• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Lewis for Motorsport.com

"This track is quite good, you can overtake, but the car was pretty damaged – I don't know what, probably some aero components. I think the suspension was damaged as well because the car was flexing like crazy.

"It was like a four-poster bed today."

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I am wondering how would race evolve without early safety car

And I still think that Mercedes is having quite some advantage, but they are hiding it well

They really don't. Keeping the distance at 25 seconds for a safety pit stop is hiding it, a 35 second lead is showing off. And without the safety car Rosberg would have had a 60 second lead over second place.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Sky tabloid sure is milking this Vettel Kvyat thing.

All they need is Ted running to Kvyat and tell him that Seb is right, because he is four time WC and he drives a Ferrari

Followed by Di Resta deathly stare into the camera

Business

If KYV would have been able to hold into that inside line it wouldn't matter how tight or how agressive it would have been with VET. Seeing how he had to go wide to the 'third lane' afterwards though makes me think VET has a point and that gap wasn't a gap.

If KYV would have been able to hold into that inside line it wouldn't matter how tight or how agressive it would have been with VET. Seeing how he had to go wide to the 'third lane' afterwards though makes me think VET has a point and that gap wasn't a gap.

It wasn't totally fair game but not something that gets a penalty even in modern F1.

Business

It wasn't totally fair game but not something that gets a penalty even in modern F1.

Sure I never said Kvyat needed to be punished. I was mostly replying to all the Vettel is a crybaby posts in here. There's no reason for a penalty for such an incident and specially at the start when everyone is looking for their space, but Kvyat had a big part on the Ferraris collision and that's the point.

They were awful today. Well, whole weekend, from 'OMG Ferrari is the #1 car' wankery from Friday, I do not know what they blabbered yesterday (I was at work). to grand finale today.

Best part was when Croft went on for like a third of a lap about Vettel trying to overtake Kvyat when what was actually happening was Raikkonen trying to overtake one of the Toro Rossos. Seriously, this year the TR and the Red Bulls aren't even that similar.

Zaru

Best part was when Croft went on for like a third of a lap about Vettel trying to overtake Kvyat when what was actually happening was Raikkonen trying to overtake one of the Toro Rossos. Seriously, this year the TR and the Red Bulls aren't even that similar.

To be fair, the tv direction was partly at fault here, showing the "battle for 2nd" overlays for the wrong drivers for like half a minute or more.

pJGqwbf.jpg

Staab

I think Vettel was mostly right, he should've braked a bit though, Kvyat would've gone straight past and he could've then take the inside line.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
That shot makes Vettel's anger more understandable. Kvyat seemed indeed to have a different angle than anyone else in that corner due to his high entry speed. He would have basically crashed into Vettel had Vettel not evaded him. Still, qualifies as a first lap racing accident.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Even Arrivabene said that is not fair to point fingers on drivers, on who caused it, because it was a racing incident.

Can't understand why Mercedes and Hamilton didn't hang at the back until things calmed down. The cars he passed in turn 1 would've been easy passes on the straight on lap 1 or lap 2.

Can't understand why Mercedes and Hamilton didn't hang at the back until things calmed down. The cars he passed in turn 1 would've been easy passes on the straight on lap 1 or lap 2.

He's a racer!

...just not a particularly smart one. 8 seconds or not, starting from the pits was always the thing to do. You can make up that time in a single lap, and then work through the opposition methodically. Hamilton's problem is that when he gets out of position he needs to pass NOW NOW NOW. (See Hungary 2015 for another good example)

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I thought going soft for the last stint would bite them in the ass at the end, but it clearly worked out

As analysis shows, it would be much wiser to use softs for the last stint - track temp dropped and quite some teams had issues with maintaining the temperature of medium compound.

Marlenus

He did hang back, he was super cautious going into T1 and still got collected because of Kimis unsafe return to the track which forced Nasr to take avoiding action.

DieH@rd

Banned
Lewis had so much time to make his overtaking moves.... but no, he had to enter into the fray immediately in turn 1. Bad choice, especially since he has such better car than the drivers around him.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Russia could be quite packed spectator wise with 1st of May slot. Beginning of summer season at Black sea + extended weekend due to national holiday

Ferrari powered cars suffered quite severe power cuts on the straights. I really wonder if they will be able to get rid of this with next version of their engine - as we know them, they will fix it, but screw up something else in the process.

Spades

That was awesome. Vettel let him have it like a proper old school driver. I want less buddy buddy relations in F1 and more salt.

Yeah, I'm not a Seb fan but I appreciated that he had the guts to tell him to his face, rather than just slag him off in the media.

For what it's worth, I think if a reasonable gap is there at the start, you go for it. Same with Bottas and Hamilton in Bahrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom