• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldrusher

Dunno if this photo was already posted or not. :)

111nyu41.jpg

Even if it was, it's better than anything Formula E related.

Aiii

So not worth it
FE is fun.

It's also complete amateur hour. The cars sound like wind-up toys and look like plastic crap. The dumb sound-effects like when there's a full-course yellow or during the warm-up lap are stupid. The tracks are shit. Half the drivers aren't worth a damn and the other half are F1 rejects. The pit-stops are completely laughable. And to top it all off, they had to demand a ton of cars to pit because they made their cars so that the second they hit something shit breaks off... While all their tracks are street races with barriers and close quarter racing and the second something breaks it's in a critical position and the race needs to be neutralised.

It's fun, but it's also complete shit.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Imagine if Sky crew could talk with F1 drivers during the race. Lewis would probably crash on every race

FE is fun.

they had to demand a ton of cars to pit because they made their cars so that the second they hit something shit breaks off... While all their tracks are street races with barriers and close quarter racing and the second something breaks it's in a critical position and the race needs to be neutralised.

It's fun, but it's also complete shit.
So true, they have this stupid front and rear wheel "guards" that are completely useless they really need to redesign that, just make a narrow flat single plane front wing, after all areodynamic downforce is pretty low on these cars they don't reach that high speeds

Megasoum

Banned
Speaking of stuff Indycar does...

I've always wondered why F1 does not copy the special qualification finish line used by a bunch of other series. Basically they move the finish line to BEFORE the pit entrance during qualification. This way they don't have to do an inlap which means that there's less traffic on the track, gives them time to do more laps and even saves fuel so they can say that it's good for the environement.

chadskin

Follow-up regarding the F3 crash:
Peter Li Zhi Cong has been diagnosed with broken bones in his heel, which will require surgery, and four fractured vertebrae, which will not require surgery, his team released in a statement.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Eric Boullier had a martini or eight too much

McLaren-Honda can outpace Ferrari F1 team in Monaco GP

Boullier believes McLaren has the third-best chassis in F1 - a position he is sure the team already held in 2015 but thinks it has now consolidated at Williams and Ferrari's expense.

And Ron Dennis join the fray

McLaren will dethrone Mercedes, says Dennis
"I honestly believe that the next world champions after Mercedes will be McLaren," Dennis told the BBC.

tomtom94

I bet we'll see a GP in the Netherlands soon..

James Hunt would be pleased.

EDIT: Actually, this has reminded me of something: why the fuck is there no mention of the 1975 Dutch Grand Prix in the film Rush? Seems like a pretty glaring oversight to me...

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Looks like Monza will really get that makeover next year. First chicane will be moved into the middle of the Curva Grande - this will make the start/finish straight one of the longest,with almost 1400 meters in length, and track will be very similar to the Dunlop chicane in Le Mans. Here is a plan in pdf

Two power units per season is going to be rough. I wonder if any of the teams will able to adhere to it.

Ferrari or Honda will burn that quota in fist two races for sure.

Zaru

Two power units per season is going to be rough. I wonder if any of the teams will able to adhere to it.
I think it was 2005 that engines suddenly had to last 2 race weekends, now we're at practically 5. We've come a long way. These engines will usually be driven to the limit of their reliability.

Potential issues though:
- You can't realistically drive even half of that kind of distance in on-track testing
- Accidents that might not even be your fault can damage the PU and further punish you (pun intended)

And correct me if I'm wrong, but even though tokens will be gone, doesn't that mean putting certain upgrades into the engine might count as a new PU anyway?

Looks like Monza will really get that makeover next year. First chicane will be moved into the middle of the Curva Grande

That one's never gonna catch a break, is it? In the time I've watched F1 (around 17 years), this will be the third completely different version of it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

well they wanted some way to mix the starting grid up - having half the grid going backwards because of engine penalties will do that.

What qualifies as 'an engine' though - how much can you rebuild/refurbish a used engine?

Zeknurn

I think it was 2005 that engines suddenly had to last 2 race weekends, now we're at practically 5. We've come a long way. These engines will usually be driven to the limit of their reliability.

Potential issues though:
- You can't realistically drive even half of that kind of distance in on-track testing
- Accidents that might not even be your fault can damage the PU and further punish you (pun intended)

And correct me if I'm wrong, but even though tokens will be gone, doesn't that mean putting certain upgrades into the engine might count as a new PU anyway?

You're right, this mean teams will have one set of new power unit parts with which they can introduce upgrades before incurring penalties.

Ideally they wouldn't punish drivers for damage done to power units because of accidents but that's not enforceable because teams will find a way to get free updates.

I expect them to backtrack on the change and stick with 4 power units per season, but it's a few years out, who knows what will happen.

Zaru

You're right, this mean teams will have one set of new power unit parts with which they can introduce upgrades before incurring penalties.

I can basically feel that some teams would do the math and come to the conclusion that taking penalties would be better.

Example with fantasy numbers:

"We can run this engine at 90% of the max performance and make it last 10 races, or we can run this engine at 95% of the max performance and make it last 5 races.
Assuming 2 grid penalties and a DNF or two, our results would likely still be better"

I'm going by the assumption that F1 engines are never at 100% performance except for short bursts that the drivers have to activate in Quali or overtaking

Hadn't Rosberg's engine he won the last races with last year done a ton of races? I seem to recall his upgraded engine (#4) was damaged and he had to do the rest on engine #3?

Zaru

Because it's an amazing looking location and for once it's not a 20 meter wide Tilke-track with tons of run-off area.

Bring on more unique tracks with no margin of driver errors, lets spice up those races.

I'm with you on the issue of tracks leaving too much room for errors that go unpunished, but look at that castle passage. If a crash happens there, how will they even remove the car? That's a red flag just waiting to happen.

Monaco has decades of experience with that and they still manage to crane-drop historic cars on the race track, so I can't imagine this working well for Baku... but we'll see.

Zeknurn

I can basically feel that some teams would do the math and come to the conclusion that taking penalties would be better.

Example with fantasy numbers:

"We can run this engine at 90% of the max performance and make it last 10 races, or we can run this engine at 95% of the max performance and make it last 5 races.
Assuming 2 grid penalties and a DNF or two, our results would likely still be better"

I'm going by the assumption that F1 engines are never at 100% performance except for short bursts that the drivers have to activate in Quali or overtaking

The hope is that by 2019, the development of the power units should have plateaued, meaning there's not any upgrades substantial enough to bring during the season.

That's looking very narrow. And the castle will be left unprotected?

111mpumh.jpg

It's 7,5m wide and they are going to put barriers against the castle. You can easily fit two cars through there and there's no doubt Verstappen will try. I highly recommend watching the early trackwalk Ted Kravitz did a few races ago.

I doubt it, but that section of the track will probably be Monaco hairpin-style slow.

Not at all. It's a pretty straight chicane and drivers will be doing it at a high speed unless they want to be compromised for the next section.

It reminds me more of Macau than Monaco, and Macau is dope, so I'm okay with it.

Fun fact: there's a turn so tight in Macau that it's actually forbidden to overtake there.

I've driven there!

In PGR4, the best racing game ever to be released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom