• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Haha, the Stoff did score points before his WDC teammates.

Great start by Haas (GRO at least). I hope they can keep it up.

I saw on the BBC there was some fighting in a area of Azerbaijan and thought, yep sounds like an F1 location.

A war zone is an F1 location??

Random record of the day:

Kimi has now record of 8 podium finishes in Bahrain without a win and shares the record with Alonso who has 8 podium finishes from Brazilian GP without a win.

Risgroo

RgFtR7X.png

This was Sauber's last race?

Kaltenborn missed today and went back to Switzerland to beg sponsors for monies
No funds available to fly out to China
Talking with Alfa Romeo

Ferrari A, B and C teams next season?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I would hate to lose Sauber but this is all on Kaltenborn.
She has been a joke since she took over as team manager, last years driver contract farce as a case in point.

Their lead designer resigned just as the car was to launch and the car seems like a dog to drive.

Talking with Alfa Romeo

Wait whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Damn.....

Always loved Sauber as a team but.......

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DUMP KAMUI KOBAYASHI.

Bad things happen.

John_B

Vandoorne, Magnussen and Werhlein with some great drives today. Magnussen started from the pit lane and there was no safety car period.

Grosjean was top class. Ricciardo was good. Rosberg, Raikkonen and Hamilton were all solid doing their own thing without being able to do more under the circumstances.

The wins have been pretty boring from being mostly uncontested but the rest of racing has been very good so far.

Mastah

MotoGP race was amazing. Wow.

Shame that Rossi couldn't push hard on his second bike, but it gave us fantastic battle for 2nd place. MotoGP delivers once again, without any artificial measures to "spice up the show".

Talking with Alfa Romeo

They had problems every year since BMW left, as I vividly remember Perez saying they were lucky to make it to the grid in Australia in 2012. But it all really kicked off with Bianchi's accident. No preferential deal with Ferrari for 2015, no special results which Jules would likely deliver, all this mess with 4 drivers for 2 seats, paying off van der Garde and court case with Sutil. Fatal accident seemingly also caused fatal blow to the team :( I just hope they can be rescued by some investment.

tomtom94

Sauber have been teetering on the edge ever since they took a huge step backwards in terms of pace in 2013. Remember when they were planning on putting Sirotkin in the car to court Russian investment? (In hindsight, probably not actually a bad plan - I rate Sirotkin quite highly)

Mastah

1 driver won last 5 races
2 drivers won last 8 races
3 drivers won last 28 races
4 drivers won last 54 races

Zaru

Rosberg's trying to be the new German Jesus, with him winning 5 in a row and recently saving a boy from drowning and everything.

But his two wins in this season where in the wake of Hamilton's serious troubles. The two haven't even properly raced against each other on equal footing yet. If he can win in a direct fair fight more often than not, he might have an ACTUAL shot at the title.

Though... he'll never have that superstar appeal, will he?

frontieruk

Shame that Rossi couldn't push hard on his second bike, but it gave us fantastic battle for 2nd place. MotoGP delivers once again, without any artificial measures to "spice up the show".

So the concessions system that Ducatis and Suzuki are gaining advantages from isn't artificially spicing up the show? Being able to run more fuel and softer tyres than other teams to keep racing tight seems artifical to me...

RoKKeR

Watched the highlights... damn, I am so impressed with Haas and GRO. They were obviously the beneficiary of the red flag in Australia, but did end up showing some good pace there.. This 5th place finish though sees them climbing 4 (?) spots ahead of their qualifying position, surpassing teams like Williams (I'll get to them in a second jfc) and Torro Rosso, and succeeding in their use of an aggressive tire strategy. For a team on their second race, this is seriously impressive stuff. They were obviously playing their cards right in how they entered the sport, but I don't think anybody quite expected something like this. Well done guys, way to represent...

...now, Williams. I'm so happy Haas is in the game this year or else I'd be stuck rooting for Williams again, which continues to be a truly painful thing to do. What in the hell happened? I obviously didn't watch the full race but I'm guessing an idiotic and typical Williams tire strategy netted them 8th and 9th after ending up in 2nd and 3rd during the first lap!? Bottas even Mario Kart-ed Hamilton out of the way and he still ends up behind the likes of Haas and Torro Rosso? Man... They obviously have a good car because of where they are qualifying but they have still failed to connect all of the dots since they rebooted the team in 2014.

Anyways, I look forward to watching the next race at a more normal hour, and hope that Vettel's Ferrari doesn't blow up in order to keep things at the front interesting.

Mastah

So the concessions system that Ducatis and Suzuki are gaining advantages from isn't artificially spicing up the show? Being able to run more fuel and softer tyres than other teams to keep racing tight seems artifical to me...

AU1393097.jpg

I wouldn't mind something similar in F1. After all from 2003 to 2006 testing with third car during free practice for teams outside Top 4 previous season was allowed.

This is especially sad considering that 2012 had 8 different winners alone, 7 just in the first 10 races...

2008 was the best year looking at statistics of teams and drivers winning and reaching podiums

It shows that if the FiA stabilises the rules for few years, smaller teams can catch up.. Relax the rules and stabilise them..

frontieruk

AU1393097.jpg

I wouldn't mind something similar in F1. After all from 2003 to 2006 testing with third car during free practice for teams outside Top 4 previous season was allowed.

I doubt the teams outside the top 4 have the funds to run a third car for testing all year.

Only people I see benefiting from similar rules would be Redbull, and maybe Renault, Redbull could develop their engine more while refining their chassis same for Renault, the other teams wouldn't get engine improvements being customer teams so it'd be chassis work, which most couldn't afford.

so

Mercedes
Ferrari
status quo

Redbull / Renault big improvements

Hass / Williams Small moves forward

the rest status quo

the softer tyres would potentially put cars out of place in qualifying except everyone would have them bar Merc / Ferrari.

extra fuel would have to negate the extra weight as no one actually runs with a full tank anyway.

Extra Engines would be welcomed though

frontieruk

Maybe Ferrari signed the wrong German Jesus....

What is Nico his contract looking like at the moment?

last season, as he was looking for a renewal when Hammy had his I think

Nico Rosberg is expecting to stay at Mercedes beyond the end of his current contract, which is due to expire at the end of 2016.

Rosberg has been at Mercedes since its return to Formula One as a constructor in 2010, but has missed out on title victories to team-mate Lewis Hamilton since the team became championship contenders in 2014. Rosberg's contract is due to expire at the end of the year, but he has no plans to start looking elsewhere for a drive in 2017.

Maybe Ferrari signed the wrong German Jesus....

What is Nico his contract looking like at the moment?

It's way too early to lose faith, my Dutch friend. Stay strong and keep believing in the finger, because you know he's testing you.

Vettel is nonetheless confident that Ferrari can still take the fight to Mercedes in 2016.

"We had a good preparation over the winter, we are pushing very hard and we know that we can still improve," he added.
"We still have a lot of races ahead of us, this is going to be a long year so even if today it was not good because I couldn't score any point, we'll make sure that the next race goes a lot better."

Again, stay strong. We can do it. There's no need to go full Alonso before Vettel does.

mclem

Bottas even Mario Kart-ed Hamilton out of the way and he still ends up behind the likes of Haas and Torro Rosso?

Well, that might have something - in part - to do with the penalty he incurred for Mario Kart-ing Hamilton out of the way.

tomtom94

Williams were just too hard on their tyres, they went for a two-stop strategy but in order to make it work they had to stick on mediums instead of softs, which hit them on pace.

Addnan

If Grosjean drives for Ferrari it will be quite the funny story. From destroying their only real hopes of a title in years to driving for them.

Ferrari should be looking for younger talent.

edit: crap dp

They still haven't gotten anything remarkable out of their Drivers Academy, since they opened it in 2009. Bianchi is dead, Gutierrez finally has a drive again, but one of the Italian drivers they had has been kicked out late last year. They have four others in the queue.

Charles Leclerc, 4th in the 2015 Formula 3 season, now in GP3 for ART
Antonio Fuoco, 6th in the 2015 GP3 season, still in GP3
Giuliano Alesi, Jean's son, 4th in the French 2015 Formula 4 season, now in GP3 for Trident
Guan Yu Zhou, 2nd in the Italian 2015 Formula 4 season, now in Formula 3 for Moto park

Even if they turn out to be talented and good drivers in a couple of years, where would they go? I can't imagine Haas playing second fiddle for Ferrari for too long and Sauber's future remains questionable, even if Alfa should bail them out.

Lima

Oh! The highlight reel on F1.com missed that detail. Thanks. Even still, Massa fell off too, didn't he?

Because they know their car chews tires they made the call to run 2 stints on prime. And even on them they couldn't really push because otherwise they would have needed another stop. The car is just bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom