• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

This feels like the only place on GAF - the bottom post of the F1 thread - where I can say this safely.

All the mayhem that seems to happen these days every time there's a big PC game launch with bugs and crashes and general technical fuckery makes me wonder why so many people would ever want to spend all the time, money and effort just to play current games with better graphics and mods. Just so not worth it.

That is all.

You are not safe :p

Depends on the game. If its something like Kerbal Spce Program the console version is pointless compared to the main one simply because the game is gash without mods for me. On the flip side, there are loads of people that don;t have PCs that might want to play so I can understand the port.

But then I'm a PC guy with a PS4 rather thana Console guy with a PC.

Burai

shitonmychest57
You're never going to get 6 teams all fighting for wins, it's always going to be two or if we get really lucky, three teams at most.

But putting emphasis on corner speeds will allow for cars to close up on other cars without having to drive in dirty air as they are easier to position for overtakes. Right now, the problem is that cars can't get close enough to get that overtake, because too much emphasis is on the straight line speed.

Essentially what they're doing is making cars look better, making them faster, all the while putting more emphasis on the actual cars rather than the engines. These are all positives.

Because it won't just close up the top of the field, it will also help the non-Mercedes teams across the field compete with the Mercedes teams. These are positives, no matter how you look at it.

That's not going to happen though. The bigger wings and wider cars mean more wake which means the front wing stalling of the chasing cars will be even more pronounced through corners than it is now.

Oh, and because of increased downforce the braking distances will be shorter than they are now making passing outside of the DRS zones harder than ever. And to top that off, the cars are wider so it'll be harder for them to run side by side.

But hey, they'll look really nice. Unless there's a flaw in the regs that promotes an ugly design like the step and penis noses. But that could never happen, right?

hamchan

This feels like the only place on GAF - the bottom post of the F1 thread - where I can say this safely.

All the mayhem that seems to happen these days every time there's a big PC game launch with bugs and crashes and general technical fuckery makes me wonder why so many people would ever want to spend all the time, money and effort just to play current games with better graphics and mods. Just so not worth it.

That is all.

Because it's worth it for the 99% of other games that can put out decent PC ports.

It's hard to go back when you get used to playing games at 100+ fps on Ultra settings compared to sub 30, low settings on PS4.

Also I got back my money for No Man's Sky by getting a refund on Steam. Can't do that on PSN yet.

frontieruk

Because it's worth it for the 99% of other games that can put out decent PC ports.

It's hard to go back when you get used to playing games at 100+ fps on Ultra settings compared to sub 30, low settings on PS4.

Also I got back my money for No Man's Sky by getting a refund on Steam. Can't do that on PSN yet.

What's wrong with NMS? Or did you just have some buyers remorse?

Is there going to be a gaf f1 season?

DavidDesu

So my copy of F1 2016 has been despatched and I should have it tomorrow. HYPE.

It's weird my hype for this game has come out of nowhere and it's been largely down to watching a few Youtubers with preview builds of the game. Last year was a barebones release so I avoided and I'd not played any of them since F1 2010 on the PS3. This kind of looks like the complete package for me. 60fps on console, I think it looks really good personally, career, be your own driver, actually makes practice sessions worthwhile with things to achieve rather than aimlessly just practice the track. The track acclimitisation feature actually looks perfect for learning the tracks (I'm hopeless with the new ones with 50 right angle corners in the middle of a characterless track!), I hate driving lines but these gates placed at apexes at corner entry, mid point and exit, seems like a great way to get the flow of a track.

So.. yeah I know this is for the real F1 season, but posting here cos I'm wondering where the game OT is. Eagerly awaiting it :)

Ryne

The F1 2016 game is the best the series has ever looked IMO. I hope that the game was worth dealing with the barebones 2015.

Isn't this the last year of their contract?

No, you're not supposed to offer reasonable ripostes to my hot take. You're supposed to agree with me so I feel validated :p

Well even as someone that plays on PC more than on consoles I can see where you are coming from. I always cringe a little bit when some users of PC GAF here try to prove that PC gaming is just as easy as console gaming nowadays. It's far easier than before that is true but it absolutely isn't on the same level as console gaming and never will be because of the nature of the platform. With every game you have performance thread where it crashes on some people or they have some other problems with drivers etc. I can definitely see that people that don't have too much free time (family, a lot of work etc) would prefer to play on consoles and avoid all extra bs PC gaming still has and will always have.

Have Codies fixed the AI?

Hasegawa on awaking The Beast:
We have several "weapons" at hand that have been confirmed on dyno that would definitely make it better if introduced. However of course it's impossible to introduce all of them, so we have to decide final spec by assessing/evaluating which ones of these weapons would be most effective, which will make it in time, etc. Right now we are in the middle of verifying its reliability.

With the new spec whose combustion efficiency is improved, we can expect not only increased power but also better fuel consumption

Still, for instance if engine is improved and get power increase, then you can put more downforce for that amount, which then improves tyre life, which then makes strategy easier, so we should be able to go into positive spiral. Besides we were saving fuel quite a bit this time around too, but if power increases fuel consumption issue will be better as well. There is synergistic improvement cycle about it. So I don't consider that the actual gap is as big as it appears from outside. If one thing goes to positive direction, then the gap should be smaller and smaller, I reckon.

https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/motorsports/motorsports/2016/08/03/_split_f1/

That tight wad Ronbo better pony up to put The Stoff somewhere next season. The Jense deserves one last rocketship before he bows out a 2x champion and a 3x Alonso destroyer.

Icefire1424

To those of you that picked up / are picking up F1 2016, please, please, PLEASE share your thoughts after you've played. I'm on the fence, and admittedly pretty hooked on Warhammer at the moment.

xrnzaaas

The F1 2016 game is the best the series has ever looked IMO. I hope that the game was worth dealing with the barebones 2015.

Isn't this the last year of their contract?

Yes. Last year Codemasters said that they will be interested in renewing the contract:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-04-16-codemasters-to-renew-f1-racing-license

but afaik no news so far if that has happened.

I also found info on sales numbers on undergroundgamingentertainment.com (article from the end of May), don't know how accurate it is:

The best-selling title has been F1 2011 (2.45 million copies), followed by F1 2010 (2.3m), with F1 2012 (1.71m) in third. The games which have sold the least copies? F1 2015 (0.89m) and F1 2014 (0.83m) are at the bottom of the standings.

I'll be buying the 2016 version for sure, maybe not right away because my backlog is too big, but eventually. :)

DD

Yes. Last year Codemasters said that they will be interested in renewing the contract:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-04-16-codemasters-to-renew-f1-racing-license

I also found info on sales numbers on undergroundgamingentertainment.com (article from the end of May), don't know how accurate it is:

I'll be buying the 2016 version for sure, maybe not right away because my backlog is too big, but eventually. :)
What about F1 2013? It's still the best that came out, and probably because of that, it never get discounted. :p

I'll be picking F1 2016, unless something happens.

Zaru

You can tell how 2010 was well-received and built goodwill for 2011, which people bought expecting "even more"... and then it kinda went downhill from there, which 2014 being a last-gen afterthought and 2015 being too barebones.

2016 could really turn it around though. I've checked a lot of gameplay videos and if there aren't any gamebreaking bugs ruining the experience, it's turning out to be the first F1 game I feel hype for since fucking Grand Prix 4.

DavidDesu

Any date for reviews hitting? Seems like we should have them by now given there's copies being distributed to people like me as we speak. I have high hopes for it. Seems like they've got a lot of good stuff going on in this iteration.

Ryne

undergroundgamingentertainment uses that chartz site as its source, automatically dismissed. The article was pretty harsh on the series as a whole though.

Looks like the game was released early in some places. Already seen a box of it at two locations myself here in Canada.

I've also already pre-purchased it on steam since I sold almost 30 dollars worth of cards so I got it for 26 usd.

DavidDesu

Got my copy. 1.01 patch installed. Here we go...

XyVsvQP.jpg

Edited 20 times to get the image to appear correctly!

First time I'm seeing the cover.

Ferrari battling the McLaren and Renault? Great to see that Codemasters are always trying to improve their simulation aspects for their games.

xrnzaaas

Actually the balancing in the 2015 version wasn't that far off. The Mercedes guys were dominating most races and teams like McLaren didn't get a crazy boost to performance. My only complaint would be not enough DNF's caused by technical problems.

Zaru

It would be a pretty shitty game if team balance were 100% realistic.

Mercedes would be the equivalent of Team RavenWest in the first Race Driver Grid or something.

Thankfully, if nothing has changed, we'll be able to mod all those values (base performance, variability, chance for good/bad days) on PC. Could be interesting to spice things up across multiple seasons.

Also, wasn't there some clause by Ferrari that their cars have to be in front if they're fully visible?

DavidDesu

Must say I'm disappointed there's no steering sensitivity settings for controller. Steering doesn't really feel 1:1 or as twitchy as I'd like it. If you try and go full lock one direction to another, it pauses as it recenters before continuing to turn. So catching slides by counter steering isn't really the way it should be. Disappointed as this was my gripe with playing F1 2010 or 2011 on a controller. With a wheel you get full control, but on a controller this feels like the control is being wrested away from me a bit. Hope they can fix this. I was hopeful after Dirt Rally they'd give us these kinds of settings in this game.

With ABS off its near impossible not to lock up, especially in slower speed corner, not sure what I'm doing wrong. It's an On/Off switch as well, so you don't get a medium assistance. With it on you can break 100% really hard and no locking up at all. Would like a middle option given how easy it is to lock up but I still want some level of challenge and having to manage it. At least TC has off middle high options, need it on medium it seems, super difficult otherwise.

DD

With ABS off its near impossible not to lock up, especially in slower speed corner, not sure what I'm doing wrong. It's an On/Off switch as well, so you don't get a medium assistance. With it in you can break 100% really hard and no locking up at all. Would like a middle option given how easy it is to lock up but I still want some level of challenge and having to manage it. At least TC has off middle high options, need it on medium it seems, super difficult otherwise.

Is there an option to change brake pressure?

Lach

Must say I'm disappointed there's no steering sensitivity settings for controller. Steering doesn't really feel 1:1 or as twitchy as I'd like it. If you try and go full lock one direction to another, it pauses as it recenters before continuong to turn. So catching slides by counter steering isn't really the way it should be. Disappointed as this was my gripe with playing F1 2010 or 2011 on a controller. With a wheel you get full control, but in a controller this feels like the control is being wrested away from me a bit. Hope they can fix this. I was hopeful after Dirt Rally they'd give us these kinds of settings in this game.

With ABS off its near impossible not to lock up, especially in slower speed corner, not sure what I'm doing wrong. It's an On/Off switch as well, so you don't get a medium assistance. With it in you can break 100% really hard and no locking up at all. Would like a middle option given how easy it is to lock up but I still want some level of challenge and having to manage it. At least TC has off middle high options, need it on medium it seems, super difficult otherwise.

Try playing with the brake balance.

Lach

Actually the balancing in the 2015 version wasn't that far off. The Mercedes guys were dominating most races and teams like McLaren didn't get a crazy boost to performance. My only complaint would be not enough DNF's caused by technical problems.

Yeah the racing AI was great in 2015 and it looks only improved this year. The only problem I noticed last year was when damaged cars were limping back to the pits, causing chain reactions by other cars crashing into them.

Mastah

https://twitter.com/F1/status/765513449120161793

Never noticed that before, what were the chances indeed?

1997 was crazy, but absolutely fantastic season. 15 drivers and 9 different cars on podium. 6 winners and pole sitters, 4 (could've been 7) winning cars. Hill barely qualifying for the first race of the season, 5 seconds off the pace only to be 3rd on the grid 10 races later, 4 tenths slower than pole. Dramas, collisions, surprises every single race. I can't wait to finally watch it.

And ITV highlights always pump me up, lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPbT_0fb7Wg

DavidDesu

Last post about the game here, sorry, until I see the OT is up and I can post there. Game's crashed twice on me in 2 hours on PS4. Had 1.01 patch but hope there's a proper day 1 patch on Friday... never really had games crashing on me before. Media apps yeah but that's about it :/

Aiii

So not worth it
"It's not nice getting beaten by someone young," Ricciardo told Autosport."I definitely see it now, he is young, but in racing terms he is very experienced."

"Racing has been his whole life, from what I understand, and although he may still have a lot to learn, for his age, he has plenty of racing experience," he added. "Even the way when he's in engineering briefings and talking about some details on the car, I don't even know what they are."

"He's a bit of a racing nerd, I guess!"

I remember a month or so ago that RIC said he didn't know much about the engine in his car, I figured he was just joking, but oh my, anyone else find this concerning?

Come on Danny, do your homework like a good lad.

I remember a month or so ago that RIC said he didn't know much about the engine in his car, I figured he was just joking, but oh my, anyone else find this concerning?

Come on Danny, do your homework like a good lad.

If he's admitting to not reading up, it could potentially be a concern in regards to his teammate. I remember Verstappen being interviewed about... I think it was the radio ban... and saying that it didn't really affect him because he knew what to do in his car should anything go wrong. Just do your homework and you should be okay

DrM

Redmond's Baby
There is an article on Autosport, where Vettel explains that they found the main weakness of 2016 car and that they will be more competitive after summer break

Took them long enough though...

In other news, even Sony and Panasonic are interesting in Formula E battery production for 2018 onwards. There are so many applicants for tender that FIA will have a difficult decision to make.

Zeknurn

There is an article on Autosport, where Vettel explains that they found the main weakness of 2016 car and that they will be more competitive after summer break

Took them long enough though...

In other news, even Sony and Panasonic are interesting in Formula E battery production for 2018 onwards. There are so many applicants for tender that FIA will have a difficult decision to make.

They should consider allowing multiple battery manufacturers to speed up the rate of development.

As for Ferrari, I'll believe it when I see it. They're going to keep promising major breakthroughs as they continue to fall further behind.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm sure that whatever they do to fix their problem will cause three new problems that will make them even slower.

Zaru

I'm sure that whatever they do to fix their problem will cause three new problems that will make them even slower.

So THAT'S how McLaren's claims of catching up to Ferrari by the end of the season will come true.

They should consider allowing multiple battery manufacturers to speed up the rate of development.
It's all fun and games until someone makes a battery for one team that lets them drive through without switching cars (or is that mandatory?)

Mastah

mclem

XyVsvQP.jpg

Vettel has the look of someone who's satisfied that he's just farted subtly enough that no-one would have noticed.

Ricciardo has the look of someone who noticed.

Verstappen may or may not have noticed, but he's too busy doing Blue Steel.

As for Ferrari, I'll believe it when I see it. They're going to keep promising major breakthroughs as they continue to fall further behind.

"We're still working on improvements on this years car, but have starting shifting focus to next year's"

*Ferrari fans get excited for next year*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom