• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lach

Maybe Liberty Media actually has the balls to do this.

The TV stations are still able to show the race at the scheduled time, and I'm sure theyd rather show a recorded race than no race at all.

Zaru

The tiny but not impossible chance of a starting grid based on FP1 times is making me laugh so hard.

Verstappen cruising to a win while Hamilton rages through the field after having to start last because of his lucky number 44.
It would be glorious.

Zeknurn

The tiny but not impossible chance of a starting grid based on FP1 times is making me laugh so hard.

Verstappen cruising to a win while Hamilton getting stuck behind Alonso all race after having to start last because of his lucky number 44.
It would be glorious.

ftfy.

Qualifying will definitely happen though.

Hammer24

Banned
I'll be so kind and let you pick the avatar.

May I submit a proposal?
Because this is so decent, understatet and classy; and not tacky at all:

C8ttC2WXkAAfpgc.jpg

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Is there any information as to why Malaysia has been cut from the calendar? Is it a case of new bosses same old bullying of venues for more cash or did they actually have a good reason?

tomtom94

Is there any information as to why Malaysia has been cut from the calendar? Is it a case of new bosses same old bullying of venues for more cash or did they actually have a good reason?

Called it without having to look it up:

BBC said:
The decision, announced by F1 commercial boss Sean Bratches, comes after the country's government questioned the value of the race.

ramparter

Banned
The bet is a Maldonado avatar as a punishment. Why would you reward the loser of the bet with an awesome avatar like that?

There's a catch though: he will be forced to keep the avatar as long as Vettel continues to win the wdc with Ferrari, after 5 years of dominance he will hate it to death - yup vettel will win 5 titles with Ferrari, 9 wdc total.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Not financially viable I'm afraid.

It's a dann shame too as it's actually a good track.

Anyway, the Honda engines didn't explode today for a full days running, see it is reliable.

What do you mean there wasn't any running to speak of.

Hopefully a solution to the helicopter issue can be found if Sunday is similar to today.

Mastah

From last year:

“Maybe it will do Malaysia good to take a break,” said Razlan. “I think the product is no longer exciting. It’s being dominated by one team.”

“I think we should stop hosting the F1,” he said. “At least for a while. Cost too high, returns limited.”

“When we first hosted the F1 it was a big deal. First in Asia outside Japan. Now so many venues. No first mover advantage. Not a novelty.”

“[Sepang International Circuit] should bid for less costly races, retain Moto GP which is still popular, spend on development and increase public access to track days.”

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/10/24/malaysia-may-drop-f1-over-falling-popularity/

Jezbollah

Not financially viable I'm afraid.

It's a dann shame too as it's actually a good track.

Anyway, the Honda engines didn't explode today for a full days running, see it is reliable.

What do you mean there wasn't any running to speak of.

Hopefully a solution to the helicopter issue can be found if Sunday is similar to today.

It's not financially viable because F1 is dull as fuck these days. MotoGP pulls much bigger numbers in it's race weekend in Sepang

Double, in fact.

MotoGP (2016)
F1 (2016)

dakun

so apparently Toto Wolff confirmed that the reason Wehrlein is out for two races in a row is because he actually broke a vertebra of the neck when he had the accident.
Apparently he wasn't able to move much for weeks during this time.

John_B

That's too bad. That would have been a shit situation if Mercedes had signed him.

It seems like it won't have too much of an impact on his career. I still think about how Kubica never got the chance in a decent car.

Zaru

You have no way of backing that statement up. :)

Maybe the cost of putting the F1 race on is the reason those tickets are so costly.
You really think there would be that many visitors for MotoGP if ticket prices were 3 times higher and there were also races happening in Singapore and China?

That has to be the reason, even a well-attended race like Silverstone is barely scraping by due to the hosting fees.

BigAl1992

so apparently Toto Wolff confirmed that the reason Wehrlein is out for two races in a row is because he actually broke a vertebra of the neck when he had the accident.
Apparently he wasn't able to move much for weeks during this time.
I have to shake my head at the thought that Wehrlein tried to get into an F1 car with that sort of injury. Now, I respect his decision to push through the pain and attempt to do so, but having known someone close to my family who had a similar injury nearly cripple him for life, I just can't condone this. Your health is more important at the end of the day.

Zaru

I have to shake my head at the thought that Wehrlein tried to get into an F1 car with that sort of injury. Now, I respect his decision to push through the pain and attempt to do so, but having known someone close to my family who had a similar injury nearly cripple him for life, I just can't condone this. Your health is more important at the end of the day.

The guy must be seeing his career slip through his fingers though. His junior (Ocon) gets the better seat, the open spot at Mercedes is filled for the time being, and now his replacement was making positive headlines.

DBT85

We don't know the ins and outs. I doubt the team doctor would have let him even attempt it if they thought it were dangerous.

I imagine its healed up but since he's not been able to train the car has been trying to rip his head off through the corners.

Jezbollah

You really think there would be that many visitors for MotoGP if ticket prices were 3 times higher and there were also races happening in Singapore and China?

That has to be the reason, even a well-attended race like Silverstone is barely scraping by due to the hosting fees.

I suspect that there would be more attendance at MotoGP vs F1 even if the prices were the same for three reasons:

1) MotoGp has better "star quality" at the moment - ie Valentino Rossi, and Malaysian riders to cheer for
2) There is a better "show" for MotoGP - three grand prix classes vs one with F1 - I'd say there is better value for money for the tickets
3) Motorcycles are huge in Malaysia/Indonesia - plus the nearest MotoGP races (until Indonesia hits the calender next year) is in Australia, Japan and China

But you are right - I suspect the hosting costs is a massive issue - but F1 really isnt doing its best to show a compelling product vs other series that run at the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom