• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastah

And there it is:

Manor Racing ‏@ManorRacing 1m1 minute ago

We’re pleased to welcome @OconEsteban to the team. He’ll be racing alongside @PWehrlein for the rest of the season.

CpfDeS2W8AAMS_X.jpg:large

stryke

Haven't heard of this guy (then again I don't pay much attention to other motor racing). Hopefully better than Haryanto at least.

tomtom94

I never really expected Haryanto to set the world on fire (it took him four seasons to do anything impressive in GP2) and so it proved. Good on Ocon.

Aiii

So not worth it
Haven't heard of this guy (then again I don't pay much attention to other motor racing). Hopefully better than Haryanto at least.

Oh he's pretty good, he beat Verstappen and Blomqvist in the 2014 F3 championship and had the second most wins that season (9 versus VES's 10) and that was a very competitive field that year.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
So the transformation of Manor into a Mercedes junior team is complete, then.

Manor really is turning into Mercedes B team. I think that we could see more of this 'cooperation' in next season. No wonder, they are like 10 miles apart :p

sandy1297

“We are very pleased to continue our support for Rio’s Formula 1 ambitions, by offering him a Reserve Driver role for the rest of the current season. We very much hope that he will accept that offer.”

We will shortly be announcing a new teammate for Pascal Wehrlein.
#Pray4Indonesia

good riddance, waste of taxpayer money

So unless I''m interpreting it wrong the main thing I'm getting is they have similar chassis, Mercedes just still have a slightly stronger engine. Right?

They definitely seem to have a higher top speed, but the initial acceleration looks almost identical. Might be gearing, aero or just plain grunt. HAM seems to carry more speed into corners than VES but the speed turns out the same.

RIC v ROS shows the RB having a pretty significant speed advantage in slow speed corners and the Merc advantage at the top end is lesser. RB catching up fast.

They definitely seem to have a higher top speed, but the initial acceleration looks almost identical. Might be gearing, aero or just plain grunt. HAM seems to carry more speed into corners than VES but the speed turns out the same.

RIC v ROS shows the RB having a pretty significant speed advantage in slow speed corners and the Merc advantage at the top end is lesser. RB catching up fast.

Not really. RIC vs ROS hardly representative as (i) ROS was by far the slowest Mercedes, especially through S1, (ii) ROS was passing slow traffic in S3, the slowest part of the track.

DavidDesu

F1 2016 game thread coming tomorrow, folks. Still taking title suggestions!

Ooh. I've preordered this going off the strength of videos I've seen of people with early acces to a preview version of the game on YouTube. Looks really good. They've finally put it all together. I missed last year cos it felt so barebones, but now I can finally get a 60fps F1 game on my PS4. Career looks great with so many features like the SC, Virtual SC, manual launch and so on. Time of day change is great and graphically, honestly at times it looks photorealistic, more or less.

I'm really hyped for this, hearing good things all over the shop and I remember back to F1 2010 with terrible graphics at 30fps on the PS3 but the racing was actually phenomenal. The best, most realistic yet approachable racer I'd played at that point. You could really feel the effects of tire wear and the weight decreasing with fuel use, I had some great races, only marred by some terrible A.I. that always breaked way too early in some corners but could go round other corners faster than it was physically possible to do playing it yourself lol.

Honestly this finally looks like a fully featured game with this license. Looks crisp and smooth on PS4 from what I've seen so far. Also love the practice development portions, looks like it will make practice actually useful and fun beyond just learning the track.

DD

Monster hype here too. Funny, but I don't give a f* anymore to Forza, and GT Sport looks uninteresting to me will all that online BS. F1 2016 and Motorsport Manager are the two racing related games I'm interested the most.

DieH@rd

Banned
Lap 20 in Melbourne. That will be the point when's the F1 community realises what a stupid mistake they've made with these regulations. Again.

Well, it is better than continuing like this. At least now there is chance that some other team will rise on top.

Aiii

So not worth it
Lower top speed... sigh

You can barely tell and they will lap about 5 seconds faster.

But yeah, lets pretend like it matters if they're going 310 or 330 kph and that a lower top speed, but higher cornering speeds puts more emphasis on the chassis instead of raw engine power (i.e. engine dominance) does not.

More downforce creates more drag. Larger tyres cause more rolling friction and drag.

Lower top speeds are an inevitability. Driving fast in a straight line isn't particularly exciting.

However, higher speeds through corners is pretty awesome.

Zeknurn

Lap 20 in Melbourne. That will be the point when's the F1 community realises what a stupid mistake they've made with these regulations. Again.

Yup. The already massive gaps between the teams will increase further due to decreased stability in regulations, Mercedes or Red Bull will continue to dominate and dirty air will continue to make overtaking and close racing difficult.

But hey at least the cars will look like when F1 used to be #great and lap times will come down because people cares about that.

Aiii

So not worth it
You're never going to get 6 teams all fighting for wins, it's always going to be two or if we get really lucky, three teams at most.

But putting emphasis on corner speeds will allow for cars to close up on other cars without having to drive in dirty air as they are easier to position for overtakes. Right now, the problem is that cars can't get close enough to get that overtake, because too much emphasis is on the straight line speed.

Essentially what they're doing is making cars look better, making them faster, all the while putting more emphasis on the actual cars rather than the engines. These are all positives.

Because it won't just close up the top of the field, it will also help the non-Mercedes teams across the field compete with the Mercedes teams. These are positives, no matter how you look at it.

dalin80

Banned
More downforce creates more drag. Larger tyres cause more rolling friction and drag.

Lower top speeds are an inevitability. Driving fast in a straight line isn't particularly exciting.

However, higher speeds through corners is pretty awesome.

The more downforce also increases turbulent air so it's going to be a season of cars going in another procession but marginally quicker.

The more downforce also increases turbulent air so it's going to be a season of cars going in another procession but marginally quicker.
Or a load more crashes because people have less time to react in the corners and/or think hey I can go faster through this corner, I'll definitely make that gap.

DavidDesu

I thought the new regs were going to bring in a level of ground effect to the cars, saw it in a Sky Sports feature someone uploaded to YouTube (I'm pretty sure). Doesn't ground effect reduce drag and therefore reduce dirty air?

I like the look of the cars, aggressive tires and wider cars is pretty cool. We need a change up of the visual look of F1 and this seems like a change in the right direction. The higher cornering speeds sound insane and that is what F1 should be all about and I reckon that is going to improve the racing more than anything.

DBT85

More downforce doesn't directly mean more turbulent air.

In addition, part of these regs is that the cars will have more mechanical grip thanks to bigger tyres, so they could well follow closer in those corners which is where you need to follow close in order to make a move on the straight.

The cars will also have larger diffusers meaning more ground effect aero which has a smaller effect on turbulence.

Higher cornering speeds is going to make it harder to get sequential corners right and will hopefully punish mistakes and people who can't get their line right. You don;t need any skill to drive at 200 or 230mph on a straight, but 150mph through some sweeping bends will highlight the better drivers.

Mastah

Well, at least they should look great:

Martin Brundle ‏@MBrundleF1 13m13 minutes ago

All sorts of sensible people in the know saying 2017 F1 cars look great 😬 They'll look even better if they are side by side and nose to tail

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
More downforce doesn't directly mean more turbulent air.

In addition, part of these regs is that the cars will have more mechanical grip thanks to bigger tyres, so they could well follow closer in those corners which is where you need to follow close in order to make a move on the straight.

The cars will also have larger diffusers meaning more ground effect aero which has a smaller effect on turbulence.

Higher cornering speeds is going to make it harder to get sequential corners right and will hopefully punish mistakes and people who can't get their line right. You don;t need any skill to drive at 200 or 230mph on a straight, but 150mph through some sweeping bends will highlight the better drivers.

No, but a bigger sillhouette does.

Juicy Bob

This feels like the only place on GAF - the bottom post of the F1 thread - where I can say this safely.

All the mayhem that seems to happen these days every time there's a big PC game launch with bugs and crashes and general technical fuckery makes me wonder why so many people would ever want to spend all the time, money and effort just to play current games with better graphics and mods. Just so not worth it.

That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom