• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razgreez

Let's see if Kimi can maintain some momentum

This is what i really want to see. Bottas is getting under Hamilton's skin ever so slightly (with his qualifying performances) so it's time for Kimi to step up and see what Vettel's reaction would be. If last year was anything to go by it would definitely make race weekends more interesting

Aiii

So not worth it
I am still completely stunned we live in a world where there is no Mercedes on the front row of a F1 starting grid.

Hamilton having a meltdown is as exaggerated as his car breaking down. Since the ending of 2016's season, Hamilton has shown that he can handle stress and the mistakes that he makes himself. The only time I can see him getting mad or angry is if the cars start to fail consistently like McLarens, and at that point, I wouldn't blame him for being mad.

It seems you have an agenda that is against him finishing the race.

We all thought he had put the epic meltdowns he had in 2011 truly far behind him and then the first half of last season happened.

I truly hope he can find his pace for the race because on form Hamilton chasing someone for the lead has classic race potential.

BigAl1992

I am still completely stunned we live in a world where there is no Mercedes on the front row of a F1 starting grid.

Not me. To be honest, I kind of expected it to happen eventually, after having watched F1 for over 20 years. You come to expect a team to lose their place on top of the hill. Ferrari turned to be the ones to dethrone Mercedes in that regard. Only now, the question is how this season will pan out for them and for Mercedes. It'll come down to reliability and strategy calls on the day that'll decides who end up the winners for this year.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are so lucky to be able to watch this. The closest I can get to Formula One is Motocross.

Zaru

What's crazier about Mercs having equal competition isn't that it finally happened, but that it's FERRARI who stepped up, after what was generally considered a morally devastating 2016 season with backwards momentum.

Humidex

What's crazier about Mercs having equal competition isn't that it finally happened, but that it's FERRARI who stepped up, after what was generally considered a morally devastating 2016 season with backwards momentum.

Wonder how much of it was Allison's work before going to Mercedes?

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
That was a pretty entertaining Formula 3 race at Monza. McLaren has a keeper in young Lando Norris. Prema is not dominating as expected, is that due to the driver lineup this year?

Everyone managed to keep it clean this time, which is a surprise considering the last time Formula 3 visited Monza this happened:
race_under_investigation.png

Maybe that's the difference between a 19-car grid and a 35-car grid.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
That was a pretty entertaining Formula 3 race at Monza. McLaren has a keeper in young Lando Norris. Prema is not dominating as expected, is that due to the driver lineup this year?

Everyone managed to keep it clean this time, which is a surprise considering the last time Formula 3 visited Monza this happened:
race_under_investigation.png

Maybe that's the difference between a 19-car grid and a 35-car grid.

Yeah, the grid shrinking helps a lot to avoid most of the chaos, though it really should be larger than a measly 19 cars. It's even worse in Formula V8 3.5 with just 12 cars.

Zaru

Wonder how much of it was Allison's work before going to Mercedes?
I kinda doubt he had THAT much of an influence, because:

- It was clear around summer that he would leave, the team probably pulled him from the new reg development as soon as they expected it (and with his wife's death in March I doubt he was in the optimal state of mind either)
- The big Marchionne-induced restructuring that resulted in Ferrari looking great this year so far (not just in performance) instead of a running joke happened without Allison

So maybe he oversaw the basic design philosophy, but a technical director is really more the management composer for an orchestra of engineers rather than the actual designer.

FrankCanada97

Yeah, the grid shrinking helps a lot to avoid most of the chaos, though it really should be larger than a measly 19 cars. It's even worse in Formula V8 3.5 with just 12 cars.

The size of the grid is a good indicator of the health of various racing series. It's weird, but I get a little anxious seeing less than 20 cars in any racing series. Even this year, I was a bit dismayed to find out that Manor wasn't coming back. Too bad it'll probably be years until we see a new team enter F1.

The size of the grid is a good indicator of the health of various racing series. It's weird, but I get a little anxious seeing less than 20 cars in any racing series. Even this year, I was a bit dismayed to find out that Manor wasn't coming back. Too bad it'll probably be years until we see a new team enter F1.

Engine cost tripling over the V8s has pretty much made new entries impossible.

Don't expect the current engine formula to last more than 3-4 years at this point.

DBT85

Don't expect the current engine formula to last more than 3-4 years at this point.

I'll be changed by 2020.They've already started talking about it nd how it should look. They want noise and they want to keep the energy recovery, so you have to think they'll ditch the turbos which will significantly reduce costs.

FrankCanada97

If any of you are staying up late at night, the IndyCar race at the Phoenix short oval is starting in 15-20 minutes on NBCSN or BT Sport if you're in the UK.

FrankCanada97

Mikhail Aleshin spins out on cold tires causing a chain reaction. Maybe it wouldn't have been as bad if Max Chilton stood on his brakes and not let his car roll back onto the racing line.

sTiTcH AU

Smart way for McLaren to ensure there is at least one team they can out qualify/race.

Dammit i was going to say exactly that.

On a more serious note having more engines on the grid to collect data from can only be a good thing for Honda and Mclaren (and sauber I guess).

Spades

Reading the SS Twitter replies to the Sauber Honda announcement just compounds how clueless the majority of casual F1 fans are. Frustrating.

Long-term, it's a deal that makes lots of sense for both parties. High risk, high reward for Sauber who aren't going anywhere closer to the front of the grid using old Ferrari horses. Presumably this deal isn't going to cost them much, either - if anything? Honda get double the data and a completely different chassis to work with.

Sensible move all round, assuming Honda stay with McLaren next year also.

Staab

Sauber Honda WCC 2018

Makes a lot of sense for Sauber, really.
They don't have the money to get anything relevant, old Ferrari engines aren't helping their case and they're back to the tail end of the grid anyways.
I assume they'll get free engines or a massive payout either way, win-win.

KdotIX

Really good move for Sauber, especially if Honda are throwing money or discounted latest spec engines at them. If Honda get their act together next season (and I have a feeling they will as they're making structural changes to their programme) this could push sauber up the grid a bit.

Also a good move for Honda, if McLaren stay committed to their deal, then they have double data. If McLaren break off and go with a different supplier, they're still in the game.

Looking forward to the race today.

tomtom94

I can't help but feel the optimism in Honda getting their act together is misplaced. I reckon this could be similar to Arrows dying a slow death at the back of the grid. But will remai optimistic nevertheless.

Joni

A car The Stoff (as well as Alonso) describes as well balanced with good grip, sorry but it's him. So far he's shown that he's slow over one lap and slow race pace wise. It won't be a good look if OAP Jense returns and does a number on him, which I honestly expect him to.

Alonso gets upgrades first so you need to see on which races he was driving the same car.

xrnzaaas

@SauberF1Team
We are very pleased to welcome Honda on-board as our new technological partner from 2018! http://bit.ly/2qkAU18 #F1

Good news for Sauber (financially), good news for Honda. McLaren Honda 2018 is possible imo, but I don't see Alonso being that patient and needing that much extra money. McLaren should have allowed another team to have Honda engines a lot sooner (even in B-Spec form), maybe even in their second year after the return to F1.

hadareud

The Translator
Is it too early to say that Vandoorne is really not very good, or is it impossible to be faster than your team mate even in a single session, ever, if your engine is a bit shit even though they have the same material?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Temperatures up at highest of the weekend now.
Could be good news for Mercedes who are having trouble getting the tyres up to the optimal operating range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom