• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ark

Guys...The halo design would have made zero difference to Alonso's crash. Safety of the drivers when the car is upside down is pretty handled, the dangers are from when they're right-side up. He probably would have been safer if he stayed in the car until they flipped it over.

Juicy Bob

The absolute best part about that pic is Kimi's square. :) He simply doesn't give a fuck. :D
I do struggle these days to understand why Kimi is still one of the most popular personalities in the sport when he has zero personality.

I get that he's not a corporate robot and people like that, but he never actually contributes anything positive as a character. It's all "look what Kimi doesn't care about now lol".

ramparter

Banned
I do struggle these days to understand why Kimi is still one of the most popular personalities in the sport when he has zero personality.

I get that he's not a corporate robot and people like that, but he never actually contributes anything positive as a character. It's all "look what Kimi doesn't care about now lol".

Some people, me included, respect him just for that, for not giving a shit.

Mastah

I couldn't (using Firefox), just kept getting error messages.

Maybe they fixed it? Whatever, poll is closed now, I wonder what "results will be announced soon" means? Today, during the weekend, the next F1 weekend? And I would love to see Haryanto winning it :D

BTW. Oglądałeś wyścig na Eleven? Podobno w trakcie GP były reklamy?

edit: And guess what, Haryanto is indeed winning it, lol:

https://twitter.com/TimCbe/status/711634891184738305

CeA8KTqW0AEEAxe.jpg:large

Zeknurn

edit: ^Dammit

Turns out Ted was right when he said Haryanto would win because he's the driver from the country with the most inhabitants.

Kvyat having more votes than half of the grid is pretty funny too. I wonder if FOM will scrap the vote.

Yeah, I don't get it either. It was funny at times or in specific situations, but he just doesn't care at all anymore and is just cruising to retirement.

Business

If he was quick he could do whatever but these days Kimi is consistently slower than his team mate and prone to silly mistakes, coupled with his attitute it makes him almost pathetic.

Totally his fault engine blew up.

Maybe, maybe not.

But the lackluster results from the last two seasons definitely are.

He's simply not good anymore and with a driver like him, Ferrari has no chance on beating Mercedes at the constructors, even if they actually manage to build two reliable cars.

GKB

edit: And guess what, Haryanto is indeed winning it, lol:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CeA8KTqW0AEEAxe.jpg

Turns out Ted was right when said Haryanto would win because he's the driver from the country with the most inhabitants.

Yeah, most news stations in Indonesia are now all about Rio. What really annoys me is that they're reducing F1 to just him :/

Some of these people are now angry at Manor because of the last race result, to the point of accusing Manor favoring Pascal over Rio, gah.

Totally his fault engine blew up.

It actually can be. There are a number of ways in which driver style can put additional pressure on his car, especially with regard to revs under braking.

Not saying this is what happened, but there are some drivers who are notoriously hard on their cars.

Some of these people are now angry at Manor because of the last race result, to the point of accusing Manor favoring Pascal over Rio, gah.

Ha, I saw that. The only reason Pascal was faster was that they gave Rio an inferior car. :D

It actually can be. There are a number of ways in which driver style can put additional pressure on his car, especially with regard to revs under braking.

Not saying this is what happened, but there are some drivers who are notoriously hard on their cars.

Not to mention that there's no more engine mode coaching from the pits with the new rules, IIRC.

tomtom94

Kimi hasn't quite been the same since he won the title, really. I'm glad he got the title win (it's not the one he truly deserved, and he essentially inherited it once Hamilton and Alonso self-combusted, but a win's a win) but he was fairly poor in 2008, disaffected in 2009, and even when he came back with Lotus he was struggling in qualifying (which is why he dropped out of the title race in 2012).

I would be happy he's seeing out his last couple of years at Ferrari, except he's now stopping a more talented driver from taking his place. Same with Button.

Mastah

So now we have 3 groups of annoying and rabid fans:

-Kimi widows - sabotaged by every single team in his career basically, at McLaren with reliability, at Ferrari against Massa, at Lotus against Grosjean, at Ferrari against Alonso and Vettel because Santander, duh, never at fault, the fastest driver ever

-Wonderboy crew - already the most talented and the best driver in F1 history, Grosjean brake tested him for sure, Sainz should get out of His Higness way every single time, Wonderboy can't be slower than his team mate, that's not possible, he has to have some kind of car problem

-HaHaHaryanto supporters - new challengers, they don't understand anything about this Formula First except their Boy Proudly Representing Indonesia can't be slower than Wehrlein, so that's a sabotage, after all it's not like Haryanto was on average 7-8 tenths slower than the fastest drivers in less sophisticated GP2 machinery

Aiii

So not worth it
I get bothered more by people that seem to passionately hate one driver or another than by fans.

Fans I can understand, championing a driver or a team makes sports more fun to watch. Haters are just negative for no good reason, especially if they have to spew hate continuously, that's the worst kind.

I get bothered more by people that seem to passionately hate one driver or another than by fans.

Fans I can understand, championing a driver or a team makes sports more fun to watch. Haters are just negative for no good reason, especially if they have to spew hate continuously, that's the worst kind.

People can be annoyed by drivers without being a fan of someone particular. I'm a Ferrari fan and in no way do I support Kimi anymore, because I just can not stand his attitude and indifference towards everything. Does that make me a hater for no reason?

Aiii

So not worth it
People can be annoyed by drivers without being a fan of someone particular. I'm a Ferrari fan and in no way I support Kimi anymore. Does that make me a hater for no reason?

No.

If you were to constantly run him down or tell us how much Kimi sucks and how much better Vettel is, yes.

Juicy Bob

The thing with Kimi is that I grew up watching F1 and I wasn't even a teenager when he made his debut. I was in awe of what he did at McLaren, taking the fight to Schumi and then Alonso. He was supremely skilled and a great underdog to cheer for against the all-conquering Ferrari machine.

But since the start of 2014, that Kimi seems to have just disappeared. Except for flashes, like Bahrain last year, he doesn't seem to have that same edge to his driving anymore. It's frustrating to know how ridiculously talented a guy is and yet not feel that you ever see it out on track.

Icefire1424

Wow, 26 pages already. I'm impressed.

That race broke my heart. I was out of my seat screaming at the Ferrari start, my little girl thought I was possessed. And yea, Mercs went 1-2 again, but without that red flag or the poor tire strategy, I Think that race would have been much different. The pack does seem a lot closer this year - race just came down to a poor call and some bad luck.

Absolutely psyched for Hass and Grosjean though. Huge start for them.

kvk1

Well chuffed with that 6 finish on the Haas car.

I really hope America can get and keep a solid foot in the door of the sport.

I would very much think that Kimi is there for a reason, he is generally solid on the track and an experienced hand but it for all we know he could be incredible at giving feedback to the team for development.

Something i would think the younger drivers maybe don't excel at.

Also being a big name looks good for sponsors.

lol..

Kimi hd a good start, fucked up strategy, and retired quite early in the race..

Yet, he still gets the most discussions.. And people wonder why he's awesome? he has super powers!! Even I wonder why are we even talking about him!

Kworn

Banned
I would very much think that Kimi is there for a reason, he is generally solid on the track and an experienced hand but it for all we know he could be incredible at giving feedback to the team for development.

Something i would think the younger drivers maybe don't excel at.

Also being a big name looks good for sponsors.

Plus he was their last champion

Anyone doing race trips this year? I'm thinking of Italy and Malaysia.

Just working out accommodation in Milan as I'm guessing I should probably book early. I really have ABSOLUTELY no idea where would be good to stay in Malaysia though... I know absolutely nothing about the country.

Lach

Just working out accommodation in Milan as I'm guessing I should probably book early. I really have ABSOLUTELY no idea where would be good to stay in Malaysia though... I know absolutely nothing about the country.

I really wanted to go to Monza for the last few years but I have noone to go with. I have accomodations available 2 hour drive from the track (south switzerland), so I'd probably drive each day. Now with Monza being possibly the last time in a while I really really need to find someone :)

First time I did Monza I just stayed in a cheap hotel in Milan. Was a short bus ride to the track, and a short walk from the bus stop. Certainly doesn't need to be expensive. :)

Oh, and I can highly recommend 6c or 8a for seats.

I've largely fallen off of watching races on TV, for a variety of reasons, but I'm moving to France in August and I'm really considering going to see a race in Europe while I'm there. I've always wanted to go to Spa.

Zaru

Fun fact someone pointed out: The last time someone managed to score points without an actual pitstop (as Grosjean did) was in Brazil 2003... due to a red flag caused by Alonso driving into someone's tyre and crashing hard.

Jezbollah

I've been to Sepang. You could probably get a hotel near to the airport. The track is only a few miles away from there. Taxi to and from, and you're golden.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Good for Haas. Hope any new teams copy their model. Keep the poorly funded pay driver teams that are slow as shit out.

Indeed. It's a mile away from Manor who have been dragging their feet for years it seems. That said, let's see if Haas has staying power before we cheer too much.

I've largely fallen off of watching races on TV, for a variety of reasons, but I'm moving to France in August and I'm really considering going to see a race in Europe while I'm there. I've always wanted to go to Spa.

Spa is great. Not much near it that's particularly interesting though, so I'd make sure you take a car!

I've been to Sepang. You could probably get a hotel near to the airport. The track is only a few miles away from there. Taxi to and from, and you're golden.

Usually do airbnb as we like to have an entire house / apartment between three or four of us. Generally we get in on the Thursday and leave on the Tuesday so we can see a bunch of the place too. Not sure how the transport would be from there though.

Edit - Urgghhh... just read this, which sounds shit:

The journey back to KL can be frustrating on Saturday and Sunday. It takes about three hours worth of queuing and traffic jams to go back to the city centre once the race finishes with the KLIA Ekspres and associated shuttle buses (and up to seven hours with the Skybus service). If waiting this long doesn't sound like you, there are a couple of hotels at the KLIA terminal and a Tune Hotel at the KLIA2 terminal if don't mind missing out on the F1 weekend city vibe. Using a taxi, it is possible to stay near Bangi and Putrajaya, where most Formula 1 team personnel and the media tend to reside for the week.

Zeknurn

Monza is going to be incredible this year when German Jesus is leading the championship.

As for my own plans? It's up in the air but I might go to Hockenheim again, it all depends on how competitive the season is and if it's as bad as last year I think I'd rather hit up the Berlin ePrix since there's so much to do in Berlin.

Mastah

CeFhNP0UUAArdt-.jpg:large

* Note - in the interests of fairness, multiple votes identified as originating from the same source were not counted.

Heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom