• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaru

from reddit & wtf1 ;)

111z0spp.jpg
Amazing. Truly amazing

chadskin

Carlos Sainz has signed a deal to join Renault, Motorsport.com has learned, in a move that will trigger a series of dominos to secure McLaren the French car manufacturer's engine for 2018.
Although the provisional deal is for 2018, sources have suggested that Sainz could join Renault as early as this year's Malaysian Grand Prix if the outfit elects not to continue with Jolyon Palmer.

If the Sainz switch happens from Sepang, then it is likely that Pierre Gasly will be given the call-up to join Daniil Kvyat at Toro Rosso.

No firm decision has been taken regarding Sainz's replacement for 2018, but one contender would be Honda junior driver Nobuharu Matsushita, who will likely be released from his McLaren development driver role.
Sainz's Renault deal has cleared the way for Toro Rosso to complete its switch to Honda engines, with the Faenza-based team also taking a supply of McLaren gearboxes for the Japanese power unit.

Once the Toro Rosso-Honda agreement has been finalised, then the final issue to be sorted will be McLaren's Renault contract – although that will then likely be a formality.

It is thought that all the deals will be complete by the start of next week, to ensure that announcements can be made ahead of the Singapore Grand Prix.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sainz-renault-switch-str-mclaren-honda-951146/

I'm glad Palmer's going out. He belongs in sports cars not F1. I wish him a good career because he seems like a genuinely nice guy. But you have to show moments of brilliance despite car issues. He hasn't shown this at all. Kind of reminds me of Bruno Senna.

Zaru

I'm glad Palmer's going out. He belongs in sports cars not F1. I wish him a good career because he seems like a genuinely nice guy. But you have to show moments of brilliance despite car issues. He hasn't shown this at all. Kind of reminds me of Bruno Senna.
His only way of catching attention was not getting obliterated by Hulk in like one race weekend total.
He had his chance.

xrnzaaas

I hope Kubica has a realistic chance to drive for Williams next year, because there's no way Renault will get rid of Hulk (and to be fair they shouldn't be thinking about that, he's doing an awesome job for them).

DBT85

John_B

Hulkenberg and Sainz is a good matchup. I see Renault finishing ahead of Haas and Toro Rosso.

We got rid of Palmer, now we just need Massa to say his goodbyes and let Kubica take the seat.

Yagami_Sama

What a plot. A lot of changes. And poor Palmer.

Sainz’s Renault deal has cleared the way for Toro Rosso to complete its switch to Honda engines, with the Faenza-based team also taking a supply of McLaren gearboxes for the Japanese power unit.

At least Wax will be able to continue blaming the gear box to justify the Engine failures.

XD

BigAl1992

Well at least we know now that the end game is in sight. I'll be glad to see McLaren working their way back up the grid with the Renault engine, while Renault will have a strong line up for next year at least. Palmer has to go, he hasn't shown any improvements this year, and I strongly suspect that Kubica will go to Williams next year. I doubt Massa is going to hang around next year and if not, We'll probably see Kubica in LMP1 racing for WEC. Now THAT I'd like to see for next year's Le Man 24 Hours.

What a plot. A lot of changes. And poor Palmer.

At least Wax will be able to continue blaming the gear box to justify the Engine failures.

XD

If the switch happens RedBull will be doing the gearbox according to Horner, so with McLaren's shoddy gearbox out of the picture we'll see a 95% drop in PU problems.

Zeknurn

I'm glad to see that Sainz didn't get Buemi'd.

Him joining Hülkenberg makes it a very strong lineup for Renault, now they just need to build a fast enough car to regularly put that driver talent on the podium.

Caboose

Feel for Palmer a bit, he doesnt have the pace but he seems like a swell guy and I'm always sad when his engineer tells him to retire the car and he's like 'Oh...ok:('

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Gasly only has one conflict with Super Formula during the US Grand Prix. Is it assumed that he will be in the Toro Rosso for the remainder if Sainz goes to Renault this year?

Jezbollah

Feel for Palmer a bit, he doesnt have the pace but he seems like a swell guy and I'm always sad when his engineer tells him to retire the car and he's like 'Oh...ok:('

Palmer is talented, but that plateaued at winning the GP2 series. He'd do well to go into WEC or IndyCar. Reminds me of another Justin Wilson.

Fox Mulder

RBR going to Honda in 2019? Danny had better be eyeing of other seats already.

They'll have the option to if Honda is good enough. Redbull is stuck until the new engine formula, as they're denied the two best engines, so this is the best they can do. They can stay with the current Renault deal, hope Honda gets good, and maybe the new rules attract Porsche or Audi.

Aiii

So not worth it
They'll have the option to if Honda is good enough. Redbull is stuck until the new engine formula, as they're denied the two best engines, so this is the best they can do. They can stay with the current Renault deal, hope Honda gets good, and maybe the new rules attract Porsche or Audi.

It really is the best deal for them. McLaren was stuck between a rock and a hardplace, but with RBR having STR for the beta testing, they now have options going forward, if Honda doesn’t work out, nothing of value is lost.

Aiii

So not worth it
How's Matsushita?

I need an asian driver I can feel partial towards.
Haryanto was shiiiiit

Haryanto wasn’t that bad, certainly gave Wehrlein some competition.

Matsushita is so good he is in his third GP2 season and yet still somehow does not have enough points to get an F1 superlicense.

ramparter

Banned
At some point Honda will get good. Will be funny as shit if it happens right after RBR gets them. Watch them be closer to Renault in 2018 and deliver a top tier engine im 2019.

BigAl1992

I hope they get rid of Kyvat as well. An absolute nobody this season.

I can't remember when this was said, as it might have been during one of the broadcasts Sky Sports F1 did, but allegedly Kvyat is being held at Toro Rosso as a warning to drivers in Red Bull Young Driver program in what happens if you screw up in the Top Team race seat.

Fox Mulder

I can't remember when this was said, as it might have been during one of the broadcasts Sky Sports F1 did, but allegedly Kvyat is being held at Toro Rosso as a warning to drivers in Red Bull Young Driver program in what happens if you screw up in the Top Team race seat.

Or they just need him where he is.

Redbull might lose Ricciardo and or Verstappen in the next few years. They just gave Sainz to Renault and Gasly likely gets pulled up. They can't really afford to just drop Kvyat too.

FrankCanada97

How's Matsushita?

Haryanto was shiiiiit

Matsushita is competent but inconsistent. Being outscored by Nicholas Latifi while being in a top team this late in the season should be ringing some alarm bells. If you want to support an Asian driver, I believe that the Thai F2 driver Alex Albon has more potential than Matsushita. He was runner-up to Leclerc in a tight GP3 championship battle.

Or they just need him where he is.

Redbull might lose Ricciardo and or Verstappen in the next few years. They just gave Sainz to Renault and Gasly likely gets pulled up. They can't really afford to just drop Kvyat too.
And given Helmut Marko's recent comments about the Red Bull junior team's current drivers, it seems like they're aren't likely moving anyone else up in the near future.

Fisico

How's Matsushita?

Haryanto was shiiiiit

He spent his 3 GP2/F2 year with ART, arguably one of the best team

Vandoorne's teammate in his first year, 1 win (sprint race) + 2 podiums (1 sprint/1 feature) 1 fastest lap, ended 9th with 68.5pt while Vandoorne won the title with 341.5pts

Sirotkin's teammate, 1 win (sprint race), 1 podium (feature race), 4 fastest lap, slightly more consistent, ended 11th with 92pts while Sirotkin ended 3rd with 159pts

Albon's teammate, 2 wins (sprint races), 2 podiums (feature races), 2 fastest lap, more consistent, currently 6th with 115pts while Albon is 10th with 66pts.

So he's not trash, he's not a top F2 driver either, I didn't see most of the races but I do think he tends to crash regularly (or maybe that's just the japanese stigma that makes me think that) he doesn't improve much after 3 complete years in the same category, maybe if he had a 4th year he would be able to win the title.

He's somewhere in the ballpark of Leimer, Palmer, Coletti and Valsecchi.

DBT85

At some point Honda will get good. Will be funny as shit if it happens right after RBR gets them. Watch them be closer to Renault in 2018 and deliver a top tier engine im 2019.
Honda might one day get less shit. I'm not sure that they'll catch Ferrari or Mercedes before the engine refresh, but they might not break every race by then.

With their current performance, who would want to be tied to them for the refresh when it rolls around?

I do too. He seems like a good lad. But F1 is about speed and money. Unless you bring in a lot of money, you better have speed. He doesn't have either.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Nirei Fukuzumi might be a better prospect than Matsushita.

Albon's not having the most fortunate season, but he's worth looking at.

EDIT: Gasly won his 2nd Super Formula race. Rosenqvist finished 2nd.

Juicy Bob

Matushita is not the F1 driver Japan deserves right now.

Do not jump on his bandwagon just because he's the closest one to F1 right now.

He will only bring disappointment.

stryke

Haryanto wasn’t that bad, certainly gave Wehrlein some competition.

Matsushita is so good he is in his third GP2 season and yet still somehow does not have enough points to get an F1 superlicense.

I seem to remember him crashing a lot, including one in the pitlane but I could be making that one up.

Yeah Matsushita doesn't sound promising.

We aren't in the early 90's anymore, when there was so much money pumped by Japanese investors that Japan even got a second GP.

Japan has right now no talented single-seat racing driver, so everything is highly unlikely.

Jezbollah

Honda might one day get less shit. I'm not sure that they'll catch Ferrari or Mercedes before the engine refresh, but they might not break every race by then.

With their current performance, who would want to be tied to them for the refresh when it rolls around?

I still think Honda's current F1 program was half baked for years - what they are doing now should have been done in private before they officially re-entered.

Re Alex Albon - he's good - but it's his debut year. I think he'll be better next year. But Honda dont want Asian - they want Japanese. And Japanese only. If they put a driver in that seat (if that happens - I can only imagine they'll do it if they're paying STR what they're paying McLaren now...) then it will be Matushita or Fukuzumi.

I dont think Honda will pay STR that McLaren money though - so I suspect Kyvat will keep his seat if he brings any Russian money in at all.

FrankCanada97

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be many exceptional Japanese talents coming up the feeder series'. The two in F3 are field fillers. Does anyone know if there are any standouts in the Japanese F4 series?

I seem to remember him crashing a lot, including one in the pitlane but I could be making that one up.

Yeah Matsushita doesn't sound promising.
You sure you're not mixing him up with chicken expert Sean Gelael? I'm pretty sure he crashed in the pits at Abu Dhabi a few years ago.

stryke

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be many exceptional Japanese talents coming up the feeder series'. The two in F3 are field fillers. Does anyone know if there are any standouts in the Japanese F4 series?

You sure you're not mixing him up with chicken expert Sean Gelael? I'm pretty sure he crashed in the pits at Abu Dhabi a few years ago.

Nope, I was half right.

https://youtu.be/8ZPplKJZ5TQ?t=21s

Wasn't entirely his fault though lol, someone sent him out into the Haas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom