• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Weird qualifying. Renault eDams doing poorly. DiGrassi near the back.

Edit:

1) Abt
2) Turvey
3) Engel (10-place grid penalty for gearbox change)
4) Lopez (smashed his other car in FP2, team needs to fix it)
5) Vergne

NOKYARD

Not much. The huge thermal efficiency means that a lot less energy is converted to noise.

I am certain that hiring a few Harley Davidson engineers would quickly rectify the low noise issue. Harley's are extremely efficient at converting fuel to noise.

Zeknurn

Weird qualifying. Renault eDams doing poorly. DiGrassi near the back.

Edit:

1) Abt
2) Turvey
3) Engel (10-place grid penalty for gearbox change)
4) Lopez (smashed his other car in FP2, team needs to fix it)
5) Vergne

It makes for a very interesting race.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
"Daniel Abt has been sent to the back of the grid for the Julius Baer Mexico City ePrix after his car was found to be running with illegal tyre pressures.

Abt, along with Faraday Future Dragon Racing’s Jerome D’Ambrosio, have been served with the penalty following post-qualifying checks.

It means that Oliver Turvey gets a surprise birthday present of his first Formula E pole. Alongside on the grid will be DS Virgin Racing’s Jose Maria Lopez."

I've decided to get back into Formula 1, after a very long absence. Can anyone recommend a podcast that focuses exclusively on Formula 1 racing? I love a good podcast to compliment my activities.

Can there really be a fair playing field for those two considering the fuel flow limits, effect of energy recovery etc. ?

Is there a fair playing field now? Has there ever been? At least the teams at the back of the grid wouldnt have to sink excess money into being dead last. And I'm sure the FIA could work out a reasonable solution with fuel usage, fuel limits and the KERS deployment.

Zeknurn

Is there an add free way to watch F1 in the US? NBC just ruins it for me

Legally?

I've seen people recommend Univision Deportes Network with BBC 5 Live for commentary.

Oh, now Mercedes can't run away from it, right?

It's inevitable for every car manufacturer that wants a presence in motor racing. You can't put off electric cars forever.

Mastah

As predicted by some, Wehrlein will miss another race:

Chris Medland‏ @ChrisMedlandF1 9s10 seconds ago

Wehrlein misses out again - Giovinazzi remains in the Sauber for the Chinese Grand Prix #F1

Pascal Wehrlein will again be replaced by Antonio Giovinazzi to ensure that the German will be back in the cockpit of the Sauber C36-Ferrari, in best physical shape, at the earliest possible opportunity – either the Bahrain Grand Prix or the Russian Grand Prix.

Rolfgang

Sorry for Wehrlein, but good for Giovinazzi; he showed a bit of potential last time around and he deserves a chance to advertise his skills to the big boys.

I was more impressed with Giovinazzi in one race compared to a whole season of Wehrlein. For Gio's sake, I wouldn't be mourning if Wehrlein would be out for the whole season.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Giovinazzi is a great driver, I knew he was going to make it to F1 eventually. Taking runner-up honours in GP2 as a rookie is no easy feat. I'm a little sad we probably won't be seeing a KFC livery though.

Zaru

Does the yearly cost cap for running a Formula E team even buy you more than one or two Mercedes F1 engines? It's all pocket change to those manufacturers, no reason to stay away at this point.

Jibbed

Wehrlein situation is quite weird to be honest...

Mercedes won' t go in with own team, they will probably take a share in existing team

There's more going on in the background than most realise.

Wehrlein's reasons for missing Australia were perfectly sound and that decision was his alone, but Giovanazzi being so strong with minimal notice/prep has complicated the situation considerably. Ferrari were fairly reluctant to let him drive for Sauber as it means he won't be allowed to compete in the 'young driver' (aka. complete rookie) test day for them later in the season.

Now Giovanazzi's shown he can do a good job (and the Italian press have thrown their weight behind him, fans are loving it etc.), it's looking like Ferrari are pulling the strings to keep him in that seat as long as possible. Sauber are as much as a Ferrari B team as Haas are, really. I'm sure Wehrlein is doing all he can to get back on form and there's more to his physical condition than what we're being told, but I don't think it's down to him this time around. As much as his manager might say otherwise.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Wouldn't be the first time Sauber left a driver hanging. Remember van der Garde?

Giedo is doing his best to make sure we don't forget.

t1B7Ula.png

Mastah

Yeah, he got that car (which wasn't perennial backmarker, mind you) few times impressively into Q2 and scored a point in Austria. And it's not like he was looking any worse against Ocon.

Meanwhile Giovinazzi with limited running was only 2 tenths behind Ericsson in quali, but it's all relative - let's no kid ourselves that Ericsson is some sort of Top 10, even Top 15 F1 driver. They were 4 tenths behind Alonso and in 2017 cars drivers make a difference again, so I think they were both outqualified by Fred in a slower car, which makes Gio's performance pretty ok, nothing more.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Hmm, but they have bought a place on the grid already.

I think that they reserved a place on a grid, but they can still change their mind

but with Mercedes going fully hybrid/electric I highly doubt it - I think that we should get more news in following months

Lach

I'm really confused with the Wehrlein situation. The increased fitness requirement this season is valid, but I can't imagine that he's still this far behind.

I feel like it's either that they're really downplaying the back problem situation (he has been medically cleared though), or that he is fed up to be put into a backmarker team again.
But I can't imagine that the second point would lead to him having zero motivation and not keeping fit.

On the other hand I don't think Mercedes would accept them sidelining Wehrlein for any other reason than actual medical/safety reasons.

xrnzaaas

Man it looks like Sauber will once again have a problem with not enough race seats later this year. That's assuming Wehrlein's current health condition is the real reason for his absence.

Zaru

Can you imagine the juicy behind the scenes story of a Ferrari protege in a Ferrari powered team without a driver contract vs. a Mercedes protege in the same team but with a contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom