• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
A wheel free rolling is a danger.
There was that incident a few years back when one either hit a cameraman, or a mechanic. Not sure.
But that's quite a mass and velocity to deal with a free trajectory.

Have they asked for access to the roof of rosbergs trailer?

XS5LK.gif

On qualify day I heard the TV reporter say that Mercedes managed to get over 1000 Bhp out of the engine for the first time , maybe the engine didn´t like that in the long run .

Line_HTX

Kenny Omega would take those Aussies down, lol

Wheel was not correctly attached to vehicle. Its always been a big thing in F1 to let a car leave the pits without having the wheel properly attached.

One of the main issues with this one was that it looked like the tether wasnt on the wheel or whatever they did it wasnt working. Stray wheels are massively dangerous to other drivers, marshals spectators etc, thats why they tether them.

If you have an accident and the wheel breaks free of the tether than yeh, thats just bad, but if a wheel just completely falls off and makes its way down the road clearly indicating the tether wasnt never on properly, they tend to make a big deal of it

Oh, no wonder. Gutierrez's tire simply detached like it wanted to get away. Someone in the pits weren't paying close attention.

Goldrusher

I didn't understand that reference. What story are you talking about?
Probably this:

The long-running feud between Elon Musk’s space company and its fierce competitor United Launch Alliance took a bizarre twist this month when a SpaceX employee visited its facilities at Cape Canaveral, Fla., and asked for access to the roof of one of ULA’s buildings.

About two weeks earlier, one of SpaceX’s rockets blew up on a launchpad while it was awaiting an engine test. As part of the investigation, SpaceX officials had come across something suspicious they wanted to check out, according to three industry officials with knowledge of the episode. SpaceX had still images from video that appeared to show an odd shadow, then a white spot on the roof of a nearby building belonging to ULA, a joint venture between Lockheed Martin and Boeing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...b60514-874c-11e6-a3ef-f35afb41797f_story.html

There are so many basic things we don't like if Hamilton maybe runs a more aggressive power unit cooling setup than other drivers with Mercedes PU to improve the airflow.

It's quite unrealistic that an UK based engine manufactor is running a b model series just for Hamilton.

Line_HTX

Raikkonen should've finished 3rd, but no, Rosberg went and crashed into him.

Should've been a completely different podium up there.

Rosberg would overtake Kimi sooner or later.

The collision broke part of Kimi's floor and front wing though. I guess with little better luck (collision would have not broken anything) Kimi could have been that few seconds faster during rest of the race and taken that podium with the penalty on Rosberg but yeah if Rosberg just had overtaken him cleanly he would still had gotten the podium.

Hasegawa says they're targeting a 5th place finish with Alonso and the new PU.

New PU has pre-ignition and will use a special blend from Mobil 1. Button will use old spec.

Scarbs/TheGrid:

Honda’s challenge has been to match its rivals for power and fuel efficiencies. Starting from a long way back in 2015, the Honda PU is still behind on peak power, but not as far as it might appear. A key comment during a technical director press conference suggested the power unit’s contribution to lap time varies only by 0.3 seconds. In F1 terms, this equates to 30hp. This isn’t a huge deficit, nor one which cannot be bridged with a single update.

Nevertheless, there have been races this season where the McLaren-Honda still appears to lack far more than a few tenths of horsepower. This is where Honda are about to catch up. In a race, the Honda engine currently uses too much fuel relative to its rivals, who have applied highly advanced lean burn combustion solutions, which allows the limited fuel to produce maximum horsepower throughout the race.

With a conventional combustion set up, the Honda cannot match this from good engineering alone, so a step change is required in the combustion design. For Ferrari and Mercedes, this is a process known as pre-chamber ignition, whereby a small chamber is formed inside the cylinder head between the spark plug and the main combustion chamber. This gets filled with a rich fuel mixture. The main combustion chamber gets filled with only a very weak fuel air mix, which would be hard to ignite with a conventional spark plug. When the spark plug ignites the fuel in the pre-chamber, the resulting flame vents through small holes into the main combustion chamber, which then burns the weak fuel mix easily. This creates a long power stroke, despite the largely weak fuel mix.

Such technology requires a very different cylinder head architecture, along with special fuel injectors, spark plugs and – critically – special fuel, to be able to react to the unusual combustion process.

Honda have earmarked development tokens to be spent in Malaysia to allow a big upgrade to the engine. With the turbo, MGU and inlet system all now optimal, it’s expected that a lean burn technology will be the result of this development. This will ultimately bring Honda closer into line with its rivals, allowing them to push the engine for maximum power throughout the race, rather than having to curb its performance to manage the fuel available.

McLaren will be on the podium if it's a wet race, book it!

Yagami_Sama

I really wanted to see Mclaren finishing a race on top 3, but if this happen will be more luck than skill. Something like both Mercedes and Redbulls crash and the new Engine manage to survive the entire race and be on par with the Ferraris.

dubc35

Someone needs to run a text data analytics algorithm on Wax Free's posts of McLaren optimism since the McHonda announcement.

My hypothesis:
100% positive and/or unrealistc depending on perspective.

kmag

So on double flyaways, what do they actually do between teardown on Sunday and setup Thursday at the next track? Do they get to go to the next track early? Or do they set up a garage elsewhere, or is a couple of days completely off?

Jibbed

So on double flyaways, what do they actually do between teardown on Sunday and setup Thursday at the next track? Do they get to go to the next track early? Or do they set up a garage elsewhere, or is a couple of days completely off?

Some personnel leave the previous race location on Monday and go straight to the next venue, there's hardly time to do anything else.

Drivers spend 2-3 days doing media activities and exploring the area whilst the garage blokes get to work.

Zeknurn

BOOM

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/october/mercedes-takes-option-on-season-five-entry/

Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix Ltd (MGP) and Formula E Operations Ltd have signed an agreement by which Mercedes have taken an option to enter the FIA Formula E Championship in season five.

According to the option agreement, Mercedes may choose to be one of the maximum of 12 entries to be proposed by the championship promoter to the FIA to enter from the 2018/19 season.

Just Volvo left now.

Yo fellas.
For Extra Life this year, I'm going to be dedicating a sizable chunk of time to F1

Thus far, I have:
Al Unser Jr Turbo Racing (NES)
Super Monaco GP (Arcade)
Virtua Racing FlatOut (PS2) - Yeah I know, not truly F1, but I love VR.
F1 Championship Edition (PS3)
F1 2016 (PC)

I wanted to see what would be a good Saturn/PSX era game to slot in.
Any suggestions?
I heard F1 '97 for PS1 was pretty good.

andshrew

Any suggestions?

F1 '97 is the GOAT, although I prefer the Murray Walker commentary track more on the original Formula 1 game on PS1.

I'd suggest Grand Prix 2 or 3 for PC if you're looking for other games to fill the gap between Super Monaco GP and the PS2 game.

Shaneus

Yo fellas.
For Extra Life this year, I'm going to be dedicating a sizable chunk of time to F1

Thus far, I have:
Super Monaco GP (Arcade)
F1 2016 (PC)

Any suggestions?
F1 Live Information I really enjoyed, that was a Saturn title. I think the English version didn't have commentary, but I imported the Saturn one (a LONG time ago) and loved it. Japanese-heavy from memory though, but worth it for the Japanese commentary.

F1 '97 is god-tier F1 gaming, though. Murray Walker would be great for streaming, I'd think. I also wouldn't go past Grand Prix Circuit for PC (or Amiga, or even C64 I think?) by Accolade, but that's an older title.

ramparter

Banned
Yo fellas.

Thus far, I have:
Super Monaco GP (Arcade)
F1 2016 (PC)

Any suggestions?
Definetely check out F1 World Grand Prix for N64
http://m.ign.com/games/f-1-world-grand-prix/n64-3535

Lach

So what actually HAPPENS in driver briefings? I mean, we're gonna find out soon, but I have no idea.

I only know driver briefings from the Senna documentary and Rush (where they discussed if they race on the wet Nordschleife or not)....

Really interested in this.

D

Deleted member 53899

Unconfirmed Member
Yo fellas.

Thus far, I have:
Super Monaco GP (Arcade)
F1 2016 (PC)

Any suggestions?

PC (and Amiga in the early days) but you need some Geoff Crammond in there:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-02-retrospective-geoff-crammonds-f1-gp-article

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoff_Crammond

And Grand Prix Legends (PC), not that I ever managed to complete a lap in it without spinning: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prix_Legends

D

Deleted member 53899

Unconfirmed Member
PC (and Amiga in the early days) but you need some Geoff Crammond in there:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-02-retrospective-geoff-crammonds-f1-gp-article

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoff_Crammond

And Grand Prix Legends (PC), not that I ever managed to complete a lap in it without spinning: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prix_Legends

Ooh! Ooh! And Formula One on the ZX Spectrum was a really fun management sim at the time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One_(1985_video_game)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom