• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
It's a shame those guys know next to nothing about F1. Especially once they need to go back further then 5 years ago.

It's a shame those guys know next to nothing about F1. Especially once they need to go back further then 5 years ago.

I don't really mind their lack of knowledge regarding the history of the sport. But knowing the basic rules and remembering the tire names, colors and what the icons on TV stand for isn't too much to ask for, I think. Especially after a couple of years of doing the podcast. I still like the podcast and find it quite entertaining (the shitty Ricciardo impressions won't ever leave my head again), but not knowing some basic stuff does get on my nerves.

They also stopped doing the "track walks" in the pre-race episodes and put them behind the pay wall? At least that's how I understood it in the last episode.

Chuck

Still without luck
I don't really mind their lack of knowledge regarding the history of the sport. But knowing the basic rules and remembering the tire names, colors and what the icons on TV stand for isn't too much to ask for, I think. Especially after a couple of years of doing the podcast. I still like the podcast and find it quite entertaining (the shitty Ricciardo impressions won't ever leave my head again), but not knowing some basic stuff does get on my nerves.

They also stopped doing the "track walks" in the pre-race episodes and put them behind the pay wall? At least that's how I understood it in the last episode.
They're doing their best! They get it wrong sometimes but they're really good about correcting.

And the podcast used to be behind a pay-wall, as did all the stuff associated with it like the videos. Just this year they removed the pay-wall for the cast and decided that they didn't need to run down the detail for every turn like they used to, so they opted for the highlights of the tracks instead. If you'd rather more detail you should let 'em know on Twitter or something. They're always listening to feedback.

dubc35

I would've gone with "the incoherent ramblings of an old man likely suffering the effects of a degenerative brain disorder". But pandering works too.

It's not that though, he knows exactly what he is saying. He is in the entertainment business and in entertainment there is no such thing as bad publicity. He knows it will create clickbait articles to get people talking about F1 (and it has already)

Plus, let's keep in mind he is getting paid by someone/some entity in Baku to go there. The greedy troll is not going to do anything to jeopardize money he is due. Heck, maybe there are bonuses tied to talking shit about other places in compared to Baku.

Aiii

So not worth it
13419128_1091924297520725_5929448868454688550_n.jpg

Oh my...

Mastah

GP2 practice just started and... some camera angles are truly awful.

There is service vehicle in one of run off areas, WTF?

Mastah

GP2 practice summary - yellows, yellows and yellows.

And there will be A LOT of yellow flags during this weekend, because it's very difficult to return back on track after making mistake and ending up in run off area. They are simply too narrow.

Aiii

So not worth it
The thing is, you can't really blame any driver for touching any side of the wall on that part. There is so little room and the tires have so little traction if their either too cold or more than a couple of laps old that it's nigh impossible to be 100% perfect throughout that part of the track. It seems more up to luck than driver skill, even the absolutely tiniest of mistakes will just completely fuck up your suspension at the very least.

Either way, Bernd is going to have on hell of a Sunday.

tomtom94

McLaren's two-time champion Fernando Alonso, who is the race's official ambassador, played down the issue.

"There are some corners probably we will talk about," he said. "Some others that we need to go on the car first and see how they feel.

"In terms of safety, the FIA ran many simulations in terms of how to make the run-off safe enough. Some of them are safe enough, some of them maybe they look small but it's always better than Monaco, for example. It cannot be any worse than that."

Personally I'm still most worried about someone flying up and hitting the castle...

Zaru

Personally I'm still most worried about someone flying up and hitting the castle...

With how high some feeder series cars have been flying lately, a car might just end up on top of the tower.

Though I'd be more afraid of the long straights, if someone botches an overtake and ends in a similar situation to Alonso in Australia....

Mohonky

I don't understand this Baku track. Formula 1 has outgrown street circuits. Back before the days of aero grip and all you had was mechanical, sure, but with the cars being so dependent on clean air in front of them to generate grip, tracks like this are just redundant. Formula E suffers in a big way for this as overtaking is just too difficult, in a Formula 1 car it's nearly impossible, especially when the track is basically all square corners.

What were they thinking?

Orgun

I don't understand this Baku track. Formula 1 has outgrown street circuits. Back before the days of aero grip and all you had was mechanical, sure, but with the cars being so dependent on clean air in front of them to generate grip, tracks like this are just redundant. Formula E suffers in a big way for this as overtaking is just too difficult, in a Formula 1 car it's nearly impossible, especially when the track is basically all square corners.

What were they thinking?

£££ $$$

Aiii

So not worth it
I think the track looks like a ton of fun, and there's plenty of overtaking opportunities since half of it just looks and feels like any regular old track. The only problem I have is that the long straight really favours Mercedes, so I guess we're in luck that Renault and Ferrari got their engine upgrades done so the difference isn't as big as last year. Poor Toro Rosso though.

Danielsan

The long straights just look so damn boring. Barring any technical failures or Mercedes plunging their cars into a wall it seems like an easy win for the Mercedes team.

Aiii

So not worth it
Dr. Marko predicted RBR would lose 1,2s on the straights to Mercedes based on the sims, so yeah. Though not sure how accurate that number actually is, might just be downplaying.

Aiii

So not worth it
I love how you can clearly see the Tilke-half of the track and the street-half of the track.

Guess which one looks shit?

tomtom94

Magnussen gets a better exit than the Manor but the Manor has more speed in a straight line. If anything summed this track up...

Mastah

With DRS there won't be any fight, I think if one car is even just below 1 second exiting Turn 16, it will pass moving chicane in front well before Turn 1. "The spectacle".

Zaru

Vettel just lost a second on the last sector (the straight) alone, jesus. I hope they find better setups for this track.
No surprise, Mercedes powered cars are doing well so far. How the fuck is Honda up there though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom