• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
Mind you, Red Bull has access to all the data, so I'm sure they know exactly how Max's pace is compared to the other three drivers. I doubt they expect him to be as fast as Ricciardo from the get-go, but they'll know what to expect from him in the latter half of the season.

And as someone said, they probably signed him to a two year deal post 2016, if they're smart.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
People make mistakes, just few years ago Grosjean was in a much worse position, but he always have shown regret and was apologetic. This guys wants to "do it again"

Yeah. If he retained that attitude internally, I can imagine that its this that pissed off the team and led to the final decision. I don't think that neither his general performance nor his mistakes would be enough to replace him mid-season.

chadskin

Damn, certainly didn't expect this to happen but I can't wait to see Max in the RB.

Now we just need to get Stoffel in an F1 car next year.

Mastah

James Roberts ‏@JRobertsF1 2h2 hours ago

There might be more to this. I heard there was a blazing row Sat night in Sochi between Franz Tost and the Verstappen camp! Coincidence?

Also they hired John Booth, who is known for being very strict, just before Russia...

mclem

Yes, their points are their points. Their Constructor's point stay with their old constructors.

Their engines are per car, not driver, so Kvyat inherints Max's broken engine from Sochi.

There's gotta be a way to exploit that!

(Possibly not one that's worth the effort, mind)

Also they hired John Booth, who is known for being very strict, just before Russia...

Yeah this is a Marko thing protecting his protegé (and his reputation) while throwing Kvyat under the bus.

(No, I don't think Kvyat has a chance of recovering his seat).

Seems like they were looking for an opportunity to railroad Kvyat for Verstappen and Sochi was the trigger.
No way is this just about one bad weekend.

Mastah

Kvyat and Sainz were team mates in:

2010 - Formula BMW
2011 - Formula Renault 2.0
2013 - GP3

And now in 2016 F1 season.

MrKaepora

I'm sorry but I can only see this as a dick move by redbull under the influence of Vettel.

Anyone comparing Kvyat's last race with the overtaking in China are insane. If in that situation you think Kvyat shouldn't go for the gap maybe you're watching the wrong sport

Kvyat made a mistake, I don't think that's enough to demote him. He isn't a team player? Funny thing that it took this many races to figure that out.

hamchan

OK, things get VERY interesting for Wonderboy.

If he underperforms, does he get kicked back to Toro Rosso?
Or he's essentially the 2017 driver?

Marko really is a cold SOB.

I think Max has secured his spot now. He would have to really screw up badly over an extended period of time to lose it. He's Wonderboy after all.

I'm sorry but I can only see this as a dick move by redbull under the influence of Vettel.

lol... really? I know I joked about Vettel having a word, but this has clearly been in the pipeline for some time.

The best analysis is that one of the other bigger teams was lining Max up and Red Bull had to act fast.

I think Max has secured his spot now. He would have to really screw up badly over an extended period of time to lose it. He's Wonderboy after all.

Yes Wonderboy moniker totally vindicated.

Poor Kvyat, his Red Bull career is pretty much over (unless he starts winning races).

lol... really? I know I joked about Vettel having a word, but this has clearly been in the pipeline for some time.

The best analysis is that one of the other bigger teams was lining Max up and Red Bull had to act fast.
Exactly. Though I do think Kvyat will be pretty shaken up mentally. His team was actively looking to pounce on his mistakes to justify a demotion.

MrKaepora

It's too much of a coincidence that this happened after that Horner Vettel pit talk.

jdw_b

It's too much of a coincidence that this happened after that Horner Vettel pit talk.

It is a coincidence

If you genuinely think that RB make decisions based on the opinion of a former driver then you're either extremely naive or want to make Vettel out to be the bad guy

The decision makes complete sense to me. They're not going to win the title this year so get the fastest guy in the seat ready for next year when they might be ready to challenge. If the faster guy happens to be Verstappen, then so be it

John_B

Now we just need to get Stoffel in an F1 car next year.
There are many contracts that has yet to be extended for next season. I feel like both Raikkonen and Massa would choose to retire if they have to find seats further down the grid. Button is staying though. He would be a great fit for Williams if dropped from McLaren.

There should be a seat for Vandoorne. It would be crazy if he is not signed. He is ripe and more than sufficiently prepared. The dude jumped into an F1 car with a day's notice and outperformed Jenson Button.

There are many contracts that has yet to be extended for next season. I feel like both Raikkonen and Massa would choose to retire if they have to find seats further down the grid. Button is staying though. He would be a great fit for Williams if dropped from McLaren.

There should be a seat for Vandoorne. It would be crazy if he is not signed. He is ripe and more than sufficiently prepared. The dude jumped into an F1 car with a day's notice and outperformed Jenson Button.

Haas becomes Haas-Alfa Romeo.

Sauber becomes Sauber-Honda.

WIN.

Merino

Makes you look at Kvyat's response to Vettel after the China GP alot different now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn6_2QfmOxM

Kvyat: “Oh yeah I can see all the three cars, man, come on! I have only two eyes, two cars.”

Vettel: “We crash if you do that.”

Kvyat: “Well we didn’t.”

Vettel: “No, you didn’t! I know it’s racing but if you attack like a crazy you can damage the car … You were lucky this time. There was damage to Kimi.”

Kvyat: “I am on the podium, so it’s Ok, you are on the podium.”
And now you've gotten demoted, hope that podium was worth it and it's still all Ok.

A vote for Kyvat is a vote for mediocracy. Don't support mediocracy, its the reason boring 'number 2' drivers continue in F1.
Kyvat did NOTHING, he was semi-solid but not stunning.

Max is talent, no doubt, and now we get to see him get in a RBR and take it to Danny Ric.

Fans of the sport should be delighted the 'next big thing' is promoted to a top 4 team.
Reminds me of Hammy's debut, let see what happens.

Wow, this was quite unexpected

I'm still a little shocked. It seems like a complete overreaction from Red Bull and super cut-throat. Kvyat must be in shambles, mentally speaking. It's hard to see a comeback from this. Last year I already joked about he was just there to keep the seat warm for Max, but damn.

Icefire1424

Fuck now I'm worried about Ricciardo if he ever has a few off races.

Take that Ferrari offer mate

Eh, I think this is a pretty different circumstance, and had a lot to do with Kvyat's attitude and immaturity. That, and Riccardo is a better driver. He's not going anywhere unless it's on his own terms.

Eh, I think this is a pretty different circumstance, and had a lot to do with Kvyat's attitude and immaturity. That, and Riccardo is a better driver. He's not going anywhere unless it's on his own terms.

If immaturity was one of their issues, getting Max wasn't the best solution then. ;-)

dubc35

Whoa, crazy news. I did not expect that to happen. As mentioned in a couple posts, there must be a lot going on behind the scenes that we aren't seeing.

If immaturity was one of their issues, getting Max wasn't the best solution then. ;-)

ha, indeed!

chadskin

ChsMUFLW0AAkK0_.jpg:large

I don't see the logic behind this driver "switcheroo", not a straight up equal case but, back in '09 when Fisichella replaced Massa he was nowhere compared to the pace of Raikkonen, because he didn't know the car and had to pretty much learn from it each race meeting, I think something like this might happen with the Kvyat/Verstappen change. In the case it doesn't happen though, Verstappen stands more to win from this than Kvyat.

I don't see the logic behind this driver "switcheroo", not a straight up equal case but, back in '09 when Fisichella replaced Massa he was nowhere compared to the pace of Raikkonen, because he didn't know the car and had to pretty much learn from it each race meeting, I think something like this might happen with the Kvyat/Verstappen change. In the case it doesn't happen though, Verstappen stands more to win from this than Kvyat.

You're right, it rarely works out, and I do expect him to be off the pace a bit initially. That said, he has a ton of things going for him. Not the least of which is 17 more races this year to get it figured out.

markao

Unexpected, brutal and not sure what to make of it.

Over for Daniil at RB, if they think you can't handle pressure, they are not going to trust him ever again.

For Max, feeling again it is to soon. He proved me wrong with his start in F1, but switching mid season to a top team, means everyone he does is being put under a microscope again.

Does make the next weekend in Spain a hole lot more entertaining ;)

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Would be hilarious if Verstappen crashes into Vettel at the start of the next race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom