• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Looks like Mercedes car generates too much downforce and is eating softer compounds, when pressures are as extreme as they were in Spa (ESPN)

Real talk: if it leads to the end of DRS, might not be the worst thing ever.

Obviously I don't want anyone to get hurt, goes without saying, etc.

Maybe it should. Next year the cars should go five seconds a lap faster and have more downforce making overtaking easier?

hamchan

When I saw Max doing the blocking move my first thought wasn't: "that's a good defensive move and good for breaking the status quo".

It was "someone is going to fly off the back of him, have a horrible crash and die".

I think the other drivers must have also thought the latter.

Mohonky

That's exactly what I mean. Max is revolutionary in that he is the first driver who really tries to defend himself in a DRS disadvantage. We will see more drivers do this in the future I think.

He's not a revolutionary; he just hasnt grown up yet.

He hasnt been in the game long enough to know where to draw the line. What he is doing isn't clever and it's been a combination of sheer fucking luck and pure reflexes of the drivers around him that his defending hasn't caused a serious crash.

Many of the greatest drivers had an arrogance about them or pushed the boundaries of what can do on track but we're talking about muscling others off a racing line or pushing them hard up to the edge of the track and in extreme circumstances putting them in a back off or cause an accident position in some corners, but I've never seen in 20 plus years of my watching F1 someone put themselves and others at risk in straights with no runs offs in 300km/h plus situations.

He's going to cause one almighty accident. He's lucky this is an era when the drivers are told how to act and what to say by a team of media professionals, 20 years ago he'd have had the shit knocked out of him for pulling that sort lf stunt.

Aiii

So not worth it
but I've never seen in 20 plus years of my watching F1 someone put themselves and others at risk in straights with no runs offs in 300km/h plus situations.

You have not been paying any attention then, I can think of countless examples.

And not only that, I have posted one on the exact same track, the exact same place and almost the exact same situation just last page:
https://twitter.com/The_Pamas/status/770704488562888704/video/1

Oh dear, I think it might be a thing you do to the Finnish.

I mean, if you want to criticize it, that's fine. But lets not pretend that Max is the first driver ever to pull a dumb move.

If you want a more recent example:
knl959i9svvu6ssad2ft.gif

The rules say you have one move, so the logical tactic is to stay in the middle and block after the opponent makes a move.

Yes everyone will start doing the same, its just baffling everyone stopped doing it in the first place years ago. After this maneuver comes back, there is another one that will make a return as well: pretend to go one side and go another. Rarely seen in todays spastic f1 overtakes.

The problem isn't that he moves over to block. The problem is that Verstappen does it so late that the other drivers only option is to slam on the brakes to avoid an accident.

He often combines this move with a slight drift across the track which doesn't quite count as a move but usually makes the driver behind pick the side he isn't going towards.

I would have been interesting to hear what the drivers have to say about it during the driver meeting this weekend.

Aiii

So not worth it
Did you say multiple because of Kimi? ;)

Cleanest driver on the circuit, but only one championship. Damn shame I tell ya.

To be perfectly fair to the OP's point, Kimi lucked into his championship, though, in a 3rd dog runs away with the bone situation.

Mastah

Max is just revolutionary: he is the first driver showing how to defend while having a DRS disadvantage. This is a new kind of racing and defending. Get used to it.

It stings like a sore wound when seeing overtakes in DRS F1 era. Everybody lets everybody pass like its inevitable. "you go right i'll go left".
Why no one stays in the middle and use your one legal move to block the lane your opponent chooses?

Here it is explained, in the most brutal way, sadly (NSFW, I guess):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW36MiuRlk8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT-yd3XRAyw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaEGd6bEOeI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma0C2y7avjE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMmw7jSvTtM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J-Am5rd7HE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWBjoX2Z2Us

I hope it clears why there should be no jinking under braking and no reaction to movement of a car behind.

It's that simple. I don't want to see cars airborne or into barriers at staggering speeds, because Wonderboy thinks it's a video game.

legbone

To be perfectly fair to the OP's point, Kimi lucked into his championship, though, in a 3rd dog runs away with the bone situation.

I know, I was kidding around, hence the wink.

Edit: And it's still a damn shame. Can't tell i'm a Kimi fanboy can you? :)

Par Score

Eh, it can definitely help in a close season.
The other way is to luck yourself into a dominant car.

Even then, it helps to be a complete bastard to your team-mate (Step forward Vettel, Sebastian, and Hamilton, Lewis in recent years).

Did you say multiple because of Kimi? ;)

Cleanest driver on the circuit, but only one championship. Damn shame I tell ya.

Damon Hill actually, and Our Jense, but it applies to Kimi too.

Business

You have not been paying any attention then, I can think of countless examples.

And not only that, I have posted one on the exact same track, the exact same place and almost the exact same situation just last page:

I mean, if you want to criticize it, that's fine. But lets not pretend that Max is the first driver ever to pull a dumb move.

If you want a more recent example:
knl959i9svvu6ssad2ft.gif

It seems to me it's you pretending VES is doing nothing out of the norm. Obviously he is not the first to pull a dumb move or the only one to pull dumb moves, nobody is arguing that as far as I can tell. The problem is lately he is pulling too many dumb moves too often.

Aiii

So not worth it
It seems to me it's you pretending VES is doing nothing out of the norm. Obviously he is not the first to pull a dumb move or the only one to pull dumb moves, nobody is arguing that as far as I can tell. The problem is lately he is pulling too many dumb moves too often.

I don't think I am. Stating a move is dumb doesn't sound to me like arguing that "it's nothing out of the norm."

That said, I was responding to someone arguing that nobody in 20 years pulled a dumb move like Verstappen by posting an example from 16 years ago, and one from this very season where pretty much the exact same thing happens. And there are plenty of examples, posted above is Alonso's crash in Australia, which was also Alonso being dumb and launching himself over another car. No driver, no matter how experienced, will ever be exempt from being dumb once or twice in a season.

I'm arguing that it's a bit silly to pretend that everyone is allowed a dumb move, except Verstappen because he's "too young". People act like he's the only person to do a dumb move and that he does it all the time. When in fact referring to one particular move he's done twice this season. Seems hyperbolic to me. Looking back at when Schumi did the exact same move, he was in F1 for 7 years at that point and on his way to a 3rd WDC.

Yes, it's a dumb move and he shouldn't do it, but let's not pretend that Verstappen is the first driver in 20 years to be overly aggressive in his defense.

itsgreen

I hope it clears why there should be no jinking under braking and no reaction to movement of a car behind.

I don't get your point. Those accidents are in such a wide range of reasons why they happened.

Unless your point was that accidents on a straight can be bad.

Another former F1 driver, Pierluigi Martini, also hailed the youngster’s impact on F1, “I wish there were more like him.”

“He has managed to cause a stir and that is good for formula one. People are tired of rules and judges and although the other drivers criticise him, he has become an idol for the young.”

Former F1-driver Pierluigi Martini also backing Max Verstappen.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Also while I do understand where most of you are coming from in regards to considering the maneuver dangerous, it is so because no one expects them anymore, though it will always remain the only sound tactic to use while defending in a main straight. The sport got very docile.

DD

Mentioning Schumacher kind of breaks the argument, since he's known do be one of the dirtiest drivers the F1 circus have ever seen. And it's not because other drivers (even legendary drivers like Michael) did the same that it becomes okay or less wrong. Dangerous behavior is dangerous behavior. Max either put his head down and learn like Grosjean did, or soon he'll be seen as a new Maldonado.

hamchan

Speaking of, bring back Maldonado! He brought that dangerous element every weekend and broke the mold of the docile sport F1 became. Very refreshing driver.

spyshagg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW36MiuRlk8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT-yd3XRAyw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaEGd6bEOeI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma0C2y7avjE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMmw7jSvTtM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J-Am5rd7HE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWBjoX2Z2Us

It's that simple. I don't want to see cars airborne or into barriers at staggering speeds, because Wonderboy thinks it's a video game.

I can't agree. Sorry

It not only distorts the principle that is racing (attack the car in front + defend against the attacker), but also transforms the sport in mere a car parade.

And although I appreciate the care by posting the videos to illustrating a poing, aside from Gutierres, alll of those examples show driver error trying to pass when the space isn't there? The guys in front barely moved and even the Alonso crash shows he corrected his trajectory towards gutierres at the last moment before the overtaking was finished (premature), clipping gutierres left rear tire (they both moved towards each other)

Speaking of, bring back Maldonado! He brought that dangerous element every weekend and broke the mold of the docile sport F1 became. Very refreshing driver.
I hope that's a joke. The dude was practically a blue shell, him and Grosjean actually. Webber called him a first lap nutcase for a reason.

NHale

And although I appreciate the care by posting the videos to illustrating a poing, aside from Gutierres, alll of those examples show driver error trying to pass when the space isn't there? The guys in front barely moved and even the Alonso crash shows he corrected his trajectory towards gutierres at the last moment before the overtaking was finished (premature), clipping gutierres left rear tire (they both moved towards each other)

The space isn't there anymore because the defender moved after the attacker made the move, something you seem to agree drivers should do because it works on simracing!

Verstappen moves are fine until someone (and it's only a matter of when and not if) less skilled will not be able to avoid the late move by the Mad Max, crash into him heavily and someone gets seriously injured. Then some of the current defenders of the move will go hiding for 6 months, the ultra fans will say the asphalt is the guilty part, while others will say stewards and F1 should have stopped it earlier. There is a thin line between being brave and being stupid. When you move on a braking line after already making a defending driving move, you stopped being brave.

Business

I don't think I am. Stating a move is dumb doesn't sound to me like arguing that "it's nothing out of the norm."

That said, I was responding to someone arguing that nobody in 20 years pulled a dumb move like Verstappen by posting an example from 16 years ago, and one from this very season where pretty much the exact same thing happens. And there are plenty of examples, posted above is Alonso's crash in Australia, which was also Alonso being dumb and launching himself over another car. No driver, no matter how experienced, will ever be exempt from being dumb once or twice in a season.

I'm arguing that it's a bit silly to pretend that everyone is allowed a dumb move, except Verstappen because he's "too young". People act like he's the only person to do a dumb move and that he does it all the time. When in fact referring to one particular move he's done twice this season. Seems hyperbolic to me. Looking back at when Schumi did the exact same move, he was in F1 for 7 years at that point and on his way to a 3rd WDC.

Yes, it's a dumb move and he shouldn't do it, but let's not pretend that Verstappen is the first driver in 20 years to be overly aggressive in his defense.

The key part that you keep ignoring is the number of times he is pulling these stupid moves, which in my opinion is more than any other driver at the moment.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I wouldn't be surprised if Rosberg was as bad as Verstappen if he was under pressure constantly.

What's the consensus on F1 2016? Worth $60?

spyshagg

The space isn't there anymore because the defender moved after the attacker made the move, something you seem to agree drivers should do because it works on simracing!

You are getting personal in your responses, I wont be part of it. This is something to watch sundays afternoon instead of soccer. Its not our life work, its not important nor it justifies your disproportional harsh responses.

Again, aside from gutierres the defenders barely moved in all of those videos. They should have moved more. Its racing. Attacker mistakes on all of them.

A defender is not a sitting duck. If the defender is capped to protect drivers lives, kill the sport at once as it is no longer racing.

I mentioned on my first post I dont indulge subjective sports discussions, and I shouldn't have. Crazies appear immediately and they respond like they would stab you in real life. I'm out.

legbone

I wouldn't be surprised if Rosberg was as bad as Verstappen if he was under pressure constantly.

Absolutely worth $60. A little hard to find the sweet spot for difficulty but other than that it may be the best career in an f1 game i have ever played. Keep in mind I have only played console games because i don't have a gaming pc.

edit: As for your other statement, I would love to see Rosberg in a McLaren. For shit's and giggles they should rotate the driver's in the cars during the summer break. Kind of like an all-star game. put the mercedes drivers in the manors and vice versa and see what happens. Would be hard to figure out where the middle of the pack would go though. Would you put a McLaren driver in a Renault or something like that?

DrM

Redmond's Baby

I am liking it, even though I have issues with left trigger on my pad and I am suffering in a Career mode with Manor :p

sam777

Verstappen moves are fine until someone (and it's only a matter of when and not if) less skilled will not be able to avoid the late move by the Mad Max, crash into him heavily and someone gets seriously injured. Then some of the current defenders of the move will go hiding for 6 months, the ultra fans will say the asphalt is the guilty part, while others will say stewards and F1 should have stopped it earlier. There is a thin line between being brave and being stupid. When you move on a braking line after already making a defending driving move, you stopped being brave.

^ This 100%.

Also while I do understand where most of you are coming from in regards to considering the maneuver dangerous, it is so because no one expects them anymore, though it will always remain the only sound tactic to use while defending in a main straight. The sport got very docile.

Drivers dont do it because its a dangerous move, placing all the chance on whether the car behind has enough time to react to your split decision move.

Dangerous in terms of ending your race. He couldve got a puncture in Hungary. Kimi couldve ended up completely wiping himself or both of them out.

Dangerous in terms of crashing at 200mph. Thats not a joke.

hamchan

You are getting personal in your responses, I wont be part of it. This is something to watch sundays afternoon instead of soccer. Its not our life work, its not important nor it justifies your disproportional harsh responses.

Again, aside from gutierres the defenders barely moved in all of those videos. They should have moved more. Its racing. Attacker mistakes on all of them.

A defender is not a sitting duck. If the defender is capped to protect drivers lives, kill the sport at once as it is no longer racing.

I mentioned on my first post I dont indulge subjective sports discussions, and I shouldn't have. Crazies appear immediately and they respond like they would stab you in real life. I'm out.

His response was perfectly fine. Ironically, you're the one who seems to be overreacting by calling people who disagree with you comparable to "crazies who would stab you in real life".

If you can't refute what he says then just admit it and move on, rather than accusing him of attacking you personally when he isn't doing that at all.

Zeknurn

I can't wait for the Monza weekend to begin so that we can talk about something else, like the rumour going around the paddock that Montreal might be dropped as early as next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom