• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
The risky strategy was the two-stop, which is why Max and Kimi were on it and not the lead drivers. Sometimes, the risky strategy pays off.

On-screen they showed a Pirelli-recommended 3-stop strategy with 3x Softs and 1x Medium. Both Vettel and Ricciardo went for 2x Softs and 2x Mediums which I don't quite get.

Aiii

So not worth it
On-screen they showed a Pirelli-recommended 3-stop strategy with 3x Softs and 1x Medium. Both Vettel and Ricciardo went for 2x Softs and 2x Mediums which I don't quite get.

It was also the preferred tire for most of winter testing, the medium, it seems to be the better tire for the cars on this track.

There's always next year, my friend.

Trying not to cry

tumblr_static_lie-down-try-not-to-cry-cry-a-lot.jpg

Every. Race.

Marlenus

Rosberg did not break regulation 27.7, see the verdict of the stewards just a couple of posts above yours.

“The incident concerned started when car 6 [Rosberg] dropped into an incorrect power mode, as set by the driver prior to the start. This created a significant power differential between car 6 and car 44 at the exit of turn three coming onto the straight, resulting in as much as a 17kph speed difference between the two cars on the straight.”

“Car 6 moved to the right to defend his position, as is his right under [Article] 27.7 of the Sporting regulations. Simultaneously car 44 as the significantly faster car with, at that time, apparent space on the inside, moved to make the pass. [Article] 27.7 requires the leading driver to leave room, if there is a “significant portion” of the car attempting to pass alongside.”

“Car 44 had a portion of his front wing inside car 6 small fractions of a second prior to car 44 having to leave the right side of the track to avoid an initial collision, which may have led him to believe he had the right to space on the right. Once on the grass on the side of the track car 44 was no longer in control of the situation.”

“Having heard extensively from both drivers and from the team, the stewards determined that car 6 had the right to make the manoeuvre that he did and that car 44’s attempt to overtake was reasonable, and that the convergence of events led neither driver to be wholly or predominantly at fault, and therefore take no further action.”

In a nut shell it says that they both went for the inside at the same time, Hamilton just about got his car alongside (as per the definition of alongside for reg 27.7) but it happened so fast Rosberg did not have chance to react.

So Rosberg technically broke it but in these specific circumstances, the closing speed and the timing of Hamilton getting his car alongside were extenuating circumstances making it a racing incident which I agree with.

However from a team POV should Rosberg really have chopped across his team mate in that manor knowing he has a significant power deficit due to his own mistake?

“The incident concerned started when car 6 [Rosberg] dropped into an incorrect power mode, as set by the driver prior to the start. This created a significant power differential between car 6 and car 44 at the exit of turn three coming onto the straight, resulting in as much as a 17kph speed difference between the two cars on the straight.”

“Car 6 moved to the right to defend his position, as is his right under [Article] 27.7 of the Sporting regulations. Simultaneously car 44 as the significantly faster car with, at that time, apparent space on the inside, moved to make the pass. [Article] 27.7 requires the leading driver to leave room, if there is a “significant portion” of the car attempting to pass alongside.”

“Car 44 had a portion of his front wing inside car 6 small fractions of a second prior to car 44 having to leave the right side of the track to avoid an initial collision, which may have led him to believe he had the right to space on the right. Once on the grass on the side of the track car 44 was no longer in control of the situation.”

“Having heard extensively from both drivers and from the team, the stewards determined that car 6 had the right to make the manoeuvre that he did and that car 44’s attempt to overtake was reasonable, and that the convergence of events led neither driver to be wholly or predominantly at fault, and therefore take no further action.”

In a nut shell it says that they both went for the inside at the same time, Hamilton just about got his car alongside (as per the definition of alongside for reg 27.7) but it happened so fast Rosberg did not have chance to react.

So Rosberg technically broke it but in these specific circumstances, the closing speed and the timing of Hamilton getting his car alongside were extenuating circumstances making it a racing incident which I agree with.

However from a team POV should Rosberg really have chopped across his team mate in that manor knowing he has a significant power deficit due to his own mistake?

The quote LITERALLY says that Rosberg did not break reg 27.7.

xrnzaaas

Spectacular win for Max, I didn't expect him to handle all that pressure. I wouldn't mind if Mercedes cars didn't finish races more often, especially on such boring tracks as Catalunya.

Marlenus

The quote LITERALLY says that Rosberg did not break reg 27.7.

*[Article] 27.7 requires the leading driver to leave room, if there is a “significant portion” of the car attempting to pass alongside.”

“Car 44 had a portion of his front wing inside car 6 small fractions of a second prior to car 44 having to leave the right side of the track to avoid an initial collision, which may have led him to believe he had the right to space on the right.”

That does not literally say Rosberg did not break 27.7. It says that Hamilton had gotten some of his car alongside prior to going off track.

Would applying 27.7 exactly as written be a bit harsh, yes because of how little time Rosberg had to react but it does not say he did not break the regulation.

You could also apply 27.8 Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted.

Marlenus

Portion vs Significant Portion?

quoted from article 27.7 of the sporting regs "For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wing of the car attempting to pass is alongside the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a ‘significant portion’."

*[Article] 27.7 requires the leading driver to leave room, if there is a “significant portion” of the car attempting to pass alongside.”

“Car 44 had a portion of his front wing inside car 6 small fractions of a second prior to car 44 having to leave the right side of the track to avoid an initial collision, which may have led him to believe he had the right to space on the right.”

That does not literally say Rosberg did not break 27.7. It says that Hamilton had gotten some of his car alongside prior to going off track.

Would applying 27.7 exactly as written be a bit harsh, yes because of how little time Rosberg had to react but it does not say he did not break the regulation.

You could also apply 27.8 Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted.

Yes, it does!

“Car 6 moved to the right to defend his position, as is his right under [Article] 27.7 of the Sporting regulations. Simultaneously car 44 as the significantly faster car with, at that time, apparent space on the inside, moved to make the pass. [Article] 27.7 requires the leading driver to leave room, if there is a “significant portion” of the car attempting to pass alongside.
Having heard extensively from both drivers and from the team, the stewards determined that car 6 had the right to make the manoeuvre that he did and that car 44’s attempt to overtake was reasonable, and that the convergence of events led neither driver to be wholly or predominantly at fault, and therefore take no further action.”

Shaneus

Danny not happy:

The first driver should have the best strategy

Unlike 99% of the drivers I was trying to overtake

Seb said I was a bit aggresive on the radio...typical.
Understandable. Do they not give drivers options of strategies? Clearly the Medium was the one to go this weekend. Have to think Danny would've picked that if he had the choice.

Should probably stop calling him Mad Max.

Australians have a bad history of getting screwed over in RBR after all. :)
Hmmmm :/

The stuff about “significant portion” and stuff doesn't mean you can divebomb alongside your opponent and then expect the other driver is forced to leave space instantly.

That's not what the rules sate or even be reasonable from a racing perspective. If we are really going that route then it would mean that it would have been Vettel's fault if Ricciardo crashed into Vettel when Ricciardo missed the breaking point.

Marlenus

Yes, it does!

“Car 6 moved to the right to defend his position, as is his right under [Article] 27.7 of the Sporting regulations. Simultaneously car 44 as the significantly faster car with, at that time, apparent space on the inside, moved to make the pass. [Article] 27.7 requires the leading driver to leave room, if there is a “significant portion” of the car attempting to pass alongside.
Having heard extensively from both drivers and from the team, the stewards determined that car 6 had the right to make the manoeuvre that he did and that car 44’s attempt to overtake was reasonable, and that the convergence of events led neither driver to be wholly or predominantly at fault, and therefore take no further action.”

Lets do some very simple logic here and let me show you why you are incorrect.

1) 27.7 requires the leading driver to leave room, if there is a significant portion of the car attempting to pass alongside.
2) significant portion is defined as any part of the front wing of the attacker being alongside the rear wheels of the defender.
3) Car 44 had a portion of his front wing inside car 6. As can be seen in the replays this was front wing to rear tyre so satisfies the definition of significant portion.

That means by the rule as written Rosberg should have stopped moving across and left Hamilton space on the inside.

Now when you consider that Rosberg and Hamilton made their moves to the inside at pretty much the exact same time you can see exactly why this happened and why it was declared a racing incident.

Had Rosberg been a tad faster, or got his car across a tad earlier and Hamilton had still gone off track and crashed it would be Hamilton at fault and he would have deserved a penalty. OTOH had Hamilton been a tad faster, or got his car alongside a tad earlier then Rosberg would have been deemed at fault and he would have deserved a penalty.

The stuff about “significant portion” and stuff doesn't mean you can divebomb alongside your opponent and then expect the other driver is forced to leave space instantly.

That's not what the rules sate or even be reasonable from a racing perspective. If we are really going that route then it would mean that it would have been Vettel's fault if Ricciardo crashed into Vettel when Ricciardo missed the breaking point.

27.7 only applies when defending on a straight, it is a bit different in corners and generally speaking if you dive bomb someone after they have committed to taking the corner it is your fault if they hit you as physics pretty much makes it next to impossible for the person on the outside line to modify their line enough to avoid contact.

Aiii

So not worth it
Laugh it up, but when Danny beats Max by 3 spots next race, everyone will get quiet about this kid that they think is better than he is.

You already exceeded the daily salt intake by a landslide with your OP, might want to relax a little, can't be healthy.

Apenheul

This had to be one of the most interesting races I've watched in 20 years, after the race was over I realized that the camera had been focused on the top 4 drivers pretty much the entire race. Verstappen continues to impress, exceeding everyone's expectations in his first race with Red Bull Racing and drove flawlessly. Ricciardo had a bit of bad luck with his pit stop and Vettel defended admirably. Things might have turned out differently had the Mercedes cars still be in the race but one thing's for sure and that's that Verstappen is the one to watch this season.

Megasoum

Banned
Luck was a big part of ANY wins in the last 3 seasons that wasn't by Mercedes.

It's part of the sport. Nothing wrong with that.

Ark

You make your own luck, and Verstappen made sure he was in the right place at the right time. Sure Ricciardo or Vettel arguably should have won the race, but the strategies didn't play out and ultimately Verstappen was in the position to benefit from that the most.

Who cares whether Verstappen is better than Ricciardo? I want them both to be amazing.

Shaneus

Vaguely related, with about 20 laps to go I realised that I was happy with any of the top four winning the race. Nice feeling compared to normal.
Oh, wasn't it just? I think it's the most exciting race we've had in years. Shame there were a few backmarkers here and there messing with things a bit in terms of the top four fighting it out, but it was still a fantastic race to watch.

Still think I love Danny beasting out that hot lap in Q3 is my favourite moment though, guy is just a talent.

RoKKeR

I love that Williams is 5/5 for fastest pitstops, but can't come up with a viable rave strategy or even sniff the front runners yesterday. Just disappointing after the last 2 years in which it felt like they were building towards another step forward.

dubc35

I love that Williams is 5/5 for fastest pitstops, but can't come up with a viable rave strategy or even sniff the front runners yesterday. Just disappointing after the last 2 years in which it felt like they were building towards another step forward.

Williams really has failed to impress after being fast out of the gate with this Formula.

hamchan

Is it just me or is Riccardo's smile is so boring.. it was cute when he first came under the limelight but I always found it a bit annoying

It's just you. Especially in a sport filled with stone faced, cold assholes, seeing someone who is mostly smiles and seems actually happy to be there is unique.

Grats to Verstappen, was lucky though.

Read that Danny Riccy wasn't happy about the strategy decision. Will be interesting to see, if anything comes of that.

Also, the way in which sky was trying to bait Rosberg into an argument after the race was fucking disgusting. If i were head of Mercedes PR and ban her from speaking to the drivers. What a twat.

hamchan

Grats to Verstappen, was lucky though.

Read that Danny Riccy wasn't happy about the strategy decision. Will be interesting to see, if anything comes of that.

Also, the way in which sky was trying to bait Rosberg into an argument after the race was fucking disgusting. If i were head of Mercedes PR and ban her from speaking to the drivers. What a twat.

The best part of that was Rosberg going "I didn't say that", leaving an awkward silence while just staring right at her, leaving her stumbling about what to ask next. Good on him for holding his ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom