• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodelero

I don't really understand how the stewards aren't looking at Vettel/Hamilton into corner one. Hamilton is ahead and Vettel touches him and pushes him off. Hamilton then doesn't go to the left of the bollard. One of the two, if not both, surely are guilty? Seems really bizarre.

Ark

I don't really understand how the stewards aren't looking at Vettel/Hamilton into corner one. Hamilton is ahead and Vettel touches him and pushes him off. Hamilton then doesn't go to the left of the bollard. One of the two, if not both, surely are guilty? Seems really bizarre.

Because the stewards are letting them race, they won't be influencing what will be a classic season too much.

Grug

They cancel out, let them race!

kiyomi

This race isn't over.

Can't we just let them race?

SilentRob

Oh for fuck's sake, that sucks for Wehrlein. He'd really deserve a good position with his performance :/

Rules. Why have them.

I get it's exciting, but something being exciting shouldn't be the arbiter of whether it's legal.

image.php

No fun allowed.

Rodelero

Because the stewards are letting them race, they won't be influencing what will be a classic season too much.

This is absolutely ridiculous logic though. Not applying the rules is just as much influencing the competition as applying them. What Vettel did was dangerous. The other cars that have been pushed off at that corner have had their races ended. It seems, right now, pretty unlikely that Hamilton will win the race. The fact he was held up for several extra laps, and the fact that he had a collision, and the fact that Vettel didn't get the penalty he surely should have got, has shifted this race massively in Vettel's favour. It also sets a ridiculous precedent because a driver has now been allowed to get away with literally hitting someone off the track when they tried to overtake. What's to stop Hamilton from doing the same thing when Vettel tries to overtake him, punting him off into the rumble strips and destroying his race?

Is that really what we want? It may benefit a race here or there, it may benefit a driver here or there, but in the long term it destroys what makes sport fair. I mean, if they want to change the rules to allow that kind of thing, then fine. What you can't do is have rules that are explicit in disallowing X but allowing it anyway dependent on all sorts of mysterious criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom