• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_B

Fuck now I'm worried about Ricciardo if he ever has a few off races.

Take that Ferrari offer mate
It's the other way around. Red Bull needs Ricciardo.

I hope he stays. It should not be long before they have a car that can fight for wins.

Aiii

So not worth it
If the Spanish drivers press conference isn't Max, Kvyat and Vettel then F1 is just batshit stupid, imagine the fun that will be had.

Maybe add Ricciardo and Sainz too, for some extra drama. And then maybe Lewis, he needs a pick-me-up.

DD

X5eW3k.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
Surprises me how often people get tail ended

Going 200~300km an hour while following someone within a few meters who unexpectedly slows a bit earlier then you expect, I'm surprised it doesn't happen at least one a race, really.

nny

Oh wow. Crazy. Poor Kvyat, this must really sting.

...maybe this is one of the new rules to keep the sport entertaining: every few races, two drivers switch teams.

Aiii

So not worth it

...maybe this is one of the new rules to keep the sport entertaining: every few races, two drivers switch teams.

Even better, every seat is put on a piece of paper in a bowl and all the drivers draw on Thursday evening to find out which team they will be driving for that weekend. One week Lewis will be in a Manor, the next weekend he will be in a Ferrari, it would be great.

Whoever draws Mercedes the most becomes WDC.

Fox Mulder

Like the f1 games. Pick a rival in career and get an offer for their seat if you beat them.

Someone should tell Bernie.

Aiii

So not worth it
TORO ROSSO FIRES ENGINEER XEVI PUJOLAR

Slowly but surely the details surrounding the unrest within Scuderia Toro Rosso are emerging. Helmut Marko has been seen by the German press as wanting to create more calm within the team, by swapping Daniil Kvyat and Max Verstappen. According to these sources, this is due to the Dutch and Spanish camps within Toro Rosso have had some arguments in recent months, meaning the situation within the team had become unsustainable.

It has been common knowledge in the paddock that within Toro Rosso there have always been two camps; Verstappen and Sainz. The team exists primarily of Italian and British employees. During the Singapore Grand Prix in 2015, Carlos Sainz and Max Verstappen had a falling-out over a team order and one week later in Japan, their race engineers of had a further argument, again with regards to team orders. This created a great rift between the two camps.

The in-house fighting between Sainz and Verstappen did not improve during the winter and flared-up immediately during the first Grand Prix of the season in Australia. It now appears that this battle has claimed it’s first victim in the form of Xevi Pujolar, Max Verstappens senior race-engineer at Toro Rosso. F1Today.net can exclusively report that he has been fired by the Italian squad.

The Spaniard, who had a great working relationship with the 18 year old Dutchman, of whom he often spoke in admiration, will not be allowed to join Verstappen at Red Bull Racing to continue his role. He will also not fulfill the role of race-engineer for Daniil Kvyat.

Instead the Toro Rosso team leadership has decided to fire Pujolar, hoping to create calm within the team and ensuring a fresh start for Kvyat and Sainz. With the theory of a better cooperation between the two Toro Rosso drivers. Former Manor Team Principal, John Booth was appointed last week as ‘Director of Racing’ and consultant to the team, he now has task of creating renewed harmony in the Italian-based outfit.

http://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/211317/toro-rosso-fires-engineer-xevi-pujolar

Aiii

So not worth it

hamchan

Indeed. Supposedly the Australia incident was a lot bigger than just Max yelling on the radio as well. I've been reading some unsubstantiated reports that even the engineers were fighting among each other over that.

Then there's this fine quote: "In qualifying at Sochi team principal Franz Tost had a blazing row with Verstappen and his race engineer Xevi Pujolar after they had ‘gone freelance’ against the team plan in their choice of tyres."

Tost was not a happy man.

Honestly sounds right now that Verstappen knows he is the most wanted man in F1. He knows that he is Helmut Marko's Wonderboy. So he can pretty much get away with anything he wants because he has leverage and can easily leave for Ferrari or Mercedes if he wants to.

I'm kinda glad about that because RBR as a team seems really unlikable to me, even though I absolutely love most of their drivers.

Aiii

So not worth it
Honestly sounds right now that Verstappen knows he is the most wanted man in F1. He knows that he is Helmut Marko's Wonderboy. So he can pretty much get away with anything he wants because he has leverage and can easily leave for Ferrari or Mercedes if he wants to.

I'm kinda glad about that because RBR as a team seems really unlikable to me, even though I absolutely love most of their drivers.

Sounds like his engineers were on his side, so the guy can't be the monster you imagine him to be if he manages to solicit such dedication. Sounds to me like Sainz and his side of the garage were just as much to blame, either way.

As for leverage, that's all Jos. Man has been through all the politics of F1 himself throughout his career and he's become incredibly adept at playing the political game. Of course helped by Max's talent.

itsgreen

Sounds like his engineers were on his side, so the guy can't be the monster you imagine him to be if he manages to solicit such dedication. Sounds to me like Sainz and his side of the garage were just as much to blame, either way.

As for leverage, that's all Jos. Man has been through all the politics of F1 himself throughout his career and he's become incredibly adept at playing the political game. Of course helped by Max's talent.

Yeah Jos and Raymond are fucking cutthroat.

John_B

Is Jos going to have anything to say at Red Bull? Will Max be yelling NOOO! if they ask him to let Ricciardo past?

Verstappen is a huge talent. Right up there with Hamilton and Vettel. There is no way he won't become a top driver. But it's work in progress at his very young age. Ricciardo should serve them up some humble pie so they can have a needed change in attitude.

itsgreen

Is Jos going to have anything to say at Red Bull? Will Max be yelling NOOO! if they ask him to let Ricciardo past?

Verstappen is a huge talent. Right up there with Hamilton and Vettel. There is no way he won't become a top driver. But it's work in progress at his very young age. Ricciardo should serve them up some humble pie so they can have a needed change in attitude.

I kinda agree, but that sort a thing could break a young drivers career...

Anyhow, this will be a learning year for Max. Word on the street is he is going to get paid on a per point basis, so I hope scores a lot for him :)

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't think Max is unwilling to let a quicker teammate pass if need be. But a slower one while he's driving a stellar race? I doubt that will ever change about him. And to be quite honest, I don't see any top driver doing that.

As for Jos, yeah, that'll be a hard pill for him to swallow, the guy seemed to have a lot of influence in the TR pitbox, that won't fly at Red Bull.

As you say, he's young, he'll mature over time. It's hard to forget he's only just 18, hormones barely settled in heh. Plus those Verstappen genes.

Fun fact I found out about yesterday: Max and Ricciardo live in the same building in Monaco, so that should be fun if they get to be at odds.

Danielsan

I think Ricciardo will serve to be a good team mate for Max. I'm fairly certain that Max will show him respect and he'll be able to further mature with Danny as his senior team mate.

yami4ct

Sounds like a mess of egos going on in the paddock, but then again I'm sure that's near every F1 team.

Would not be shocked if this eventually spins out into a split between RBR and STR. That's been an ongoing rumor for a while.

Zaru

I hope Riccy serves Verstappen up some humble pie.

He's 8 years his senior and has a lot more F1 and general formula car racing experience. Not to mention he's used to the car and the team.
If anything, it'd be highly embarrassing for Riccy, a guy who beat Vettel, if he couldn't severely outperform Max this year.

Aiii

So not worth it
Excuses. After Kvyat's demotion, Russia has cancelled all motorsport. In fact, all citizens are now disallowed from using any transportation that uses wheels.

Russia is set to introduce Formula H next year:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom