• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Potentially the second race of the season with zero on-track overtakes (issues aside).

Keep winning, 2017.

Aiii

So not worth it
By helping RIC, RBR screwed over another driver, they are gonna be gifting their drivers podiums left and right at this rate. :)

Kimi did not have the speed to drive those lap times.

Vettel would've slowed down a bit because of the cars that were one lap behind. It's not like Kimi was driving in slow motion. Few fast laps (even a bit slower ones) would've done it. Vettel is driving faster right now but it was a tactical decision as well.

dakun

It doesn't matter in Monaco, you just stay ahead and you win, Kimi would have been ahead if he stopped one lap after Seb, but it didn't happen for an obvious reason, it's nothing bad really, it just the way it is.
Bottas was barely able to keep Verstappen behind by pitting one lap later. Vettel would be first no matter what. His pace right now proves that

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
It's the same as we have seen with Mercedes the last 3 years. The strategy they went with gave the second place driver the chance to overtake.

To be clear I don't think they did anything wrong. I would have just ordered Kimi to move over on lap 2 if it was me. Kimi is not winning the championship. They found a smarter way to do the swap.

There was no "swap". Pitting first is considered advantageous, hence why the leading driver of the two is almost always given it. The only way the second place driver is getting past is if they have the pace on older tyres when given clean air, which is exactly what happened.

Jibbed

Vettel would've slowed down a bit because of the cars that were one lap behind. It's not like Kimi was driving in slow motion. Few fast laps (even a bit slower ones) would've done it. Vettel is driving faster right now but it was a tactical decision as well.

Literally no 'tactics' to it.

Kimi was slow, then hit traffic.

Seb was fast, had a completely clear track.

And now he's disappearing into the distance, whereas he happily followed Kimi for the opening 40 laps.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Crofty really is starting to be annoying. He just can't let it go.

Kimi would be in a different position if he hadn't been underperforming the entire season. Why is it that Vettel's slow teammates are always being fetishised as martyrs.

Rahvar

Kimi could have waited for Seb to pit and he would be ahead, whatever, I understand why Ferrari did this.

Generally it's always the one in the lead out of the two drivers in the samr team that pits first. Was always the case with Rosberg and Hamilton. It was not team orders.

Generally it's always the one in the lead out of the two drivers in the samr team that pits first. Was always the case with Rosberg and Hamilton. It was not team orders.

That would be the case if the good strategy was the undercut which it was during the previous few seasons.

This is the season of the overcut ever since the first race.

In the past we've had safety cars and red flags for busted manhole covers. So... whatever.
If they didn't want Vettel to come out ahead they would pit him the lap after raikkonen.
Mhmm. Vettel is faster, but had they pitted on consecutive laps Kimi almost assuredly stays in front and can defend to the end. Ferrari perhaps didn't outright hand Vettel the win, but they did Kimi zero favors. Like they shrugged and knew they'd have a 1-2 regardless and stopped caring. I'd argue that some of this is tyre allocation. No one brought more than 1 set of SSofts, so no one ran them on Thursday to test pace to outright know that old Ultras would still be faster.

Cuddler

Bottas was barely able to keep Verstappen behind by pitting one lap later. Vettel would be first no matter what. His pace right now proves that
Not really, Kimi did 1:15:500 on supersoft the lap Vettel went in, after that his pace changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom