• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

The problem is that side-by-side during commercials is simply not good enough, be it Indy Car series or F1. I really wish it was like soccer with no commercials.

yami4ct

Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest, though?

(genuinely wondering)

Nah, media companies can generally do what they want with the properties they own (traditional over the air I think has additional restrictions, but that's not at play here), but with F1 actually seemingly doing well in the US I would think they would be hesitant to do anything to stunt the growth. Moving to even deeper cable certainly would.

tomtom94

Formula E have announced an e-race on rFactor 2 between drivers and fans with a $1m prize pot:

http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/september/formula-e-stars-set-for-1m-vegas-esports-race/

This may be a controversial opinion, but I genuinely reckon if F1 is going to die then e-racers are going to be what kills it off. Why would you want to watch a boring procession somewhere in the Middle East when you can watch as many drivers as the computer can handle go hammer-and-tongs on a fake Nurburgring?

Zeknurn

@adamcooperF1
Trivia alert - when the Liberty deal is finalised in early 2017 the Formula One Group's stock exchange ticker symbol will be "FWONK"!

Sounds like we got an early contender for the 2017 thread title.

Also, Jaguar unveiled their livery.
Cr0rOd2WgAAHaL7.jpg:large

Cr0rOd6XYAABVEy.jpg:large

It looks very electrical.

http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/september/five-newcomers-for-the-third-formula-e-season/
Today, the FIA published the official list of drivers who will take part in the third season of the FIA Formula E Championship, which gets underway on October 9 in Hong Kong.

There are five new names that will appear on the entry list at the circuit set-up along the banks of Victoria Harbour: the three-time* FIA WTCC world champion, Jose Maria Lopez, the winner of the 2015 FIA GT World Cup, Maro Engel and the winner of the 2015 FIA F3 European Championship, Felix Rosenqvist. The new team, Panasonic Jaguar Racing will enter the other two new names, Northern Ireland’s Adam Carroll and the New Zealander Mitch Evans. They and 14 other drivers will be lining up to challenge reigning champion, Sebastien Buemi.

“In this, its third season, Formula E boasts a very high calibre driver line-up, combining experience and young talent,” commented FIA President Jean Todt. “This is further proof of the great vitality of this championship which is becoming ever more important on the global motorsport scene, a trend also supported by the fact that five new cities - Hong Kong, Marrakesh, Brussels, Montreal and New York - are all joining the calendar. Furthermore, the number of constructors continues to increase, coming from the automotive field or in more general terms, the technological sector. Formula E provides a perfect synergy between the two pillars of the FIA’s activities around the world, namely sport and mobility. The series is also an amazing tool for the promotion of a new model of more sustainable mobility, linked to the use of electric vehicles, as well as being a catalyst for the development and transfer of technology from motor sport to road cars, particularly when it comes to batteries.”

Entry List

ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport

Daniel Abt (Germany) 66
Lucas di Grassi (Brazil) 11

Andretti Formula E

Antonio Felix da Costa (Portugal) 28
Robin Frijns (Netherlands) 27

DS Virgin Racing

Sam Bird (United Kingdom)2
Jose Maria Lopez (Argentina) 37

Faraday Future Dragon Racing

Jerome D’Ambrosio (Belgium) 7
Loic Duval (France) 6

Mahindra Racing

Nick Heidfeld (Germany) 23
Felix Rosenqvist (Sweden) 19

NEXTEV NIO

Nelson Piquet Jr. (Brazil) 3
Oliver Turvey (United Kingdom) 88

Panasonic Jaguar Racing

Adam Carroll (United Kingdom) 47
Mitch Evans (New Zealand) 20

Renault eDAMS

Sebastien Buemi (Switzerland) 9
Nico Prost (France) 8

Techeetah

Ma Qing Hua (China) 33
Jean-Eric Vergne (France) 25

Venturi Formula E Team

Maro Engel (Germany) 5
Stephane Sarrazin (France) 4

There are 12 different nationalities represented on track, with France (4) and Germany (3) having the highest number. The drivers range in age from 22 (Mitch Evans) to 40 (Stephane Sarrazin).

I can't believe we're just a month away until the racing gets going again. It's been a rough off-season and I'm glad it's over soon.

Liberty Media, owned by John Malone, has installed Chase Carey, the Vice-Chairman of 21st Century Fox, as Formula 1's Chairman, while Bernie Ecclestone will stay on in the role of CEO.

It produced a detailed presentation explaining the reasons behind its decision to purchase Formula 1, and its plans for future growth, in which it pinpointed five key 'select opportunities'.

Liberty Media's 'select opportunities' for F1:

• Increase promotion and marketing of F1 as a sport and brand
• Enhance distribution of content, especially in digital
• Establish broader range of commercial partners, including sponsorship
• Evolve race calendar
• Leverage Liberty's expertise in live events and digital monetisation

Liberty Media described Formula 1 as a "low risk business model with long-term contracts", and estimates approximately $9.3 billion of revenue through the next 10 years.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/344205/liberty-media-sets-out-f1-growth-plans/

Jibbed

Liberty Media, owned by John Malone, has installed Chase Carey, the Vice-Chairman of 21st Century Fox, as Formula 1's Chairman, while Bernie Ecclestone will stay on in the role of CEO.

It produced a detailed presentation explaining the reasons behind its decision to purchase Formula 1, and its plans for future growth, in which it pinpointed five key 'select opportunities'.

• Evolve race calendar

Liberty Media described Formula 1 as a "low risk business model with long-term contracts", and estimates approximately $9.3 billion of revenue through the next 10 years.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/344205/liberty-media-sets-out-f1-growth-plans/

Sounds good to me.

chadskin

"Evolve race calendar"? Well that's curious.

They reportedly want to lessen the financial burden on race promoters and instead earn more money through the sale of broadcasting rights, including streaming.

Which means ticket prices may go down and there'd potentially be less races in the middle of nowhere in some brutal dictatorship if an F1 race is more affordable for European race promoters (e.g. Nürburgring). Here's to hoping.

Jezbollah

• Evolve race calendar

I quickly glanced down at this and thought it said Chevy Chase. ... (!)

Oh look; F1 cars are slowly going back to 1990 style design when it peaked.

Miss those humongous tires. Now get rid of driving aids and stick a manual gearboxes.

God I miss watching the cockpit videos of Senna and Prost shifting gears.

Pretty sure that modern cars have less aids than the cars Senna was driving.

I think Schumacher is quite an example how he wasn't that great in the rain before the ban of aids because Benetton was miles behind in that game but destroyed everything post driving aids.

DD

I think Schumacher is quite an example how he wasn't that great in the rain before the ban of aids because Benetton was miles behind in that game but destroyed everything post driving aids.

What to you mean? Benetton had one of the best cars in 93. =o

Pretty sure that modern cars have less aids than the cars Senna was driving.

What? Senna never drove the hyper-advanced F1 cars. Mclaren was behind on TC & Active suspension and by the time he came to Williams in 94, that shit was banned wholesale.
Senna had always driven torque heavy cars without the help of significant driving aids, thats why hes so legendary. His best season ever, 1993, he was beating or regularly challenging Alain Prost & Damon Hill in a Mclaren that had no business challenging those technological rocketships.

What? Barcelona 96, those Williams' of Villeneuve & Hill were still superior in the wet to the Ferrari Schumi was driving & he still destroyed them, comprehensively.
And what about Spa 95, when he drove the Bennetton from 16th on the grid, to first place, in conditions that involved rain & a changing track.
What about Nurburgring 95, where the race started on wets, then Schumi overcame a 45 second lead by Jean Alesi to win the race?
Schumi "not great in the rain before aids"? The races I saw from his Bennetton era say the exact opposite.

What? Senna never drove the hyper-advanced F1 cars. Mclaren was behind on TC & Active suspension and by the time he came to Williams in 94, that shit was banned wholesale.
Senna had always driven torque heavy cars without the help of significant driving aids, thats why hes so legendary. His best season ever, 1993, he was beating or regularly challenging Alain Prost & Damon Hill in a Mclaren that had no business challenging those technological rocketships.

I never claimed that the McLaren was the best car in that regard. I even mentioned how much a super car the Williams was.

What? Barcelona 96, those Williams' of Villeneuve & Hill were still superior in the wet to the Ferrari Schumi was driving & he still destroyed them, comprehensively.
And what about Spa 95, when he drove the Bennetton from 16th on the grid, to first place, in conditions that involved rain & a changing track.
What about Nurburgring 95, where the race started on wets, then Schumi overcame a 45 second lead by Jean Alesi to win the race?
Schumi "not great in the rain before aids"? The races I saw from his Bennetton era say the exact opposite.

You are like proving the point I was making.

Jezbollah

I never claimed that the McLaren was the best car in that regard. I even mentioned how much a super car the Williams was.

Less car, more engine. Honda bailed out of F1 at the end of 92, leading McLaren to use a customer Ford V8, then the disastrous Peugeot V10. If both Williams and McLaren had the same engine it would have been closer than it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom