• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontieruk

I always keep hearing that the Mercedes is still an aerodynamically sound chassis too.

You only have to look at the other Mercedes powered cars to realise it's not just the engine keeping them at the front, it probably gives them the edge but the chassis has to be as good as the RB. The Ferrari chassis was sound at the start of the season, I do wonder if the extra power the engine developments Ferrari have made in season have thrown their car off.

You only have to look at the other Mercedes powered cars to realise it's not just the engine keeping them at the front, it probably gives them the edge but the chassis has to be as good as the RB. The Ferrari chassis was sound at the start of the season, I do wonder if the extra power the engine developments Ferrari have made in season have thrown their car off.
I wouldn't try to make excuses for ferrari, their in season development has been off for years. At the very least it seems like Mercedes and Red Bull know what to prioritize and usually how to address their issues, I can't say the same for Ferrari.

frontieruk

I wouldn't try to make excuses for ferrari, their in season development has been off for years. At the very least it seems like Mercedes and Red Bull know what to prioritize and usually how to address their issues, I can't say the same for Ferrari.

I'm not making excuses, Ferrari can rot at the back of the pack for all I care, it just appears that with every engine gain they've made overall performance dropped which would be an aero/chassis failing with the extra horses.

I'm not making excuses, Ferrari can rot at the back of the pack for all I care, it just appears that with every engine gain they've made overall performance dropped which would be an aero/chassis failing with the extra horses.
Why is their aero department so shit? Their former guy works for Mercedes and has designed curb stomp cars for going on three years now. Even the 2013 Mercedes was pretty good if he was the one responsible for that.

Fox Mulder

Why is their aero department so shit? Their former guy works for Mercedes and has designed curb stomp cars for going on three years now. Even the 2013 Mercedes was pretty good if he was the one responsible for that.

Ferrari just seems like a shit culture to work in. Money isn't everything.

Icefire1424

I hate to admit it, but the last few races have been rather dull for me. First couple laps are interesting as the positions are getting sorted out, but after that...not a whole lot going on.

Cool to see how much ground the RB's have been making up on the Mercs though. Still waiting for Riccardo to get his win though. Ferrari is just letting me down this season.

Fennec

f1-2017.jpg

Wow sexy!

Zaru

I hate to admit it, but the last few races have been rather dull for me. First couple laps are interesting as the positions are getting sorted out, but after that...not a whole lot going on.

There were actually quite a few races earlier this season that I found more exciting to watch than anything this year has any right to be (considering the continued strength of the Mercs), but since Baku it went back to 2015 levels.

Watched the first few laps, fast forwarded the rest of the race. Watched the last 5 laps. I don't think I missed anything. I had to look up the ROS incident though. I knew ROS was going to blow his season as soon as HAM stopped having bad luck but I didn't expect his meltdown to be so quick. I wish I could fast forward through the rest of the season. Just give HAM the trophy and rotate out one driver from every team into his seat at Merc for a race and let the lol's roll in as half the field beats ROS their first time in the car.

I look forward to how many new convoluted penalties and regulations they add to the sport during the break. I hope one of them involves literal dice rolls.

frontieruk

My guess? The extra horses found with their engine upgrades caused the air flow to get redirected due to increased pressure on the aero components, they need a refresh on their aero package.

And I didn't blame the aero, I blamed the engine. The Ferrari was very competitive at the start of the season but they've concentrated on their power plant and aero hasn't evolved with the new forces being generated.

Icefire1424

There were actually quite a few races earlier this season that I found more exciting to watch than anything this year has any right to be (considering the continued strength of the Mercs), but since Baku it went back to 2015 levels.

Agreed. And Monaco was a buzzkill. With Riccardo's pace in practice and qualifying, I thought he had that won. That pit stop FUBAR about killed me.

My guess? The extra horses found with their engine upgrades caused the air flow to get redirected due to increased pressure on the aero components, they need a refresh on their aero package.

And I didn't blame the aero, I blamed the engine. The Ferrari was very competitive at the start of the season but they've concentrated on their power plant and aero hasn't evolved with the new forces being generated.
Ok now I get you. I guess I just blamed the aero cause I assumed the departments were supposed to work hand in hand to be able to find developments to fix these problems.

Limited testing in the tunnel, and my understanding is the teams fight for priority rather than work together
But everybody has limited testing time. I know Ferrari and McLaren were hit during the testing ban and reg changes of 09 hard, but how long can that be an excuse for? 2010 both teams had good cars and have been competitive since with McLaren seeming edging them out for the most part...until they got McHonda'd, but why can't they figure stuff out while others have been doing a much better job...which in all honesty just seems to be the story of F1.

frontieruk

But everybody has limited testing time. I know Ferrari and McLaren were hit during the testing ban and reg changes of 09 hard, but how long can that be an excuse for? 2010 both teams had good cars and have been competitive since with McLaren seeming edging them out for the most part...until they got McHonda'd, but why can't they figure stuff out while others have been doing a much better job...which in all honesty just seems to be the story of F1.

Because the teams fight for priority in house, we should develop the engine the Mercs generate 40hp more than us, no we need to do the aero the RB carries more speed through the corners saving them .003 per corner than us...

Etc etc so they throw the kitchen sink at one solution while ignoring the other and breaking both in the process, I think a similar thing has happened at Williams but more due to limited resources rather than the engineering teams trying to prove a point.

Because the teams fight for priority in house, we should develop the engine the Mercs generate 40hp more than us, no we need to do the aero the RB carries more speed through the corners saving them .003 per corner than us...

Etc etc so they throw the kitchen sink at one solution while ignoring the other and breaking both in the process, I think a similar thing has happened at Williams but more due to limited resources rather than the engineering teams trying to prove a point.
Though Aero hasn't been Williams strong suit in quite some time though, but I see your point. It's just two teams asking for everything while at the same time one getting a bit of the short end of the stick. I'd hate to be on the aero team asking for funds. If I'm not mistaken even Enzo tried to trash talk aero back in the days...which is why I laughed my ass off in 2014 when their engine was shit.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mercedes has as good chasis as RBR. And there is one thing that keeps Mercedes above competition - insane development pace. Every part that they bolt on the car, works as it should.

Mercedes has as good chasis as RBR. And there is one thing that keeps Mercedes above competition - insane development pace. Every part that they bolt on the car, works as it should.
And that's the secret sauce I'd like to know about. Very rarely do they bolt something on that car that doesn't work. You don't hear about them using a wind tunnel that Toyota uses or that they have to recalibrate it or that they're ditching this years car two months in advance to concentrate on next years car (even if they did it's because the god damn championship is sewn up any way), only for next years car to be competitive for the first 5 races and then it's mid tier in the middle of the season. The shit just stays working unless you have some odd anomaly like Singapore from last year.

Lego Boss

Question: would Blessed be able to challenge the Mercs (I.e. win) in a RB? I know the Mercs are good, but Blessed is quite simply quicker than LOLBERG, the question is by how much?

How much is he retarding his pace for engine management?

dalin80

Banned

A lot. Around a second a lap during races and races are often closer then they seem as he is very happy to use the dirty air off his car as a tool. Rosberg wants to get close and racey? Fine have fun scrubbing out your tyres and brakes, oh you want to slow down to make a gap? Fine I'll just slow down and save my engine a bit more.

Whenever Merc get on the radio asking him to up his pace to 'cover the red bulls' it means, 'we can see you are deliberately going slowly, stop it.'

At least when he is in a good mood anyway, his performances are directly linked to his emotions, Hamilton happy? Just give him the 25 points and move to the next venue, Hamilton sad? Chaos will ensue.

Fox Mulder

That the sad part. Regs force the mercs to sandbag and teams still cant catch up.

I'd rather see free balls out domination where they lap the field than this boring shit.

A lot. Around a second a lap during races and races are often closer then they seem as he is very happy to use the dirty air off his car as a tool. Rosberg wants to get close and racey? Fine have fun scrubbing out your tyres and brakes, oh you want to slow down to make a gap? Fine I'll just slow down and save my engine a bit more.

Whenever Merc get on the radio asking him to up his pace to 'cover the red bulls' it means, 'we can see you are deliberately going slowly, stop it.'

At least when he is in a good mood anyway, his performances are directly linked to his emotions, Hamilton happy? Just give him the 25 points and move to the next venue, Hamilton sad? Chaos will ensue.
I actually think he's learned to deal with the sadness thing a lot better though unless some random shit like Hungary 2015 happens. I know he dedicated one of his 2012 races to his dead grandmother or something and I do believe Hungary 2013 was dedicated to Nicole to try to win her ass back or something. Regarding Hamilton challenging Merc in a RB? Probably on certain tracks I would think so. You can only out perform a car only so much, but there's probably 2-3 tenths in it that he could find. Him and Danny Ric or him with Max Lolstappen would be a pretty fun team (not bashing but the kid does some odd shit at times).

DBT85

Question: would Blessed be able to challenge the Mercs (I.e. win) in a RB? I know the Mercs are good, but Blessed is quite simply quicker than LOLBERG, the question is by how much?

I don't know if he'd be able to win in the RBR right now. Danny is no slouch and they were just fast enough to stop Nico getting past. Had he got past he would likely have pulled away. The only time we see the real pace of the Mercs is when they need it. Which is very very rarely.

There is no doubt that Nico is fast. He pushes Lewis on one lap pace regularly. He's just got nothing on Lewis when it comes to race craft.

As I've said before. Blessed, Jesus, Nando and Smiler all have a ruthlessness, a cutting edge to make the moves. Britney doesn't, he just looks like someone trying to be ruthless and trying to have a cutting edge.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Hamilton in a Red Bull would be as competitive as the current Red Bull drivers.

But I do feel that maybe Nico is the one pampered?

I don't know if he'd be able to win in the RBR right now. Danny is no slouch and they were just fast enough to stop Nico getting past. Had he got past he would likely have pulled away. The only time we see the real pace of the Mercs is when they need it. Which is very very rarely.

There is no doubt that Nico is fast. He pushes Lewis on one lap pace regularly. He's just got nothing on Lewis when it comes to race craft.

As I've said before. Blessed, Jesus, Nando and Smiler all have a ruthlessness, a cutting edge to make the moves. Britney doesn't, he just looks like someone trying to be ruthless and trying to have a cutting edge.
Lewis won almost three races in the 09 McLaren so I wouldn't exactly deem it impossible.

spuckthew

Hamilton had no right putting that McLaren anywhere near a win in '09, but he did several times. Most points scored of anyone from Hungary too, despite 3 DNFs during that same period.

Hamilton had no right putting that McLaren anywhere near a win in '09, but he did several times. Most points scored of anyone from Hungary too, despite 3 DNFs during that same period.
Didn't he single handedly (exaggeration) get McLaren third in the championship too, not to mention the miracle work he did is Australia that got undone cause of some dodgy communications bullshit.

spuckthew

Well, looking at the results, Kovalainen scored as many points in a whole season as Massa did in half a season, so as "single handedly" as you can get I suppose. It certainly helped that Fisichella couldn't drive that Ferrari to save his life though (he scored no points for Ferrari lol).

Well, looking at the results, Kovalainen scored as many points in a whole season as Massa did in half a season, so as "single handedly" as you can get I suppose. It certainly helped that Fisichella couldn't drive that Ferrari to save his life though (he scored no points for Ferrari lol).
Well I didn't mean literally, but I think if you stuck anybody else in that thing the car would've looked like a hunk of dog shit for the entire season.

Trying to remember the last time the winner of the 1st four races to start the season fell behind in points.

I don't think this ever happened. I know Jenson Button came close to losing the title in 2009 when RBR started to come on later. But they never caught him.

Rosberg is about to make history (not the kind he wants) when Hamilton demolishes him in the last few races to win the title.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Trying to remember the last time the winner of the 1st four races to start the season fell behind in points.

I don't think this ever happened. I know Jenson Button came close to losing the title in 2009 when RBR started to come on later. But they never caught him.

Rosberg is about to make history (not the kind he wants) when Hamilton demolishes him in the last few races to win the title.

Rosberg will win the last few races
after the title has been settled in Hamilton's favour.

Keke to Rosberg: "Son what the fuck happened?!" I guess history doesn't want father and son to both luck into championships. Though from what I've heard Keke won during a really odd season.

Zaru

You're correct. Nobody has won the first four races of a season and then gone on to lose the champion. Yet.

People who won six or more races in a row have never not been champion.
People who won the first three or more races of a season have never not been champion.
Hungary winners have also not managed to win the championship since 2004.
Also nobody with more than 16 wins is not a champion.

Rosberg is regressing so hard, he'll single-handedly tear down several historical rules that f1 statisticians love so much.

People who won six or more races in a row have never not been champion.
People who won the first three or more races of a season have never not been champion.
Hungary winners have also not managed to win the championship since 2004.
Also nobody with more than 16 wins is not a champion.

Rosberg is regressing so hard, he'll single-handedly tear down several historical rules that f1 statisticians love so much.

Not so much tearing them down as supplementing them with 'except for Nico Rosberg, of course'. It'll never get old!

Icefire1424

In "sortof F1 related, but admittedly more gaming" news, anyone around here picking up F1 2016? I'm temped. Project CARS did a decent job of scratching that racing game itch for awhile, but the FA class was definitely lacking. 2016 sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

DieH@rd

Banned
In "sortof F1 related, but admittedly more gaming" news, anyone around here picking up F1 2016? I'm temped. Project CARS did a decent job of scratching that racing game itch for awhile, but the FA class was definitely lacking. 2016 sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

Let's wait for impressions/reviews. Codemasters is a hit and miss, who knows what we will get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom