• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem, at least from my point of view, are the expectations on Verstappen. I feel like people won't give him enough time to get accustomed to the situation and if he's not going to crush it day one, it won't be seen as a worthwhile trade.

"Look at little Wonderboy here. Not even in the top 5. Should've kept Kvyat".

I don't actually care if he does well or not, but it seems as unfair as booting Kvyat for the two racing incidents.

DD

The problem, at least from my point of view, are the expectations on Verstappen. I feel like people won't give him enough time to get accustomed to the situation and if he's not going to crush it day one, it won't be seen as a worthwhile trade.

I don't actually care if he does well or not, but it seems as unfair as booting Kvyat for the two racing incidents.
Red Bull knows very well that he probably won't be on the same pace as the both Danys. They're preparing this to happen in 2017, and that's when things will probably get hard for Ricciardo, cuz if he keeps beating Max, well, that's because he's more experienced. But if Max beat Daniel, well, he's a brilliant driver!

Dan should look for another seat ASAP, IMO.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ocon will drive on Barcelona test on the first day for Renault and on the second day for Mercedes
Williams will have their young protege Lynn in the car on day one.

Good. Say what you will about the Red Bull Ring but it's hardly a particularly exhilarating race track.

You are correct, it is fairly basic (but it is the nearest F1 track to me :p )
aerial-austria-x-planeat.jpg

Elevation changes are what is making this track great

Here is a bit about track history and you can see old layout, which they will probably try to rebuild - they already paved a part of the track straight out of the first corner and they did some groundwork at hairpin on the top of the hill (third corner). Another possibility is with going left on the hairpin down through the forest and back up around and then switch to the track at the beginning of upper straight.

hadareud

The Translator
I very much doubt that they will change the layout of Spielberg significantly, certainly to nothing like what the old Österreichring was.

They barely got the permissions to re-open it with the track as it is now, there's virtually no way that they'd be allowed to make drastic changes to the track.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
It's not even that they are doing a bad job. Ferrari has been better than the rest of the field quite often over the last seasons, except for one other team. Their only issue is that there is always one other single team that somehow manages to completely dominate them. #ForeverNo2

It's not even that they are doing a bad job. Ferrari has been dominating the rest of the field quite often over the last seasons. Their only issue is that there is always one other single team that somehow manages to completely dominate them. #ForeverNo2

#TheBarrichelloCurse

Zaru

It's not even that they are doing a bad job. Ferrari has been better than the rest of the field quite often over the last seasons, except for one other team. Their only issue is that there is always one other single team that somehow manages to completely dominate them. #ForeverNo2

The Schumacher years made me forget that their only other champion driver since 1979 was Raikkönen, and that was with a lot of luck. Other than that, they've placed second in the constructor's championship a whopping 9 times in that timespan, and third for 8 times.

Alonso probably wanted to repeat Schumacher's story. But their difference was the 5th season, where Schumacher finally clinched a championship while Alonso only slipped further away. That must've broken him.

I wonder how long Vettel will last. Maybe the new regulations will mix things up enough to give him a real chance, but who'd bet their money on that at this point?

Part of me always thinks "at least they're not as bad as McLaren", but then I realize that it doesn't matter where you finish, if you're not winning. Might as well battle with the Manor.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
No trust in the yearly amazing Barcelona upgrade from Ferrari, eh?

There won't be huge upgrade from Ferrari, their engine upgrade was moved to Russia. Probably they will have some new aero stuff.
We will see a lot of new stuff from teams in Canada though.

I very much doubt that they will change the layout of Spielberg significantly, certainly to nothing like what the old Österreichring was.

They barely got the permissions to re-open it with the track as it is now, there's virtually no way that they'd be allowed to make drastic changes to the track.

Well, since the Red Bull has the ownership, everything is possible (€€€€). Probably not until 2018, but I think that they will extend the track to get endurance race, either 6 hours of Spielberg or even part of WEC calendar.

hadareud

The Translator
Oh they have the money. But there's all sorts of local opposition to the track and they would need planning permission if they want to make any significant changes and they are not likely to get it.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Charlie-Whiting-Hermann-Tilke-Inspektion-Baku-Street-Circuit-2016-fotoshowBig-372879e5-947711.jpg

That's quite the layer of asphalt. Street is even higher than the sidewalk afterwards. Baku is not messing around. It will all be removed after the race.

Lach

I just remembered that New Jersey race that was announced a few years ago. Is this dead or just indefinetly postponed?

xrnzaaas

Charlie-Whiting-Hermann-Tilke-Inspektion-Baku-Street-Circuit-2016-fotoshowBig-372879e5-947711.jpg

That's quite the layer of asphalt. Street is even higher than the sidewalk afterwards. Baku is not messing around. It will all be removed after the race.

Geez doing this every year seems like a lot of (expensive) work. It's not like with Monaco where you "only" have to worry about setting up barriers and stands.

Ferrari Barcelona upgrade hype is getting to me, putting up Vettel as winner for my predictions !

LEZZZZ GOOOO!

Don't forget the merc winning 1-2 in your predictions with one of them blowing up and the other setting fastest lap ever recorded with only 1ml of fuel over the legal limit at the end of the race in what was a difficult, critical time and the car almost never finished the race etc etc etc etc

Aiii

So not worth it
So if Ferrari are going to be winning races, and Red Bull are going to be winning races, and Rosberg wins every race, are we gonna need a bigger podium to fit all the winners?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Ferrari Barcelona upgrade hype is getting to me, putting up Vettel as winner for my predictions !

LEZZZZ GOOOO!

qsSj2L6.gif

In ernest, I am expecting Ferrari to win a few races, just like last season. Maybe even more than three. Their car is pretty good in race trim. However, I'll eat my hat if the Mercs don't retain their dominance throughout the season.

Zeknurn

@tgruener: Unfortunately Vettel is not invited to FIA press conference in Spain. But at least Kvyat, Verstappen & Sainz are. (+ Alonso & Magnussen)
@tgruener: Did I forget Hamilton? He is also invited to the press conference. So it's Hamilton, Magnussen, Alonso, Kvyat, Verstappen & Sainz. #AMuS

I bet Sainz is going to be laughing internally.

I just remembered that New Jersey race that was announced a few years ago. Is this dead or just indefinetly postponed?

It's going to happen when Trump is elected. #makef1greatagain

What are the legitimate expectations for a driver that skipped junior categories and in a year and a few races is promoted to a senior team? Seriously, if the premise is he is so talented, why can't we expect him to be competitive with Ricci at worst in a couple races?

Chuck

Still without luck
I don't think I can handle that press-conference. I'm feeling so awkward just thinking about it that I'm starting to sweat.
Yeah awkwardness like that is tough to chew. All the bullshit they're prepping saying instead of the honest "We don't want to lose Verstappen"

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mercedes is bringing huge upgrade package to Barcelona, new floor, rear wing and FW modifications are rumored.

He must tell shareholders something positive.

I fully expect first rolling heads in Maranello if they don't win in next three races

Mercedes is bringing huge upgrade package to Barcelona, new floor, rear wing and FW modifications are rumored.

He must tell shareholders something positive.

I fully expect first rolling heads in Maranello if they don't win in next three races

Short of Mercedes AMG Petronas blowing up i find that very unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom