• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jey_16

Banned
i can't imagine that Hamilton is actually serious there because i'm sure Mercedes would throw away a race win for a Rosberg title. He wouldn't be the first driver to lose a championship due to reliability issues and its not like he has not benefited from other drivers having poor luck in the past

anyway, if i was a betting person, my money would still be on Hamilton. Doesn't he have quite a few new engines with the upgrades in the bank to use due to what happened in Spa? Meanwhile, Rosberg will probably have to eke out his remaining power plants for the rest of the season which could be critical in places like Abu Dhabi where Hamilton could run at max power while Rosberg won't be able to

Zeknurn

i can't imagine that Hamilton is actually serious there because i'm sure Mercedes would throw away a race win for a Rosberg title. He wouldn't be the first driver to lose a championship due to reliability issues and its not like he has not benefited from other drivers having poor luck in the past

anyway, if i was a betting person, my money would still be on Hamilton. Doesn't he have quite a few new engines with the upgrades in the bank to use due to what happened in Spa? Meanwhile, Rosberg will probably have to eke out his remaining power plants for the rest of the season which could be critical in places like Abu Dhabi where Hamilton could run at max power while Rosberg won't be able to

Wolff said Hamilton has one unused power unit and one that has done 3 races. These two needs to last the rest of the season for him, where as Rosberg can bring any potential upgrades with his new parts.

Zaru

I just checked, and before this race, Lewis and Nico were basically equal in terms of "bad luck that cost them points and wasn't their own fault". The engine issues make it look worse for Hamilton but that's his first actual reliability DNF in a race, he still managed podiums in all races were his car had a fault during the weekend.

andshrew

It sounded like Paddy Lowe was suggesting Hamilton would likely take another engine change penalty now when he was interviewed immediately after the race.

Unless Rosbergs engines also start self combusting he shouldn't need to eke out anything he should just be able to race normally until the end of the year.

SilentRob

He was teammate to Schumacher, so he should know as well as anyone the shady dealing that go in in a team.

Yes. And even he is calling these conspiracy theories out as ludicrous.

I just checked, and before this race, Lewis and Nico were basically equal in terms of "bad luck that cost them points and wasn't their own fault". The engine issues make it look worse for Hamilton but that's his first actual reliability DNF in a race, he still managed podiums in all races were his car had a fault during the weekend.

I was actually looking for a statistic like that, could you link the source?

spuckthew

it could easily be down to how Hamilton drives the car, maybe puts more pressure on the engine.

Nah, and that train of thought needs to stop being bandied about because there's no proof, especially as Hamilton managed to win 6 in 7 races mid-season with no issues and fewer engine parts. Also last year he achieved 17 podiums in 19 races with only a single retirement; and in 2014 he won 6 of the last 7 races, as well as winning 4 in a row early on.

The fact is, is he was running in clean air with a relatively new engine, yet it blew anyway. That's just bad luck.

I'm still praying the law of averages evens things out.

He recovered well given the circumstances (especially in Belgium and Russia). Rosberg needs a couple of botched Saturdays.

Mohonky

So bummed as a Hamilton fan. Just not his year this one. When Vettel hit Rosberg I felt for Rosberg as they would have been a shit of a way to lose the title lead, but then Hamiltons engine just completely let go. Seems whatever hits Rosberg comes back worse for Hamilton, just doesnt seem like its meant to be for 2016.

Massa had a shitter too poor guy.

The Mclaren seemed decent though, they are definitely getting up there.

NHale

Conspiracy theories are about to get more weird than ever before.

When you get out of the car with the feeling you have, after leading the race, and the car fails, it is pretty hard to say positive things.

But, as I said in the interview, Mercedes have built 43 engines, with the extra three I have had, and I have had most of the failures. It is definitely a tough thing.

But I have 100 percent confidence in these guys. I have been with them now, it is my fourth year with them now, the guys in the garage, the guys back at the factory, and I have 100 percent faith in them.

I love it here and without them I would not have won these two championships.

When asked to explain who he was referring to when he said 'someone' didn't want him to win, Hamilton said: A higher power. It feels right now that a higher power is intervening a little bit.

But I feel like I have been blessed, with the great opportunity to be here.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamilton-has-100-percent-faith-in-mercedes-832548/

Juicy Bob

I think people are reading too much into Hamilton's comments.

He has every right to feel disappointed and need some time to get over it. I think he's got suggesting that it may be bad luck or fate that he's had this happen, nothing more.

It sounded like Paddy Lowe was suggesting Hamilton would likely take another engine change penalty now when he was interviewed immediately after the race.

Unless Rosbergs engines also start self combusting he shouldn't need to eke out anything he should just be able to race normally until the end of the year.

If Hamilton needs to take another penalty, that's pretty much game over. He needs to win all 5 races assuming RBR or Ferrari cannot split the Mercedes.

So Hamilton needs to win 4 races and beat Rosberg in the 5th in order to be guaranteed the title now, is that right?

Pretty much.

The source is me going through the races of this year and checking/remembering what happened to the Mercs

What failures did Rosberg have?

Zaru

I didn't say "failures", mind you. I said bad luck that cost them points. That includes more than failures.

There's that car issue in Monaco which put him back to 7th (and people said he would regret letting Lewis pass for the team), then right after he got punched back several places by Lewis in the first turn of Canada. There's that "stopwatch issue" in Britain, and now he got thrown back in Malaysia by Vettel.

They're pretty even in terms of racing incidents, but it's 6:4 to Hamilton in terms of mechanical issues. Hamilton's mechanical issues tend to put him into last place. Rosberg's tend to have him drive non-optimally.

List of racing incidents affecting the results:

Australia: Hamilton pushed off by Rosberg, losing many places.
Bahrain: Hamilton hit by Bottas, losing many places.
Spain: LOL
Canada: Rosberg pushed off by Hamilton, losing many places.
Austria: LOL
Malaysia: Rosberg pushed around, putting him back to last place at turn 1.

List of failures affecting results

China: Hamilton suffers gearbox issue in quali, starts from pits.
Russia: Hamilton suffers hydraulic issue in quali, starts 10th
Monaco: Rosberg suffered from brake issues, lets Hamilton through,
Baku: Both suffer from similar engine software issues. Rosberg has slow pit stop.
Silverstone: Rosberg has brake issue. Receives penalty for team ‘coaching’ him to fix it.
Belgium: Hamilton starts at back, from numerous mechanical failures earlier in the season.
Singapore: Hamilton has brake issues.
Malaysia: Hamilton’s engine goes boom.

I didn't say "failures", mind you. I said bad luck that cost them points. That includes more than failures.

There's that car issue in Monaco which put him back to 7th (and people said he would regret letting Lewis pass for the team), then right after he got punched back several places by Lewis in the first turn of Canada. There's that "stopwatch issue" in Britain, and now he got thrown back in Malaysia by Vettel.

Car issue in Monaco? There was none. He just did not have any confidence in the car, similar to how Lewis felt in Singapore (although it was reported thereafter that Lewis did have suspension and brake issues).

Canada? This was a racing incident, similar to what happened in 2014 between them, only Lewis was on the losing side, but backed out earlier in the corner which resulted in him still making the corner and staying in the top 3. This was just poor racecraft by Rosberg.

Stopwatch issue in Britain did not really cost him that much (at most 3 points).

Vettel driving into him - I agree. Definitely lost the win considering Hamilton's pace and subsequent DNF.

I count a maximum of 13 points, though. Lewis lost way more than that just today.

Monaco: Rosberg suffered from brake issues, lets Hamilton through,
Baku: Both suffer from similar engine software issues. Rosberg has slow pit stop.

He didn't really suffer from brake issues, just lack of confidence in the car in wet conditions (which has been a recurring theme for him this season for some reason). Team confirmed thereafter.

At Baku, they did not have the same ERS software issue; ROS triggered it whilst HAM's engine was set in that mode from the get go (which is why he couldn't reset it properly).

Zaru

Car issue in Monaco? There was none. He just did not have any confidence in the car, similar to how Lewis felt in Singapore (although it was reported thereafter that Lewis did have suspension and brake issues).

You can't tell me that a guy who won the last three Monaco races and sits in a Merc ending up in 7th place without incident is not a car issue. Come on.
And both drivers had brake issues in Singapore which had to be managed hard until the end, it's not anything mysterious that only affected Lewis.

Also correction, the stopwatch was in Germany, not Britain. Britain was the radio call penalty.

This is a really strange year, two drivers closely contending for the championship and yet they're hardly ever racing each other (and when they do it tends to end badly)

Fox Mulder

I think people are reading too much into Hamilton's comments.

He has every right to feel disappointed and need some time to get over it. I think he's got suggesting that it may be bad luck or fate that he's had this happen, nothing more.

He has the right to be frustrated, but that's also the time your real feelings can come out and you say stupid shit.

I really hope he doesn't actually believe his team is sabotaging him.

Staab

There's no way he meant anything other than "my team is fucking up my engines on purpose".
Yes he was disappointed, gutted and sad, but that's exactly what he meant by those words.
He got hit on the fingers with a ruler and is now backtracking.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Well, he's religious enough that you can't rule out that he was talking about divine intervention or something.

Given that his team already had to write a public letter to dismiss allegations of sabotage earlier in the season, there is just no way that Hamilton did not know exactly how his statements would be interpreted.

Anybody suggesting Mercedes did anything to cost Lewis the race are retarded, and that includes Lewis and the Sky crew.

Like they're going to cost themselves the win and clinching the constructors title in Malaysia of all places, which is basically their number one sponsor's owned race.

Fox Mulder

Anybody suggesting Mercedes did anything to cost Lewis the race are retarded, and that includes Lewis and the Sky crew.

Like they're going to cost themselves the win and clinching the constructors title in Malaysia of all places, which is basically their number one sponsor's owned race.

Petronas is part of the conspiracy, obviously.

RoKKeR

Engine explosion to the end was pretty great. An impressive drive from Rosberg today to come back from that first lap incident, and that scrap between RIC and VES was incredible stuff.

Really sucks for Hamilton, but that's F1 for you.

Edit: Lmao the shoey hits at the end. Can we please get that every race?

Mastah

Officially confirmed:

CtyBkq_VMAAnaB_.jpg:large

Business

Engine explosion to the end was pretty great. An impressive drive from Rosberg today to come back from that first lap incident, and that scrap between RIC and VES was incredible stuff.

I think with the superiority of the Mercedes, with no damage after the first corner it was a given ROS would make it to 4th/5th. His drive was correct but I can't agree it was impressive, also considering the overtake on Kimi was quite poor in my opinion.

Breakage

Hamilton's engine fireworks was the highlight of the race.
Drinking out of shoe that has housed a sweaty foot - Dan Ric's shoey thing is gross.

f0rk

If the stewards decision for Rosberg was before the last round of pit stops would he have had to serve it in the box? Quite lucky if so, he might have struggled to pass Kimi again.

ramparter

Banned
Congrats to Mercs fpr giving the title to their favourite driver. Clear as day.

Ok seriously now, I obviously dont know whats the truth but neither does anyone else. And stop using the "even X person says its bullshit", those people protect the sport. F1 is another business, there are money involved, people want to win, anything could happen.

Fox Mulder

mercs have proven they have the car to climb back up from the back. Rosberg almost fucked that up and was lucky to just get a penalty instead of crashing out in that dumb overtake.

He was #blessed to not suffer any damage from the turn 1 spin or get hit immediately afterwards.

The best races of this era are when the mercs fuck up and let others win.

Mastah

Ricciardo’s victory was his first of the season and the fourth of his career. Remarkably all of the Australian’s wins have come from lower than third on the grid, Ricciardo having started Sunday’s race from fourth.

http://www.formula1.com/en/latest/f...-red-bull-score-first-one-two-since-2013.html

That's incredible, so I had to have a look at other current multiple time winners:

Raikkonen - 8 out of 20 wins
Alonso - 8 (well, 7 not counting 2008 Singapore GP) out of 32 wins
Button - 5 out of 15 wins
Hamilton - 2 out of 49 wins
Vettel - 0 out of 42 wins
Rosberg - 0 out of 22 wins
Massa - 0 out of 11 wins

hamchan

That's incredible, so I had to have a look at other current multiple time winners:

Raikkonen - 8 out of 20 wins
Alonso - 8 (well, 7 not counting 2008 Singapore GP) out of 32 wins
Button - 5 out of 15 wins
Hamilton - 2 out of 49 wins
Vettel - 0 out of 42 wins
Rosberg - 0 out of 22 wins
Massa - 0 out of 11 wins

Need Danny Ric in the top car already ><

Mohonky

Ouch, adding insult to injury.

The hell did Haas get fined for?

Wheel was not correctly attached to vehicle. Its always been a big thing in F1 to let a car leave the pits without having the wheel properly attached.

One of the main issues with this one was that it looked like the tether wasnt on the wheel or whatever they did it wasnt working. Stray wheels are massively dangerous to other drivers, marshals spectators etc, thats why they tether them.

If you have an accident and the wheel breaks free of the tether than yeh, thats just bad, but if a wheel just completely falls off and makes its way down the road clearly indicating the tether wasnt never on properly, they tend to make a big deal of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom