whatsoever. There's no angle I can come at it from where it's of any benefit whatsoever to Monaco.

It is a benefit to make 180M off a player who wants to leave now, rather than wait and have no idea how much you can sell him next year if he doesn't perform.

Madness and incompetence. Selling a 30m rated CB when we are desperate to land another CB to fix our atrocious defence.

I don't what it is he did to deserve to be treated like this, but it would want to have been really fucking bad.

I'm conflicted about it.

There's a very noticeable lack of interest any top team, from anywhere, in Sahko. He might just be shit now. Looking good in a failing Palace side doesn't really say that much.

Sane_Man

It makes no sense whatsoever. There's no angle I can come at it from where it's of any benefit whatsoever to Monaco.

I can only imagine the money they'll get next year was too much to resist and they had a slight fear that he'd underperform this year (if his head drops, or just because he's young and who knows at that age) and the value would plummet. I'd have taken that gamble personally (dunno why i'm putting myself in this scenario, if I had anywhere near that much money to play with I'd buy an island and leave civilisation behind).

King_Moc

Banned
I'm conflicted about it.

There's a very noticeable lack of interest any top team, from anywhere, in Sahko. He might just be shit now. Looking good of a failing Palace side doesn't really say that much.

It's much harder for him to look good at Palace, surely? He'll have had other teams attacks rolling over his defensive team mates left, right and centre. He managed to get nominated for their player of the year award with about 8 appearances.

Sane_Man

So Liverpool aren't signing anyone else. Still think it's a pretty good window overall.

Forget about signings now and focus purely on getting Can to sign a new contract please. That will be huge.

Sane_Man

It's much harder for him to look good at Palace, surely? He'll have had other teams attacks rolling over his defensive team mates left, right and centre. He managed to get nominated for their player of the year award with about 8 appearances.

You would think, but Liverpool have a weird effect on defenders, most likely due to tactics and our aggressive style of play. Lovren looked really good for Southampton. I was hyped by the signing and he's been awful overall.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It is a benefit to make 180M off a player who wants to leave now, rather than wait and have no idea how much you can sell him next year if he doesn't perform.

In the likely event that he has a good season they will likely get as much if not more. It's the part where they are helping their biggest rival circumvent the rules which is particularly head scratching, especially with Real sniffing around him.

Where does Draxler and Di Maria fit in this PSG team now

Surely one of them has to go.

King_Moc

Banned
You would think, but Liverpool have a weird effect on defenders, most likely due to tactics and our aggressive style of play. Lovren looked really good for Southampton. I was hyped by the signing and he's been awful overall.

I've always maintained that any defender will be sloppy under Liverpool's style. To can't play a high pressing, counterattacking style while also being composed at the back. It's only mistakes on set pieces that get to me. There's no excuse there.

MoodyFog

In the likely event that he has a good season they will likely get as much if not more. It's the part where they are helping their biggest rival circumvent the rules which is particularly head scratching, especially with Real sniffing around him.

Is it likely if you block him from a move he wants, though?

And one thing to understand is that Monaco did not expect to win last year's title, they are not a club that actually has to compete so they're not really PSG rivals

#depth

Also Willian might go? I don't know why we'd sell him, unless the price was insane.

No Fucking way. Mahrez is not that big an upgrade over Willian. He is lazy and not a Conte type player. Hazard already doesn't track back so playing Hazard+Mahrez can be risky.
Willian can work as RWB also though if needed. Not sure if he would like that.
Getting Mahrez is okay.
Getting Mahrez for selling Willian is stupid.

Not necessarily. I don't think it's a huge endorsement to look better than Delaney, Dann or Tomkins.

Sane_Man

I've always maintained that any defender will be sloppy under Liverpool's style. To can't play a high pressing, counterattacking style while also being composed at the back. It's only mistakes on set pieces that get to me. There's no excuse there.

Yeah, I agree. All Liverpool fans were salivating about VVD but I guarantee on his first appearance we'd all be bracing ourselves for another flop. I don't think we can sign one or two players, no matter who, and suddenly have a solid defence.

sammex

tumblr_ovk9urV9p31t0grs4o1_1280.png

Haha

TimmmV

Yep, agree.

Also why I think spunking £70m on VvD is silly - he wont be able to solve that much by himself, but more defensive cover in midfield would probably be a more efficient use of transfer funds

Empty

Arsenal should bid for Draxler.

if lemar turns them down i hardly see draxler being interested

it only takes one injury or run of bad form for draxler to get into a side that's going to be one of the favourites for the champions league. it's not like arsenal are going to pay more. silly to leave.

Cappa

Banned
I don't understand this arrangement at all. Why are Monaco helping their biggest rivals cheat the FFP system and losing their best player for a year, rather than keeping him and selling him for that price (or more) next year.
There is no way mbappe will be worth more next season.

Sane_Man

Does anyone remember that United fan who used to post in the football threads before they were banned for a while?.. he was always coming in after awful United performances under Moyes and blaming it all on bad luck or refereeing decisions. I wonder what happened to him.

Cappa

Banned
Does anyone remember that United fan who used to post in the football threads before they were banned for a while?.. he was always coming in after awful United performances under Moyes and blaming it all on bad luck or refereeing decisions. I wonder what happened to him.
I think most of the og footy members have been banned lol they're all on that slate forum or whatever it's called

No chance he will play shit on purpose but he will take a massive shit in the well that is Arsenal. All players that get forced to stay on do it but seeing as Arsenal is in a pretty bad way at the moment it could be bad rather than the nuisance it usually is.

Well if you're a fan, like you said, you probably know that there's no way Sanchez will do that, he will still give his 100% I'm sure.

I'm kinda sorta happy he is staying btw, go Arsenal!

:(

That's why I said "I hope" instead of " I bet".

Alexis in several ways still acts like a kid, a kid that loves to play football, so it's pretty sure he will try his best, but if he is bummed about being forced to play in Arsenal against his will, I can see that affecting his performance.

Time will tell.

Empty

i remember this but not the username, don't think they were a regular just would driveby in with ridiculous spin. though that was at a time where there were so many united fans that you'd get through three pages in this thread between the lineup being announced and kickoff. 90% of the posts arguing about kagawa's position.

He can sign free in January

For next season. I want him to play in the CL this year though.

EDIT: PSG stacked, one of the big favorites for this year. Fuck them twice for that horseshit deal. Loan for 1 year and then buy, clear money below the table to accept that offer from a rival. That's just a way for PSG to have a longer contract for Mbappe than what's legally out. Cunts.

MikeBison

In a lot of ways we've strengthened a lot. Salah is one of those 'missing piece' players like Mane was. Happy with Ox and other dealings. But gutted to miss out on Virgil. He's a monster. And if not him, at least someone. 3 senior centre backs, 1 of which being about 97 years old + Joe Gomez who hasn't looked the same player since his return from injury. Even Ramsey burned him for pace on Sunday.

Annoyingly close to a fucking GREAT team. Proper CB would take us from top 4 to being in the mix for the title IMO.

Still think we'll do alright in Europe. Side is built for competition football really.

King_Moc

Banned

I can't remember his name. Thought he was on my ignore list, but that's empty, it turns out.

Yeah, he was fucking ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom