• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontieruk

If that was the case why did they have Sainz's tires ready and not Max's?

Team leader in the race calls the pitstop , Max told the team his tires where gone and would come in soon several times, Carlos should then pit after that.
Carlos right in front of Hamilton ignored this and just jumped right in the pit without warning taking max tires .
Max doesn't know this, team doesn't inform him and Max comes in next lap with all tires still inside on warmers .
Max was pissed on Carlos and team and rightly so .

So there will be a penalty then, the drivers have allocated tyres you can't just take someone else's.

Yeah, that can't be right. No way in hell Sainz got Verstappen's tyres.

They were expecting Sainz, Max dun fucked up you could tell by the way they were running out with his tyres, and the way he cried that he should of been in first, it was probably advantageous to the team to so Sainz first, Max screwed the pooch coming in the way he did, lost time as they weren't ready and probably lost points as he lost his calm, everything that happened after that stemmed from his pitstop.

Theorry

Good summary on Reddit. Probably what happened.

Verstappen wanted to make a pitstop because his tires were gone. What Verstappen didn't know, was that he was still about 1 second per lap faster than Grosjean, Massa, Hulkenberg and Bottas, who were driving 15-20 seconds behind him. I think the team wanted Verstappen to stay out for a few more laps to increase the gap, so he could get back on track in front of that group after the pitstop.

They weren't allowed to tell him that due to the radio clampdown, so Verstappen decided to make a pitstop. He didn't tell the team that he was coming in, because he already mentioned several times that he wanted to make a pitstop, thinking the team was expecting him by now. On lap 34, after the pitstop, he said over the radio "How many times I told you I had problems with the tires? I wanted to pit first").

Obviously they weren't expecting him and the tires weren't ready yet. He lost so much time, that he not only got back on track behind Grosjean, Massa, Hulkenberg and Bottas, but also behind Sainz, who was forced to make an early pitstop after locking up his front tires quite a few times.

Juicy Bob

Just watching the highlights on Channel 4. I don't understand why you get to change tyres under a red flag situation. That unfairly benefits those that havent stopped yet, and penalises anyone that stopped just before the red flag and lost the 25 seconds for the pit stop
Because a Red Flag is a major event that occurs because of safety. Usually in the event of a massive crash. If you have a crash and call a Red Flag, after drivers have driven through a major debris field, you can't say to the teams that they're not allowed to change their tyres or fix damage until after the race resumes. That's mental.

Allowing only some drivers to change tyres and others not would be grossly unfair too. Therefore the only fair thing is to let everyone change tyres if they want.

SilentRob

verstappen talking shit about haas finishing 6th

fuck him!

Oh, come on. What he said was if Haas managed to get to 6th position, more would have been possible for Torro Rosso, too. He's completely right and in now way would I call that "shit talking"

kharma45

I'm guessing their "no ad breaks during live races" literally means no ad breaks during live races. Looks like I'll be sticking to Sky this year (ugh).

Really enjoyed today's race. Awesome stuff happening all around. That picture of Alonso crawling out of the McLaren is great, and Grosjean is definitely my driver of the day.

EDIT: I'm growing to like Verstappen now too. Yeah he's a bit of a whiny knob, but he's exactly what the sport needs tbh. Hilarious that he couldn't get past Sainz though, genuinely made me laugh.

Irksome as well. Ads, even during highlights, kills the excitement. I'll record the next C4 highlights coverage and fast forward through them.

It's a good compromise IMO. And if this is the reason we get uninterrupted live races than I'll settle for that. And I can go for a piss during the race, which is a bonus.

AndyD

aka andydumi
That was a great race. Start drama, an impactful but injury-less incident, small rivalries and a last minute race at the end. Infinitely better than the qualifying.

I voted for Palmer. Top bloke and I think he will be one to watch for the future.

I can already tell I'm going to hate him. He'll get the usual bigging up on Sky because he's English, and then add on that all the experts are best buddies with his father. It's going to be intolerable.

BTW, to nobody's surprise Bernie is completely full of shit blaming the qualifying fiasco on everybody else:

"Many F1 insiders were amused to read Ecclestone's comments on Saturday following the unanimously negative reaction, saying he had never wanted the new system.

In fact, it was solely down to the 85-year-old that any change was made.

He was determined to make a change to qualifying in an attempt to make races less predictable and he told the teams that they had two choices: either they could accept some kind of reverse-grid system for the top cars; or the knock-out format that was eventually agreed.

As Wolff put it, without naming Ecclestone: "Two proposals were on the table. One was reverse grid and the other was that one; we voted for the least worst."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/35855862

mclem

3,w=559,c=0.bild.jpg

#sizeminusthree

Draconian

Much more entertaining race than I expected it to be, but what a shocker it is that Ferrari is clueless when it comes to strategy. It wouldn't matter if they had as good of a car as Mercedes, these guys would still mess it up. Glad to see Alonso was ok after that scary looking crash and happy for Haas getting points, though it looks like there's some salt from other teams/drivers about that lol. Also it looks like it'll be a fun season over at Toro Rosso.

f0rk

I can already tell I'm going to hate him. He'll get the usual bigging up on Sky because he's English, and then add on that all the experts are best buddies with his father. It's going to be intolerable.

BTW, to nobody's surprise Bernie is completely full of shit blaming the qualifying fiasco on everybody else:

"Many F1 insiders were amused to read Ecclestone's comments on Saturday following the unanimously negative reaction, saying he had never wanted the new system.

In fact, it was solely down to the 85-year-old that any change was made.

He was determined to make a change to qualifying in an attempt to make races less predictable and he told the teams that they had two choices: either they could accept some kind of reverse-grid system for the top cars; or the knock-out format that was eventually agreed.

As Wolff put it, without naming Ecclestone: "Two proposals were on the table. One was reverse grid and the other was that one; we voted for the least worst."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/35855862

Webber said whoevers idea it was should never make any decisions again lol

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
They always seem to do that.

"No, legit guyz, we had all sorts of problems, it really wasn't ridiculously easy for us, honest. Like, Hamiton's drink system had the wrong sort of Cristal, and Rosberg's foot coolers had been set two degrees two low. We're genuinely surprised we made it to the end."

Yeah, it's all just a play to keep the FIA from doing real rule changes. Lauda went as far as saying it was the best race in an eternity, he didn't know who would win from lap 1 to 57. It's all elaborate BS.

Just watching the highlights on Channel 4. I don't understand why you get to change tyres under a red flag situation. That unfairly benefits those that havent stopped yet, and penalises anyone that stopped just before the red flag and lost the 25 seconds for the pit stop

What if its a red flag because of heavy rain? Also what if some drivers got their tyres punctured due to some debris while coming in? A red flag is because of a safety risk and thus everyone should be allowed to work on their cars.

Aiii

So not worth it
Question that will probably not go down well: but isn't Alonso's crash today awfully similar to Verstappen's Monaco crash? Misjudging the guy ahead, trying a maneuver too late, and launching himself over the back tire?

And if so, shouldn't he be getting points on his license?

LilJoka

Question that will probably not go down well: but isn't Alonso's crash today awfully similar to Verstappen's Monaco crash? Misjudging the guy ahead, trying a maneuver too late, and launching himself over the back tire?

He couldn't predict KERS harvesting. GUT also moved left ever so slightly, but the accident would have still happened.

tomtom94

Something I just spotted in the BBC's summary of the weekend, the only driver other than Hamilton who apparently was a fan of the new qualifying format was Verstappen.

Do with this information as you will

Aiii

So not worth it
Both did well, Lewis had pole and Verstappen a career best position, so I can see why they wouldn't hate it.

He couldn't predict KERS harvesting. GUT also moved left ever so slightly, but the accident would have still happened.

Fair enough. But that doesn't really explain it. Still seems to me to be similar in circumstance.

kharma45

Reminded me of that and 2012 Schumacher too. Bad judgement and I would say yes, points. It was an accident no doubt, but I'd still punish it with that and nothing more.

Theorry

Reminded me of that and 2012 Schumacher too. Bad judgement and I would say yes, points. It was an accident no doubt, but I'd still punish it with that and nothing more.

Also Grosjean could continue after that Verstappen crash. Gutierrez didnt today.

I posted about this some pages ago, but I don't see anyone to concerned about the fact that there was basically zero racing.

None.

Cars behind couldn't get past at all unless there was a difference in tyres.

And even then, getting past someone in front on slower tyres was impossible unless they had virtually no rubber left.

It was like watching a Monaco race.

Surely I'm not the only one who saw this?

Theorry

I posted about this some pages ago, but I don't see anyone to concerned about the fact that there was basically zero racing.

None.

Cars behind couldn't get past at all unless there was a difference in tyres.

And even then, getting past someone in front on slower tyres was impossible unless they had virtually no rubber left.

It was like watching a Monaco race.

Surely I'm not the only one who saw this?

Its most of it Melbourne really. I like the track but it never has been great for overtaking.

xrnzaaas

Good race. I'm glad that Alonso is okay because that crash and what was left of his car looked horrible. Also I imagine it wouldn't be too easy for him to get out with a halo installed... nice anti-advert for that awful idea.

Congrats to Haas for an awesome result in a brand new car. Really really surprising even when you take under account that it's basically a newbie Ferrari.

And, fuck, when will Raikkonen's bad luck come to an end? :(

It's not like the car suddenly and unexpectedly decided on it's own to slow down and start harvesting, the car harvests every time you hit the brake, right?

kharma45

It's not like the car suddenly and unexpectedly decided on it's own to slow down and start harvesting, the car harvests every time you hit the brake, right?

Yes but it will also do it from the turbo whilst driving. It doesn't just happen under breaking. The rear light will flash when it happens.

Yes but it will also do it from the turbo whilst driving. It doesn't just happen under breaking. The rear light will flash when it happens.

But that's not KERS. KERS is the Kinetic Energy Recovery System, which is specifically the brakes. The turbo one is ERS-H or something like that, Energy Recovery System - Heat. At least that's how I've understood it, might well be wrong.

PowerTaxi

Banned
But that's not KERS. KERS is the Kinetic Energy Recovery System, which is specifically the brakes. The turbo one is ERS-H or something like that, Energy Recovery System - Heat. At least that's how I've understood it, might well be wrong.

Thats the MGU-H you're thinking of.

The ERS unit still has an effect on the brakes.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Its most of it Melbourne really. I like the track but it never has been great for overtaking.

This. It is notoriously hard to overtake in Melbourne, the best place is either on start-finish line or at the end of the first DRS zone

Yagami_Sama

I finally manage to watch the race. And it was a good one. Good for Rosberg, if we consider the last season, this is the fourth win in a row , right ? Let’s see how Hamilton will handle things now.

I was not expecting much for McLaren , but disregarding Alonso’s crashes , oh boy that was incredible, the car was reduced to nothing and Alonso , just walked without any injury, I barely saw the other Maclaren, to tell the truth I just saw Buttons, in that awuful livery by the way, when Rosberg was lapping him. Very, very dissapointing. They start this season like they start the last one. Looks like this season I need to set my expectation too . “10th is the best place for a Mclaren”.

I hope the may find a way to improve and try at least to score points more easily.

Any news on what happened to Kimi's car?

and cockpits should be abandoned. We saw two incidents in which it would've made things worse

I don't think I can trust the new FiA with anything anymore, let alone introducing a controversial safety solution

I think they should focus on enhancing what's already there which is a lot, and I'm sure there is a big room for improvement with the current measures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom