• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lach

Can you imagine the juicy behind the scenes story of a Ferrari protege in a Ferrari powered team without a driver contract vs. a Mercedes protege in the same team but with a contract

Ferrari: For each race you let Gio race, you get a free upgrade from a 2016 to a 2017 engine :p

I'm really confused with the Wehrlein situation. The increased fitness requirement this season is valid, but I can't imagine that he's still this far behind.

I feel like it's either that they're really downplaying the back problem situation (he has been medically cleared though), or that he is fed up to be put into a backmarker team again.
But I can't imagine that the second point would lead to him having zero motivation and not keeping fit.

On the other hand I don't think Mercedes would accept them sidelining Wehrlein for any other reason than actual medical/safety reasons.

Yes, it is a bit weird. He must have been in pretty good shape before the accident so a month or so without normal training shouldn't make it impossible to drive.

Maybe there is something in the contract that says that you can be replaced for the season if you get an injury that makes you miss x number of races and he wants to make it look like it's decision and that he is not forced to by the injury?

It could also be that the crash affected him mentally and that he isn't comfortable driving the new F1-cars on the edge yet.

Mastah

I'm really confused with the Wehrlein situation. The increased fitness requirement this season is valid, but I can't imagine that he's still this far behind.

I feel like it's either that they're really downplaying the back problem situation (he has been medically cleared though), or that he is fed up to be put into a backmarker team again.
But I can't imagine that the second point would lead to him having zero motivation and not keeping fit.

On the other hand I don't think Mercedes would accept them sidelining Wehrlein for any other reason than actual medical/safety reasons.

I've read from a good source that it's possible Wehrlein is not 100% fit, but the real problem is testing at Barcelona circuit is, well, testing. In Melbourne, when it was no longer driving around, but rather pushing more to the limit, on a bumpy track, it aggravated his injury.

BTW:

F1 Racing‏ @F1Racing_mag 55m55 minutes ago

Ooh! >90K responses to our survey, just 13 votes separating @LewisHamilton and @alo_oficial as most popular driver

ALO 18.1% HAM 18.1% RAI 15.7% VET 14.1% RIC 8.4% VER 8.4%

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Yes, it is a bit weird. He must have been in pretty good shape before the accident so a month or so without normal training shouldn't make it impossible to drive.

I don't think that general fitness is the issue here. Is injury hasn't probably fully healed yet.

jambo

I think everyone is reading a bit too much in to the situation.

Formula 1 drivers in the modern era are elite athletes, and missing a months worth of training will really put them behind. From what the BBC said during the race weekend in Australia, they didn't expect him back for a few weeks, so there was always a chance it would end up being two races.

If he doesn't show up for Bahrain I'd start to worry.

Vettel's China helmet commemorating Schumacher's last win...

C8kj7VNXcAAlziY.jpg

Mastah

Just Honda things:

"We did some good progress in the mono-cylinder on the dyno, but as soon as we complete the V6 engine we had many issues.

"What we achieved in mono-cylinder is at a very good level, but when we transfer exactly the same specification to the V6 engine it doesn't work. We are very disappointed. But it was too late that we noticed that – at Christmas.

"We have huge vibrations," added Hasegawa, who says Honda's new engine currently produces "almost the same power" as the 2016 unit.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda-boss-thought-2017-f1-engine-step-was-too-easy-889447/

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Just Honda things:
Huge vibrations, no more power.

Runs single cylinders in a dyno instead of a full engine until far too late to correct any problems.

Anyone else see a pattern here? It's not a pattern of competence that's for sure.

Wax just misread some early reports. He thought he read that Honda will have the best single seater engine but the report actually said Honda will have the best single cylinder engine.

Your thoughts, Wax?

Fake news.

Hasegawa at Melbourne:

"we have more power than we did at the point of Abu Dhabi last year"

"Vibration wasn't much of an issue today. But it was still happening a bit on shift-up, so if we solve that we may be able to shed some laptime. As comments from drivers, they said oscillation was still persistent, same as before. It always happens when you shift up, but it just doesn't seem to disappear. That's the issue.

https://jp.motorsport..を作るしかない-885035/

McLaren will still win races this season once they fix their weak gearbox and Honda introduce their combustion developments.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
McLaren will still win races this season once they fix their weak gearbox and Honda introduce their combustion developments.

Wax Free Vanilla pre-2016:

Yesterday was the first time all season that Honda tried full power deployment in a race? lol

Their gimped ERS needing two laps to fully recharge, Alonso on the same tyre as Vettel set the 3rd fastest race time:

HAM 18.3 43.8 42.5 1:44.517
VET 18.3 43.8 42.5 1:44.550
ALO 18.3 43.9 42.6 1:44.796

McLaren Honda with a fixed ERS will be the second fastest car at the 2016 season opener.

Wax Free Vanilla pre/early-2015.

They won't get quick until they introduce token upgrades, all improvements so far have been mainly on the software side.

The other week Arai hinted at token upgrades for ERS and combustion chamber. Alonso says Austria will be an important step. I'm guessing he'll be testing the full token upgrades in the post race test.

McLaren will win a race this season.

Of course, a good step up in performance compared to Melbourne with a small increase in power usage, and with Alonso saying it's still "very, very limited" I have no doubt that when Honda power reaches 100% McLaren will win this season.

The engine was running at 50% power range according to Arai plus ers problems, things will get much better, McLaren will win grand prix this season.

Honda says the competition would be jealous if they saw their engine:

Wax Free Vanilla pre-2014.

Honda's Arai says they trust McLaren to deliver a good car, the drivers will be special next season, they aim to win / beat Mercedes, and win the championship within two-years.

Alonso & Button for 2015/16, the goods times are coming with Peter P's Honda powered rocketship.

Wax Free Vanilla pre-2013.

That someone must've forgot about the MP4-24...

Mclaren will win multiple races this season but the championship is already over.

(They didn't win a single race, btw.)

Dilly

Banned
Fake news.

Hasegawa at Melbourne:

"we have more power than we did at the point of Abu Dhabi last year"

"Vibration wasn't much of an issue today. But it was still happening a bit on shift-up, so if we solve that we may be able to shed some laptime. As comments from drivers, they said oscillation was still persistent, same as before. It always happens when you shift up, but it just doesn't seem to disappear. That's the issue.

https://jp.motorsport..を作るしかない-885035/

What the hell is wrong with you?

Zeknurn

I'm watching the press conference interlude and it's raining quite a lot.

Forecast:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/04/06/2017-chinese-grand-prix-weather/
With the first session of the weekend less than 24 hours away forecasters increasingly expect a wet start tomorrow. Drizzle is expected throughout the morning and cars are due on track at 10am.

The afternoon session, which begins four hours later, may also be affected. Low air temperatures and little support race action (the track will remain empty between Friday's two F1 sessions) will do little to dry the surface.

However by Friday afternoon the first band of rain should have passed through the area leaving a good chance of dry conditions for Saturday practice and qualifying. By the afternoon the cloud cover may even begin to lift, but only temporarily.

More intense rain is expected on Sunday morning which should make life difficult for the Porsche Carrera Cup Asia drivers in the day's only support race at 11:20am. By the time the F1 cars head out for their formation lap over two-and-a-half hours later the rain should have eased or even stopped, but the track will have been well doused.

Zaru

Don't expect a wet race, but if the teams practically only have one practice session in the dry, car setup's gonna be a bit of a lottery and the track won't be rubbered in much.

Seems almost mean to make fun. I assume he has some sort of disability such as autism?

No harm in leaving him post as he is.

Zaru

Marko: “I have to say for the first time: I am really grateful to Ron Dennis for having vetoed our Honda ambitions, otherwise we might have Honda engines”

Savage

Zaru

Ferrari needed until Saturday to get their setup right in Melbourne, and boy did they get it right for Vettel at least.
That might not work out in China. Or it might. Maybe Mercs don't get it right either. We don't know. Either way the weekend might not be a perfect indicator of optimal pace since car setup is a lot harder at this point of the new regs.

Sounds like someone needs to do an avatar bet.

What do you propose?

Ferrari needed until Saturday to get their setup right in Melbourne, and boy did they get it right for Vettel at least.
That might not work out in China. Or it might. Maybe Mercs don't get it right either. We don't know. Either way the weekend might not be a perfect indicator of optimal pace since car setup is a lot harder at this point of the new regs.

Either way, it's pretty exciting. I'm looking really forward to it.

Do not try to derail Ferrari train :)

Of course I want Ferrari to win. I'm just being realistic, as always.

Zaru

Of course I want Ferrari to win. I'm just being realistic, as always.

Realistically, if things are anywhere close to matched at the top, the Mercs would still win every second race at the least.
Cars have been dragged to close championship finishes with 3-5 wins from time to time.
It's not the end of the world. But a lot of people on the Ferrari hype train seem to expect them to win every race or something. I bet if they don't fight for a win two races in a row people are gonna shout FERRARI CAN'T DEVELOP A CAR OVER A SEASON immediately.

mclem

Shift F1's China preview is up. It's a Drew-only affair.

A broken clock is right twice a day.

Except a clock made by Honda, which is so broken that it's wrong literally all the time.

It's actually very difficult to make a clock that's *never* right in any context, so kudos to them on that front!

(The easiest way to make a clock that never shows the right time is to have it constantly X minutes fast or slow - but for that to never actually be correct, it needs to be *consistently* at that offset, and so is keeping perfect time albeit at that offset. A truly useless clock would have to have its speed fluctuate, but never at a point where it's representing the correct time. But to do that... it'd have to *know* the correct time in order to avoid it!)

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.

Ouch.

I'm a McLaren fan, but I'm not a deluded fool. Wax what the hell. Just take the L and stop defending the idiots at Honda.

KdotIX

Quick question. Does anyone here subscribe to autosport plus? I'm considering it and was wondering if it was worth it?

Mastah

Seems like Fred didn't get the memo:

Will Buxton‏ @thebuxtonblog 17m17 minutes ago

One race into the season and Fernando seems destroyed. I've never seen such resignation in him. How much longer can he endure the struggle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom